• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

slasherjpc

Oct 25, 2017
LhJ2XHE.png

8xUrBA4.png

L8WK0SC.png

1NwOLJc.png

4qcWKsZ.png

4qtSSJL.png

2snhj6L.png

4ZJbuVx.png

rMnTN5n.png

HHTKGEn.png

B70uRBe.png

cZCXxm7.png

LcCcEdN.png

j0KNfR5.png

7pKhLKp.png

QiiPBxY.png

wYgNlId.png

gi5R7x3.png

ZXh1eEH.png

0BU3ySM.png

7Hdpl7X.png

The Evil Within 2 Story FAQ/Recap Information
Race against time video - with awesome music btw
Encountering "The Guardian" video - creature spoilers
Additional Screenshots, trailers, and artwork

9c7kToU.gif

zEuHdwF.png

OP
OP
slasherjpc

slasherjpc

Oct 25, 2017
Well maybe the preview screen was just busted... cause that worked! One moment! *and fixed!*

Last edited:

Miamiwesker

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
Here are my thoughts on it. Its not as good as the first, still a great game though. Last stretch of chapters were by far the best and its when the game started to feel as imaginative as the first. Chapter 14 was everything the game should have been, its what so much of the first game was, its what RE4 is in nearly every room. The clear difference from that levels encounter and the usual encounters you get throughout the game show why this game is a slight let down.

Its also telling that the best boss battle in the game
is just a collection of bosses from the first game
. There are weird glitches and terrible AI with some of the enemies, especially later ones. Sometimes stealth attacks work, sometimes it doesn't, there seems to be no method to it.

The story is more focused and makes sense compared to the first but I feel it loses a lot of personality. I enjoyed the characters from the first game much more, the mystery of the first game kept me engaged. The final chapters really bring the story home from a cheesy melodramatic one to a story with an actual good ending.

Game is still a bunch of fun, I cant get enough of games like this. I just wish it had more of the Mikami design all throughout.

OP
OP
slasherjpc

slasherjpc

Oct 25, 2017
Here are my thoughts on it. Its not as good as the first, still a great game though. Last stretch of chapters were by far the best and its when the game started to feel as imaginative as the first. Chapter 14 was everything the game should have been, its what so much of the first game was, its what RE4 is in nearly every room. The clear difference from that levels encounter and the usual encounters you get throughout the game show why this game is a slight let down.

Its also telling that the best boss battle in the game
is just a collection of bosses from the first game
. There are weird glitches and terrible AI with some of the enemies, especially later ones. Sometimes stealth attacks work, sometimes it doesn't, there seems to be no method to it.

The story is more focused and makes sense compared to the first but I feel it loses a lot of personality. I enjoyed the characters from the first game much more, the mystery of the first game kept me engaged. The final chapters really bring the story home from a cheesy melodramatic one to a story with an actual good ending.

Game is still a bunch of fun, I cant get enough of games like this. I just wish it had more of the Mikami design all throughout.

I'm still making my way through it, been a super busy time lately and on chapter 7 on Nightmare for my first run, it's been intense. Excited to get to the other half and see how I feel.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Is that you Slasher? Hi Wesker!

I'm waiting on the Pro / X patch before picking a version of this. I've heard nothing but glowing things so far. Hopefully it gets patched soon!

ZoSo006

Oct 25, 2017
Winnipeg
On chapter 14 currently on a mission to take down
Theodore.

It's been a huge thrillride thus far for me.

radian8

Oct 25, 2017
I've only just reached chapter 4 but got quite a few weapon parts. Any suggestions as to where to put them, is pistol or harpoon better?

Wonkafest

Oct 25, 2017
Close to finishing this game and man is the smoke bolt powerful
Upgrading the smoke bolt to allow for stealth kills lets you kill the flamethrower guys with only 2 or 3 smoke bolts

Gray

Oct 25, 2017
Is upgrading melee damage worth it?

I did upgrade it but I never got much use of it to be honest. There are better things to upgrade like stealth or save up for bullet time. It's probably more useful the second time around when you have the brass knuckles :)

Deleted member 4375

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm on Chapter 5 against a boss that is kind of destroying me. I'll just have to get better, is all. Really great game thus far.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
I personally love this game just as much as the first, but for very different reasons. This is one of those cases where having a pretty broad interest in different kinds of horror games benefits me, because I already knew when playing it some people would MUCH prefer TEW2 over the first game (to the point some who hated the first game may love the sequel), and some would MUCH prefer the original over TEW2 (to the point some who loved the first game may hate the sequel).

It's a very different game than the first one, it still has some jank but is overall more polished than the first game was and doesn't have the same 'lows' people had with the original. What it focuses on and does however will strike differently with different people.

My personal favorite chapters ended up being Chapter 3, 7, 9, 10, 11, and 14.

Dusk Golem where art thou

I'm here!

Rpgmonkey

Oct 25, 2017
Huh, went back to the Chapter 3 area in Chapter 7 to get some stuff I missed and a bunch of enemies respawned.

Nice for farming more gel but it's kinda annoying that after clearing out stuff to make scavenging easier more pop up, lol.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
I'm on Chapter 5 against a boss that is kind of destroying me. I'll just have to get better, is all. Really great game thus far.

Here's a little hint, there's a way to actually pass the boss without having to kill it, you can begin to do it from the start of the match, but you gotta' look around a bit and be observant.

kamineko

Linked the Fire
Oct 25, 2017
Accardi-by-the-Sea
Really loved it. The openness at the beginning felt a little like an existential crisis on Nightmare (no ammo, no idea where to go), but once I found my legs it was a hell of a ride

Will say more once I figure out spoilers. Glad to see the thread here.

Oct 25, 2017
Glad Justin and Dusk made it over safe!

I finished this a few days ago (just in time for Wolfenstein) and I thought it was great. The story resonated with me way more than TEW and the hub worlds and mechanics gelled really well. It was cohesive in ways that TEW could only imagine although my main criticism is while it was more cohesive overall it lacked a lot of the crazy horror variety of the original game.

Still, loved it and I hope we at least get a Kidman based DLC.

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for making this thread! Can't wait to continue to post impressions. I'm really really enjoying this game, just met Yukiko.

Doing all of the minigame stuff really gave me an upgrade boost, I'm just grabbing whatever now, I have pretty much everything I was hoping to get during the first playthrough. Used the level 3 Smoke Bolt for the first time. OP.

Already looking forward to future playthroughs, as well as revisiting the first game on PC.

Fancy Clown

Oct 25, 2017
Aye. This is like the only game I've played/wanted to talk about recently. Natch since I loved the first. Still (STILL) haven't beaten it. But so far I think the second half of the game hasn't been as strong as the first, which is surprising since I was looking forward to the linear sections more. But the more linear chapters thus far have lacked the variety of encounter design of the first game, and are bogged down with more walk and talk stuff, and the level design and even the welcome return to gothic environments feels lacking when compared to similar stages in the first game. The more open levels play way more to the strengths of this sequel imo.

Was not at all a fan of chapter 10 (apart from the first encounter ) and 12. 11 was pretty sweet, though the boss was a major bullet sponge.

Looking forward to finishing this bad boy up some time in the near future.

Sonichunter

Oct 25, 2017
This game is a great ride. Though a flawed game, i did enjoy it for what it was. Though i do not know if the game will have another squeal due to poor sales that i keep seeing.
I'm hoping for at least some DLC to better expand the game life-span.

mugendee

Oct 25, 2017
I really, really am loving it. Had the week off work and am so close to finishing now. It is getting really difficult, but just so damn good.

Oct 25, 2017
Nicely done OT.

Personally, I felt the game was a bit of a disappointment overall and two steps back after the step forward that was The Evil Within. :\
I'm currently working on my Classic mode playthrough to get the final achievement for 100%, so if anyone needs advice/tips for whatever sections, I'd be happy to help out.

CrusoeCMYK

Oct 25, 2017
I finished it asking myself if I enjoyed it nearly as much as the first, but still had a good time. Performance could use work but I was good to go after a bit of tweaking. Passable story though I was happy to see that they had closure to various subplots.

Is Sykes possibly dead? Let's say he made it out with his backdoor method, wouldn't the chip have ruptured his brain once STEM was taken offline?

Oct 25, 2017

While I wasn't the biggest fan of Joseph during the first game & DLC, I really would like to know what happened to him after the end of the original story.

I finished it asking myself if I enjoyed it nearly as much as the first, but still had a good time. Performance could use work but I was good to go after a bit of tweaking. Passable story though I was happy to see that they had closure to various subplots.

Is Sykes possibly dead? Let's say he made it out with his backdoor method, wouldn't the chip have ruptured his brain once STEM was taken offline?

Agree with most of what you say about the game, however, I know I didn't enjoy it nearly as much.
Among the problems I have, in no particular order:
  • Changed VAs, especially Sebastian.
  • Weak story premise and writing in general
  • Boring and stagnant locations and level design
  • Removal of mechanics and gameplay elements that added to the tension. I loved the match mechanic and feel they could've kept it if they just refined it to not be as janky in terms of being successful.
  • Uninspired antagonists who do not hold a candle to Ruvik.
  • Leaned way more into action than survival horror, IMO.
All of that said, there were some positive changes. I absolutely love the idea of classic mode here instead of Akumu mode. Especially after some of the checkpoints (or lack thereof) in the original. I've been waiting for another game to do something like this since Dead Space 2 Hardcore almost gave me a heart attack.

As far as your spoiler:
I think you're right. There was only a 1/4 chance he made it out... and there was no reference to another body type situation like Ruvik used with Leslie, so if he was lucky enough to not die, I think Myra/Juile's actions must've killed him.

Last edited:

Ultron

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So on the horror scale where does this fall? Is it more action horror-ish like RE4 and Dead Space or is closer to RE7 and PT? Basically I'm kind of a scaredy cat, but this game does seem interesting to me. And I was able to get through stuff like Dead Space and had a good time, but RE7 was uncomfortable for me to even watch someone else play.

Oct 25, 2017
So on the horror scale where does this fall? Is it more action horror-ish like RE4 and Dead Space or is closer to RE7 and PT? Basically I'm kind of a scaredy cat, but this game does seem interesting to me. And I was able to get through stuff like Dead Space and had a good time, but RE7 was uncomfortable for me to even watch someone else play.

It's definitely more action than horror. In the first few chapters, there's a good deal of tension, but by the time you hit chapter 4 or 5, I found it to be lacking in overall tension outside of "maybe I don't have enough ammo."

If you can handle Dead Space, I'm pretty sure you can handle this series, especially this entry.

RyougaSaotome

Oct 25, 2017
Been loving this. I'm only in chapter 6, but the balance between crazy visuals and morphing horror + action has really been hitting the sweet spot. The open hub sections have been wonderfully tense in some surprising ways, too.

I'd hate to see this game get lost in the sea of 2017 releases.

CrusoeCMYK

Oct 25, 2017
As far as your spoiler:
I think you're right. There was only a 1/4 chance he made it out... and there was no reference to another body type situation like Ruvik used with Leslie, so if he was lucky enough to not die, I think Myra/Juile's actions must've killed him.

Yeah, just a little food for thought. Hopefully the DLC will enlighten us about this as well as the current status of various characters.

KDC720

Oct 25, 2017
Got to the chapter 11 boss a few nights ago, still really enjoying the game and taking my sweet time with it. One thing I really enjoyed was when I backtracked to the Business district during chapter 11 to do a certain sidequest was that it had changed pretty dramatically, reminded me a lot of the Arkham games in a sense that
defeating one villain leaves a spot for others to take over, and the environment and enemies change to reflect that

The Chapter 11 boss is a pain in the butt though, honestly it's the first boss encounter I find to be kind of bad thus far.