• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mr. Pointy

Oct 28, 2017
I think people are just confused because there's no 3DS BC on the Switch. Every Nintendo handheld had BC for the previous model up to this point. So a Switch port of SM was the thing people were thinking might happen, in spite of the fact that the Switch userbase is still minuscule compared to the 3DS.

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
A couple of things:
- Neither Nintendo nor any other party involved ever stated that Pokémon Switch would come out next year.
- Pokémon Black 2 and White 2 came out in June of 2012. The 3DS system had been out since February of 2011. By comparison, this is nothing.
- Even if Pokémon Switch came out this holiday, it wouldn't really benefit Nintendo. They're already selling as many Switches as they're making. It's actually better for them to wait a year or two.
- The game is still going to sell millions, even if it only reaches around half of what Sun and Moon did.

Deleted member 9486

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
As most everyone has noted it's easy money being an updated on the last games (reuse assets) and the 3DS base is huge while Switch is just getting started.

I do agree with others that they really need to strive to get Pokémon on Switch next year. Sony has a killer lineup next year with all the stuff that got delayed from this year and things like TLOU2.

Nintendo needs to keep their game release momentum going after this incredible launch year. Things announced like Yoshi, Kirby and Fire Emblem are nice for the base but aren't killer app system sellers like Mario, BOTW or Pokémon. They've stated they are trying not to announce things too early after all the delays BOTW had, especially after dedicating an E3 to it and not launching that year. So hopefully we'll see some big announcements of major fall games in Q1.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
The games exist because Gamefreak felt there was enough to add to what was already there. Here is a good interview explaining their mindset during development:
http://nintendoeverything.com/game-...ultra-moon-development-new-features-and-more/
I honestly think the game is gonna surprise a lot of you in terms of what's added and how much the story is going to change. I personally would not have minded sequels, but I can also see that with SM having such a complete story and development arcs for its characters, its a cool idea to revisit then while also adding a whole slew of new things for added depth.
Another thing is, that USUM is dealing with a lot of issues that plagued SM, and the games honestly deserve the refinement they are being given here then say what we got with Emerald and Platinum. More interactive Pokerides, Trials with some much needed depth and presentation, its all those little things that I can justify a purchase.
Lastly, I cannot find the other interview, but its clear that Gamefreak does not intend to release Pokemon on Switch until they feel they need to. Said interview has a blurb that has em in record saying that (paraphrasing here)they felt a one year gap happened this time around because of all the ideas that they have and using them right now, but also because two or even three years later Alola won't be so fresh and recent in everyone's mind to justify a purchase. It sounds to me from all their interviews recently that they wanted to do one last push on the 3DS before focusing on the Switch, basically leaving 2018 as a free year to do what they have to do.

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
Has the OP reposted in this thread because everyone has pretty thoroughly addressed their bafflement.

Ickerday

Oct 28, 2017
Do keep in mind that US/UM is playground for the newer staff to try out new idea and improve their skills while the senior staff is building Pokemon Switch. These younger staffs are essential for longevity of the franchise.

This is a pretty good argument for the existence of US/UM, it's that I'd like more of a Crystal/Emerald/Platinum kinda entry.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
A couple of things:
- Neither Nintendo nor any other party involved ever stated that Pokémon Switch would come out next year.
2018 or later was the wording used, based on the E3 announcement.

It's pretty clear to me from everything we've heard that the initial plan, at least, was for Pokémon Switch to be out at the end of next year. Give it two weeks, and we'll be able to see whether that's still the case.

Deleted member 10293

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Did you forget Black and White 2? Both were super late DS games, were two sequels, but had new stories and great content. Ultra looks like it'll have better post-game than S/M at least, and a different story. Pokemon is a yearly franchise anyway. This is par for the course.
This is pretty much the reason and I'd like to include that B2 and W2 were both thought of as pointless when announced but we're insanely good in a variety of ways, especially if you liked B/W. I'm not super hyped up for Ultra S/M because I didn't think the regulars were amazing but I'd be lying if I said I was pretty interested

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
Let's just wait and see.

The gold standard for predicting Pokémon generations is Mythical Pokémon. They basically never go for a year without a new Pokémon to reveal and distribute to go along with that year's movie, and we've run out of Gen VII Mythical Pokémon as of right now. There are two potential options- if USUM have a new Mythical Pokémon or two, we're probably going to be waiting into 2019 for the new generation. If they don't, then they're going to be showing off new Gen VIII Pokémon in a matter of months, with a release at the end of next year. We'll see in a few weeks.
Well there is technically one more "mythical" Pokémon that has yet to be used in the form of Eternal Flower Floette. Like Zygarde, it was a victim of Z getting skipped, but it was never incorporated into Sun and Moon.

I think the likelihood of it actually getting used is somewhat low at this point, but it seems possible at least.

This is all par for the course when it comes to the series.

-SM was lacking in extra content, and the region had too many closed off areas
-GF has never cared how long the newest Nintendo console is out
-Pokémon Switch isn't even ready anyways. This would be the first HD mainline game ever, and GF is known to not have technical prowess as their strong suit.
-updates of whatever region the newest generation introduces is tradition at this point. Only XY was left as is, and most think Z was only skipped because of the anniversary date.
-why not give the 3DS one last multi-million seller before moving on?

Iucidium

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like B&W2 being billed as a sequel and the 3DS being slow to take off helped it a lot more than it would.

It's very clearly being set up as the Switch's big holiday game next year like Mario was. Everyone knows Pokemon Switch is going to be huge.
After watching "Pokémon The Movie: I choose you" this needs to have MMO elements (instances/public events for powerful Pokémon etc)

Zyrox

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Regarding Pokémon Switch: I'm 100% sure it'll be 2019. Why? Let's think about it for a second:
- Sun/Moon came out late last year, assuming most of the SM devs now work on Pokémon Switch, a 2018 release would mean a 2 year dev cycle (maybe a little more if they started during S/M)
- it'll be on an HD system (heck, the gap in power between 3DS and Switch is even bigger than the one between PS2 and PS3). Outside of the elephant game (which was a small project), GF has not done any development for an HD system. The transition to HD has been rough for many developers
- not only will they transition to HD but to the big screen as well which comes with a certain set of expectations from the audience which have to be taken into consideration during development. Being on a home console and especially being designed with that in mind from the get go is also a first for GF's mainline Pokémon franchise

I just can't see the Switch game happening in 2018 taking all of this into account.

On topic: USUM is basically an enhanced third version as they've done many times in the past. Nothing particularily baffling about it.

EvilRedEye

Oct 29, 2017
I have no objection to them producing these as from B2/W2 it's clear they prefer to exploit console adoption rather than drive it but I do think by going somewhere in-between a Yellow/Crystal/Emerald/Platinum third version and B2/W2 that they've fallen between two stools. I think a lot of people are parsing these as unexciting pseudo-sequels rather than exciting enhanced versions and I suspect we may not see this precise formula used again.

mjw

Oct 27, 2017
Regarding Pokémon Switch: I'm 100% sure it'll be 2019. Why? Let's think about it for a second:
- Sun/Moon came out late last year, assuming most of the SM devs now work on Pokémon Switch, a 2018 release would mean a 2 year dev cycle (maybe a little more if they started during S/M)
- it'll be on an HD system (heck, the gap in power between 3DS and Switch is even bigger than the one between PS2 and PS3). Outside of the elephant game (which was a small project), GF has not done any development for an HD system. The transition to HD has been rough for many developers
- not only will they transition to HD but to the big screen as well which comes with a certain set of expectations from the audience which have to be taken into consideration during development. Being on a home console and especially being designed with that in mind from the get go is also a first for GF's mainline Pokémon franchise

I just can't see the Switch game happening in 2018 taking all of this into account.

On topic: USUM is basically an enhanced third version as they've done many times in the past. Nothing particularily baffling about it.
This. Judging from the TPC CEO's comments it also sounds like they've barely started and probably didn't intend on making an RPG game for Switch. There's no way it makes it out in time for 2018

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Pokemon Switch in 2019 is going to be the new "Xenoblade 2 in 2018" isn't it?
Uh huh.

They were plainly aiming to get it out next year, and we've got no real evidence as of right now that this is no longer the case. There's every chance it won't be out until 2019, but there's zero reason to dismiss it as of right now.

KCsoLucky

Oct 29, 2017
I am personally super disappointed that it's not on Switch, but I would have questioned Nintendo if they didn't make it cross-gen at a very minimum(which I still think/wish it would have been).