• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
is just a re-release so Nintendo is now heavy marketing it, also is pretty much just a training cause the ones making em are new comer, core older team already moved on to Pokemon Switch

Okay. So it doesn't have a new or vastly different campaign? I'm hoping not.

I remembered they were coming, and realized they were so close, when I saw a Nintendo commercial tonight while at the movies. Victor Lucas was interviewing someone about them.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm confused. Are Ultra Sun and Moon actually new in that the story is different and everything plays out differently?

Not like some new scenes. If I played through most of Sun last year how much of the story would be new? A lot or a portion. Sorry if this is already abundantly clear to many, I'm confused

And while I do wish this was cross gen on Switch I can't wait for the first Switch only Pokémon

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
US/UM not reaching 7m would be a disaster, there's a 1% chance of that happening.

About being a system seller, you can't sell what you don't have. It doesn't matter that Pokémon could move stock if they wouldn't be able to match the demand on the factories.
Platinum sold 7 million and Emerald sold less than that, so I wouldn't expect too much.

TheGreatLugia

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a source for this? I figured Pokemon Switch was in early development during the production of Sun and Moon, if the Pokemon models in-game are anything to go by.
I was referring to Nintendo's earnings release a few months ago that lists "Pokémon RPG for Nintendo Switch (temp.) 2018 or later" https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2017/170726_2e.pdf

This summary of a famitsu article with Ohmori and Iwai also claims that everyone at Game Freak was working on Sun and Moon: http://nintendoeverything.com/game-...tra-moon-development-new-features-and-more/2/

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
US/UM not reaching 7m would be a disaster, there's a 1% chance of that happening.

About being a system seller, you can't sell what you don't have. It doesn't matter that Pokémon could move stock if they wouldn't be able to match the demand on the factories.
I don't think you know how much third entries have sold and how fast 3DS is fading away.

Deleted member 8001

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I have no issue with this existing. I do think, however, it being one year after SuMo feels way too soon and makes me not necessarily enthusiastic to purchase it.

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
Every main pokemon game gets a 2nd entry/sequel. This release pattern is completely consistent with history. To me there are exactly zero things baffling about this. Everyone else has has already stated the other important points such as the 3ds is still selling, the 3ds is where the pokemon audience is, the game is gonna make a lot of money, the Switch game is gonna cost more and take time, etc. It's also worth noting that this game is giving younger devs at gamefreak a chance to take more of the lead. This was mentioned in a recent interview, I believe. So it makes sense and is a positive thing all around.

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
Between the OP and your posts afterwards you really just seem to have an issue with the fact that it's not on Switch.

You're obviously bothered, making a thread about it and all... but why? Did you for some reason honestly believe they'd port 3DS assets to Switch? Or that Sun and Moon would somehow be exempt from another version?

Neapolitan

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I'm confused. Are Ultra Sun and Moon actually new in that the story is different and everything plays out differently?

Not like some new scenes. If I played through most of Sun last year how much of the story would be new? A lot or a portion. Sorry if this is already abundantly clear to many, I'm confused

We know that the story do get changed. Relevant quote:

"Characters from the "Ultra Expedition Team" make an appearance, and that's where the story changes. They appear at the opening of the game, so you'll be able to start the game with excitement."

However, at this point we can't really say how much this will change the existing story.

And while I do wish this was cross gen on Switch I can't wait for the first Switch only Pokémon

Unfortunately, Pokemon never did and presumably never will do cross-gen games.

eKongDiddy

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Beach City
I've wanted the 3DS to die a fast death ever since I got a Switch. I just can't go back to it. I don't know how I used to play on that thing. 3rd parties also need to hurry up and move those handheld games over to the Switch for those who played them.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
One of the most iterative game series gets the expected 3rd version. People buy every version of Fifa and NFL, and those are similarly iterative with an updated roster and 1 or 2 minor gameplay changes. If it aint broke, dont fix it I guess.... even if sometimes they literally remove good things or make things worse for weird reasons.

You can say its pointless, but a lot of people already buy both versions of a new generation which is even less unique.

Last edited:

Urban Scholar

Oct 30, 2017
Florida
I still taken a back by the fact in 2017, there's a Pokemon game where you can kick evil organization leaders asses again.

I mean Giovanni came back? Man that's crazy.

OP
OP

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Every main pokemon game gets a 2nd entry/sequel. This release pattern is completely consistent with history. To me there are exactly zero things baffling about this. Everyone else has has already stated the other important points such as the 3ds is still selling, the 3ds is where the pokemon audience is, the game is gonna make a lot of money, the Switch game is gonna cost more and take time, etc. It's also worth noting that this game is giving younger devs at gamefreak a chance to take more of the lead. This was mentioned in a recent interview, I believe. So it makes sense and is a positive thing all around.

Except for X and Y so the precedent has been set.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Why? There wasn't a 3ds version of BW2, or a ds version of emerald, etc. It would be a waste of sources when they are making gen 8 for the switch.
3DS and DS were backwards compatible.

It wouldn't be a waste of sources. The sales would definitely cover the cost of adding an additional platform. I never said they should cancel making a new Pokémon game.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
3DS and DS were backwards compatible.

It wouldn't be a waste of sources. The sales would definitely cover the cost of adding an additional platform. I never said they should cancel making a new Pokémon game.
I'm sure they want to first Switch game to be something original made from the ground up rather than an enhanced 3DS port.

Slamtastic

Oct 26, 2017
It's just bonus content for an already made game. An expansion (that should be DLC IMO). Game Freak can still have plenty of staff making the Switch game while a skeleton crew models 3 new creatures possible designed during the initial games and Giovanni, and put it out there.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
That's more than extremely unlikely. For one, gamefreak isn't known to rush things or go by Nintendo's timeline. They go on their own beat. If they want, they'll release it in spring 2019.

The switch is also an entirely new infrastructure from the 3ds, even more different than the ds to 3ds...plus I doubt they would want their first "console" mainline games to be just an upgraded 3ds engine. Gen 6 was a new engine from gen 5, same with gen 4 to 3, etc.
Aren't both the Switch & the 3DS ARM-based? Also, MT Framework was used for both the 3DS Monster Hunter games as well as MH World, so such an upgrade for Pokémon's 3DS engine isn't impossible.

Nav

Oct 27, 2017
As others have said, $$$. Demand is there.

The real question is, why did they skip a year and not make Pokemon Z?

Fart Master

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
A dumpster
Game probably cost very little to make and will sell a fuck ton even if it's not up the quality of the other games.

AzureFlame

Oct 30, 2017
Kuwait
I see US & UM as the definitive versions and i don't think they'll be worth my time, I'm just hoping that they don't rush things with Gen 8 like they did with the 3DS games.

OP
OP

Deleted member 6730

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hasn't been a thing because of 1 generation; it's probably not worth discussing this with you if you can't get past this.
It wasn't one generation it was the newest one hence why I thought it was setting a precedent along with Black and White which did the same thing and Platinum came out 9 years ago. Maybe it's probably not worth discussing this with you if can't read.

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
I don't know man all the 3ds games feel so unpolished compared to the gba and ds games. Maybe I was too young to notice bugs and shitty frame rates. I don't think their bad but compared to stuff like Heart Gold/Soul Silver they don't live up to the same standard.

I'm not sure if that's an optimization thing or a 3DS limitation, the games play better on a New 3DS. Switch Pokemon won't have that problem I'm confident of that, the quality of the content has never been in question for me personally but i can see the games performance being a sore spot for many.

Officer K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know man all the 3ds games feel so unpolished compared to the gba and ds games. Maybe I was too young to notice bugs and shitty frame rates. I don't think their bad but compared to stuff like Heart Gold/Soul Silver they don't live up to the same standard.
I haven't experienced any bugs, and the framerate issues exist only when I'm in double battle/battle royale, using the OG 3DS XL. Probably beacause the 3DS hardware is really old and outdated.

Lugia

Oct 27, 2017
I'm more hyped than ever for this game, and 3rd versions always sell a lot less than new generations.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't experienced any bugs, and the framerate issues exist only when I'm in double battle/battle royale, using the OG 3DS XL. Probably beacause the 3DS hardware is really old and outdated.

The framerate dips hard in any battle with SoS happening including totem battles, and it lags like crazy in Refresh when looking at something detailed like Solgaleo.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
You probably just don't remember. Diamond and Pearl is absolutely a mess of a game. Platinum barely fixed its technical issues.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gamefreak doesn't make cross-gen games. Also wouldn't be good for them to release a SM third version as their first big HD Pokémon game - they'll hype it up a lot.

Bigger issue with USUM is being just one year after SM, but 2018 would maybe be too late for a 3DS game, so they're releasing it now.

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
After Black and White 2 managed to be my absolute least favorite Pokemon games by a WIDE margin, I can cool off the whole sequel dealio thing for the same generation.
I didn't expect the franchise to move to Switch, so I'm not disappointed there either.

The lack of new Alolan Pokemon that are NOT Gen I is worrying as is the return of Team Rocket for more adherence to Gen I, which I'm sick to death of. Oh well.
Also new Ultra Beasts isn't particularly pleasing because I hate the design direction of the UBs (outside of Guzzlord) and the new ones are right on track with how much I hate the UBs.

BUT... I'm holding out hope for Battle Frontier. I will always hold out hope for a Battle Frontier. I've been extraordinarily bitter about its absence, but I will continue to hold onto faith.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
The new Pokemon games are due in a couple of weeks and usually I'm really excited. This time however I'm not really seeing the hype. Not much among here or social media or between any of my Pokemon loving friends IRL. Of course, it's still going to sell well but it's also obvious there's going to be a dip in sales between the this and the last game. How big? Well no one knows but I can imagine it won't be insignificant. There's a few reasons why:
-It's the third (and fourth?!) version of Sun and Moon
-Nintendo's pushing the Switch for black Friday
-It's also not on Switch
-A new Pokemon game on Switch is due out next year undermining this one

I'm baffled why this game exists besides it's probably cheap and easy to reuse Sun and Moon assets, but even then the third version of Pokemon kinda hasn't been a thing because it's becoming pointless to have one. If this game was on Switch it would be huge but as of now, I'm not really feeling it.

These are enhanced versions, just like Yellow, Platinum, Emerald, Crystal. It exists because this generation just started and they aren't going to shift to a new hardware without it being a new generation as that would make no sense and cause connectivity issues.

Yes, it'll sell less than Sun & Moon, all Enhanced versions typically sell around half of the initial. That's how it goes.

Yes, Switch did hamper this a bit. Thanks to Eurogamer, everyone was sure it'd be on the Switch, despite my insistence it wouldn't be and then when it wasn't, people bitched to the point that TPC had to reveal the Switch game to calm people which obviously has issues in itself.

The 3DS wasn't set to die the moment the Switch came out, but continue on for a while in case the Switch collapsed. This is nothing new.

Oct 27, 2017
Does seem like a weird thing to do, but, personally, I haven't played any SuMo yet, so USuMo will be a nice package for me.

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I'm 100% positive this game will sell more copies on 3DS than there are Switches in the world.
I highly doubt that tbh. Crystal, Emerald, Platinum and B2W2 all sold about half of what the original versions did. That would put a reasonable estimate for USUM at about 8 million copies sold, right? Well at least 7.63 million Switch's have been sold WW so far, and that was before the release of Super Mario Odyssey.

On top of that....there's a lot more going against this game than previous 'Director's Cut' versions. For starters - it isn't playable on the new hardware. Even though Emerald, Black & White and B2W2 released after the launch of the GBA and 3DS respectively, they could be played on the current hardware. Whereas the people who have moved on to the Switch will not be able to play it on their shiny new device. I think that will surely have an impact on sales?

Then you have the huge backlash to the news of USUM being on the 3DS at all after the widespread rumour that it would be releasing on the Switch. That rumour built up a lot of people's expectations, and so USUM feel insignificant now. I also get the sense that there's a bit of fatigue with the series in general atm as well? Or maybe it's just too soon since Sun & Moon and B2W2 set the bar too high or something, but I've never seen so many people so apathetic to one of these versions before.

I think it will be lucky to hit 7 million copies sold at this point.

GoldStarz

Oct 25, 2017
No there isn't. At least, not that we know of and it's not likely to happen. Pokemon Switch is most likely for 2019. We know for a fact that they were late starting it and the announcement of it for Switch was likely only to quell backlash against USUM (because people were stupid and thought 'Stars' was something coming to the Switch)

Papertoonz

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017

Game Freak usually take 3 or more years to make the game that starts a new generation of pokemon

the first switch pokemon will more than likely be the first game of generation 8, so why do you think it's gonna be out next year?

you're making the exact same mistake that people did with Stars, basing your logic on rumors and very small amounts of info instead of basing it the developer history

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Game Freak usually take 3 or more years to make the game that starts a new generation of pokemon

the first switch pokemon will more than likely be the first game of generation 8, so why do you think it's gonna be out next year?

you're making the exact same mistake that people did with Stars, basing your logic on rumors and very small amounts of info instead of basing it the developer history
Exactly. People ignored all logic and tradition when believing the Stars rumour. We had literally just started the Sun & Moon generation and they wouldn't shift hardware mid-generation with no connectivity possible.

CarthOhNoes

Someone is plagiarizing this post
Oct 25, 2017
People keep talking about B/W 2 being on DS but they're forgetting that 3DS could play DS games. So people who who got rid of / sold their DS and bought a 3DS (which is what most normal people do when buying new hardware) could still be hyped to play it.

I wasn't in the slightest bit surprised that USM came out on 3DS. They weren't going to ditch that install base so fast. However, given that Capcom found a way to get cross play working with Monster Hunter XX I was extremely surprised they didn't do it for Pokemon.

Despite what certain people say, they could have got the connectivity working. They could have come up with workarounds. That they decided not to was surprising to me - if Capcom did it with MH XX it can't have been that difficult. Can you imagine Christmas this year if Switch had Pokemon coming as well this year? It would be carnage.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
Regarding Pokémon release cycle, producer Ohmori said the following to Famitsu.

Ohmori: nowadays the rate at which people get new information is very fast because of the internet. The cycle of getting new information and digesting it has become very short. In such an age, I feel that it's becoming more important to release new information and new games as soon as possible. This is why we have new releases in a short period of time [referring to Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon].

CarthOhNoes

Someone is plagiarizing this post
Oct 25, 2017
that's why don't want to put out a game on the switch yet, they want to wait till the switch is in more hands and then put a game out so it can reach the widest audience

Well yes, but I was saying in my post that, if it had been on both, they would have sold even more. They would have sold gangbusters on 3DS and the attach rate on switch would have been mental. It surprised me that they didn't work around the connectivity issues and release USM for both. The connectivity issues were absolutely not insurmountable given that Capcom got full real time cross platform play MH working.