• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Well yes, but I was saying in my post that, if it had been on both, they would have sold even more. They would have sold gangbusters on 3DS and the attach rate on switch would have been mental. It surprised me that they didn't work around the connectivity issues and release USM for both. The connectivity issues were absolutely not insurmountable given that Capcom got full real time cross platform play MH working.

But they only got it working online, not local and contrary to what people believe, local play for Pokémon is huge.

CarthOhNoes

Someone is plagiarizing this post
Oct 25, 2017
But they only got it working online, not local and contrary to what people believe, local play for Pokémon is huge.

They could have had online cross play and local just from Switch to Switch. So switch owners could have traded and battle online with 3DS owners and done it locally with other switch owners.

Other games have local play on Switch - Mario Kart for example.

They COULD have worked around it. I was surprised they chose not to, given that the technical challenges probably weren't insurmountable.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
They could have had online cross play and local just from Switch to Switch. So switch owners could have traded and battle online with 3DS owners and done it locally with other switch owners.

Other games have local play on Switch - Mario Kart for example.

They COULD have worked around it. I was surprised they chose not to, given that the technical challenges probably weren't insurmountable.

Ok, then let's go with this. VGC 2018, players playing on 3DS and Switch, all locally done. Explain how it's done without it being unfair to players who play on the 3DS?

It's the same exact game, with a few pokemon and some tweaks to the story, sold at full price. How about they offer an upgrade program via dlc if you have the base game? I wanna see if they dare price it at 50 €.
You what? These are the most different enhanced versions to ever exist. The story is different now, significant post-game changes. Come on.

CarthOhNoes

Oct 25, 2017
Ok, then let's go with this. VGC 2018, players playing on 3DS and Switch, all locally done. Explain how it's done without it being unfair to players who play on the 3DS?

I'm not convinced it would be unfair. These aren't games which rely on frame rate / resolution to see people from a long way away. Am I misunderstanding something here? The Switch owners would play the same game but with a higher resolution and a smoother frame rate - which makes zero difference in a turn based game anyway.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I'm not convinced it would be unfair. These aren't games which rely on frame rate / resolution to see people from a long way away. Am I misunderstanding something here? The Switch owners would play the same game but with a higher resolution and a smoother frame rate - which makes zero difference in a turn based game anyway.
It's unfair because they wouldn't be able to connect and would need to buy a Switch to compete with the same game they have been playing.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see what's baffling about Game Freak wanting to make money. They obviously know USUM isn't going to sell as much as SM. Pretty much every third version sells about half. However, selling several million copies on reused assets is something most game developers would kill for.

I too am disappointed USUM isn't on Switch/3DS like Monster Hunter XX, but Game Freak really does things at their own pace and there's no huge rush. They've never developed a console Pokemon game, nor an HD title, so it's a major transition for them. It's true Nintendo is pushing Switch hard this holiday, but they aren't completely abandoning the 3DS as that thing still moves units. They are even putting out a Zelda 2DS this month.

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
Given the combative and selective nature of OP's responses thus far I'd wager that when he made this thread it was blind approval that he sought rather than genuine discussions or reasoning.

CarthOhNoes

Oct 25, 2017
It's unfair because they wouldn't be able to connect and would need to buy a Switch to compete with the same game they have been playing.

Then they could connect online using wireless internet. Have a huge wireless network which I'm sure these events do anyway and a robust friend system in place allowing people to easily find people and add them.

Ok it isn't ideal, however it would absolutely have been doable. That's all I'm saying. It also would have made a truck load of money.

Personally I think the real reason USM isn't on Switch as well as 3DS isn't technical at all. It's that GF are conservative in the extreme and didn't think the Switch was going to be a success. They didn't "get it". I bet that if GF / The Pokemon Company knew, in 2015 / 2016 when they started working on USM, how successful Switch was going to be, we would have seen a cross platform version. I think they thought it was going to bomb, Wii u style and so just hedged their bets on 3DS.

Papertoonz

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Personally I think the real reason USM isn't on Switch as well as 3DS isn't technical at all. It's that GF are conservative in the extreme and didn't think the Switch was going to be a success. They didn't "get it". I bet that if GF / The Pokemon Company knew, in 2015 / 2016 when they started working on USM, how successful Switch was going to be, we would have seen a cross platform version. I think they thought it was going to bomb, Wii u style and so just hedged their bets on 3DS.

they more than likely started working on pokemon switch back when they finished Sun and Moon

they have more than one team you know, they weren't waiting around just to see how the switch was doing before deciding how to move forward

CarthOhNoes

Oct 25, 2017
they started working on the switch game back when they finished Sun and Moon

they have more than one team you know
If they started on the Switch game in 2015, when they finished Sun and Moon, that would make 2018 the most likely date for Pokemon Switch right? 3 year dev cycle? If they really did start in 2015 then a 2019 launch would mean a 4 year cycle, have any other the other games had a 4 year dev time?

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
I passed on Sun Moon in part due to Pokemon fatigue, but mostly because I loved mega evolutions which had reignited my interest for the series, and they seem to have taken a back seat in the new installments. I'm not confident in their future because Gamefreak has a track record of removing big features (world map flying in ORAS where did you go ?)

Also, my favorite pokemon Lucario wasn't catchable in SM.

I'll probably be skipping Ultra Sun Moon as well. I hope the Switch one is great and features mega evolutions. It could make me buy the console (that or Xenoblade X 2 if that's ever a thing).

So yeah, no hype for Ultra SM for me.

Papertoonz

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
If they started on the Switch game in 2015, when they finished Sun and Moon, that would make 2018 the most likely date for Pokemon Switch right? 3 year dev cycle? If they really did start in 2015 then a 2019 launch would mean a 4 year cycle, have any other the other games had a 4 year dev time?

Sun and Moon came out last year, 2016 not 2015

and yeah there there was a time were the gap was 4 years, two in fact. Gen3 started late 2002 and Gen 4 started late 2006, 4 years between. and Gen 5 started late 2010, another 4 year gap

Also, my favorite pokemon Lucario wasn't catchable in SM.

yeah he was, you could catch a Lucario on the final island

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
A game looking much nicer is not zero difference.

This is how it looks without any actual enhancement, just the same game running at a higher resolution:
https://youtu.be/ZF5HCymrEQY

It's a major improvement, even without replacing the low res assets like UI, backgrounds and textures.

With even a small amount of work it could be improved a lot further, in theory.

Edit: Oh I misunderstood the point being discussed here. Yeah I agree with you.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
I mean I couldn't give a fuck about it but then I didn't even complete Moon. The 3D Pokemon titles have been by far the worst in the series. Slow, boring, small.

Radishhead

Oct 30, 2017
The game doesn't seem to change enough for me to justify the purchase. I'm just really looking forward to seeing what they can do for the Switch version.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
And it baffles me how people forget how 3rd/special versions look like. They are doing this since Pokémon Yellow, so 17 years now and the 3rd versions are mostly considered to be people's favorite versions (Yellow, Crystal, Emerald, Platinum and Black/White 2).

Nathan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
France
For me, the problem with this game is the story. I would have preferred a sequel like Black/White 2, with old Gladion, Lily, Lusamine, Hau... But maybe this one will be better, we don't know yet !

I will probably skip USUM because of Xenoblade 2 anyway (and I don't use my 3DS anymore.).

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Then they could connect online using wireless internet. Have a huge wireless network which I'm sure these events do anyway and a robust friend system in place allowing people to easily find people and add them.

Ok it isn't ideal, however it would absolutely have been doable. That's all I'm saying. It also would have made a truck load of money.

What if there's no online access like there isn't at most of these events?

There is no logical reason for it to be on the switch. That's why it's not. It's a 3DS generation and connectivity prevents it being cross platform and with connectivity being key in Pokémon, that's a big deal

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
What if there's no online access like there isn't at most of these events?

There is no logical reason for it to be on the switch. That's why it's not. It's a 3DS generation and connectivity prevents it being cross platform and with connectivity being key in Pokémon, that's a big deal
Use a phone? I've played Mario Kart online via Bluetooth. Or perhaps get WiFi for the biggest competitive Pokémon event of the year? I doubt VGC18 had any effect on the decision to not put USUM on the Switch. GF didn't put USUM on the Switch because they didn't want to.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Use a phone? I've played Mario Kart online via Bluetooth. Or perhaps get WiFi for the biggest competitive Pokémon event of the year? I doubt VGC18 had any effect on the decision to not put USUM on the Switch. GF didn't put USUM on the Switch because they didn't want to.
I didn't say VGC is why. I'm saying connectivity is why. VGC is just the easiest example.

MrBadger

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not baffled, of course they were going to make a third S/M. X/Y is the only time they didn't. But I have to admit this is the least interested I've ever been in Pokemon. I thought S/M was terribly dull and the addition of more Gen 1 stuff isn't really selling me on the sequel

jariw

Oct 27, 2017
I think it makes lots of sense, business wise. They are reusing assets, and aims towards an existing user base of the older games.

It now has a "2018 or later"

The game isn't hitting 2018.

The game releases 2018 or later. I doubt Nintendo has that much impact on the ways Game Freak does things.

Toadette

Oct 29, 2017
This happens every time when nintendo releases a new handheld and people always act surprised. Black and white 2 came out after the 3ds was released. Emerald came out right before the ds in Japan and several months after the ds was released in america. Crystal released a little bit after the gba did in america. Point is gamefreak wants to milk as much money out of the old system before moving onto the next. This will happen yet again whenever the switch 2 or whatever is released.
You posted what exactly what I was going to say. Lol.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
I wonder what the viewers numbers are watching Pokemon from back in 2000 and kids today.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Every main pokemon game gets a 2nd entry/sequel. This release pattern is completely consistent with history. To me there are exactly zero things baffling about this. Everyone else has has already stated the other important points such as the 3ds is still selling, the 3ds is where the pokemon audience is, the game is gonna make a lot of money, the Switch game is gonna cost more and take time, etc. It's also worth noting that this game is giving younger devs at gamefreak a chance to take more of the lead. This was mentioned in a recent interview, I believe. So it makes sense and is a positive thing all around.

Just this

Jadebell

Oct 27, 2017
The 3DS wasn't set to die the moment the Switch came out, but continue on for a while in case the Switch collapsed. This is nothing new.

This. People need to stop complaining that the game is not on Switch. Them's the breaks if you're an early adopter - it takes time for developers to wrap up on an old platform and switch to a new one, which means a brand new console's library isn't going to be as fleshed out as it would be at the middle or end of that console's life. The pattern of previous Pokemon releases means I would expect the Switch game to come out in 2019.

The problem isn't that Ultra Sun & Ultra Moon are on 3DS, the problem is that they're coming out only a year after Sun and Moon, which isn't enough time to offset franchise fatigue IMO.

BobsReset

Chicken Chaser
Oct 26, 2017
I'm really confused with these games too, I never got around to picking up Sun or Moon but figured I would wait for the ultra re release but now I can't tell if this is a sequel or a enhanced re release?

Should I be playing Sun/ moon before I play this? I can't tell.

Conrad Link

Oct 29, 2017
New Zealand
Honestly, Sun/Moon killed the franchise for me a little bit. I really didn't like it.

So I have zero interest in going back to that world, I'm just hoping the next entry on Switch brings my love back for Pokemon.

I purchased Pokemon Red on GB day 1, and have done so for every 'new' (mainline and even most the spinoff) Pokemon games day 1 since - Ultra will be the first time I don't get it straight away. I'll pick it up later down the line for my collection, but I can't see me actually ever playing it. A bit sad really when I think about it, just how nothing I feel towards it. :(

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
When will people stop seeing patterns everywhere, and think Game Freak cares about them ?

It's not about patterns. It's just how game development works. This will be Gamefreak's first foray into HD Pokemon, and their first foray into 3D Pokemon was a shitshow, so I wouldn't be surprised if this game is undercooked even in fall 2019.

Papertoonz

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
I'm really confused with these games too, I never got around to picking up Sun or Moon but figured I would wait for the ultra re release but now I can't tell if this is a sequel or a enhanced re release?

Should I be playing Sun/ moon before I play this? I can't tell.

it's an enhanced versions from the looks of things, it would be better just to get ultra over the original

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
They've never had a 2 year generation before, there's absolutely no way a new mainline Pokemon will be released in 2018.
Let's just wait and see.

The gold standard for predicting Pokémon generations is Mythical Pokémon. They basically never go for a year without a new Pokémon to reveal and distribute to go along with that year's movie, and we've run out of Gen VII Mythical Pokémon as of right now. There are two potential options- if USUM have a new Mythical Pokémon or two, we're probably going to be waiting into 2019 for the new generation. If they don't, then they're going to be showing off new Gen VIII Pokémon in a matter of months, with a release at the end of next year. We'll see in a few weeks.

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, Sun/Moon killed the franchise for me a little bit. I really didn't like it.

So I have zero interest in going back to that world, I'm just hoping the next entry on Switch brings my love back for Pokemon.

I purchased Pokemon Red on GB day 1, and have done so for every 'new' (mainline and even most the spinoff) Pokemon games day 1 since - Ultra will be the first time I don't get it straight away. I'll pick it up later down the line for my collection, but I can't see me actually ever playing it. A bit sad really when I think about it, just how nothing I feel towards it. :(

I have a strange position when it comes to SuMo. On the one hand, I love how mechanically improved the games are. The presentation, animations and visuals are also the best the franchise has ever been. But, on the other hand, I hate the setting and most of the characters. I really, really hate the Island Challenge progression and the Trials as a way to gate your progress in the story. I can't wait to get back to the tried-and-true formula of previous games.

I'll be getting Ultra SuMo as a way to give Alola a second chance. The inclusion of Team Rainbow Rocket is great. And, if anything, breeding perfect Pokémon has never been easier, so at least I can prepare a good batch of teams for next entries.

Edit: Also: https://twitter.com/NintendoEurope/status/926766006822932480/photo/1

The 3DS ain't dead yet.

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
There's absolutely reason for these games existing and it's the same reason prior iterative titles existed. People will buy them.

Throwing US/UM in the same camp as Yellow and Crystal is somewhat of a disservice though. Game Freak have done a ton to make these two stand out as their own games, just watch any trailer from October onwards. There's more reason for those who played Sun and Moon to play this than there ever was for those who played Red and Blue to play Yellow.

Those claiming it's the exact same game need to do some serious research.

etrain911

Oct 27, 2017
I see why they did a third version and it isn't inherently a bad idea, however, it baffles me why they would split THAT version into two and give them version differences. That feels like a cheap cash grab to me and will buy why I am not purchasing either.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
There's no good reason why this couldn't have been DLC imo.

Except "We stand to make a whole lot more money if we split it into two games and charge $40 for it" of course

LoyalPhoenix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I saw an ad for them when i was in at the movies today, completely forgot they were a thing tbh.

Im just interested to see what the Switch pokemon game is like and hopefully its what i wanted out of a "console" Pokémon.