• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Love Machine

Oct 29, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
Been re-watching this recently on Prime, and am now making my way through S4. Truly a fantastic show!

Makes me long for a game with this sort of gravity and consequence to every facet of space travel/life.
One small example would be torpedoes. Firing torpedoes in most space sims is like firing a powerful rocket launcher.
Firing torpedoes in the Expanse is like a fleet-ending, narrative bending FUCK OFF button.

Funky Papa

Oct 28, 2017
Been re-watching this recently on Prime, and am now making my way through S4. Truly a fantastic show!

Makes me long for a game with this sort of gravity and consequence to every facet of space travel/life.
One small example would be torpedoes. Firing torpedoes in most space sims is like firing a powerful rocket launcher.
Firing torpedoes in the Expanse is like a fleet-ending, narrative bending FUCK OFF button.
One of the things I enjoy the most about the show.

Blowing a massive hole in a pressurized vessel full of delicate bits and bobs (not to mention humans) has immediate consequences. Extremely fucky ones.

It may not make for super engaging Star-Wars-like fleet combat, but it compensates it with extremely high stakes.

Love Machine

Oct 29, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
One of the things I enjoy the most about the show.

Blowing a massive hole in a pressurized vessel full of delicate bits and bobs (not to mention humans) has immediate consequences. Extremely fucky ones.

It may not make for super engaging Star-Wars-like fleet combat, but it compensates it with extremely high stakes.
Yes! High stakes! That's exactly the right term. We need a full-fledged space sim with high stakes; where even PvP diehards and gankers/murderhobos think twice about their actions.

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
Yes! High stakes! That's exactly the right term. We need a full-fledged space sim with high stakes; where even PvP diehards and gankers/murderhobos think twice about their actions.
The early days of Eve Online must have been close to this. Definitely high-stakes for some operations. I mean the times prior to the construction of the first Titan really, though holy hell the early days of that must have been something else indeed.

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
Not returning for the final season is original cast member Cas Anvar, who faced a slew of sexual misconduct allegations during the summer. The rest of the cast, led by Steven Strait, and longtime Expanse showrunner Naren Shankar will be back.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
While I wish they'd keep going, it's not a bad place to stop, actually.

With the time jump coming up, I could see them doing a few follow up movies in a few years time, depending on whether the show keeps a cult following.

chalkitdown

Oct 26, 2017
Sucks that it's ending next season but at least it will have a proper ending. I hope! Aren't there 9 books? Book readers, without spoiling anything, is it actually feasible to condense the remaining story into 2 seasons?

Oct 25, 2017
Sucks that it's ending next season but at least it will have a proper ending. I hope! Aren't there 9 books? Book readers, without spoiling anything, is it actually feasible to condense the remaining story into 2 seasons?

No, they are clearly ending the series with book 6. The final trilogy would have significant logistical issues and require a large investment.

Choosing to end with Book 6 is an extremely understandable decision.

Jan 29, 2018

No. At least I don't see how. You'd need seasons 5 and 6 to cover 5 books, three of which are pretty different from everything that came before.