• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So, I was curious as to the expansion of ResetEra, specifically the rate at which accounts have been created. Unsurprisingly, there is a huge skew towards the first 2 weeks of the site's history:

Member 1 joined October 23rd, 2017
Member 10,000 joined October 27th, 2017
Member 20,000 joined October 28th, 2017
Member 30,000 joined November 2nd, 2017
Member 40,000 joined February 16th, 2018

We have still yet to reach member 50,000. So, as you can see by the numbers, it took 4 days to reach 10k, 1 day for 20k, 5 days for 30k and 106 days for 40k. It's been 162 days since then. So, as you can see, we've dramatically slowed down since the start of the site's history. This is of course pretty understandable: in the first few weeks there was an influx of people coming here from GAF, and there hasn't been any other event that would facilitate such another migration here.

So, accepting that it cannot feasibly, or rather reasonably, reach such a high rate of expansion, the question is if the current situation is enough to keep the forums healthy. I would say that as of now, the forums are definitely very healthy and lively. However, on the other hand, most posters are those who were part of the first 30,000; those who joined afterwards don't seem to make up nearly as many posts. I'm not sure what exactly the reasons are; maybe it's because there's just not as many of them (which is probably the most likely reason) or maybe it's because they have trouble adjusting/getting to know everybody; I'm not entirely sure.

However, what I can say is that I definitely don't mind more people joining! I was just interested in doing the crunch numbers and seeing what had happened since then.

Sir Guts

Use of alt account
Oct 26, 2017
Don't forget the old place had a lot of lurkers and so is here. Era will continue to grow more and more

Deleted member 19218

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I imagine the registration methods limit new applicants more than ever below. You can't sign up with a Facebook account, can you?

I like the current level of activity though and think Era has a niche appeal which works in its favour for gathering gaming enthusiasts.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So, I was curious as to the expansion of ResetEra, specifically the rate at which accounts have been created.
Member 1 joined October 23rd, 2017
Member 10,000 joined October 27th, 2017
Member 20,000 joined October 28th, 2017
Member 30,000 joined November 2nd, 2017
Member 40,000 joined February 16th, 2018

We have still yet to reach member 50,000.
Current members: 39,908

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
not everyone gets to be as cool as me and post about putting socks on your penis

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The forum was a replacement for another existing forum, so it's size was already going to be within certain expected parameters. Growth beyond that would not be expected to be that big, since forums in general are dwindling due to other more modern social networks (like Discord or the mainstream networks like Reddit, Twitter, and Facebook) attracting people.

AlteredBeast

Don't Watch the Tape!
Oct 27, 2017
Feels like home. Please, please, please admins of ResetEra, never turn out to be creeps like the old place. If this place dies, I am pretty much done on the internet and going to live a hermit life.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Is this another thread where we can boast about member numbers?

1928 baby

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
is this gonna be a yearly thing like in those highschool animes where they talk about boob sizes for an uncomfortable amount of time

JDSN

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just like the fact that we have no thread about how LGBT adopting kids is wrong.

Last edited:

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
I forgot how do you check that
profile page

yhJoBeI.png

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, offshoot forums are notoriously difficult to really progress. There needs to be some major association between this forum and the videogame industry. NeoGaf had that, it had a reputation for being a discussion forum for the industry, and ResetEra has some prominent industry vets who post occassionally, but it isn't the same. Though, obviously, Gaf is dead and it's never coming back. The stank associated with that site is a lost cause. Eventually, the bills and hassle will be greater than the revenue and benefit of having it up, like every former videogame website, and one day it'll just be gone.

Still, though, the internet is different from the golden era of gaf (if there ever was one). Publishing an opinion to a major videogame hivemind is not a challenge now... with Twitter, Twitch, YouTube, and every other network (including specialized subreddits) able to reach so many avid fans.

NeoGaf was a bit of an anomaly: A last stand of general forums as everything moved to specialized communities. It's tough to be an offshoot of that.

Still, ResetEra has done better than I initially thought it would. Having witnessed many rises and falls of videogame communities, I was surprised this one hit the growth it did, and has become such an active community. Kudos to all.

Last edited:

AYF 001

Oct 28, 2017
One thing I think is clout. I heard about gaf through other sites that talked about its history and reputation, as well as being the source of a lot of info they'd reference. I think once the site is more established and has some more stories/events under its belt, we will see growth during those time periods.

_Karooo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We have all the active members though so it's like 200000 anyway.

Global rank of 3000 is pretty impressive. The other site is at 9000 lol

Source - Alexa.

Vilix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Honestly I hope it doesn't become another gaf or reddit. I like being in a close knit group with great mods and admins.

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
I inputted the member number onto the URL, so that number must not include banned accounts or something. Here you can see in the URL that the newest member is member 46,266: https://www.resetera.com/members/spencer-welch-ii.46266/

The counter on the front page is accurate as it tallies only active members who are able to post. The count you're using includes accounts that never verified their emails, unapproved accounts, banned accounts, etc. We appreciate the analysis and the intent of the thread, but as the numbers are off and there's a lot of cross forum drama in here already we're locking it.

Status
Not open for further replies.