• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
In us they can have a tie.

In us probably best scenario a draw with ps5. Same for uk. Rest of world ps5 will win.

About the article. Ridiculous fanboy article.

It is like hey everybody you are all wrong. You should buy a Xbox that's the right choice.

A tie in the US and UK? Not sure why that would be the case.

If they have their price right, have the more powerful console then I don't see why they woudn't be leading the US and UK. Xbox consoles have traditionally launched with decent exclusives too and given all the investment in first party that's happening I expect that to be the case again with the next one.

Combine that with the fact that most Xbox users can/will just pay the $10 to get all those exclusives day one when they bring home their new console, it's a pretty compelling reason to grab one.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mate....I'm telling you, it's a physical impossibility.

But it really doesn't matter all that much anymore. They don't need to "sell the most units" to be hugely successful.

Europe can be turned around and Japan is moving further and further from traditional consoles. Hell they're a mere 2 mill behind Playstation in the UK despite the overall weaker run.

It totally can happen, and they're all set be top dog next gen. Sony just doesn't have answers to a lot of the things they're doing right.

Full BC, Game Pass, the best hardware, best online infrastructure, cross-play enabled, top tier multiplayer offerings and a whole host of genre's Playstation has no stake in yet like FPS/RPG/Open World Racing etc.

Plus think of the money hats they could get or how deep they'll dig for the marketing rights to the next Rockstar or Call of Duty titles.

Starfire22

Banned
May 5, 2018
Oklahoma
Honestly, BC being there in the capacity it has been saved it. Cannot comment on the X, due to not having the sales figures, though I would imagine that it helps out console gamers that love graphics.

Having said all of that, next gen will be fun for sure, if the tail end of this gen is anything to go by.

angel

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As someone that doesn't own an Xbox, I can definitely see a rise compared to where they started this generation. I don't see how you can't if you're not purposely ignoring where they were and where they are.

Theres been a rise since Phil, of course. I think his work is great, and he's a great guy. There just isnt the volume of genuine AAA (sorry) exclusive stuff compared to the PS. Hell, even the indies/ mid tier titles are better over on Sony's side. Castlevania, EDF etc, just because of the higher installed base. Sony seem to be funding a lot more too, I mean GOTY God of War has no real exclusive equivalent over on xbox. Just the same old Forza/Gears/Halo obvious argument that everyone cites, but it is a true one.

I do suspect Xbox will come out swinging next gen though, and witnessing the return of arrogant Sony lately, I think it might shift again.

Kyry

Oct 27, 2017
Seemed to work out well for Sony at the start of this gen when the reverse was the case. Best place for multis but not much in the way of great exclusives. This is coming from arguably one of only a handful of people on this forum that loved Killzone Shadow Fall.

Granted, that was also something all PS4 users at the time could benefit from.

But I don't disagree, The Xbox One had much better exclusive content that first year. Then they seemed to drop the ball. The fact that Sony ran with it is another discussion matter. Its not impossible for Microsoft to have a competent first party strategy as well. It should not be a one or the other. Nintendo and Sony have no problem BOTH putting out GOTY quality games the last few years.

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
Look, as a tech nerd, I love the Xbox one because it does all sorts of cool shit, but like, my game of the year list includes two PS4 exclusives, Tetris Effect (mizuguchi the greatest of all time) and Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth: Hacker's Memory. I have preordered Ace Combat 7 on the PS4 because I want to try the VR mode and because I can't wait to play Ace Combat 5 on the PS4.

That the PS4 is a boring electronic device compared to the switch's sexy portability (I love joycons, I love the docking thing, I love labo as an idea, etc) or the xbox one's PC interoperability doesn't mean I don't like my PS4. I like it a lot. It's just a boring machine and I don't really like Sony's formula for their own exclusives (I like a lot of Sony exclusives but very few Sony first party games). I love my PS4 for a bunch of shit that isn't Sony-published, like Godzilla, Yakuza (now it's on the PC tho! hooray!), and Digimon. It's still a basic bitch console. It does nothing unique or interesting except maybe VR, but like, the PC stomps that. And I mean, I'm the insane fucker who championed Hidden Agenda this year.

I think in terms of raw feature set, the Xbox is the best ecosystem, and the Xbox One X is the best console. Steam is the #2 ecosystem and the PC is the best overall platform. The Switch doesn't have pikmin so I dont' really like it that much. The PS4 doesn't do a lot to excite me but there's a lot of weird quirky Japanese stuff I love there. I'm just not a big fan of Sony's "here are 3 unique skill trees and a fairly formulaic story about sad people doing dramatics" formula. I'm way more excited by the prospect of a new Sucker Punch game or more stuff from Mizuguchi or Takahashi than I am a new game from a studio like Santa Monica or Naughty Dog. They don't make games I like. Santa Monica USED to, but I don't like the new God of War direction, even though I love the writing (Lost planet 3 writing team, of course god of war has a great story).

Honestly you've let your personal biases trample all over reason here and in the article. The whole article is duplicitously twisting events to most fit the narrative you're trying to sell.

PC VR stomps PSVR? Is that why PSVR is outselling all the PC VR headsets combined? Price and accessibility are the two most important factors for VR right now, and PSVR is the best full VR headset providing that right now.

Xbox One X is the best console? It's also by far the most expensive console, no shit it's going play 3rd party games at the highest resolution or whatever other buzzword is needed to sell it. Price is, once again, one of the most important factors (among others) in people deciding what the "best" console is, but let's just ignore that again why not.

PS4 may just be carrying on (and incrementally adding to) the tradition of past consoles, but you can't really call it "boring" and "un-unique" when it's the only current gen console that actually properly carried on that old tradition.

Xbox has undoubtedly made a tonne of great moves in recent years which Sony would be wise to emulate, but this article doesn't do a good job of presenting things in an objective way. Maybe this is another case of "subjectivity is implied", but really it just comes across as a made-to-order article where you started at the endpoint and went backwards from there.

Last edited:

DocSeuss

Oct 25, 2017

If they have their price right, have the more powerful console then I don't see why they woudn't be leading the US and UK. Xbox consoles have traditionally launched with decent exclusives too and given all the investment in first party that's happening I expect that to be the case again with the next one.

Combine that with the fact that most Xbox users can/will just pay the $10 to get all those exclusives day one when they bring home their new console, it's a pretty compelling reason to grab one.

I think Xbox can win the US again if they get, like, Fortnite exclusivity, but that's about it.

Ultimately, we went into this generation with Sony saying "we have the most powerful, cheaper console," and Microsoft not really understanding what early adopters want. Sony was always goign to win that. Sony has better goodwill around the world, both from long-standing resentment at an American company trying to enter the fray and Microsoft's need to be unique. I love their uniqueness, but I think most people just want that very standard "put a disc in and play a game console."

Look at how angry people are when they get a game on their PS4 or Xbox or Switch and have to download it because it won't fit on a disc. They just want to plug and play, but blu-ray drives are too slow to make that happen. I love the "play it now" feature where you can do a partial download to start playing, but it's not used super well.

People want a very, very basic machine. Microsoft is obsessed with being unique.

Sony will keep winning, and even if MS makes the most basic console ever... you still have a lot of people just resenting their entrance into the marketplace, no matter what they do. There is nothing anyone can do about that.

See what I mean? Check out TheRulingRing's post here:

Honestly you've let your personal biases trample all over reason here and in the article. The whole article is duplicitously twisting events to most fit the narrative you're trying to sell.

PC VR stomps PSVR? Is that why PSVR is outselling all the PC VR headsets combined? Price and accessibility are the two most important factors for VR right now, and PSVR is the best full VR headset providing that right now.

Xbox One X is the best console? It's also by far the most expensive console, no shit it's going play 3rd party games at the highest resolution or whatever other buzzword is needed to sell it. Price is, once again, one of the most important factors in people deciding what the "best" console is, but let's just ignore that again why not.

PS4 may just be carrying on (and incrementally adding to) the tradition of past consoles, but you can't really call it "boring" and "un-unique" when it's the only current gen console that actually properly carried on that old tradition.

Xbox has undoubtedly made a tonne of great moves in recent years which Sony would be wise to emulate, but this article doesn't do a good job of presenting things in an objective way. Maybe this is another case of "subjectivity is implied", but really it just comes across as a made-to-order article where you started at the endpoint and went backwards from there.

TheRulingRing here is obsessed with tradition to the point of accusing me of "twisting facts." The reality is that I just really fucking like unique hardware, and if you look at every statement I made, my fascinating with uniqueness is why I enjoy the Xbox. That's cool to me. So by my own metrics, what I personally value in a console, I'm going to say the unique console is best. TheRulingRing is a very conservative person, based on this post, and clearly wants a very standard, normal console. See that weird statement about "properly carried on that old tradition." I don't value carrying on old traditions. We have different value systems.

But TheRulingRing wants to make it personal and make me out to be a bad person. That's fanboyism for you.

Also, TheRulingRing, your obsession with "objectivity" is fucking weird lol. Opinion pieces aren't supposed to be objective.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
Game Pass, backwards compatibility and the 4K Blu Ray drive are what finally sold me on an XB1. Early in the generation I planned to get one when Scalebound came out, but after that fell through I basically wrote it off completely. Since then Microsoft has steadily been adding some really cool new stuff, and this year I started thinking about maybe picking up a cheap XB1S as a 4K Blu Ray player and Game Pass machine.

Fast forward to Black Friday where I got an amazing deal on an X instead, and now it's completely overtaken my PS4 Pro as my main console. I'll obviously keep the Pro around for Sony exclusives and Japanese games, but the 1X is just a way better machine and I can keep Game Pass topped up for free with Microsoft Rewards. Having basically every Microsoft exclusive of the generation waiting for me on Game Pass, as well as things like Ninja Gaiden Black in 4K and the DMC5 demo have made me so happy with my purchase.

Psrock1

Oct 27, 2017
I love the Xbox One X, it's very powerful and a beauty. But the notion Xbox has made a comeback is not showing. The Lead is actually growing. They are selling better than last year, but we are exaggerating the impact on they are having in this generation.

Evangelista

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Aug 21, 2018

If they launch close will only be more powerfull if it will be more expensive.

Investments in fp games don't translate in good games. And most of these studios will not have games ready for 2020.

PS2 was weak than of Xbox and sold 6x more.

Power never was the most important thing.

Do you think who enjoy PS exclusives. Who is playing Spiderman, God of war will just buy a Xbox because it is more powerfull?

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Xbox One X is the best console? It's also by far the most expensive console, no shit it's going play 3rd party games at the highest resolution or whatever other buzzword is needed to sell it. Price is, once again, one of the most important factors in people deciding what the "best" console is, but let's just ignore that again why not.

You're trying to use things like sales and price to diminish the fact that yes, PC is the best platform for VR due to the intrinsic hardware advantage and headset features. Same with trying to imply that Xbox One X isn't the best console because it's the most expensive. We're not talking about the "most popular" or "best value" devices here. We're talking about best.

And of course subjectivity is implied, it's an article written by a human.

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Europe can be turned around and Japan is moving further and further from traditional consoles. Hell they're a mere 2 mill behind Playstation in the UK despite the overall weaker run.

It totally can happen, and they're all set be top dog next gen. Sony just doesn't have answers to a lot of the things they're doing right.

Full BC, Game Pass, the best hardware, best online infrastructure, cross-play enabled, top tier multiplayer offerings and a whole host of genre's Playstation has no stake in yet like FPS/RPG/Open World Racing etc.

Plus think of the money hats they could get or how deep they'll dig for the marketing rights to the next Rockstar or Call of Duty titles.
Even with Japan shrinking, Xbox has no presence whatsoever in a lot of Asia and Europe, like Spain. Even the disastrous PS3 came out on top in the end and Sony certainly won't concede in release timing, profitability or pricing ever again (with the exception being the streaming box perhaps). I really can't see Xbox gaining any foothold in countries like Germany either as long as Sony has their basic shit together. MS spends very little money on us to promote their offerings or they are not available altogether. A decisive win in the US and UK will help them a lot, but worldwide seems pretty much impossible as long as Sony brings the games and has the 3rd party support

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
I think Xbox can win the US again if they get, like, Fortnite exclusivity, but that's about it.

Ultimately, we went into this generation with Sony saying "we have the most powerful, cheaper console," and Microsoft not really understanding what early adopters want. Sony was always goign to win that. Sony has better goodwill around the world, both from long-standing resentment at an American company trying to enter the fray and Microsoft's need to be unique. I love their uniqueness, but I think most people just want that very standard "put a disc in and play a game console."

Look at how angry people are when they get a game on their PS4 or Xbox or Switch and have to download it because it won't fit on a disc. They just want to plug and play, but blu-ray drives are too slow to make that happen. I love the "play it now" feature where you can do a partial download to start playing, but it's not used super well.

People want a very, very basic machine. Microsoft is obsessed with being unique.

Sony will keep winning, and even if MS makes the most basic console ever... you still have a lot of people just resenting their entrance into the marketplace, no matter what they do. There is nothing anyone can do about that.

See what I mean? Check out TheRulingRing's post here:

TheRulingRing here is obsessed with tradition to the point of accusing me of "twisting facts." The reality is that I just really fucking like unique hardware, and if you look at every statement I made, my fascinating with uniqueness is why I enjoy the Xbox. That's cool to me. So by my own metrics, what I personally value in a console, I'm going to say the unique console is best. TheRulingRing is a very conservative person, based on this post, and clearly wants a very standard, normal console. See that weird statement about "properly carried on that old tradition." I don't value carrying on old traditions. We have different value systems.

But TheRulingRing wants to make it personal and make me out to be a bad person. That's fanboyism for you.

Also, TheRulingRing, your obsession with "objectivity" is fucking weird lol. Opinion pieces aren't supposed to be objective.

I had a good laugh reading this, thanks. I had no idea Microsoft were "unique" and others were simply basic in comparison.

Manixramz

Apr 4, 2018
i only can LOL at Usgamer.net to actually publish this.

the way it can be said is best hardware after midterm release and it was the last console released if compare to direct competitor Playstation .

RDR2 pushing this hype , this will happen to PS4 IF Last of US 2 release 1st before ps5 .

The PS4 sales clearly shows what is matter to overall customer , pricing and games.

Xbox one x is for the xbox Fans , simple as that . Playstation Fans won't change because of exclusives and common customer will lean on the pricing of the hardware and games.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PS4 : heading to 100 million+
SW: heading to 80 million+
XB: struggling to reach 50 million

What pace?

The pace regarding console features, superior hardware, commitment to being as open and forward thinking with consumers as possible (cross-play, Gamepass etc).

Sure this gen is lost, obviously, but next gen is easily up for grabs if they keep up this pace.

John Frost

Oct 27, 2017
Canada

Oh you.

Evangelista

Banned
Aug 21, 2018
You're trying to use things like sales and price to diminish the fact that yes, PC is the best platform for VR due to the intrinsic hardware advantage and headset features. Same with trying to imply that Xbox One X isn't the best console because it's the most expensive. We're not talking about the "most popular" or "best value" devices here. We're talking about best.

And of course subjectivity is implied, it's an article written by a human.

But what is best? Power? Or best game library for a game console?

If I want power I will take the same argument from the article I will play on my PC and not on a Xbox one x.

DocSeuss

Oct 25, 2017
I had a good laugh reading this, thanks. I had no idea Microsoft were "unique" and others were simply basic in comparison.
Nintendo is cool as hell too, but I was not asked to write about the Switch, nor does Microsoft directly compete with Nintendo (and who would want to? Nintendo will send Reggie to your house, he will stare at you, and then he will say "no." And you will die. never compete with nintendo.)

I was asked to write about how Microsoft turned the Xbox around. So I did.

this reminds me of the "PS3 will sell 110 million in like 3 years" piece by IBTimes

Anyone who thinks MS will win this generation is an idiot. I do recall hearing a while ago that Microsoft makes more money per customer than Sony does for a wide variety of reasons. Microsoft itself is happy with its sales. It's the Pepsi to Sony's Coke. It's always gonna try to do its best, but like, I don't think they're mad they aren't beating Coke.

Investments in fp games don't translate in good games. And most of these studios will not have games ready for 2020.

Do you think who enjoy PS exclusives. Who is playing Spiderman, God of war will just buy a Xbox because it is more powerfull?

PS2 was a cheaper machine that was out a year earlier and got Grand Theft Auto 3 first. The PS2 would not be nearly as fondly remembered as it was if GTA3 had come out on any other console. Anyone who thinks GTA3 isn't the primary motivator of the PS2's success (right behind "it's the first major/cheap DVD player") forgets history. Once Sony was known as The Place To Play Grand Theft Auto, it was over for everyone else. That game changed video games forever.

I remember back in the day, a shit load of friends arguing that the PS2 was the better console because "it has a bigger library." Releasing early will do that to you. So many of those series eventually went third party, but Sony had a ton of games on lock, including (for a year or so), GTA3. San Andreas and Vice City also had almost a year timed exclusivity as I recall. The PS2 gen really was Grand Theft Auto's gen. GTA3 might be the most defining game of the 21st Century after Call of Duty 4.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta
If the Xbox got more good/great games that aligned with my tastes,
intro-1544153303.jpg

7. The Outer Worlds - I am not a first person type person at all. Aside from one or two exceptions, the perspective doesn't do anything for me. So, considering this game is first person, it speaks to how much it interested me. This has the potential to be a hit.
hope you arent expecting to play the sequel on a ps platform

463325011411992596.png

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
It's pretty sad how some here are so quick to attack other members for sharing their opinion over console preferences. The first page alone is embarrassing and unfortunately I'm not surprised. Some of you take this console race to an extreme and kill any open conversation.

>__

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 28, 2018
The pace regarding console features, superior hardware, commitment to being as open and forward thinking with consumers as possible (cross-play, Gamepass etc).

Sure this gen is lost, obviously, but next gen is easily up for grabs if they keep up this pace.

When you say grab next gen I assume you mean by sales, and so when you say pace to contribute to that you infer sales.

Yet saleswise, XB1 grabbing next gen with "pace" could not be further from the truth:
PS4 is handily outselling it and SW will be overtaking its "pace" in a few years.

Whatever pace you are imagining has not shown itself in reality.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Even with Japan shrinking, Xbox has no presence whatsoever in a lot of Asia and Europe, like Spain. Even the disastrous PS3 came out on top in the end and Sony certainly won't concede in release timing, profitability or pricing ever again (with the exception being the streaming box perhaps). I really can't see Xbox gaining any foothold in countries like Germany either as long as Sony has their basic shit together. MS spends very little money on us to promote their offerings or they are not available altogether. A decisive win in the US and UK will help them a lot, but worldwide seems pretty much impossible as long as Sony brings the games and has the 3rd party support

If Microsoft bring the games then they'll pretty much win, because that's the only thing they lack at the moment.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
In the US/UK/AU/MEX/BRZ? Sure, that's probably mostly expected.

But they'll never in a million years take Europe or Japan.

But honestly, I"m sure that' more than fine. If the next Xbox can hit somewhere near 360 numbers, they'll be making so much money they won't give a shit what the unit difference is.
Uh no. It isn't expected. If Xbox sells more in the US or UK that would be shocking. It could happen though, I agree

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But what is best? Power? Or best game library for a game console?

If I want power I will take the same argument from the article I will play on my PC and not on a Xbox one x.
Best power, infrastructure, controller, etc. Best overall experience for console gaming.

Obviously doesn't have the best exclusives. But if a game is available on both, I'll go with the Xbone X version every time. I played motherfucking Monster Hunter on Xbox earlier this year. And it was awesome.

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017

Your example of the ps2 is a bit reductive considering the vice grip Sony had on the industry at the time and the Xbox came on to the scene later than the ps2. The ps2 was the perfect machine to succeed the PS1 and had enough of a cultural cache that if pretty much murdered the Dreamcast in its crib. ANYONE would have been number two or sold less than Sony did in the PS2 era. They were basically the same interns of success as Nintendo was in the 80s.

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Every conversation around the Xbox doing well is so strange because of a lack of sales numbers.

It's always important to note the only reason we don't have those sales numbers is because Microsoft doesn't want us to see them, and that leads to the obvious conclusion that sales can't be that great when they don't want the public to see them.

UF_C

Oct 25, 2017
I still just have my Xbox one set up in my living as a media box for the roommates to use. Unfortunately, owning a gaming PC has changed my out look on the system dramatically. Without exclusive games on it anymore, it's simply not as appealing as it used to be.
Couldn't agree more. Even WITH exclusive games, I still find myself not really all that interested in playing my PlayStation or buying an xbox1x. Playing with black bars on my monitor at 30fps and without discord, neither of the consoles are the ecosystem I want to be a part of.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When you say grab next gen I assume you mean by sales, and so when you say pace to contribute to that you infer sales.

Yet saleswise, XB1 grabbing next gen with "pace" could not be further from the truth:
PS4 is handily outselling it and SW will be overtaking its "pace" in a few years.

Whatever pace you are imagining has not shown itself in reality.

I'm talking about next gen, so how much PS4 & XB1 sold is meaningless, and if Microsoft maintain their current trajectory in terms of forward proofing themselves I think they can win the next generation easily.

zMiiChy-

Dec 12, 2017
After looking up Games Pass to confirm if it worked as a thought, I still feel that the service is solid but overrated.

It could be on any platform including PC and I would still not subscribe to it.

I'm fine with purchasing the games I want from sales on PSN and Steam, and would even prefer just utilizing Xbox Live deals if I used an Xbox.

The service is fairly price for what it entails, but I really don't like that you still need to sub for Xbox live to play the catalogued games online, and that a free trial isn't even offered (Lol 1 dollar).

It could evolve into something truly revolutionary as the library grows and the service evolves, but for now I'm not giving credit to Microsoft for it being anymore than additional means for them to make money.

On the other hand, Microsoft's BC while praised I feel are still underrated and a serious game changer.

Backwards compatibility are being added for games all the time for free, with significant improvements...which are also free!

It shits all over Nintendo's and Sony's offerings, which have been embarrassingly weak or outright nonexistent in comparison when they realized how much they could take advantage of consumers with remasters and 'classic consoles'.

Even then, perhaps the greatest aspect of their approach to backwards compatibility is the security of knowing that your purchases will carried over into the next generation - leaving Sony and Nintendo with elephants in their rooms.

Mid-gen console refreshes are utterly worthless to me when I own a capable PC to grant me the best performance in multiplatform games if I desire, but I won't fault Microsoft on their output in that regard.

I think they did a better job with the X than Sony with the PRO, but not as good as Nintendo with the 'New' 3DS.

DocSeuss

Oct 25, 2017
Couldn't agree more. Even WITH exclusive games, I still find myself not really all that interested in playing my PlayStation or buying an xbox1x. Playing with black bars on my monitor at 30fps and without discord, neither of the consoles are the ecosystem I want to be a part of.

Xbox One X plays a lot of games at 60 fwiw. But honestly, for me, I use it primarily as a backcompat console because I loved 360gen games, and there are a TON that never came to PC.

I think they did a better job than Sony, but not as good as Nintendo with the 'New' 3DS.

I love my NN3DS and I hate that I just keep putting hundreds of hours into Pokemon and nothing else on it. Phoenix Wright is RIGHT THERE!!

Evangelista

Banned
Aug 21, 2018
Best power, infrastructure, controller, etc. Best overall experience for console gaming.

Obviously doesn't have the best exclusives. But if a game is available on both, I'll go with the Xbone X version every time. I played motherfucking Monster Hunter on Xbox earlier this year. And it was awesome.
Don't think all you said(besides power) is subjective to a personal opinion?

I think Xbox one elite gamepad is the best gamepad ever. But the regular one? Not a chance against ds4.

Best infrastructure doesn't make sense for me. Both Live and PSN had problems this gen.

I think considering only consoles for sure Xbox one x is the most powerfull and make sense is more expensive and came later.

DocSeuss

Oct 25, 2017

I think Xbox one elite gamepad is the best gamepad ever. But the regular one? Not a chance against ds4.

Best infrastructure doesn't make sense for me. Both Live and PSN had problems this gen.

I think considering only consoles for sure Xbox one x is the most powerfull and make sense is more expensive and came later.

Why do you prefer the DS4? I think the DS4 is a super shoddy controller with REALLY bad triggers. I've had to replace 3 DS4's now, and my fourth DS4 is failing, which is making Tetris Effect nearly impossible to play (right on d-pad registers as up-input a LOT now). I love the Xbox One controller; it fits my hand perfectly, has asymmetrical sticks, better stick tension, better stick height, I can replace the batteries instead of needing to use a cable, the bluetooth functionality is great, I can use it on my PC or Xbox without drivers, the triggers are SO much better than the DS, the bumpers are way easier to press... I don't know how anyone could prefer the DS4.

Like, sure, the DS4 is better than the DS3, but the DS3 is probably the worst controller on a Big 3 console ever made.

It can't be the best console if it doesn't play the best games. XB1X has the best console hardware though, I'll give it that.

Someone like me, who plays hundreds of hours in Forza games and doesn't care at all for big AAA action/adventure fare not made by Ubisoft, might think the Xbox has better exclusives? If you asked me to compile a list of top Sony exclusives... it'd be three digimon games (two of which are better on the Vita), until dawn, tetris effect, wipeout, and godzilla. Meanwhile my Xbox can play The Darkness, one of the most influential games in my entire life. The Darkness is my everything. I love that game so much. If I cared for Spidey/Uncharted/TLOU/SOTC/God of War, the PS4 would be an easy win, but... I don't really LIKE that kind of game? I play very few of them. Alan Wake, Mad Max, Infamous, Prototype, Tomb Raider/ROTR, and Assassin's Creed games are the only third person action adventure games that I really love.

This is subjective, is what I'm saying.

Neither console has a LOT of games that appeal to me right now. The Xbox just has a lot more backcompat games I love. So for me, the Xbox is a dramatically superior device because like... I can play EDF2017. Now, that said? I think EDF5 is a PS4 exclusive, so like... once I get a copy, the PS4 might instantly shoot up to first place. EDF has the power to do that. I'm also REALLY excited for Ace Combat VR even though it's super limited.

Last edited:

MPrza

Oct 30, 2017
"Xbox ain't got no games" - Chad Warden

Nice hardware though. Best place to play multi plats for sure.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Both Live and PSN have had problems. PSN has had more problems. It also continues to download way slower and has less features overall. Still can't change my name. Doesn't have built-in LFG (which was amazing for Monster Hunter, btw). Infrastructure simply isn't as good, that isn't debatable.

Yeah it's more expensive, came later, whatever. Who cares. In the year of our lord two thousand and eighteen, the Xbox One X is the best console to play a video game on.

TreeMePls

Oct 25, 2017

There's a very good chance that next gen isn't going to be a hard reset in terms of library. With the addition to digital be being a lot more prominent this time around they're going to have a harder time convincing the vast majority to switch anywhere

LOL.

Microsoft isn't adverse to putting their games on PlayStation under the right circumstances.

Did they buy the in-progress IP along with Obsidian? It's published by Private Division, so I've no idea what the next step would be.
The IP was owned by Obsidian. Since MS bought them they own the IP but afaik Private Division owns the publishing rights to the sequel

Manixramz

Apr 4, 2018
I'm talking about next gen, so how much PS4 & XB1 sold is meaningless, and if Microsoft maintain their current trajectory in terms of forward proofing themselves I think they can win the next generation easily.

it does , we are in digital era , user will be tie to their accounts mostly .

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017

Okay I'm going to bite, Betty. To "easily" beat your direct competitor, in this case PlayStation, you'd have to somehow turn your brand into a global juggernaut, because that's what PlayStation is worldwide and then somehow do even better. That's going to be very, very difficult to achieve. The Xbox 360 at the peak of its popularity was still outsold in Europe and Asia by the more expensive, inferior in some ways, PR-baggaged PS3. With Sony learning from the mistakes of PS3, do you really see Xbox somehow becoming the market leader in those historically weak territories?

Then there's going to be the case of Sony having the PS4 momentum going into PS5, where the 100+ million users they accumulated will be able to take their software purchases with them to the next gen console. I don't think you can say "easily" lightly there tbh.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Xbox will take next gen easily if they keep up the pace.

Sony won't stop making exclusives and people won't forget their IP's (and third party/japanese support), and their studios are being expanded (Guerrilla is hiring 150 people, more than some studios MS bought).

Xbox will have a great gen but calm down people

clickKunst

Dec 18, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Out from the ashes will rise the Phoenix. Its name? Phil Spencer.

Phil will bring about the ascendant return of the Microsoft brand during the ninth generation with the full power of 1000 Iwatas. Force ghosts of Bill Gates, Paul Allen and Steve Ballmer will look on approvingly while START ME UP is played by a celestial chorus. No sinner will survive in Xbox's wake - not Sony, not Nintendo, not Steam nor the Ouya.

The future is taking shape - it is a big beautiful green X just outside an enormous multi-coloured window that is asking for you to climb out so that your children and your children's children can have fun and enjoy all your home entertainment for a reasonable monthly price.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
This gen has been pretty disastrous as some one who really enjoyed xbox, and xbox 360. My xbox one X is the most powerful game console this gen, but where are the games to show off that hardware. I have Gears, and I have Forza, both good games, and both show off the hardware well with 4K resolution, high res textures, and support for HDR. When the xbox one X was announced I was positive they would announce a new IP to go along with it, they didn't, follow to E3 this year, they again didn't announce a new IP. I can see this problem being fixed in the future, since MS has bought many studios this past year. For now my X will be used for BC, and playing any multiplat I cant play better else where. So I definitely see a rise with the next xbox, and hopefully the new studios, and gamepass pays off for them.

Nov 11, 2017
This is a funmy thing to say with the release of Smash just last week, and the release and critical reception of GoW, Spiderman, Pokemon Let's Go, Detroit and Astrobot this year.

But the console it has done a lot to recover it's image. That can't be put on question.
Smash pokemon and astrobot doesn't cater to me , I agree with his post those arent mature games

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
LOL.

Microsoft isn't adverse to putting their games on PlayStation under the right circumstances.

Did they buy the in-progress IP along with Obsidian? It's published by Private Division, so I've no idea what the next step would be.
Next step will likely be a "spiritual successor" type deal, like Bloodborne. That will be the new franchise that gets the sequels, and it'll be MS exclusive.

Status
Not open for further replies.