• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

S1kkZ

Oct 27, 2017
I think you'll probably see bigger differences with draw distance, lighting, etc. Texture wise I don't think you'll see much more between Quality / Performance (especially since they're both 4k or close to it, and because textures are already garbage to begin with).
but when i go from performance to quality, there should be a massive difference in framerate (going from 60 to 30 usually is a nightmare). but there is just none. and i compared draw distance and shadow quality. they are identical.

Sangral

Powered by Friendship™
Feb 17, 2022
before update, Series X, FPS boost on
fWoUuXb.png

Post patch performance mode = off
ntCuT5a.png

before:
goL01JP.png

after patch, performance = off
XmgSzjJ.png

That is not even close to 4K and these scenarios should also have no dynamic res running.

Laughable. Really poor work from Bethesda here for a current gen version.

BrownWalrus

Nov 2, 2017
but when i go from performance to quality, there should be a massive difference in framerate (going from 60 to 30 usually is a nightmare). but there is just none. and i compared draw distance and shadow quality. they are identical.

Oh you're not experiencing a difference in framerate? That's weird lol. On 4k 120hz display which has 40fps on quality mode there's still a noticeable framerate difference when I go to performance. It's just that much smoother. I'm actually debating even keeping Quality or going straight to Performance, as visually I can't tell that much between the two.

S1kkZ

Oct 27, 2017
Oh you're not experiencing a difference in framerate? That's weird lol. On 4k 120hz display which has 40fps on quality mode there's still a noticeable framerate difference when I go to performance. It's just that much smoother. I'm actually debating even keeping Quality or going straight to Performance, as visually I can't tell that much between the two.
it has to be a bug. maybe because i continued my old save?

thepiratejay

Oct 29, 2017
Germany
Kinda glad I didn't pick this up for my Steam Deck during that recent steam sale. Gonna stick with FO3 and NV for the foreseeable future.

Ripthorn

Jun 10, 2022
Well, you do it before the update is in the queue. So it is too late. There are other methods to avoid updating, or downgrading if you do update.
I did this last week, the .acf file shows that the last time it was modified was in 2023 and the update still entered the download queue. Maybe this method of tricking the update no longer works.

Fiery Phoenix

Oct 26, 2017
Game is AMAZING on the Series X. Quality mode at 40fps feels super smooth.

Has to redownload all my Creation Clubs purchases, but otherwise it's been a smooth ride.

Perfect Chaos

Oct 25, 2017
Charlottesville, VA, USA
Sorriest excuse for 21:9 support, this is gross.

Fallout-4-Screenshot-2024-04-25-09-11-36-71.png
I'm curious if this is the intended implementation - this is what it looked like previously if you forced ultrawide via the .ini file.

In the meantime, I wonder if flawless widescreen still works. It keeps the default hud centered and unstretched. Pretty sure there are mods out there that add ultrawide scaling for the hud though.

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
Can't remember if this is a new thing since I rarely used power armours but they added rain effects on the screen ???
libuxd9.png

BrownWalrus

Nov 2, 2017
it has to be a bug. maybe because i continued my old save?
I'm not sure.. I also transferred my save from the PS4 version.
Does look to be glitched on Series X: https://youtu.be/Ja0rnW_aZ7Y

Quality mode is running at 60fps for some reason.

Weird, is that 60fps on quality with the ultra settings on 4k? Or is it more like, quality is basically just running performance mode? Cause if the former that's a feature not a bug lmao

Wrynn

Jan 10, 2018
The only mod that matters to me is the dialogue option one. Could anyone please confirm that it still works in the Series X version? I'm afraid I won't be able to play it until Sunday so I can't check it myself.

S1kkZ

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure.. I also transferred my save from the PS4 version.

Weird, is that 60fps on quality with the ultra settings on 4k? Or is it more like, quality is basically just running performance mode? Cause if the former that's a feature not a bug lmao
it looks like it did pre-patch. so i guess quality is running like the performance mode.

Alchemist

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a reason why when I click mods on the menu and attempt to type my email address in, the game locks up?

Bill Gaitas

Oct 25, 2017
Can't believe they didn't fix the weapon debris crashing bug. Ton of people are gonna have issues. I was about to uninstall the game a couple days ago because it kept crashing and just happened to see someone post mention turning off weapon debris
Isn't that an Nvidia specific bug? Judging from the
Midnight Ride mod guide it seems so. Nvidia needs to fix it with a driver update.

www.nexusmods.com

Weapon Debris Crash Fix

Fixed crashes caused by Weapon Debris settingИсправление вылетов при включенной настройке 'Осколки от выстрелов'

JasperMyst

Powered by Friendship™
Sep 25, 2023
Called PlayStation and they are apparently working with Bethesda to push for the update for PlayStation plus owners and those that purchased the season pass along with the fallout 4 base game.

I purchased both yesterday and it's not letting me update the game for the next gen patch.

A very Bethesda situation.

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
Haven't tested myself yet and won't be able to until I get home, but based on screenshots alone it looks like nothing has really changed at all.

Makes you wonder what took so long.

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
That is not even close to 4K and these scenarios should also have no dynamic res running.

Laughable. Really poor work from Bethesda here for a current gen version.

I'm still wondering if it's 1080p ...

This was a few weeks ago. Series X with FPS boost
0sgcSLK.png

after patch, performance mode = off
0Aacf9I.png

4k60 mod before patch
qhxV25p.png

SoundLad

Oct 30, 2017
Pretty disappointed honestly. 21:9 "support" seems abysmal - the UI is stretched and no FOV setting. Also, dialogue seems out of sync and skips. I have a feeling high framerate could be breaking it. Only played the first 5 minutes before saying "fuck this" and shut it down. Hope they're planning to address these glaring flaws.

Clean install, no mods or any tweaks. 7800x3D, 4090, Windows 11 with a 165hz ultrawide monitor.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Suffered my first death. Went to Concord, barely survived the fight with the Raiders outside the city hall, went inside and got gunned down immediately. Oof.

I'm finding Workshops everywhere; I assume this is the settlement builder feature I heard about? I thought it would just be for your home town, but the nearby gas station had one too. I assume early on you're only going to place beds everywhere so you can at least save...

I knew Survival was gonna be brutal in the beginning and I don't mind dying. But I'm surprised how often the game expects you to eat and drink. Feels excessive.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Pretty disappointed honestly. 21:9 "support" seems abysmal - the UI is stretched and no FOV setting. Also, dialogue seems out of sync and skips. I have a feeling high framerate could be breaking it. Only played the first 5 minutes before saying "fuck this" and shut it down. Hope they're planning to address these glaring flaws.

Clean install, no mods or any tweaks. 7800x3D, 4090, Windows 11 with a 165hz ultrawide monitor.

Re: the sync/skipping issue, is the game using the full framerate range by default after the update? Like, is it automatically trying to run at 144/165 fps? I'd normally expect it to cap at either 60 fps or whatever half your refresh rate is below that number.

I'm still wondering if it's 1080p ...

I'm wondering if there's a bug in the selection menu for Performance mode on/off. Though screenshots I've come across showing the DOF blur effect (which is resolution-dependent) look like what I'd expect from a ~4K resolution; You can see the blur is much less dramatic compared to it at 1080p by comparison.

SoundLad

Oct 30, 2017
Re: the sync/skipping issue, is the game using the full framerate range by default after the update? Like, is it automatically trying to run at 144/165 fps? I'd normally expect it to cap at either 60 fps or whatever half your refresh rate is below that number.
hY4yP9W.png

Yeah running at 165fps by default

TinTuba47

Nov 14, 2017
I wanna play this on PS5. Played a ton when it released, never completed it

One thing I don't recall about this game- how mandatory is the building? I know it's a huge part of the game, but how often do you need to engage with it? I'm one of those people who just does not vibe with base-building in games

oneils

Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa Canada
I wanna play this on PS5. Played a ton when it released, never completed it

One thing I don't recall about this game- how mandatory is the building? I know it's a huge part of the game, but how often do you need to engage with it? I'm one of those people who just does not vibe with base-building in games

Completely optional. You might get a tutorial quest that shows up in your menu about it at the beginning, but you can ignore it. Eventually as you progress the story you have to build one contraption, but you don't need to invest any skills to do it. Just need to find some materials and i don't remember it being a lot.

edit: depending on what faction you pick to help, the minutemen will ask you to save a settlement. but you dont have to build anything at it. i think you have to save three or four settlements to progress their story. but if you hate that too, you can pick another faction to help.

TinTuba47

Nov 14, 2017
Completely optional. You might get a tutorial quest that shows up in your menu about it at the beginning, but you can ignore it. Eventually as you progress the story you have to build one contraption, but you don't need to invest any skills to do it. Just need to find some materials and i don't remember it being a lot.

Thanks

rainking187

Oct 25, 2017
I know they never said anything about it, but I really was still holding out hope that they would do a DLC with all creation club content included when this released like they did with Skyrim. Maybe they'll at least change stuff in the creation club around more than once every 1-2 months now that this dropped?

Kraken3dfx

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
Insulting that the "next gen" update for the PC version to make it Deck verified was just to hide the launcher screen, but not to take the time to actually move any real graphical settings into the game itself.

Of course, this is what they did with Skyrim, so it's 100% what I expected as well.

derwalde

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah the UW support is a joke. I should have known better. Also crashed in concorde trying to unlock the gate to the reactor core three times in a row.

Duncan

Oct 25, 2017
People complaining about a free update for an 8 year old game, sounds about right.

Not when it breaks almost a decades worth of mods and actual fixes that the update itself fails to address.

I started a new vanilla save and it STILL does the weird dialogue speed bug when you run the game at 165 frames.

Wyatt+

Jan 15, 2020
Insulting that the "next gen" update for the PC version to make it Deck verified was just to hide the launcher screen, but not to take the time to actually move any real graphical settings into the game itself.

Of course, this is what they did with Skyrim, so it's 100% what I expected as well.
So how exactly are you supposed to modify the graphic settings? Are all the options not available? Is it like a Steam Deck preset?