• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TyrantII

Oct 25, 2017
Boston
Played a little Yesterday. On PS5 performance is fine. The IQ IS perfect and crisp on my TV. With some graphical mode it's perfect ! I'm new to fallout 4. Any tips ? I have explored a little around Concord and sanctuary, go to Lexington but thé ghoule seems many here :D

Don't feel beholden to the main quest; exploration, side quests, and looking at the environmental story telling is where it's at.

Do look into crafting. Chems and food are very powerful at temporarily boosting your stats and abilities, on top of modding weapons. Using critical shots in vats can save you.

Ghouls? Crit their legs to thin them out, then enjoy the butt jerky.

Last edited:

texhnolyze

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
You know, from an UI perspective, the mod could have given a little bit more space between each options. I never use it as it makes the conversation options too crowded.
That should be configurable, or you can simply install Full Dialogue Interface with robust options to choose from.
1235-1-1448511202.png

i mean, thats slightly better for roleplaying purposes but it really doesnt fix the issue in the game. whether the dialogue text mention it or not the game is still built around you looking for baby shaun and the MSQ will still progress under the same beats, unless they changed that too (which i dont remember it doing but i dont think i went all the way to the end on my modded playthrough)
It changed a lot of dialogues, like most all the lines about your relationship with the baby are gone. You're a stranger doing your own thing in the wasteland (you start from outside the vault, several places to choose from), with a quest that will eventually lead you to vault 111. There, you'll find both the original MC died with a holotape about Shaun's kidnapping. You'll then report it to Nick as a kidnapping case and the main quest will continue from there, but as an outsider. The mod even modify MC's voiced dialogue, but for me it's best to just use muted MC mod.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Returning to Fallout 4 has been really interesting—especially after playing so much Starfield.

I've mentioned it before, but the dialogue camera in Fallout 4 is just so much more interesting than the close up on faces that's used in other Bethesda games. I wish Starfield used the Fallout 4 camera while keeping its dialogue system. Maybe a mod can adjust it?

Another thing I was surprised at is just how much better Fallout 4's third person mode feels. When your weapon is holstered, you have full 360 degree movement. Starfield's isn't bad, but I wish it kept the feel of Fallout 4. Again, maybe a mod will be made for this.

Fallout 4's main quest line really fell apart for me near the end, but I do really enjoy the beginning. Nick Valentine and Piper are still Bethesda's best companions.

Ingo back and forth on where Fallout 4 lands for me in the series. New Vegas is of course at the top, but I'm not sure if I rank 4 above or below 3. There's a lot of things I really appreciate about 4, but there's also some really big misses.

Yogi.

Feb 3, 2023
I'm so indecisive. When creating my character last night I wanted to have all builds available to me. Is a hybrid of melee/rifleman or commando a possibility for late-game, or will I be watering down both outputs of damage against late game enemies?

Perfect Chaos

Oct 25, 2017
Charlottesville, VA, USA
I'm so indecisive. When creating my character last night I wanted to have all builds available to me. Is a hybrid of melee/rifleman or commando a possibility for late-game, or will I be watering down both outputs of damage against late game enemies?
Depending on what else you want to pick up on the perk tree, I wouldn't worry too much. You can just grab both playstyles' perks and use whatever you want.

With the character level requirements on higher ranks of perks, you'll find you have a lot of "dead" perk points as you level that are nice QOL but don't necessarily progress your playstyle as much as say, 20% additional damage on a weapon type does.

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
Anyone playing on PS5 have a tldr for best settings to use for someone using PSPortal as well as best mods to install alongside it?

Would really appreciate it. Really looking forward to jumping in.

Se_7_eN

Oct 25, 2017
So, if I want to start a fresh new game on an ultrawide PC... What is the best option now?

Wait until the visual update mods start working again?

Silverhand

Oct 26, 2023
Loaded up my old level 80 end game character and Did one new quest and got the
Tesla Gun,
it's alright. I have a tricked out Plasma Rifle that absolutely shreds so...

leads me to the Enclave new mission.
That ambush was rough. Thanks to yea old Plasma Rifle mentioned above they all died but man did I blow through some healing items. Got taht sweet Enclave armor but my current armor is better and I don't have the resources to trick out the Enclave armor.

Also, its weird goign from 76 to 4. I'm kind of frail and my guns suck to I AM A GOD OF THE WASTELAND

Era Uma Vez

Feb 5, 2020
according to reddit, if you restore your licenses, you should be able to download the PS5 version through PS+.
Im not home, so I havent tried it myself, but it wouldnt be the first time that restoring licenses solved issues for me with PS+ and the store.

andshrew

Oct 27, 2017
according to reddit, if you restore your licenses, you should be able to download the PS5 version through PS+.
Im not home, so I havent tried it myself, but it wouldnt be the first time that restoring licenses solved issues for me with PS+ and the store.

No need to restore licenses.

If you subscribe to PS+ Extra or higher then the PS5 version is now available as part of the game catalogue.

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
For those of you on Windows 11, isn't Auto HDR "too bright" on the white spots?

I'm on an Oled CX and I had to decrease the HDR slider to around 30% in the Xbox overlay (Auto-HDR option).

Prior to the native HDR implementation, I had this slider at 100% on Starfield, and looked close to the eventual native output.

Edit:

Does this not have HDR support on Series X or PS5?

It has Auto HDR and thus, Auto Dolby Vision on Series X.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Normally I'd agree, but considering the size of the modding community I think I do prefer having one version that is established as the "live" one. Otherwise you'd see some modders staying on version X/Y instead of adapting their mod for a new version, which unfortunately just fragments the whole scene.

It's not an optimal situation either way and offering different branches via the drop-down menu could probably work without too many complications within the mod scene, but I think it's a pill we need to swallow if we want better mod support.

(Impossible to say if this is Bethesda's reasoning however!)

Fair point. :) My gut feeling is that preserving legacy mod support by way of an optional branch would've been the less messy way to go, but as you said, there's no denying the possibility that may have complicated things going forward, and neither solution is perfect. Each has its pros and cons, and users do have the option to downgrade via Steam's console if they absolutely need to.

Last edited:

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
Basically all weapon types are viable late-game, especially with DLC.

Commando: Handmade Rifle, Assault RIfle, Plasma, Combat Shotgun, Radium Rifle, Tesla Rifle

Rifleman: Gauss Rifle, Laser Musket, Plasma, Combat Shotgun, Lever Action Rifle, Tesla Rifle

Gunslinger: Alien Blaster, Deliverer, Western Revolver, Plasma

Big Guns: Fuckin any of em

Melee: Almost anything, Melee is fucking busted

Unarmed: Power Fist, Deathclaw Gauntlet, Meathook

Fun fact, the missile launcher and the fat man get damage bonuses from Big Guns AND Demolitions Expert. Meaning that late game you can have a missile launcher that does like 600 damage per rocket. Add in the fact that explosive damage bypasses most defenses and you'll one shot basically anything that's not a boss-mob (Super Mutant Behemoth, Mirelurk Queen, etc.)

Juraash

Oct 25, 2017
I know we had another thread about this yesterday, but since this is the one that gets the most traction, I figured I'd ask here.

Hopped on my PS5 last night (US based), went to the store and scrolled through all the different versions of Fallout 4 (and the DLC) and literally the only things that didn't cost money were the base PS4 version and the PS4 DLC. I seemingly couldn't grab anything for the PS5 version without paying. And, while I'm pretty sure my digital copy of the game is because of some PS+ thing, I bought all the dlc. I was under the impression this weirdness was ironed out yesterday? I don't care too much as I have other stuff to finish, but it was a bit of a head scratcher based on the last update I saw on the amtter.

StraySheep

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
Oct 26, 2017
The only way to have a change of heart is to just not care about dialogue anymore because it doesnt get better and no mod makes it better, it just makes it less stupid (as in you can read the full lines instead of the mass effect wheel quips that sometimes have nothing to do with the full point)

Are you talking about the dialog itself or that stupid-ass four-way tree that they made? Because that was one of the first things that got modded, even on console:

i mean, thats slightly better for roleplaying purposes but it really doesnt fix the issue in the game. whether the dialogue text mention it or not the game is still built around you looking for baby shaun and the MSQ will still progress under the same beats, unless they changed that too (which i dont remember it doing but i dont think i went all the way to the end on my modded playthrough)

Yeah I did mean the dialogue itself unfortunately, and the false choices it presented you. I might still try it again though at some point.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017

Everything is viable. The only limiting factor is your perk acquisition speed, and because of the way XP curves it's going to be longer after level 50. If you aren't playing on survival, and thus a huge chunk of perks are useless really because you can carry a hospital worth of meds, then you can focus on the 5 ranks of whatever damage type you prefer asap. Melee and ranged weapons have different perks with 4 ranks each to unlock mods which increase damage or increase various other stats. You can be the judge of what you need, be a use finding a great legendary effect on a weapon you like can trivialize a difficulty level

The game is huge and with all DLCs and high intelligence or idiot savant, you can get at fairly high level without too much trouble

bloopland33

Mar 4, 2020
It changed a lot of dialogues, like most all the lines about your relationship with the baby are gone. You're a stranger doing your own thing in the wasteland (you start from outside the vault, several places to choose from), with a quest that will eventually lead you to vault 111. There, you'll find both the original MC died with a holotape about Shaun's kidnapping. You'll then report it to Nick as a kidnapping case and the main quest will continue from there, but as an outsider. The mod even modify MC's voiced dialogue, but for me it's best to just use muted MC mod.
Is this available on console? that's so involved, even changing the voice lines, that's pretty cool

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
The new Enclave mission was fun. It has been a while that I had an actual firefight with enemies without them dying after a couple of bullers, so I appreciate the challenge.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
Tested it out for a little while. PC version appears to be locked at 48 FPS (on my 144 Hz monitor, so ⅓ the framerate). Disabling Vsync in Fallout4Prefs.ini doesn't do anything: the game claims to be running at 72 FPS now, but is still actually clearly running at 48 with broken framepacing. Will keep trying different things and see if they work.

EDIT: I was running the game in windowed mode. Framerate is a solid 144 in fullscreen. Yet another bizarre oversight from this patch. Do not run this game windowed; the framepacing is horrendous there for some reason.

Aurie

Jul 2, 2021
Brooklyn, NY
Nothing to worry about some of the mods still work. I am using the cbbe body mod, the companion mod, and it seems to work with all the custom character clothing mods I've tried so far.

Masterspeed

Oct 25, 2017
England
I've played for about an hour and it's crashed twice :( I've beat this game a couple of times, but I'm starting to think I'm done? I did all the dlc except for Nuka World in my first play through.

I can't see if it's worth it yet.

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
Thank you, is there any recommendations or guides on whats good from the creation club?
The backpack is pretty good IMO if you don't like using power armor everywhere. Plus it just feels correct for a person wandering the wastes to have a backpack on them, you know what I mean?

The CZ-ZRL or whatever it's called is an absolutely OVERPOWERED automatic rifle, it rivals the Handmade in damage and it uses .45 Ammo (with the option to switch to 5.56 to really kick the hornets nest)

The quest to get all the parts for it is whatever, but it's themed alright.

Feb 16, 2022
I don't remember how it was before but loading a save from fresh launch of the game is now only a few seconds. That's cool.

Hecht

Pushin’ me down, pushin’ me down, pushin’ me down
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
Decided to give it a shot. I had to close the game and restart it to get VATS to work. L1 wasn't doing anything.

BrownWalrus

Nov 2, 2017
After playing back and forth between Quality at 40fps and Performance at 60fps on PS5 I've decided to stick with performance. That extra 20fps just makes the experience that much more enjoyable. Frankly i'm just not seeing any difference visually between Quality / Performance, and if I do it's extremely minor. Meanwhile the difference between 40fps and 60fps is pretty substantial (for me).

TyrantII

Oct 25, 2017
Boston
After playing back and forth between Quality at 40fps and Performance at 60fps on PS5 I've decided to stick with performance. That extra 20fps just makes the experience that much more enjoyable. Frankly i'm just not seeing any difference visually between Quality / Performance, and if I do it's extremely minor. Meanwhile the difference between 40fps and 60fps is pretty substantial (for me).

Apparently there's a third option if you pick quality and force 1440P in the PlayStation system menus. You'll get UHD variable 60 with VRR.

Chrno

Oct 25, 2017
Couldn't get it run properly on my Ultra wide-screen after an hour of troubleshooting/research. Refunded.