• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Sep 7, 2018
Persona 5 and Royal spoilers ahead. Please no Persona 3, 4, or Strikers spoilers without tags!

de169ib-bd769b45-3c5b-4b04-b9bd-7e3a8e8a4020.gif

b9f30f1a7dcd2d979f3c53d339c1012c.png

The Persona games have some surprisingly stylish outfits in a genre that's known for terrible outfits. In this entry I want to explore the inspirations in the clothing of characters in the Persona series and how it relates to their character. Persona 3's cast is just in their uniforms for the entire game so there's nothing for me to really comment on there, but in Persona 4 Arena the cast gets all new outfits. They are definitely more costumes than traditional clothes for the most part: Yukiko has a superhero look going on with her, which after playing Persona 5 makes me think maybe in this universe she's an actor for that Featherman TV show and is the pink ranger. Junpei is a professional baseball player I guess. I'm not sure what's going on with Akihiko, that robot is still a robot, and Mitsuru... Mitsuru. I love this outfit. It's glam, it's badass, and it's sexy.

She is the only person I know who can rock a stealth suit with a fur coat and she kills that shit! Yo, I wonder if Solid Snake could pull that shit off.

I'm currently playing through Persona 4 Golden on Steam and I noticed how the series was slowly leaning into the more fashion and trendy side that will be in 5. I immediately noticed the Persona 4 protagonist has a similar style to Persona 5's protagonist as soon as I saw his winter outfit. I said to myself "I could definitely see Joker wearing this." P4's protag does have his shirt tucked in for his summer outfit which Joker doesn't do or wear belts either, but since his shirt isn't tucked you wouldn't see it if is wearing one anyway. P4's protag looks more like he's going to work in his summer clothes though.

Yosuke is hard for me to describe. All I can say is that he's casual and the headphones is a safe accessory to his look.

5ef7ab76bce9e.jpg

Chie definitely gives me the sporty vibes even though she is not an athlete. She kind of does the rebel thing like Kanji and Ryuji by not wearing the school uniform properly. I think she's just wearing her jacket over it, but she still looks out of place from the rest of the students. Speaking of that jacket I love it! The design is simple, but the colors pop so well. I actually bought one for myself from Insert Coin and even used it for a cosplay. Her winter clothes I feel is too similar. The jacket here is green too and looks a bit similar, but it's a darker green kind of olive-like and there's a yin and yang symbol on the back. I don't really like the tops here either. The outfit is whatever.

Her summer outfit I think is better. You get the brighter green and yellow back and then the denim shorts. It feels springy and bubbly. I kind of like it, but it still feels kinda plain to me.

Yukiko I like the red jacket she has on her school uniform. Although it is the same situation as Chie it fits better. The jacket does make it her look more like she's from a different school. I like the red. It's distinct. Her winter clothes she wears a simple red dress with a square collar which looks alright on its own, but it's her accessory that makes it stand out. The scarf makes her outfit look chic. I haven't seen her summer one just yet, so I'll hold off on it.

Kanji has the whole rebel boy look going. There's not much for me to say here on that. It fits him.

I've only briefly gotten to Teddy's human form and his outfit is definitely an homage to those romantic ladies man characters in corny tv shows and romance novels. Him speaking French on top of it confirms it.

Rise. I just met her. I mean she's an idol. I have to play more.

Marie I feel like I can say more on. I feel like she just has that one outfit since she's an attendant in training. She's definitely an alt girl which reflects with her personality. She seems to be going through an internal struggle with herself and is unsure of just who she is. There is pain in her heart. The long striped socks, finger-less gloves, and platform boots are staples among the alt and goth scenes. I really also like the button up with the top button undone and the necktie. The only thing that's out of place or should be out of place is the chauffeur's hat, but it somehow goes with the outfit. It might be because of the matching messenger bag.

The glasses everyone wears in the TV world is a nice touch. That simple accessory brings everyone's style up. I especially enjoy the protagonist's glasses and Kanji's sport sunglasses.

persona-4-golden-pc-steam-release-out-now.jpg

Moving on to Persona 5 now. Again, spoiler warnings.

In Persona 5 each of the Phantom Thieves has their own style and like Persona 4 each character has a color or two associated with them: Joker has a kind of chic, but casual style. His clothes usually have something black in them.

Ryuji%2Bskull.gif

file_de25875abd_original.png

Ryuji is definitely more casual with streetwear and his clothes usually have yellow, red, or purple in it. Nothing much to say about his school uniforms, but his summer uniform shirt does reflect his rebel personality. It's corny, but you get it. I really enjoy the colors in Ryuji's winter fit. The light purple zip up hoodie contrasts well with his dyed hair, the smiley face on his t-shirt and his golden converse.

Panther.gif

Ann%2Blooking%2Bat%2Bclothes.gif

Ann's parents actually work in the fashion industry which also ties in with Ann being a fashion model. With her outfits I kind of see it, but I do wish it pushed a little further. It's a little too safe and plain to me. Ann's style is akin the casual wear you would see in magazines or in ads for clothing stores in a mall like Forever 21 or Gap which makes sense with her hobby. I do like her Winter Clothes outfit a lot, but her Summer Clothes outfit is just, mmm, a little bland to me. I do think she ties with Makoto for the best winter Shujin uniform. I mean she just puts a hoodie underneath it, but I like the contrast of the colors and the design of the hoodie. It has a Letterman font and the four leaf clover on the back of the hood catches your eye. The red leggings also helps make this outfit pop.

Ann%2Bsummer%2Bclothes.jpg

Ann%2Bwinter%2Bclothes2.jpg

Ann%2Bwinter%2Buniform%2Bback.jpg

tumblr_p977t6SLAE1rdrzuxo2_540.gif

maxresdefault.jpg

tumblr_odw4s76YwL1vawqjco1_500.gif

Yusuke's style is hard for me to identify. I am still new into the fashion scene so I don't know everything. I do feel that Yusuke's outfits fit his cliche artist personality, but artist is a broad category, not all artists dress alike. All of them are distinctly Yusuke that's undeniable. Yusuke is the only person I've ever seen wear a damn hoodie at the beach.When the beach episode came up I was like "Aren't you hot in that? I feel hot just looking at you?"

Queen%2Bpersona%2B5.gif

maxresdefault.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Makoto dresses very conservatively and I see some prep inspiration in her fits as well. Her winter Shujin uniform is very 90s to me. It feels like something I would see in Clueless with the turtleneck and the part on top of it. Look here. This is a similar look from Dionne.
original.jpg

Remove the bandana and flip the colors around and it'll look almost just like Makoto's outfit. Makoto has my favorite outfit for the winter clothes. She wears a blue pea coat with a turtle neck and black slim pants that highlights her figure. From her outfit you can tell that Makoto is a very proper person. Her summer outfit took made me confused at first since it has long sleeves, but if the material is thin like it looks here I think she'll be fine unlike Yusuke who wears long sleeves and leather pants in the goddamn summer!

Oracle%2BPersona%2B5.gif

7htcqbltbg131.jpg

When we first see Futaba she is definitely comfortable. It reflects her lifestyle. She almost never leaves her house let alone her room so she puts no effort in her clothes, but I just wouldn't call this fit just some pajamas. It still shows a bit of Futaba's personality in it. The JLMK on her shirt is an abbreviation for just let me know which is usually seen in text messages. She wears a stripped sleeve underneath again adding a bit of alt flair to it which I think still fits with Futaba. Most alt people I know are into at least into one nerdy thing and Futaba's definitely a nerd. Speaking of alt fashion shout out to Tae Takemi, the punk rock doctor. I have to iterate how unique it was for Persona to include a doctor that's into the punk rock subculture. I have to iterate how unique it was for Persona to include a doctor that's into the punk rock subculture. They could've just been safe and designed an ordinary doctor like how they did with Maruki, or the cliche sexy female doctor look with the lab coat acting as short dress with some high heels, well Tae is still wearing heels in her doctor uniform, but they made her overall appearance more distinguished.
e4d74c8ea3ba466950c2ded596075597.jpg

Futaba%2Bsummer%2Bclothes.jpg

Futaba's summer clothes is definitely gamer. A top with Tetris and some khaki pants; yep. The fanny pack makes it look a tiny bit more interesting at least.

Futaba%2Bwinter%2Bclothes.jpg

Actually, I take back what I said earlier about Makoto. Futaba has the best winter outfit. That combination is like moi. The parka jacket is the what sets the whole thing off. The red on the white t-shirt is a complimentary to the green and the black tank underneath matches the bottom half of the fit. We have some black shorts with a studded belt, the black stockings and the return of the platform boots. She also sports some headphones for an accessory taking cues from Yosuke. She wears the jacket off the shoulders giving it more pizazz. It wouldn't hit quite as hard if it was on the regular way. You killed this Futaba. Good job!

noir%2Bpersona%2B5.gif

42795-395413656.png

P5R-DLC-05120.jpg

Haru's style is definitely girly and her outfits symbolize her social status. Haru dons a light purple zip-up tunic sweater over her uniform in the winter. Just that simple extra touch makes her look a bit more sophisticated. That goes for her summer uniform as well. The light purple tops she wears over her school uniforms are fine, but her casual outfits are the standouts here.

Haru%2Bsummer%2Bclothes.jpg

Haru%2BSummer%2Bclothes2.jpg

As soon as I saw her summer casual outfit in the game I thought it was sooo cute. It's this semi-translucent green dress with a white collar, stockings, and some cream colored pumps. Her winter casual fit is the embodiment of the rich girl aesthetic.

Haru%2Bwinter%2Bclothes.jpg

You got the baby blue coat with the extra fluffy fur collar and a bow to tie everything together. She looks like she bought her outfit from a luxury brand like Bernadette.

72750ecb577f7affc53b2489ba6cbb6868d15b76_00.gif

aefccnqvub331.jpg

Akechi's style is mix between preppy and what I like to call "TV detective" of course in his uniform as you know he dons a brown trench coat with slacks and black gloves. You can also see a button up underneath with a tie. You know basic detective shit in fiction. His summer school uniform is more like a modern detective. He wears a white short sleeve button up with a black and white vertically striped tie and dress pants with dress shoes. It's basically his winter uniform without the trench coat. Like he's about to go sit at his desk. The only casual fit Akechi has pre-3rd semester is his winter fit. Here he wears a v neck diamond pattern sweater vest with a long sleeve button up with the top button undone, some beige slacks, and brown loafers. It fits his clean good boy image that he made for himself.

7af65d8c66e32c13781ff0ff5cebc89603eb0b25.jpg

a6f7e0aee98510993026d71722233f7d676fc11fr1-500-185_hq.gif

EHko7_aX0AM1Yqr.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

persona-5-royal-kasumi-2.jpg

Kasmui%2Bwinter%2Bclothes.jpg

Lastly, we have Kasumi. Kasumi's style is definitely vintage. The argument can be made for Haru as well. The pea coats and sweaters she wear were popular in the sixties and the cowl neck sweater from the thirties, but the way Haru wears them is more akin to current upper class fashion while Kasumi is more align to middle class vintage of her respected eras. Kasumi's winter school uniform is nothing special. You have the ribbon in her hair and the long black stockings to make her stand out a bit more. She also wears what looks like red ballet shoes too. The ballet shoes representing her dancer background. Oh, and I didn't notice this until recently, but in her winter uniform she even wears a ribbon tied into a bow at the collar like in her hair. Her summer uniform has her in a cream colored cardigan with a white button up underneath, the Shujin skirt with short white athletic socks and I think those are brown ballet shoes or they might be loafers. I think those are loafers.

Her casual outfits are the most interesting. In the summer time Kasumi likes to wear a polka-dot blouse off the shoulders with white loose cuffed shorts, and sandals. This outfit was definitely popular in the 50s. Polka dots come and go but their real popular period was during the 50s and polka dot outfits in media were always presented in a sunny way which fits Kasumi's bubbly personality. Her winter clothes has her wearing a long sleeve white frilled sweater with a long red skirt and black boots.

Persona 5 Royal added in new outfits for each character in the 3rd semester. Shujin students got this new long jacket that looks way better than wearing those boring blazers. Joker keeps his fit fresh rocking a blue scarf with his and the blazer underneath is completely buttoned leaving this split triangle shape at the bottom. Ryuji keeps it street with a red graphic hoodie and a blue shirt underneath. A skull is on the hoodie representing his code name. On my first playthrough I mistook Ann's uniform for her casual outfit. Understandably because it looks similar to her winter outfit. She wears another Letterman jacket, but this one's white and brown over her Shujin uniform and she brings back the red leggings with red shoes as well. This one I don't really like. The color of the jacket I dislike and it clashes with the rest of the outfit. It doesn't match.

Yusuke dons a teal coat over his school uniform. It kind of looks like a tail coat in the back. Makoto just wears the new Shujin coat over her winter uniform with some gloves, nothing too different. Haru's got a pea coat herself for the third semester. This light purple coat she wears over her uniform and accessorizes with some pink earmuffs and matching mittens. For the bottom half she has gray stockings and red ankle boots for some pop. You know keeping it classy. Sumire wears the new Shujin jacket over her winter uniform, but adds a pink scarf.

xtmyyeqldvb51.jpg

The casual winter outfits are where most of the characters branch out. Joker also stays swaggy with the fits. He got a black turtleneck sweater with a charcoal jacket. This outfit looks like something Kyle Barker would've worn on Living Single. Ryuji's is too busy for me. Still keeping with the street aesthetic he got himself a purple puffer jacket and another red sweatshirt with a paint splash design and I'm not sure what it's called, but I don't think the camo thing he has around his neck goes with the outfit and I just don't like the shape of the puffer jacket. It ain't that bad though. Ann's is really cute. You got some skinny jeans with a print of a heart on it, a cute little call to her being of the Lover's Arcana. Scarves are definitely in this semester too. It goes great with the leather jacket. Makoto stays with the conservative look and her sister even gets a trench coat too. Futaba has another gamer piece, but I want to like hers, but that hoodie she's wearing is way to big for her. There's a weird shape at the bottom of it. I like the actual design of the hoodie itself, but that shit is way too big on her. I guess that does inline with her nerd background though as it has been said a lot even on here that gamers wear ill fitting clothes. I do like the straps she has on and the knit cap and headphones.

Bernadette%2Bfur%2Bcoat.png

A luxury coat with a fur interior that extends to the collar and sleeves.

Haru on her day off in the 3rd semester

Haru on her day off in the 3rd semester.

Haru boujieness reaches a whole new level hear as she wears a dress that's akin to a luxury coat with the fur collar and sleeve ends. She also wears a french beret calling to her code name and some polka dot leggings. This is high vintage fashion with some french aesthetic and considering how Paris is considered to be prestige in the art and fashion world it makes sense for her character. Akechi's style doesn't change really. He gets a brand new trench coat buttoned all the way and tied with a plaid scarf around the neck. For his casual he wears a brown blazer over a green v neck sweater and white dress shirt buttoned to the top. He wears gray slacks and black dress shoes this time.

In the 3rd semester winter Sumire wears a long red overcoat with black leggings and some dark green Mary Jane heels. The overcoat was invented in the late 1800s and got popular on and off throughout the decades. The style she wears here again is similar to the 1950s style that was popular among the working class and the Mary Jane heels she wears is an early 1900s shoe that again is a recurring trend in fashion.

Futaba%2Bdancing%2Boutfit.png

I don't really care for covering the dancing game outfits. I don't like any of them except for Futaba's which is pretty similar to her regular winter outfit so I really couldn't. The rest of them seem to be trying too hard and Ryuji's offends me.I went on with this longer than I intended. I think the Persona series is one of the best with fashion in gaming and I'm looking forward to see the new looks in Strikers. Let me know what you all think about the fashion in Persona.

Last edited:

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
The less said about Mitsuru's skintight nipple suit the better.

DkilOXvX4AA8cuT.jpg:large

cvbas

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Great thread. I feel like Persona 5 has one of the best costume designs I've ever seen. They're all very realistic and fit well with the characters personalities. Joker is probably the most stylish character of last gen.

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
I think Persona's great fashion goes back further. Persona 2 has characters like Baofu here with his sophisticated look

latest

or Ulala with her incredible spiderweb ensemble but you'll notice that despite the dress, her boots look plated at the bottom and her hands are taped for combat and she's ready to go

latest

SMT has really been at top of JRPG style for a very long time.

Shining Star

Banned
May 14, 2019
Great thread! Persona does have a good fashion game especially Persona 5 where everyone has such a distinct style that fits their character really well. Haru is my favorite especially her casual look with the light pink turtleneck cardigan and flower print tights I think I relate to her the most. Though her P5D outfit is a bit more of a... mixed bag if I'm being generous (ballet shoes with heels?? A corset?) Maybe we look past that one.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
Great effort in the OP, thanks OP.

I honestly have been inspired by persona fashion to express myself more and use more color in my outfits. For example, last year after P5R I bought a stylish red leather jacket that is the loudest thing I've ever owned in terms of color, and I'm enjoying dressing it in whites and blacks with the red jacket on top.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
I think Persona's great fashion goes back further. Persona 2 has characters like Baofu here with his sophisticated look

latest

or Ulala with her incredible spiderweb ensemble but you'll notice that despite the dress, her boots look plated at the bottom and her hands are taped for combat and she's ready to go

latest

One of Kaneko's forte.

Not only designing monsters, mechas, characters, but also cool stylish clothes.

Sure there are weird ones, lol, but cool to me nonetheless.

EDIT:
Man...

What does it take to make him back into character designer in games again...

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I do agree with the general sentiment that characters dress well in Persona. I do generally really like the non-school outfits P5's cast wears in the real world, in particular.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017

latest

latest

Came here for this. While we're at it...

Regarding Ulala, and I can't find a source on this other than the wiki: https://megamitensei.fandom.com/wiki/Ulala_Serizawa

She dresses in a set of a dark green blouse and a long skirt with a spider web pattern, which symbolizes that Ulala is trapped in her own issues and could not escape from those troubles. She also wears dark boots and bandages on her hands.
I love when they do stuff like this.

latest

Maya's outfit is custom made and is even used as her business casual outfit.

latest

I've always had a soft spot for the St. Hermelin uniform, but I particularly love Yukino's long skirt variant of it. It's something completely unique to her as opposed to all the other girls in the school.

MonadL

Oct 25, 2017
I know the answer is 'Because anime' but how are Mitsuru's titties jiggling like that in what I presume is some kind of body armor lmao

Jul 1, 2020
One of my favorite things about the Persona games is how stylish they are and how that style bleeds into every visual aspect of the game. I've always thought Persona 5 never really had an art style but a full blown aesthetic.

Saturday

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Ay anybody know where I can cop a pair of those Shujin Academy plaid pants? been looking for ages, can never seem to find a pair.

Anyway yeah persona's always got some good variety, it's real cool that in strikers everybody's got a new default outfit, and examples are scattered throughout the earlier series and SMT. One example is that Tatsuya's motorcycle jacket, which.. kinda grew on me:

Shout-out to Naoto, who's got some pretty distinct jacket cuts:

OP
OP
Shawn The Wonder
Sep 7, 2018
Ryuji-P4D-Costume.jpg

To go into detail on why I really dislike Ryuji's dancing fit Ryuji's dancing outfit is definitely taking from late 90s early 2000's hip-hop culture, but the shit is too much like a caricature and after Ryuji's whole " Don't I seem more like an LA guy? Like a total gangsta" line I do not co-sign this.

Dunan

Jun 11, 2018
Some trivia: I work in Tokyo's Aoyama 1-chome, setting of Persona 5. There is a high school northwest of there, near the Yakult Swallows' stadium, that has uniforms that must have inspired the developers of the game, because while the color scheme is different (blue and gold compared to P5's black and red), the plaid pants for the boys and skirts for the girls look just like P5's uniforms.

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
Ryuji-P4D-Costume.jpg

To go into detail on why I really dislike Ryuji's dancing fit Ryuji's dancing outfit is definitely taking from late 90s early 2000's hip-hop culture, but the shit is too much like a caricature and after Ryuji's whole " Don't I seem more like an LA guy? Like a total gangsta" line I do not co-sign this.
He's got a better one in the actual Dancing game. I liked Haru and Yusuke's outfits out of the ones that were added to P5 as DLC, but none of them were even in P5D for some reason lol

4058c8d167a3d8ef71968022bdbfe80a.jpg

lusca_bueno

Nov 23, 2017

latest

latest

YES. It's so good.

315ee85d5011f5b75f4cd3bf413e3b8b.jpg

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Broke: Persona character designs

Woke: Devil Summoner designs

28722-shin-megami-tensei-devil-summoner-sega-saturn-front-cover.jpg

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
reminds me a lot of kubo's stuff for bleach color pages and stuff

Oct 27, 2017
I wasn't a huge fan of persona 3 when it came out, but I went ahead and bought a set of these black ones. Apparently they did make P3 branded ones - ATH-EM7s
Japan-Black-Audio-Technica-ATH-EM700-ATH-EM7-Persona-style-Ear-Hook.jpg

iirc they bled out a ton of sound, but did sound great. Also, they were more comfortable than they look, but they applied enough pressure so that if you had them on too long, you'd feel them pinching and tenderizing your skin around your ear. it'd get really itchy.

I ended up getting rid of them once I started keeping my hair short because they looked suuuuper dumb without hair covering them up a bit lol

edit: oof now I'm remembering how all around meh these ended up being-- this cord situation was as bad as it looks here. you could angle it down more, but it's always at this completely weird angle and it felt fragile where it connected. One bad pull and these suckers probably croaked
ceFSfN6ARlCUw.jpg

Last edited:

GeezyAF

Oct 28, 2017
About Futaba's 3rd Winter Semester Outfit -

I do know women that like to wear oversized hoodies. I felt that this was an intentional comfy choice by her rather than a "idk how to dress" type of choice. Just my opinion, of course.

ARobotCalledV

Aug 22, 2020
I've got to disagree. Despite their cool character designs and style, Persona 3 to 5 has generally pretty awful fashion, whether looking at it as street wear or high fashion. Their out of school clothes are all so boring. Kaneko on the other hand has some seriously great clothing designs that look reminiscent of professional high end designers like Kiko Kostadinov.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Kaneko on the other hand has some seriously great clothing designs that look reminiscent of professional high end designers like Kiko Kostadinov.
He briefly talks about that sort of thing in this interview with Tomomi Kobayashi of SaGa fame if you're interested:

XBnYqMW.png

You also get anecdotes about him idolising Travolta in Saturday Night Fever and going out disco dancing, taking photos of himself and then adding sparkles to his eyes via post-processing, etc. I've linked it before because it's wonderful.

ARobotCalledV

Aug 22, 2020

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I haven't played Royal, but I really like Kasumi's 'real world' outfits. Think they look really cool to me, and I like the vintage feel to them. Wish she was an option as a main protagonist for Royal, but I digress.

Also think Makoto and Haru have some nice real world outfits as well. Makoto's outfits I think go really well with her cute hairstyle. As an aside, I was really happy when FFXIV added a hairstyle similar to Makoto's in the game lol.

pbayne

Oct 27, 2017
Why does Akechi dress like hes always about to attend sunday school?

Persona 2 is definitly more Jojo inspired with the crazy ridiclous fashion that looks "interesting" but would look fucking stupid irl.

Last edited:

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
Looooooooooove this thread, thank you OP.

Soejima really fired on all cylinders for P5. Playing Strikers the past few days is really making me wanna break out my art book LOL

aiswyda

Aug 11, 2018
Cool thread OP! I love the fashion of Persona, and agree that P5 is the most stylish and super fun. But I take issue with the idea that Persona 4 was merely a step towards being fashionable; Persona 4's fashion is so distinctively small town rural fashion as opposed to the stylish big city fashion of P5--I'd be really surprised if it wasn't intentional, especially if we compare the design differences between Persona 3 and Persona 4.

Let's compare the casual outfits of Mitsuru and Yukiko, who are both supposed to fill the school beauty role.

ecc81ad65f02b6226108cca3cb6801ed.jpg

Mitsuru's fashion is slick and chic. It looks very modern for the time period (Mid 2000s) and def looks like more expensive fashion--something Mitsuru would have access to money wise, and suits the bustling city location of Persona 3.

Yukiko's fashion is cute! But it def has a more retro / cutsey feel to it. Although the shirt is a style that is still worn in Japan today, it's not really considered cutting edge fashion iirc. It's more like just...cute stuff that is a staple. Nothing fancy--a classic.

I think that runs true for a lot of Persona 4 fashion. They live in a rural area, where there's a lot less access to fashion (esp since it originally came out in the mid 2000s, and internet shopping wasn't as big as it is today). The small town aspect and lack of access to big town amenities is a huge focus of the original game. I know Golden adds in access to like a beach??? city?? that's a little more modern/chic (it has a cafe and a clothing store), but the original was really like--it's downtown, and Junes. There's no place to go buy cute clothes, or whatever.

You can contrast Yukiko and Chie's relatively plain and sort of outdated fashion with Rise and Yosuke. Both RIse and Yosuke dress relatively simply as well, but Rise's outfits were much more 'current' with modern fashion. Yosuke wears v necks, has a nice pair of headphones, and has more fashionable winter wear which feel a little more city boy imo.

All that is to say is that I feel like Persona 4's fashion is intentionally less fashionable than something like Persona 5. It brings such a great aesthetic element to the game imo--just like P5's fashion does for P5.

ARobotCalledV

Aug 22, 2020
Persona 2 is definitly more Jojo inspired with the crazy ridiclous fashion that looks "interesting" but would look fucking stupid irl.

I dislike this perspective so much. Look at all the Kaneko examples above would look great in real life, just like a Kiko, Kapital or Undercover piece does. The idea that fashion needs to be limited to generic disposable artless and culture less garbage to look good in real life is so lame.

StraySheep

Oct 26, 2017
Certainly by 5, Persona character design and fashion is top of it's class. I kept thinking this playing the Winter section of Royal.
Cool thread OP! I love the fashion of Persona, and agree that P5 is the most stylish and super fun. But I take issue with the idea that Persona 4 was merely a step towards being fashionable; Persona 4's fashion is so distinctively small town rural fashion as opposed to the stylish big city fashion of P5--I'd be really surprised if it wasn't intentional, especially if we compare the design differences between Persona 3 and Persona 4.

Let's compare the casual outfits of Mitsuru and Yukiko, who are both supposed to fill the school beauty role.

ecc81ad65f02b6226108cca3cb6801ed.jpg

Mitsuru's fashion is slick and chic. It looks very modern for the time period (Mid 2000s) and def looks like more expensive fashion--something Mitsuru would have access to money wise, and suits the bustling city location of Persona 3.

Yukiko's fashion is cute! But it def has a more retro / cutsey feel to it. Although the shirt is a style that is still worn in Japan today, it's not really considered cutting edge fashion iirc. It's more like just...cute stuff that is a staple. Nothing fancy--a classic.

I think that runs true for a lot of Persona 4 fashion. They live in a rural area, where there's a lot less access to fashion (esp since it originally came out in the mid 2000s, and internet shopping wasn't as big as it is today). The small town aspect and lack of access to big town amenities is a huge focus of the original game. I know Golden adds in access to like a beach??? city?? that's a little more modern/chic (it has a cafe and a clothing store), but the original was really like--it's downtown, and Junes. There's no place to go buy cute clothes, or whatever.

You can contrast Yukiko and Chie's relatively plain and sort of outdated fashion with Rise and Yosuke. Both RIse and Yosuke dress relatively simply as well, but Rise's outfits were much more 'current' with modern fashion. Yosuke wears v necks, has a nice pair of headphones, and has more fashionable winter wear which feel a little more city boy imo.

All that is to say is that I feel like Persona 4's fashion is intentionally less fashionable than something like Persona 5. It brings such a great aesthetic element to the game imo--just like P5's fashion does for P5.

Didn't stop to think about that. Good points.

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nice thread! I don't have much to contribute but I still think the P1 school uniforms are the best in the series with 5's being a close second.

latest

Persona-20th-Magazine-Cover.jpg