• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
8AUQ7YlJJA9C8kWk8P4YNHIcFDE.jpg

It's tons of fun to watch with the film having just the right tone, Barbosa is a great villain, and Johnny Depp is perfect as Jack Sparrow in this film (the latter sequels would progressively dumb him down).

Orlando Bloom and Keira Knightley both do serviceable jobs as well, I was surprised when I found out Knightley was only 17 when she filmed this movie. She looked a lot older.

And who doesn't love the main theme?
https://youtu.be/yRh-dzrI4Z4

It's a shame the pirate sequels became increasingly more bloated, and even this one is a little too long, but it's always entertaining.

Last edited:

robot

Oct 27, 2017
It's a great film, regardless of how you feel about any of the sequels. Now that Johnny Depp's reputation is out of the gutter I wonder if people will re-evaluate the later ones a bit.

It's long as hell, but I enjoyed this video that goes into detail about the nice touches that made the movie great. The movie is a lot smarter than it had any right to be for being based on a dumb theme-park ride.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
The second one was great too. Not as good but not anything really wrong with it either.

Moppeh

Oct 28, 2017
Great flick. The theme is so infectious, Depp fucking nails it and the film is a ton of fun.

It's a shame none of the other films could reach the same heights. The most recent one is absolutely dreadful.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I put Pirates 1 and 2 on the same level. Love them both.

The most recent one was a blast too. I hope people give it another chance in the future.

Moppeh

Oct 28, 2017
+1 for Dead Man's Chest. Davey Jones is a strong enough addition to make up for its shortcomings.

It's been a while since I've seen it but I recall enjoying it. I bet that CG holds up better than anything else from that year as well. Davey Jones looked fantastic.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It was one of those movies that as soon as it ended you were sad because you missed the characters. Might be the last movie I saw that made me feel that way.

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
I love the whole trilogy.

Curse of the Black Pearl is a wonderful standalone film and Geoffrey Rush is so god damn good as Barbosa.
Dead Man's Chest is a bit of a mess, but goes in a crazy direction thanks to Bill Nighy taking the series villain to the next level
At World's End is a convoluted mess of confusion and amazingness. The pirate lords meeting, Keith Richards as Jack's pop, the whirlpool fight at the end, the music, the flagship being blown to pieces by the black pearl and the dutchman. So. God. Damn. Good.

I fell asleep during the other two. Really wasted the talents of Javier Bardem and Ian McShane, IMO

etta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The entire trilogy was fantastic, they don't make them like that anymore.

The writing had wit and character, flowing thick and rich with personality.

Moppeh

Oct 28, 2017
The most recent one was a blast too. I hope people give it another chance in the future.

Can't say I agree with that one bit. Depp phones it in so hard. Barbossa's STEM daughter is overwritten feminism that is spoon fed in such a ridiculously patronizing manner. The villain sucks. Shoehorning the old characters in doesn't work at all. None of the setpieces really work, or the ones that do are just straight up lifted from other films (the opening heist is just the vault scene from Fast Five).

It's cool that you liked it, though. But boy, I hated watching that in the theater. Just a colossal mistake on my part to sit through the whole thing.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
1, 2, and 3 are all a lot of fun, even if they do get a bit messy writing-wise the further into the series you get.

I don't know if I've seen any of the ones after. If I do I don't remember them.

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
I love the whole trilogy.

Curse of the Black Pearl is a wonderful standalone film and Geoffrey Rush is so god damn good as Barbosa.
Dead Man's Chest is a bit of a mess, but goes in a crazy direction thanks to Bill Nighy taking the series villain to the next level
At World's End is a convoluted mess of confusion and amazingness. The pirate lords meeting, Keith Richards as Jack's pop, the whirlpool fight at the end, the music, the flagship being blown to pieces by the black pearl and the dutchman. So. God. Damn. Good.

I fell asleep during the other two. Really wasted the talents of Javier Bardem and Ian McShane, IMO

I will forever maintain that the convoluted aspect of the 3rd is 100% intentional. You have no idea who is actually on whose side, and that's the point. They're pirates. They don't know whose side they're on.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Raiders / Crusade
Jackie Chan films
Zorro / Mummy
Pirates 1

That's about it for top-tier modern adventure films

SneakyBadger

Oct 26, 2017
Jack Sparrow elevates the whole thing to another level. The first iteration of him in Curse of the Black Pearl is the greatest blockbuster movie character of all time.

It's the only film besides LoTR that everyone I knew went to watch at the theaters multiple times.

Oct 28, 2017
California
Saw this is theaters when I was 15 I think, absolutely loved it. All the sequels are trash but the 1st Pirates is excellent filmmaking.

I know its an action-adventure movie, but one of my favorite lines is Barbossa's "I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request" line.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well there haven't been many since then. Prince of Persia I guess?

But yeah the first one is fantastic. The only big problem I had with it is Will Turner being a really bland character.
2 is half of a good movie and 3....is 3. Not so good. It's kind of how I felt about the Matrix trilogy. They slowly went up their own ass over time.
Never seen the last two though.

MrPink

Oct 27, 2017
I swear Hans Zimmer is the laziest fucking composer out there. I remember reading that for Interstellar, Nolan had to specifically tell him NOT to reuse any of his old ques.

While Zimmer (and his company) rehashes a ton of themes, In the case of Pirates of the Caribbean, it was because they had like 2-3 weeks to actually compose the music after Alan Silvestri dropped out, so I think it was more out of necessity.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
I fucking love the writing in this film. It oozes that fancy pirate prose all charismatic sea bandits in fiction should have. It's music to my ears, and makes me feel like I'm watching a huge budget play instead of a blockbuster movie.

Moppeh

Oct 28, 2017
I don't agree. I thought it was fine.

"Overwritten feminism" is a questionable thing to say, honestly.

Eh, fair enough. Overwritten was the wrong word, I think. There are moments where it feels overwritten but in reality, it just feels lazy. The character doesn't have much of an identity beyond leaning into the STEM stuff. It's not like my view on this is unique. Lindsay Ellis brings this up in her video essay, using examples from other Disney films.

In an era where women have more and greater opportunities to be heard and represented, I just think Disney can do better. If you think that it was fine, then more power to you but I didn't.

EDIT: Oh, and if you are going to include a character like that, maybe, I dunno, hire a woman to write the script instead of those dudes? Unless those dudes demonstrate they can actual write that sort of character well.

Last edited:

Lexad

Nov 4, 2017
I am a huge fan of the first three, really original and haven't seen much like it since. 4 was forgettable, I somewhat enjoyed 5

mikeamizzle

Oct 25, 2017
It is tremendous. Its also streaming in 4K (HDR10) on Disney+.

Edit: master and commander was great, good pick poster above.

Deleted member 16516

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
Master_and_Commander_The_Far_Side_of_the_World-815088478-large.jpg

I'd argue that Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World is an adventure/swashbuckling film and is far beyond any of the Pirates films. A genuine masterpiece.

Kaswa101

Oct 28, 2017
I love some of these films, but the most recent one left a sour taste.

First two are pretty amazing imo. And the third has some great ideas but becomes a bit too messy (sometimes in a good way though lol)

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
How many good "swashbuckling" films are there even? It seems like kind of a niche thing.