• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
Whenever I rewatch the films it's incredible how much I enjoy a Dead's Man Chest but hate At World's End. They are both essentially the same film just split into two parts. Yet World's End is WAY worse in my opinion and can't believe it could drop off that fast.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
The first film is still great. But the second gets exceptionally nauseating, and the third, I hate literally every character except for fucking Norrington. At World's End is such a preposterously overthetop mess that goes in a million directions and satisfies none of them.

Oct 25, 2017
Whenever I rewatch the films it's incredible how much I enjoy a Dead's Man Chest but hate At World's End. They are both essentially the same film just split into two parts. Yet World's End is WAY worse in my opinion and can't believe it could drop off that fast.
It feels like its greatest strength(blank checks for everything, little corporate interference in creative choices)
ran a little too wild with it and it was just too much for a single movie especially one that is already technically half of another 3ish hour movie.

AWE has so much good but it's so surrounded by just "stuff" you just get lost in a swamp even as someone who loves all 5 of these movies

East India Trading Company/British
Davy Jones
Calypso
Breathern Court
Elizabeth becoming the Singaporean Pirate Captain
Jack in the Locker

So much stuff happening in that movie

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
Eh, nah. Fun film but the series was progressively worse and worse, Bloom and Knightley were dullll, and Sparra got old. I'll happily watch it, but they're not as good as, say, old Indy.

Master and Commander is indeed a better film too.

Zimmer's reusing of themes went back to Face/Off, even. Possibly further.

Oh and the Lone Ranger? I thought it was terrible.

UltimateHigh

Oct 25, 2017
first was unexpectably fantastic. the follow ups were convuluted and nowhere as good.

the jack sparrow shine dulled rather quickly.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i thought it was a bit overrated (at the time, when it became a surprise mega hit). but yeah decent adventure flick and they don't particularly make em like that anymore

shame, the series could've gone onto be the next indiana jones or some such if they didn't go so apeshit with the sequels (which were still okay in their own right, but i'd never watch them again)

JangleLuke

Oct 4, 2018
Someone already mentioned it, but The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret of the Unicorn is a great adventure movie from what I remember.
It also has some kickass setpieces.

zvPc_8mW_uQ7LwhxvxJQOWww01Sn2mCPvhKdynwj7j1vR6anYTCxQBqW4f_A_X5dnJBff8iPMihW8pGLnO-ebgVsbxWhivxRqG5t0H06NXLgfUkQ0NCtf74_2I0rXpkh7-FIreuBRBYIBzBSI1GIkoidwE6EnDGDAkXMm-FZ8oQMWleU_ApEfEMsUQbhytQwURQbPgRDNEkDYKk

Oct 27, 2017
I love the first film. It's a classic adventure which definitely is better than it had any right to be, elevated by a great cast putting in A+ performances (especially Depp and Rush). Elizabeth and Will are fine as the focus with Jack better placed as a quirky side character, which IMO is one of the big mistakes the sequel made, and Barbossa is just a delicious bad guy who should have never returned for the sequels. It also has superb practical effects and amazeballs music!

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Personally, I thought the first film was mediocre, the second was great, and the third was fucking terrible. I also saw at least one of the movies after the original trilogy, but can't remember much except that they were bad.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like Dead Man's Chest would be as good as Black Pearl if the whole island detour was cut out. That stops the pacing and plot dead in its tracks for like half an hour.

Go straight from the black spot to the crew traveling upriver because of the black spot, and Dead Man's Chest would be a stellar adventure

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
Definitely a modern classic. Dead Man's Chest isn't as rewatchable in a vacuum, but I love that one dearly as well. An ending to rival the original's intro.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
This is such a great movie.

I don't even remember a trailer for it so I missed it in theaters (would have been amazing to see in a theater). I was lucky and a friend told me to watch it the next year and gave me the dvd. Was totally blown away. Really makes you feel like you are there in that world. Everything about the movie is pretty much perfect.

Fevaweva

Oct 30, 2017
Lindsey Ellis did an amazing video essay on the Pirates films, focusing on the first one. Its an interesting watch:

Tito

Oct 28, 2017
Fantastic movie, the sequels suck.

The main problem IMO is that they transitioned from cartoon like violence (the kind of violence like the A-team series, there's an explosion, and the bad guys jump doing a flip, they are probably dead, but you can still watch it with the kids) to realistic; and you can see it right at the beginning of the second one.

The humor is something definitively missing from the sequels, the quips, etc. It was really fun to see people telling legends about Jack Sparrow and his legendary ship, and then it turns that he is just a drunk pirate with a terrible tripulation, and all the legends about him are made up.

Sadly, the movies took themselves to seriously, when what made the first one great, was that it was a fun ride, in the same way the National Treasure films are made, or the recent Jumanji films (which are great).

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
Been watching the trilogy for the first time in years. I'm heartened by how much I still love it. Haven't had trouble following the plot, either, though I've yet to start At World's End.

Maybe I'll give On Stranger Tides a fairer shake afterward. I fell asleep to it years ago and wasn't interested in returning. And 5 was just too weh too late. One or two good action set pieces surrounded with characters that are woefully diluted. Say what you will about Gore Verbinski, he at least knew how to make his Pirates films feel purposeful. The mood I got going from 3 to 4 was like going from "This is what we're doing" to "I guess we should probably do something".

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
I liked the trilogy honestly......should have ended after that though.

I didn't mind the ending of it (6th movie i think) at all, was an ok stupid film

KeyBladerXIII

Dec 5, 2017
The end of Dead Man's Chest when you-know-who comes down the steps was the hypest shit when i saw it in theaters.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
Finished At World's End. Still love it. Haven't seen anything so completely off the chain since.

All the treacheries around the middle can be a little hard to follow, but there's not too much tension built around them anyway, so you can still get by just watching how things unfold.

Anyone know why Pirates 4 isn't on Disney+? Is it somewhere else?

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
It's great. Johnny Depp made that movie what it is. I am so glad he didn't turn out to be who he was portrayed as. Been a huge fan since I was young. They just don't make good adventure movies in general these days. The CGI effects and action sequences are bloated and look fake, and are extremely hard to follow, just like any blockbuster movie. Loses the fun factor for me. If they scale down on that CGI stuff, concentrate on fun character driven stories, just the sheer fun nature of traveling from one spot to another, strong acting and practical effects, then adventure movies will be good.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
For sure. The Rock is kind of like Depp too, in that he can pretty much carry anything he's put in. I can't see it not being enjoyable.
Depp doesn't show it off anymore, but he can carry anything. He can do Edward Scissorhands, Finding Neverland, Gilbert Grape as well as he does Jack Sparrow and Alice in Wonderland. The Rock hasn't show that range yet.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
Me and the wife re-watched The Revenant last night and for some reason it made me realize that there are hardly any pirate films. We need a good, serious tone one. I liked the PotC movies, but it's time for a darker, more serious approach.
But everything is darker and more serious. But anyway, watch Black Sails, it is exactly what you're looking for.

m0therzer0

Mobile Gaming Product Manager
Verified
Nov 19, 2017
San Francisco bay area
Depp doesn't show it off anymore, but he can carry anything. He can do Edward Scissorhands, Finding Neverland, Gilbert Grape as well as he does Jack Sparrow and Alice in Wonderland. The Rock hasn't show that range yet.
Oh yeah, I wasn't saying The Rock has the same range as Depp, just that within this genre he has the same level of charm and charisma that could elevate a boring movie to watchable.

Now that you say it, though, I would absolutely watch Edward Scissorhands staring The Rock.

Oct 26, 2017
It's probably because I love the comics, but I really wanted to love Valerian. I think it would have been much better had they gone the Tintin route and just animate the whole damn thing. As is, there's only a few pointless human characters and the rest is all scenery anyway. Cara as Laureline would have been fine if they just had given her some goddamn red hair. Valerian though ... ugh. I don't usually complain about miscasting, but he's Jupiter Ascending levels of bad. The comic lives very much on the chemistry of the main characters, and there was negative chemistry here.

That said, it's a stunningly beautiful and imaginative movie (mostly of course because it straight up rips almost everything from the comics). It's worth seeing just for that. Just assume Valerian is an asshole and Laureline is somehow into that.

m0therzer0

Mobile Gaming Product Manager
Verified
Nov 19, 2017
San Francisco bay area
It's probably because I love the comics, but I really wanted to love Valerian. I think it would have been much better had they gone the Tintin route and just animate the whole damn thing. As is, there's only a few pointless human characters and the rest is all scenery anyway. Cara as Laureline would have been fine if they just had given her some goddamn red hair. Valerian though ... ugh. I don't usually complain about miscasting, but he's Jupiter Ascending levels of bad. The comic lives very much on the chemistry of the main characters, and there was negative chemistry here.

That said, it's a stunningly beautiful and imaginative movie (mostly of course because it straight up rips almost everything from the comics). It's worth seeing just for that. Just assume Valerian is an asshole and Laureline is somehow into that.
Based on the visuals I really wanted to like Valerian going into it, but he's just such an asshole. Was he the same in the comics?

SneakyBadger

Oct 26, 2017
Fantastic movie, the sequels suck.

The main problem IMO is that they transitioned from cartoon like violence (the kind of violence like the A-team series, there's an explosion, and the bad guys jump doing a flip, they are probably dead, but you can still watch it with the kids) to realistic; and you can see it right at the beginning of the second one.

The humor is something definitively missing from the sequels, the quips, etc. It was really fun to see people telling legends about Jack Sparrow and his legendary ship, and then it turns that he is just a drunk pirate with a terrible tripulation, and all the legends about him are made up.

Sadly, the movies took themselves to seriously, when what made the first one great, was that it was a fun ride, in the same way the National Treasure films are made, or the recent Jumanji films (which are great).
All true. The real root of the problem, I think, is that the two main screenwriters behind the franchise peaked at Pirates 1 and then kinda lost their talent. They were involved in Aladdin, Mask of Zorro, Road to El Dorado, Shrek, Treasure Planet, etc. They knew how to make fun films back in the day, but after Black Pearl they never really made a good movie again.

Oct 26, 2017
Based on the visuals I really wanted to like Valerian going into it, but he's just such an asshole. Was he the same in the comics?

Not at all. He can be a bit stiff and sometimes a bit of a buffoon, but he's generally clever, skilled and quite likable. He doesn't have Laureline's way with creatures, but he tends to get along with most of the different alien people they meet.

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
I really enjoyed Dead Man's Chest. Davy Jones was a great villain in that movie, and there's some great moments in there.