The first Pirates of the Caribbean film was the last great adventure/swashbuckling film

AlexFlame116

Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Davy Jones's design is masterful and his theme is probably one of the most epic pieces of work I've heard.

But I also really really like Salazar's design! Everything about how he looks really sells it for me.

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
I just started watching On Stranger Tides for the first time since it came out and the most striking thing about it thus far(besides how sorely missed Verbinski already is) is just how wrong Jack Sparrow looks.

He looks like someone dressed as Jack, his little 'x' scar looks like it was drawn with a red marker half the time, his hair is oddly poofy, and he is no longer dirty, just tanned.

It is very weird.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
I just started watching On Stranger Tides for the first time since it came out and the most striking thing about it thus far(besides how sorely missed Verbinski already is) is just how wrong Jack Sparrow looks.

He looks like someone dressed as Jack, his little 'x' scar looks like it was drawn with a red marker half the time, his hair is oddly poofy, and he is no longer dirty, just tanned.

It is very weird.
The most expensive movie ever produced.

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Which I still don't understand. The film looks cheaper than the other 3 that came before it.

What did they spend that money on?
Shooting on water is STUPID expensive, and OST has a lot of it. They also filmed in 3D and according to Wiki was the first major "exterior" movie to be shot in 3D.

But yes, $410 million before tax rebates. Christ.

Slim Action

Jul 4, 2018
I remember Verbinski getting a lot of heat for how expensive Pirates 2 and 3 were, and then 4 and 5 were just as expensive without him and far shittier.

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
Shooting on water is STUPID expensive, and OST has a lot of it.
Having now finished it, there really wasn't much shooting on water at all. Compared to the previous films almost nothing was shot on actual open waters(just a fleeting few shots of Barbossa's ship traveling), the only real piece of action on water was the mermaid attack but that was a little dinghy in a dark stage/tank. And I'm positive the Queen Anne's Revenge never moved an inch in the entire film, it was clearly attached to the floor of the water tank it was in and never rocked with the motion of the seas, real or simulated.

Positives
  • Solid cast.
  • The 'ships in bottles' thing is cool.
  • The beginning of the mermaid sequence with the mermaid singing makes you think that what follows might be good.

Negatives
  • The mermaid sequence that follows isn't good.
  • The solid cast doesn't get to do much.
  • The action is dreadfully dull.
  • Apparently there was no effort in hiding when they were filming on a soundstage or in a water tank.
  • Everything else.

There is a particular bit where the main theme kicks in when Jack is escaping from being tied to a tree in the jungle, he uses the rope to trip, attack, and tie up the soldiers trying to stop him and it is a callback to the end of Curse of the Black Pearl when Will saves Jack from the gallows. And it is embarrassing.

This film might be one of the best examples around of just what exactly a director brings to the table. It is made with all the same pieces as the previous films but the lack of Gore Verbinski is felt in literally every scene. The tone is off, there is little atmosphere(the Queen Anne's Revenge never stops feeling a set), and the action scenes suffer immensely. Jack's escape from London, his sword fight with Angelica, the first time we see Blackbeard 'command' his ship to entangle the mutineers, the mermaids, the teetering sequence on Ponce de Leon's ship, all of it is lifeless and forgettable because of the new director.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Watched the first three last few weeks and love the series

I want to watch the last two - don’t care if it’s dumbed down or w/e - love media about pirates

Kaswa101

Oct 28, 2017
Just finished reaching the trilogy and I really love it. The second and third films have some unnecessary bloat but it never becomes dull or uninteresting imo. Would love to see a fan edit removing some of the filler though.

First one is a masterclass. And Davy Jones is absolutely fantastic. No idea how they pulled that CG off back then.