• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
ZeroX

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
I think Thawne sincerely likes Nora

He didn't even gloat to Barry, he told him not to hold it against her

That's not saying he doesn't enjoying fucking with Barry, it's a nice perk

Tamanon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It was an interesting choice of words he had. "Don't hold it against the runner", I definitely think more is going on.

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
Cicada is lame and it's so laughable how they hype Cicada up.I don't even see Grace as that much of a threat either.

This show screws over villains

Maximum Spider

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Cleveland, OH
The Nora/Thawne dynamic continues to be the best part of this season.

I said it before but I think The CW deserve a lot of credit for taking a chance with their most popular show and putting a woman of color into the spotlight alongside Barry. Parker has done a great show of fitting right in and successfully carrying a huge chunk of the show's narrative by herself. She's essentially this season's co-protagonist.

That said, I still think that Thawne will become Godspeed in some form.

Piku_Ringo

Oct 28, 2017
Gracicada is fine. Improvement from the OG Cicada. Fuck Orlin.
Q2zPaO6.gif

YOOOO! PUT SOME RESPECT ON THE MAN'S NAME!!! His grave isn't even cold yet.

That explains getting into Thawne's room, but every room was coincidentally closing at the same time? That, or she kept following guards around getting through doors one at a time.. lol Best not to think about it.

I could of sworn as the black armored guard torturing Thawne walked out of the room, Nora Super sped past the guy before the doors locked. Though, I will say I'm suprised he didn't even noticed the streak of lightning zooming past him. But that's classic Flash writing for ya.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada

I've said it before, but this is the reason Thawne is so awesome and the best character on the show.

They've established that he can genuinely care for people, and they've established that he can pretend to care for people as he uses them, and sometimes the two overlap.

Whereas the other characters are all incredibly obvious in their motivations or which course of action they'll take, or written so poorly that their motivations or characterization seem to change from decision to decision (Barry falls in the middle - he predictably choses the worst, dumbest option), Thawne is unpredictable but still consistent. You can see the wheels working in his head and the conflict on his face, and there are a bunch of levels to it. He's also been allowed a fair bit of development, which helps, as well.

Anyway, they should do a Superior Flash season where Thawne tries to prove how he can be a better hero than Barry.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I've said it before, but this is the reason Thawne is so awesome and the best character on the show.

They've established that he can genuinely care for people, and they've established that he can pretend to care for people as he uses them, and sometimes the two overlap.

Whereas the other characters are all incredibly obvious in their motivations or which course of action they'll take, or written so poorly that their motivations or characterization seem to change from decision to decision (Barry falls in the middle - he predictably choses the worst, dumbest option), Thawne is unpredictable but still consistent. You can see the wheels working in his head and the conflict on his face, and there are a bunch of levels to it. He's also been allowed a fair bit of development, which helps, as well.

Anyway, they should do a Superior Flash season where Thawne tries to prove how he can be a better hero than Barry.

I'm legitimately annoyed we never did get to see the "I can be better" Thawne from the comics yet. It's a great route to take the show, rather than yet another Big Bad who just wants to kill the Flash because reasons.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco

Totally agree. Then again, he "cared" about Team Flash before he tried to murder them all in Season 1 so it could end up being a wash.

So far though The Legion of Doom:
Malcolm sacrifices himself to save his daughter
Damien sacrifices himself to save his daughter
Thawne now has a surrogate daughter . . .

There's only one way this ends.

raYne_07

Oct 27, 2017
could of sworn as the black armored guard torturing Thawne walked out of the room, Nora Super sped past the guy before the doors locked. Though, I will say I'm suprised he didn't even noticed the streak of lightning zooming past him. But that's classic Flash writing for ya.
I get that, but I'm saying she super-sped through every single door though? And they happened to be open? From the outside fence to main building door to the no doubt 10+ doors leading to the maximum security wing Thawne was in and then to Thawne? Suuure...

Hell, prisons these days guards have to be buzzed in by other guards. Primary doors have to be locked before secondary doors are opened etc, and there are cameras all over the place. Can't imagine 2049 prison is somehow less secure. Hell, the random tech truck "Godspeed" stole from at the start had a high tech camera that can capture speedsters. Not to mention current time Flash can also be caught on our, in comparison, old ass cameras and everyone can see a speedsters lightning streak & feel the wind rush passed them. High security future Meta-Prison has no tech to detect metas/speedsters?

...but like I said before, best not to think about it. lol

raYne_07

Oct 27, 2017
You guys need to stop disrespecting my boy Ralph.
who.gif

Doesn't sound familiar..

All I can recall from him this season is some admittedly good detective work with Sherloque early on, and after that him being super into Cisco's love life

I guess he's fine, certainly better than last season
That and getting Cicada-rang'd in the back a bunch of times. So, good character usage for the season, I guess..

edit:
Oh, and the helicopter thing where Barry ran up his arm to take out snake-eyeball guy.

Last edited:

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
This show has fallen off a cliff. I absolutely loved seasons 1 and 2. Season 3 and onward has been hot garbage. I haven't even watched any of season 5, but I heard Godspeed was appearing so I thought I'd tune in to watch it. And what happens? Unsurprisingly, they completely wasted the character. Not only is he an artificial speedster, but he went out like a chump to Nora who literally just got her powers. They completely wasted a character that had the potential to be a big bad in future seasons.

Skeeter49

I wish Jim Ryan would eat me
Oct 25, 2017
Totally agree. Then again, he "cared" about Team Flash before he tried to murder them all in Season 1 so it could end up being a wash.

So far though The Legion of Doom:
Malcolm sacrifices himself to save his daughter
Damien sacrifices himself to save his daughter
Thawne now has a surrogate daughter . . .

There's only one way this ends.
Legions of daughters

Thea, Nora and Nora vs. The Legends

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
Godspeed should have gone the route of wanting Barry to be a better hero.
Also, do you think these shows take too many liberties from the source and it's detrimental?

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
This show has fallen off a cliff. I absolutely loved seasons 1 and 2. Season 3 and onward has been hot garbage. I haven't even watched any of season 5, but I heard Godspeed was appearing so I thought I'd tune in to watch it. And what happens? Unsurprisingly, they completely wasted the character. Not only is he an artificial speedster, but he went out like a chump to Nora who literally just got her powers. They completely wasted a character that had the potential to be a big bad in future seasons.
We don't need more speedster big bars.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Godspeed should have gone the route of wanting Barry to be a better hero.
Also, do you think these shows take too many liberties from the source and it's detrimental?

I'm fine with taking liberties. They've taken quite a few liberties with Ralph, and I'm still happy with this incarnation of the character.

The trouble with this show taking liberties is that they seem perfectly content to take "name" characters, or characters that have a lot of potential for future stories, and just kinda.. waste them. For no real benefit.

Why waste the Godspeed costume and character on a throwaway future origin story? Why not throw a leather jacket on some schmo in the future and call them Mongoose or whatever if you're just going to go that route? Especially considering they've just thrown a leather jacket on noted Flash villains like Mirror Master, Shade, Weather Wizard, et al in the present.

I get that they may think fans like the call-outs to the comics, but it doesn't really work when they lose everything the fans liked about that character in the comics, while also burning any future potential to properly use the character.

Piku_Ringo

Oct 28, 2017
I get that, but I'm saying she super-sped through every single door though? And they happened to be open? From the outside fence to main building door to the no doubt 10+ doors leading to the maximum security wing Thawne was in and then to Thawne? Suuure...

Hell, prisons these days guards have to be buzzed in by other guards. Primary doors have to be locked before secondary doors are opened etc, and there are cameras all over the place. Can't imagine 2049 prison is somehow less secure. Hell, the random tech truck "Godspeed" stole from at the start had a high tech camera that can capture speedsters. Not to mention current time Flash can also be caught on our, in comparison, old ass cameras and everyone can see a speedsters lightning streak & feel the wind rush passed them. High security future Meta-Prison has no tech to detect metas/speedsters?

...but like I said before, best not to think about it. lol

But have we seen the full layout, interior of the prison to know for sure there are x amounts of doors leading to where Thawne is? Maybe it's just 2 or 3 doors and they were all opened at the same time?

And GodSpeed wasn't a character, he was a plot device
Don't write Crotchspeed out just yet.

Maybe he'll come back in Season 6 as the main antag

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
I'll take any speedster big bad over the garbage we got in season 4 and whatever the hell this season is supposed to be. Villains make or break shows and RF and Zoom are a major reason why seasons 1 and 2 are the best seasons of this show.
People hate Zoom though and then season 3 gave us Savitar.

Rvaan

Oct 25, 2017
Zoom peaked when he beat Barry clean, paraded the body around the city, then broke Barry's back. That was some savage shit.
Edit: Lotus knows what's up.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I think the show shouldn't even bother with a "big bad". Structuring every season around a single antagonist who is responsible for the thrust of the entire season just isn't working for them, and they're clearly forcing it at this point.

They need to go for Shield-style mini-arcs or Gotham-style "we have some characters and the story progresses off their individual goals and how they play off each other" format next season.

Or heck, go back to the 1990s Flash Show format, with a new villain of the week and that's it. Just make 'em closer to their comic versions than that show did.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
*raises hand

Zoom turned to crap as soon as he revealed his identity, as well as falling for Caitlin

Best moment was his brutal beatdown of Barry, all went downhill ever since that

And that moment alone is better than anything Devoe or Savitar ever did. I can't speak for this season since I haven't watched any of it with the exception of this episode, but I've heard the villain is boring.

Zoom had an intimidating and presence factor that nobody afterwards ever came close to. That alone makes him better.

Xenoboy

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
People keep shitting on S2, when the Zoom reveal was near the end and even then most of the episodes were good. And Zoom's Jitters beatdown was still good. He still did stuff in the story, unlike the villains after.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
People keep shitting on S2, when the Zoom reveal was near the end and even then most of the episodes were good. And Zoom's Jitters beatdown was still good. He still did stuff in the story, unlike the villains after.

QFT

I'd love to see how many people would truthfully pick seasons 3 and 4 over season 2.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Their villain problem is that they nailed it with Thawne, but have apparently felt beholden to that format since then.

Zoom and Savitar started off decent enough, but they were so focused on giving them "shocking" identity reveals that they weren't allowed nearly enough time to develop the characters, and they absolutely didn't stick the landing with the "twists".

Thankfully they dropped the twist gimmick with DeVoe and Cicada, but they had no idea how to write a smart guy or provide any valid reasons why Team Flash couldn't immediately beat Cicada, so the show's just an exercise in treading water where the audience is very aware that Team Flash simply can't beat them yet solely because there are more episodes left.

Cut that cord, Flash Writers!

Or give us a nega-Team Flash, and spend at least 50% of the time on them.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
And that moment alone is better than anything Devoe or Savitar ever did. I can't speak for this season since I haven't watched any of it with the exception of this episode, but I've heard the villain is boring.

Zoom had an intimidating and presence factor that nobody afterwards ever came close to. That alone makes him better.
QFT

I'd love to see how many people would truthfully pick seasons 3 and 4 over season 2.

I don't think anyone here is saying that S2/Zoom is worse than S3-S5 and its antagonists. We're just saying that S2 sucks too. Or at least I am anyways :3

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
I don't think anyone here is saying that S2/Zoom is worse than S3-S5 and its antagonists. We're just saying that S2 sucks too. Or at least I am anyways :3

To each their own. I loved it. It has 6 of my 10 favorite episodes (the other 4 being from season 1) of the series in it. Enter Zoom, Flash Back, The Reverse Flash Returns, King Shark, Welcome to Earth-2 and Escape from Earth-2. Seasons 3 and 4 have none. Overall, season 2 was great IMO.

BLOODED_hands

Oct 25, 2017
Their villain problem is that they nailed it with Thawne, but have apparently felt beholden to that format since then.

Zoom and Savitar started off decent enough, but they were so focused on giving them "shocking" identity reveals that they weren't allowed nearly enough time to develop the characters, and they absolutely didn't stick the landing with the "twists".

Thankfully they dropped the twist gimmick with DeVoe and Cicada, but they had no idea how to write a smart guy or provide any valid reasons why Team Flash couldn't immediately beat Cicada, so the show's just an exercise in treading water where the audience is very aware that Team Flash simply can't beat them yet solely because there are more episodes left.

Cut that cord, Flash Writers!

Or give us a nega-Team Flash, and spend at least 50% of the time on them.

Dude.... Yes. I'm with you.

Maximum Spider

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Cleveland, OH
It's pretty amazing that they went straight into Zoom right after Reverse-Flash. The CW's version of Reverse Flash even takes multiple elements from comic Zoom.

That aside, Zoom has the best costume/character design in the entire Arrowverse. Before his identity was reveled, I genuinely thought he was one of the most intimating forces i'd ever seen on TV. He should've just been some sort of supernatural monster.

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
It's pretty amazing that they went straight into Zoom right after Reverse-Flash. The CW's version of Reverse Flash even takes multiple elements from comic Zoom.

That aside, Zoom has the best costume/character design in the entire Arrowverse. Before his identity was reveled, I genuinely thought he was one of the most intimating forces i'd ever seen on TV. He should've just been some sort of supernatural monster.

Totally agree. They take the mask off Zoom and it's just a screaming endless void underneath.

Status
Not open for further replies.