• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
I...mostly liked that episode? Ramsey's actor is actually pretty decent compared to Chris Klein, though having him go evil pretty much immediately was odd.
I'm also cautiously optimistic. It's the best episode of the series in a long time. Definitely since the Barry/Nora time-travel escapades episode last year. Probably since the Flashtime episode. I don't want to judge anything yet since it's far too early for that, but although there's still plenty of rough edges and random plot contrivances, it does feel like lessons have been learned.

Having an established villain from the first episode is probably because they don't have as much time to faff about with Ramsey's character.

Also, I'm like 90% sure that the Monitor we saw was this universe's Anti-Monitor. We already know LaMonica is playing both characters and every glimpse of regular Monitor we've seen so far has been passive, not outright malicious like this.
Maybe, but messing around with video files seems a bit below the Anti-Monitor.

Maybe the Monitor needs Barry to believe that he is going to die (so that he 100% commits to doing what he needs to do during the Crisis, without being held back by hope), but really Barry's going to survive? To make sure Barry never knows that, the Monitor needs to destroy Barry's convenient plot device.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe the Monitor needs Barry to believe that he is going to die (so that he 100% commits to doing what he needs to do during the Crisis, without being held back by hope), but really Barry's going to survive? To make sure Barry never knows that, the Monitor needs to destroy Barry's convenient plot device.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's possible that the Monitor knows how high the body count is going to be and is trying to make sure that Team Flash will be aware of the human cost of Crisis, and he's doing that by making them think Barry is going to die even though Oliver basically already traded his life for Barry's.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
is Chunk the new monitor guy?

They said they need to keep him around for a couple months or whatever, so the assumption is that he'll be helping them out/joining the team.

Of course, if Melting Point is any indication, we could just not see him until ten episodes from now, and when he does turn up he's a random corpse in a hallway.

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
They said they need to keep him around for a couple months or whatever, so the assumption is that he'll be helping them out/joining the team.

Of course, if Melting Point is any indication, we could just not see him until ten episodes from now, and when he does turn up he's a random corpse in a hallway.
Or he could end up like that tuner dude and just never pop up again.

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
Are the other, non-Flash shows promoting Crisis on Infinite Earths? Because the Black Lightning promos are just pretending like shit's not about to pop off.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Are the other, non-Flash shows promoting Crisis on Infinite Earths? Because the Black Lightning promos are just pretending like shit's not about to pop off.

Black Lightning and friends just trying to pretend for a little while longer that they don't have to go and help clean up everybody's else mess

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
Black Lightning and friends just trying to pretend for a little while longer that they don't have to go and help clean up everybody's else mess
Honestly, I was just thinking about that. Like, if all the shows merge into one universe, Barry and friends at Star Labs are gonna constantly be creating problems for Freeland.

Also, how watered down do we think Black Lightning will be when he pops up on someone else's show? So far, BL has been real as hell. The tonal shift from BL to Flash is enough to cause whiplash.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
The pre-Crisis episodes of the final season of Arrow seem to be Crisis: The Build-Up.

So at least Flash and Arrow are heavily leaning into Crisis before it happens. Supergirl will probably build a bit more slowly. Batwoman needs time just to catch up to the present since the first episode of that was pre-Elseworlds. Legends won't be back before Crisis.

As you say, right now Black Lightning hasn't ever even hinted at Crisis, but I don't mind the idea of there being one show where Crisis just happens out of nowhere. That really should be the experience of most of the universes involved in Crisis anyway.

Honestly, I was just thinking about that. Like, if all the shows merge into one universe, Barry and friends at Star Labs are gonna constantly be creating problems for Freeland.
Yeah, dealing with problems created by Barry is pretty much the default experience for heroes on his Earth. At least they'll never be stuck for something to do.

Also, how watered down do we think Black Lightning will be when he pops up on someone else's show? So far, BL has been real as hell. The tonal shift from BL to Flash is enough to cause whiplash.
This is true, but I don't think it's all that far off the tonal variations that already exist within the Arrowverse. Like last year when Arrow was doing a grounded prison drama while the Legends were ghostbusting unicorns and witches. Or a few seasons ago when Felicity accidentally nuked a city.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
That said, it wasn't accidental, she had to change the nuke's target to somewhere less populated.
I think I may have subconsciously chosen to remember that as her randomly redirecting the missile and the random coordinates happening to be another city, because I prefer that explanation to what actually happened.

Deleted member 56065

User-requested account closure
Apr 18, 2019
I think I may have subconsciously chosen to remember that as her randomly redirecting the missile and the random coordinates happening to be another city, because I prefer that explanation to what actually happened.
Let's not forget the time that she got up from a wheelchair and just went #nope on Oliver and ran away.

SixtyFourBlades

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
Let's not forget the time that she got up from a wheelchair and just went #nope on Oliver and ran away.
They framed as some sort of liberating moment for her. As if to say Oliver was her wheelchair. Wtf?

Arrow fell off the cliff hard for me once Olicity became a thing. And this is coming from someone that shipped them in the first 2 seasons (which were excellent). What a terrible opinion I had...

Deleted member 56065

User-requested account closure
Apr 18, 2019
They framed as some sort of liberating moment for her. As if to say Oliver was her wheelchair. Wtf?

Arrow fell off the cliff hard for me once Olicity became a thing. And this is coming from someone that shipped them in the first 2 seasons (which were excellent). What a terrible opinion I had...
Yeah, it never made much sense (just like the nuke), mostly because she came back to him; thank god for season 5 to put things sorta back on track.

But the Flash is in a special place after last season, a place i can't even begin to describe.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
I wonder if the writers are self-aware, but the season directly started of with what happened in all seasons:

-Team Flash is allowed to use dark matter for everything, including reverting a meta human status, so people can live a normal life.
-Someone literally cured cancer, but he isnt allowed to use it, because "it could be dangerous"...

That guy even said it out loud....

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if the writers are self-aware, but the season directly started of with what happened in all seasons:

-Team Flash is allowed to use dark matter for everything, including reverting a meta human status, so people can live a normal life.
-Someone literally cured cancer, but he isnt allowed to use it, because "it could be dangerous"...

That guy even said it out loud....
Drama

And excuse to push mohinder to experiment himself because Caitlyn would have stopped him

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I just realized that they have 4 super science satlites to cover a medium size midwest city.

Oct 25, 2017
So I'm glad to see The Flash is taking a plot point from the best Spider-Man movie, and instead of assisting an obviously desperate individual, flatly refuse them, and put the situation out of mind.

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
there's no good reason they couldn't have helped the dude with dark matter

bring him into star labs and carefully do some trials, why is this a huge fucking deal?

they do more dangerous shit with science literally every other week

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
there's no good reason they couldn't have helped the dude with dark matter

bring him into star labs and carefully do some trials, why is this a huge fucking deal?

they do more dangerous shit with science literally every other week

I dunno they might have been worried about his trials turning someone into a supervillain mutant or something.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Preposterous, as if getting super powers would automatically turn people into villains!

Flash writers:

source.gif

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Finally got round to watching and as someone who has thought about dropping the show a few time the last few seasons, I actually really enjoyed this episode.

Flash always has the ability to pull off the odd great episode, even among trash seasons so it could all go down hill but they are off to a good start which is all you can ask for.