• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
About six million to seven million people in the United States have come down with the illness so far, with half of them sick enough to have seen doctors, according to estimates released on Friday by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Some 69,000 to 84,000 ended up in the hospital during the period from Oct. 1, 2018 through Jan. 5.

"Flu activity is widespread in many states," Dr. Alicia Fry, from the C.D.C.'s influenza division, said in an interview. "We expect several more weeks of flu season."

https://nyti.ms/2RHlEvN

The CDC says the most common peak-month is February. Although some times it doesn't peak until May.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/season/flu-season.htm

The CDC is also updating their flu surveillance every week: https://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/index.htm

The total number of deaths and mortality rate likely won't be known until all counties report in - so next December or so.

Get your flu shot if you are not prevented by your physical health.

Last edited:

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
Also sounds like this year's shot has a particularly high effectiveness against the active flu variants.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
interesting, have any data or anything you can provide?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/steven...ell-theres-still-time-to-get-it/#7e00aff91bed

It's a Forbes Contributor but if his facts are right it makes sense.

Back to the good news again: the vaccine this year contains just the right strains! This doesn't always happen; actually it happens much less frequently than anyone would like. But now that the flu season is under way, the CDC can test the circulating flu viruses and compare them to the strains that are targeted by this year's vaccine. This year, both the H1N1 and the H3N2 viruses match the vaccine strains really well, which means that if you got the shot, you are likely to be very well protected.

Zeroro

Oct 27, 2017
Got my flu shot a few weeks ago. The strain going around in late 2017 was a monster and affected most of my family. Hopefully I'm better prepared for it this time around.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
https://www.forbes.com/sites/steven...ell-theres-still-time-to-get-it/#7e00aff91bed

It's a Forbes Contributor but if his facts are right it makes sense.

Back to the good news again: the vaccine this year contains just the right strains! This doesn't always happen; actually it happens much less frequently than anyone would like. But now that the flu season is under way, the CDC can test the circulating flu viruses and compare them to the strains that are targeted by this year's vaccine. This year, both the H1N1 and the H3N2 viruses match the vaccine strains really well, which means that if you got the shot, you are likely to be very well protected.
Thanks to you both, I need to share this with a few hold outs!

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
I got the flu right now and I got vaccinated. I'm glad, too. It ain't hitting me as hard as it would've if I didn't get the vaccine.

Deleted member 6263

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Got my flu shot and still ended up getting the flu, type B. Because I got the shot, however, my symptoms were wayyyyy less of a problem than if I hadn't received the vaccine.

admiraltaftbar

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 9, 2017
I got the flu right now and I got vaccinated. I'm glad, too. It ain't hitting me as hard as it would've if I didn't get the vaccine.
Got my flu shot and still ended up getting the flu, type B. Because I got the shot, however, my symptoms were wayyyyy less of a problem than if I hadn't received the vaccine.
My brother had this happened. Got the shot but still got sick. He basically was out one day from work then was able to work another day from home and then the weekend hit and he was symptom free by Saturday evening and feeling perfect by Sunday. I feel like that could have been a whole lot worse had he not gotten his flu shot.

bonch00ski

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Please give me the flu so that way I can hopefully lose weight without much effort, maybe I'll even die in the process.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
Good news that it's effective - my kids and I got the shot early on.

Though as if to rub my face in it, shortly after I got my shot I picked up gastroenteritis. "Here, have something you didn't get vaccinated for."

Ukraine

Banned
Jun 1, 2018
The whole system is fucked up though. I tried getting vaccines like 5 times and all the stores are either out or don't accept the insurance. And my doctor just told me to take vaccine at the store. It's a closed circle.

CorpseLight

Nov 3, 2018
I have a 2 year old son and I have been arguing with my wife about getting him a flu shot this year. We got him one last year and he had some mild side effects to the shot, which makes her say hes better off without it. Her reasoning is she has never had the flu and never had a flu shot, I also have never had a flu shot but have had the flu a couple times when i was younger. She seems to think its completely unnecessary and will just make him sick, and he can get the flu anyway. I really cant understand why she wont at least just get him the shot. I make the seatbelt analogy to her and she just doesnt understand it.

Oct 28, 2017
Good luck if you get the flu then.

Been on this earth 37 years, have yet to get the flu. I'm single, no kids, don't work with kids, don't work with vulnerable populations, don't take mass transit. Flu shot isn't recommended for healthy people at my age in many other parts of the Western world EXCEPT for the US. Why is the US different?

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017

tumblr_n7u4kqHnpI1s4rha3o2_500.gif

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
I have a 2 year old son and I have been arguing with my wife about getting him a flu shot this year. We got him one last year and he had some mild side effects to the shot, which makes her say hes better off without it. Her reasoning is she has never had the flu and never had a flu shot, I also have never had a flu shot but have had the flu a couple times when i was younger. She seems to think its completely unnecessary and will just make him sick, and he can get the flu anyway. I really cant understand why she wont at least just get him the shot. I make the seatbelt analogy to her and she just doesnt understand it.

A 3-year-old near our town just died of the flu.

Deleted member 4367

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Been on this earth 37 years, have yet to get the flu. I'm single, no kids, don't work with kids, don't work with vulnerable populations, don't take mass transit. Flu shot isn't recommended for healthy people at my age in many other parts of the Western world EXCEPT for the US. Why is the US different?
Big pharma conspiracy!

Must be!

FeliciaFelix

Oct 27, 2017
Like others here, got the shot in October but then a lesser version of the flu in December. So I'll take the w and move on.

Oct 28, 2017
https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/disease/high_risk.htm

He's in a high risk group, so I'd consider getting him vaccinated.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Big pharma conspiracy!

Must be!

Lol yeah. It especially gets me when antivaxxers are not up in arms about insulin, inhalers, and eppy pens costing thousands.

I will say kudos to doctors and nurses for being so humble. I'll mock antivaxxers as dumbasses and ask for all of the immunizations, and they usually just barely smirk in silent approval.

stupei

Oct 26, 2017
This is kind of like putting on a giant flashing badge that says "I'm really stupid and proud of it. Never listen to anything I have to say about anything."

Don't forget selfish.

Maybe read up on herd immunity. People who are healthy are the ones who most need to get the shot since they would be resistant to any side effects and this would prevent them from being unknowing carriers who infect those with weaker immune systems.

A healthy person not getting the flu shot is behaving selfishly.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i got the flu shot in october and still got a pretty severe case of flu for 3 weeks. insane congestion.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I am just getting over it, it was so bad I thought BronsonLee was finally making his move against me

stupei

Oct 26, 2017

Because someone you come in contact with as a carrier might have a weaker immune system than you just described yourself as having and could die.

Why not get it if you're so healthy? It takes seconds and makes the world a better place while having zero negative impact on your life.

My immune system is honestly pretty shitty and the worst I've ever had from the shot is a sniffle the next day.

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I love the map with the slider that the CDC provides, because when Ohio is brown, I stay the fuck inside.

No but seriously, get your shots everyone. Sometimes it's even free!

Oct 28, 2017
Don't forget selfish.

Maybe read up on herd immunity. People who are healthy are the ones who most need to get the shot since they would be resistant to any side effects and this would prevent them from being unknowing carriers who infect those with weaker immune systems.

A healthy person not getting the flu shot is behaving selfishly.

Like I said, if I was working with vulnerable populations, lived with or worked with kids, lived with or worked with the sick or the elderly then the flu shot would be a higher priority for me, but I don't so I'm gonna keep living like I always have. No one has ever gotten the flu from me.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
Good Lord. This is a nuclear marriage risking option.
Personally I care more about my child living than my wifes feelings for a couple days.

Edit: To expand, most schools require a flu shot for kids so are you really going to be one of those religious exemption families. This is going to come to a head sooner or later. You have to advocate for your baby if no one else will.

OP
OP
WedgeX

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't turn out true for us lol. We all got shots in October and all got the flu just last week. But we get shots every year and this is the first time we've had the flu in years.

But seriously, the flu sucks. Go get a shot.
My brother had this happened. Got the shot but still got sick. He basically was out one day from work then was able to work another day from home and then the weekend hit and he was symptom free by Saturday evening and feeling perfect by Sunday. I feel like that could have been a whole lot worse had he not gotten his flu shot.

The last time I got the flu - 2009 - I did not get the vaccine. It fully knocked me on my butt, high fever and intense chills, fever dreams, maaaaybe should have gone to the hospital, lasted for at least a week.

I'm really glad the vaccine helped shorten the timeframe and lessen the symptoms for all of you.

stupei

Oct 26, 2017
Like I said, if I was working with vulnerable populations, lived with or worked with kids, lived with or worked with the sick or the elderly then the flu shot would be a higher priority for me, but I don't so I'm gonna keep living like I always have. No one has ever gotten the flu from me.

Unless you never leave the house, you honestly have no way of knowing which people you come in contact might have contracted the disease from you.

But, yes, it is less selfish than people who for example ride the subway every day without getting the shot. Those people are assholes.

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
my body feels really achy right now. i hope i'm not coming down with the flu. last time it felt similar i got the flu.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
I got the flu shot and still got nailed. Was down 2 weeks. Hit me like a ton of bricks and a few others too.

Eh I'll still get another next year. Maybe it could have been worse if I passed on it.

Fantastical

Oct 27, 2017
My company has a flu shot day so I always do it in early November. I've encountered some people with the flu... no thank you.