• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
People need to get their vaccines.

Also, yearly reminder that the flu shot is for influenza and not the stomach bug.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
I have a 2 year old son and I have been arguing with my wife about getting him a flu shot this year. We got him one last year and he had some mild side effects to the shot, which makes her say hes better off without it. Her reasoning is she has never had the flu and never had a flu shot, I also have never had a flu shot but have had the flu a couple times when i was younger. She seems to think its completely unnecessary and will just make him sick, and he can get the flu anyway. I really cant understand why she wont at least just get him the shot. I make the seatbelt analogy to her and she just doesnt understand it.
get him the shot. Holy shit. like if he gets the flu you might end up in the hospital.

I never got the flu shot and never had the flu either, until i got it one year.

Good Lord. This is a nuclear marriage risking option.
right like she wont notice the band aid or potential bruising or the prick mark.

CorpseLight

Nov 3, 2018
Personally I care more about my child living than my wifes feelings for a couple days

We have already had huge fights and shouting arguments about getting it. Her excuse is if he gets the flu shot it doesnt mean he wont get the flu anyway, and if he has the flu we are going to the hospital regardless. I try to explain that if he gets the shot and still gets sick, then maybe it wouldnt of been so bad, but she seems to think its pointless. Theres really no getting thru to her.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
We have already had huge fights and shouting arguments about getting it. Her excuse is if he gets the flu shot it doesnt mean he wont get the flu anyway, and if he has the flu we are going to the hospital regardless. I try to explain that if he gets the shot and still gets sick, then maybe it wouldnt of been so bad, but she seems to think its pointless. Theres really no getting thru to her.
Those are some big red flags my man. Best of luck to you and more importantly your little boy.
right like she wont notice the band aid or potential bruising or the prick mark.
Kids hurt themselves all the time especially little boys. A little red dot on a 2 year old isn't going to be noticed but w/e he can make his own decisions.

Fancy Clown

Oct 25, 2017
I got the shot but I came down withehat I think was the flu on Christmas and for two days I had intense chills. I was right next to the fireplace for hours under blankets and he multiple sweaters on and I was still freezing. It's been a couple weeks since then and I've had a bad cough and a head full of snot since. I'm a really healthy guy though and I keep good sleep, cleanliness, and exercise habits. I shudder to think how bad it would have been had I not gotten the shot.

empanada

Oct 28, 2017
I got the flu shot and still got nailed. Was down 2 weeks. Hit me like a ton of bricks and a few others too.

Eh I'll still get another next year. Maybe it could have been worse if I passed on it.
Same here. I got the flu shot back in Nov and still got sick with the flu all week last week... I guess I'm one of the unlucky ones.

ccbfan

Oct 25, 2017
I understand your wife's feeling especially when the flu shots unlike other vaccines are generally so hit or miss. I think I know more people with flus that get the flu shot than people that don't. (There never seems to be study of flu rates among the vaccinated and the unvaccinated)

My 18 month old son also had a bad reaction to a flu shot. Got a 104 fever right after the flu shot which went up and down (down because we gave him motrin) for a few days and ended up bringing him to the emergency room. This was his first 101+ fever, took over a week to fully recover.

CorpseLight

Nov 3, 2018
I understand your wife's feeling especially when the flu shots unlike other vaccines are generally so hit or miss. I think I know more people with flus that get the flu shot than people that don't. (There never seems to be study of flu rates among the vaccinated and the unvaccinated)

My 18 month old son also had a bad reaction to a flu shot. Got a 104 fever right after the flu shot which went up and down (down because we gave him motrin) for a few days and ended up bringing him to the emergency room. This was his first 101+ fever, took over a week to fully recover.

Damn, that is indeed scary. I'm glad he ended up alright. Our son last year after the shot had some mild vomiting ( which may not have even been from the shot) and also has an egg allergy which she is worried about since the vaccine is cultured in chicken eggs.

joecanada

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Uh I'm pretty sure she left out the most important part of the argument... that he may never get the flu ? Wtf ?
Hospitals have dozens of death every year from flu going to the fucking hospital isn't a magic insurance

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've had the flu both with and without having the vaccine over the last few years. You're pretty insane not to want to get the jab.

TickleMeElbow

Oct 31, 2017
I got my flu shot, but now I'm disappointed that Ohio is at the very lowest activity level lol.

Kinda wanted the flu shot to kick some flu ass.

kinda jk

Kentucky is in the red zone though.

Zelda

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I had the flu a couple weeks ago. Should I still get the shot, or am I basically self vaccinated now?

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
Those are some big red flags my man. Best of luck to you and more importantly your little boy.

Kids hurt themselves all the time especially little boys. A little red dot on a 2 year old isn't going to be noticed but w/e he can make his own decisions.

Oh My God Era, what are yall doing.... just step back a bit....just step back a bit.

OP
OP
WedgeX

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
I had the flu a couple weeks ago. Should I still get the shot, or am I basically self vaccinated now?

Consumer Reports is the only source I've seen so far, and the doctor/professor they cite says...maybe? You can get a different strain than the one you already had.

There are good reasons to get a flu shot, even if you've already been sick, says David Topham, Ph.D., professor of microbiology and immunology at the University of Rochester and director of the New York Influenza Center of Excellence.

You can catch the flu more than once in a season—because having one "type" of flu doesn't provide immunity against the other types that may be circulating.

Getting the flu a second time can make you just as miserable as it did the first time around, says Marvin M. Lipman, M.D., Consumer Reports' chief medical adviser.

"And the potential for complications with the second infection is just as great as it was with the first," Lipman says.

Those complications can be serious, such as pneumonia and even sepsis, a potentially deadly reaction your body can have to infection.

https://www.consumerreports.org/flu/should-you-get-a-flu-shot-after-the-flu/

They're not a medical journal or the CDC, though.

Wein Cruz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Been on this earth 37 years, have yet to get the flu. I'm single, no kids, don't work with kids, don't work with vulnerable populations, don't take mass transit. Flu shot isn't recommended for healthy people at my age in many other parts of the Western world EXCEPT for the US. Why is the US different?

Hopefully you get the flu. Some people gotta suffer before they learn.

Dreavus

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Jan 12, 2018
Glad I got the shot back in December. I felt like I was getting it really "late" but I didn't realize the peak was yet to come.

It's important to strengthen everyone's immunity even if it probably wouldn't be too bad if I personally got the flu.

farmland

Oct 30, 2017
Thankfully I'm eligible for free flu shots in my country do I get it every year. But seriously, get your shots. Not everyone is low risk or can get vaccinated. Contribute to herd immunity.

LosDaddie

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Longwood, FL
Yup. I always get the flu shot, and make my kids watch.

My wife never gets the shot, and guess who got the flu over the Christmas break? 🤣

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
I got one in August and got the flu in mid-October. I'm glad because what ended up being an off-and-on fever for about a week probably would have put my ass in the hospital without the vaccine. I was spiking 104° during the worst of it.

onyx

Dec 25, 2017
Got mine back in November, but the cold hit me hard last month. We really need a cold vaccine.

Oct 25, 2017
USA, Sol 3, Universe 1
If you can do it, it's your body and your choice and I respect that. That being said, I'll hope you choose to take it not just for yourself, but for people like me who depend on herd immunity.

It's not too late to take the shot.

Mechanized

Oct 27, 2017
I'm in Canada but I'm still getting over the worst flu I've had in my life at the age of 36. Almost a month now.

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, got it.

I ain't going to be some little bitch getting someone else infected because of my dumbass and not doing it. Most of my family got it for good measure.

Tezz

Oct 27, 2017
Hey guys, I got my flu shot. I don't even have insurance, but I believe $20 is worth it because I'm not an asshole and want to protect the vulnerable members of society.

Megawarrior

Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys, I got my flu shot. I don't even have insurance, but I believe $20 is worth it because I'm not an asshole and want to protect the vulnerable members of society.
Just want to say there is a coupon that makes the flu shot price go down to as low as 20$ if your insurance doesnt pay for it for whatever reason.

SkyOdin

Apr 21, 2018
I got my flu shot back in the fall. No good reason not to get it. So far, I'm perfectly healthy.

Book One

Oct 25, 2017
I had never had the flu shot - nor the flu- for almost all of my 40 years.

I wasn't 'against' it - just never really thought much about it.

Then I got it. And it was fucking horrible. My whole family caught it. But my wife and kids, who had flu shots, recovered in days. I was down almost two weeks.

Never again. I will always get the shot when they do. I don't care if it's only '5%' effective on that years strain...if there's even a 5% chance I don't go through that again, I'll take it.

joecanada

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
I had never had the flu shot - nor the flu- for almost all of my 40 years.

I wasn't 'against' it - just never really thought much about it.

Then I got it. And it was fucking horrible. My whole family caught it. But my wife and kids, who had flu shots, recovered in days. I was down almost two weeks.

Never again. I will always get the shot when they do. I don't care if it's only '5%' effective on that years strain...if there's even a 5% chance I don't go through that again, I'll take it.
This is pretty common . My dad is never sick then last year for the flu bad. He's 80 . Could have been his first and last . And if you're thinking oh he's old though, he has sisters who vacation at age 90. He ain't frail at all will easily make 90-95

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
I've been lucky. I haven't had the flu in a long time. Also haven't had the flu shot in quite a while, since I work from home and wasn't going out much. Maybe I'll get it soon.

It's probably been a good decade or more since I've gotten the shot, and I can't remember puking or having the flu in that time. I'm waiting for that to change.

Last edited:

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
Im sick right now and honestly its worth it for the day I got off work
that said it isnt the flu, probably haven't had the flu for a decade.
might get the shot at some point

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
We had a flu shot thread a few months back. I'm still hold the view that unless I plan to be around kids/get into elder care I just skip it.

More power to the people that get every year though.

_Karooo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I fell sick this December with wbc count reaching 12000. It was very painful and had to take antibiotics because it wasn't going away.

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia

Glad your son was okay, and I'm sorry he got sick, but that reaction wasn't caused by the shot. The shot contains dead virus. When people get flu or flu-like symptoms right after getting the shot, it just means they were already sick.

There is no risk at all of getting sick from a vaccination.

Jul 26, 2018
I find it shocking because i'm working with tons of sick coworkers atm and I still haven't gotten sick so far... haven't had a vaccine for over a year too :/

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
I got flu TWICE last year (once early in the season, and then again late in it). I got my flu shot early this year and was thankfully flu free. Still managed to get a nasty cold though.

Maximum Spider

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Cleveland, OH
got my shot pretty early. it's real important that everyone get one; there are plenty of people who have weakened immune systems that can't afford to get sick with the flu. i'm not just talking about the elderly or children, there are plenty of healthy looking adults and young people with week immune systems.

this week I got a cold, though. first time i've been "sick" in like 4-5 years. nothing too bad but very dry throat and a nose so stuffed up I could only breath through my mouth. my voice sounds cool, though. kinda got a Solider 76 / Solid Snake thing going on.

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
If you haven't gotten it yet, but are planning to, I'd advise sooner rather than later. It can take up to 2 weeks to kick in.