• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

psynergyadept

Oct 26, 2017
Fucking everybody came to work coughing and shit!!! One person told me her daughter had the flu(while coughing herself) and One person looked like he was about to die...only a matter of time before it fucking hits me!!!

Just fucking stay home if you're sick!!!

Kadey

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Southeastern PA
Half of the people at work are sick. These same types don't think they need health insurance and to do at least yearly checkups though. I try to get it every year. I missed like one or two in the last ten years. And the flu has been really bad the last two. It's really needed.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
I caught that strain back when the media drummed it up so dramatically it was declared a pandemic.

Honestly wouldn't wish that on anyone. I almost died. One of the few times I think the fear mongering was valid, because it caused everyone to take the spread of the virus very seriously, and in spite of my vaccination, I contracted it.

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017
My daughter's preschool just closed for the week because of the flu. 30% of kids have confirmed cases apparently.

Everyone in my family has been vaccinated this year, so hopefully we're in the clear.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's being three years in a row that I got a shot provided by my job and got sick anyways, I guess I'm just extremely unlucky and always cross path with a different strain of the virus.

Perhaps next year I'll skip it, I'm all but an anti-vaxxer though, my eventual kid will have all the plethoras of needed shots of course, to me it's more an isolated issue with flu shots. :lol

Rampage

Oct 27, 2017
Metro Detriot
Got mine. Wish they would come up with one for the Cold too. That was really bad this year- it took a full month to clear out my sinuses.

Oddly can't wait to turn 50 so I can start getting the pneumonia one too. lol. Had pneumonia once- was in the hospital for a week. Had the very large needle go into my back to drain liquid off my left lung.

Izayoi

Oct 25, 2017
Come on, man... Working in healthcare has really opened my eyes to how important getting vaccinated is (I was vaccinated before I started too, don't worry), even when it comes to the flu.

We have seen patients who died from the flu, especially in gero and oncology units. It's no fucking joke.

If not just for you, you could save someone's life by getting vaccinated.

Edward

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
I already got mine. It's bad here, so bad that every school here closed down for almost a week. There's no reason to not get a shot unless you literally can't.

Izayoi

Oct 25, 2017
Got mine. Wish they would come up with one for the Cold too. That was really bad this year- it took a full month to clear out my sinuses.

Oddly can't wait to turn 50 so I can start getting the pneumonia one too. lol. Had pneumonia once- was in the hospital for a week. Had the very large needle go into my back to drain liquid off my left lung.
I have asthma so I get the pneumonacaul vaccine as well. Has helped me a lot.

OP
OP
WedgeX

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
My daughter's preschool just closed for the week because of the flu. 30% of kids have confirmed cases apparently.

Everyone in my family has been vaccinated this year, so hopefully we're in the clear.

Wow that's a lot of kids. I vaguely remember this happening to my school when I was in elementary.

It's being three years in a row that I got a shot provided by my job and got sick anyways, I guess I'm just extremely unlucky and always cross path with a different strain of the virus.

Perhaps next year I'll skip it, I'm all but an anti-vaxxer though, my eventual kid will have all the plethoras of needed shots of course, to me it's more an isolated issue with flu shots. :lol

I think the CDC reports that even getting the vaccine lowers the severity of symptoms for actually getting the flu. So you might've saved yourself from some even worse symptoms?

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Like I said, if I was working with vulnerable populations, lived with or worked with kids, lived with or worked with the sick or the elderly then the flu shot would be a higher priority for me, but I don't so I'm gonna keep living like I always have. No one has ever gotten the flu from me.
That you know of.

Unless you just don't leave your house for the duration of flu season (which I highly doubt), you have the potential to get someone else sick.

Chasex

Oct 29, 2017
The fact that so many can get the vaccine yet still end up getting sick is a big problem with public perception and cynicism. Our other vaccines are just so much more effective we've been inculcated into thinking a "vaccine" is something totally different from what the technical definition is. I'm just thinking out loud here but maybe the whole thing needs a rebranding of some sort.

Deleted member 5359

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I never bothered with a flu shot until this season. Last year I got hit with the flu and it nearly put me into the hospital. In fact, I should have been hospitalized if not for my own procrastination and stubbornness. People who were young and healthy were being killed by last year's flu, I presume this year is no different. Don't play games, get vaccinated.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
This year half of us got the vaccine (my wife and youngest weren't with me and my oldest when we got ours).

We all got flu, wife and youngest got hit first and got hit harder. Took nearly twice as long for the youngest to be well enough for school.

real2

Jan 31, 2019
Anybody know where to get the flu shot cheap in California ?

I'm hoping you already have gotten it, so this is mostly for people who are in a similar situation. From what I remember, my parents don't have insurance so they got their flu shots at Costco for ~$16-18 each. CVS/Walgreens were charging ~$25.00 or so. It's not much of a savings, but it's better than nothing. You don't have to be a Costco member to use their pharmacy.

Izayoi

Oct 25, 2017
This year half of us got the vaccine (my wife and youngest weren't with me and my oldest when we got ours).

We all got flu, wife and youngest got hit first and got hit harder. Took nearly twice as long for the youngest to be well enough for school.
Perfect illustration of how it works... It can significantly reduce duration and severity, even if you do end up with it.

No reason to not get it, it's free with insurance and usually just a few bucks without.

Deleted member 33887

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
The flu has been super mild where I have been so far. Only 1/7th as many lab confirmed cases as last year, and I haven't seen or heard about anyone sick this year. Meanwhile, I was nearly dying right around this time last year. Hoping it keeps up.

Blindy

Nov 16, 2017
I get my flu shot every single year, especially when I am on public transportation in crowded subways for 10 hours a week. Got it September. Like to get them early and during a Friday, particularly if I have additional days off to recover if I ever get a reaction from the shot.

Deleted member 4413

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have a 2 year old son and I have been arguing with my wife about getting him a flu shot this year. We got him one last year and he had some mild side effects to the shot, which makes her say hes better off without it. Her reasoning is she has never had the flu and never had a flu shot, I also have never had a flu shot but have had the flu a couple times when i was younger. She seems to think its completely unnecessary and will just make him sick, and he can get the flu anyway. I really cant understand why she wont at least just get him the shot. I make the seatbelt analogy to her and she just doesnt understand it.

Show her the stats of how many children died last year from the flu. If that doesn't scare her straight, take him to get a flu shot anyways and don't tell her.

Broken Hope

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Flu shot is only recommended for old people or pregnant or otherwise at risk groups in the UK, it's not a blanket vaccine given out to everyone.

UF_C

Oct 25, 2017
Both my kids got the shot and both came down with the flu on Sunday. 1st night was pretty bad bad but was prescribed Tamilflu. Both kids seem to have kicked most of it today. Pretty crazy that a fever can last this long.

Oct 29, 2017
Minnesota
Got a flu shot two or so years ago and got extremely sick. Missed like three days of work. Never again.

And like I get that I probably got a different strain than what the shot was for, because a shot shouldn't have made me that sick, but I still won't do it again. Probably picked up some variant while at the hospital. That place is where sick people go, dontcha know!

Chan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was exposed to a guy with human metapneumnovirus a form of bird flu I think? Pray for me.

Casualcore

Jul 25, 2018
I missed it this year. I had a lingering cold as soon as the cold weather hit and seemed to only remember when I wasn't really up for it. My hermit lifestyle and strict avoidance of anyone shorter than me has kept me safe this year, but I know it's not over yet. I'll try to get it earlier next year before I get the four-month sniffles.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I got a flu shot. Maybe got the flu last week. Had fever and aches and sweats, but really sore throat too. Doc gave me antibiotics for Strep - which I said I didn't want because antibiotics are bad - but apprently it has NO effect on your strep symptoms, but the point is to make you non contagious to others while you suffer through it.

Chan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I got a flu shot. Maybe got the flu last week. Had fever and aches and sweats, but really sore throat too. Doc gave me antibiotics for Strep - which I said I didn't want because antibiotics are bad - but apprently it has NO effect on your strep symptoms, but the point is to make you non contagious to others while you suffer through it.

You know they can test you for strep right?

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You know they can test you for strep right?

Yeah. They swabbed me decks. I was simply remarking on the reason they prescribe antibiotics for strep - which until this week I assumed was for the patient and their symptoms not the patient's relative contagiousness.

The story I always hear from our doctor friend is that adult babies (me) come in when they have a runny nose and demand antibiotics. I never realized there was actually a legitimate reason to prescribe them (during the season, not for the flu itself).

Anyway I sent an angry letter to Goop letting them know about how dangerous these untested so-called drugs are and I expect Gwyneth to call me soon.

Chan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. They swabbed me decks. I was simply remarking on the reason they prescribe antibiotics for strep - which until this week I assumed was for the patient and their symptoms not the patient's relative contagiousness.

The story I always hear from our doctor friend is that adult babies (me) come in when they have a runny nose and demand antibiotics. I never realized there was actually a legitimate reason to prescribe them (during the season, not for the flu itself).

Anyway I sent an angry letter to Goop letting them know about how dangerous these untested so-called drugs are and I expect Gwyneth to call me soon.

The course of treatment for strep is antibiotics. Usually penicillin. Just finish the treatment and you'll be fine. It's the idiots that stop treatment when they start to feel better that fuck it up for society.