• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tachya

Oct 25, 2017
I think that a properly new mode that is integrated into comp (so not like DM and CTF banished to Arcade) might have the capability of changing things up, along with ironing out some issues with ability bloat of newer heroes and the balance issues that comes with.

Is there a reason a CTF mode was banished to arcade?

Also a permanent game mode like Invasion from Halo Reach would be amazing. Only game that really did something like that decently, and they didn't expand on it much ever. Some of the most fun I've had with an FPS and something like it would suit Overwatch.

I don't think there's any sort of permanent Horde-style co-op mode either like Zombies in Call of Duty.

And somehow I feel like finally releasing a map editor would be Blizzard admitting defeat in some ways, which overall their hubris has prevented them from doing for a good number of years now. The company seems to think too highly of its development skills these days relative to the industry overall, which has gotten way better while Blizzard has stagnated or made little progress comparatively on the same timeframe.

SaraNWrap

Alt account
Banned
Jan 30, 2019
Well they need to have more frequent updates. Their character and map release schedule is abysmal and leads to stale boring shit it is now. They also need to be actively balancing and tweaking all the time as to keep the game fresh, it's boring seeing the same mirror match teams at high level, everything should be viable but now it's just a 4th of the roster is usable. Matchmaking in comp is atrocious and needs to be completely scrapped, it's complete garbage, ELO Hell should not be a thing but in a team game where most people are shit and you are being "balanced" to play with garbage teammates if youre good is a joke.

The game wont make it another year at the top without big changes.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Is there a reason a CTF mode was banished to arcade?

Also a permanent game mode like Invasion from Halo Reach would be amazing. Only game that really did something like that decently, and they didn't expand on it much ever. Some of the most fun I've had with an FPS and something like it would suit Overwatch.

I don't think there's any sort of permanent Horde-style co-op mode either like Zombies in Call of Duty.

And somehow I feel like finally releasing a map editor would be Blizzard admitting defeat in some ways, which overall their hubris has prevented them from doing for a good number of years now. The company seems to think too highly of its development skills these days relative to the industry overall, which has gotten way better while Blizzard has stagnated or made little progress comparatively on the same timeframe.

They said something about why they didn't add CTF into the main mode rotation, iirc it's because it requires such a different playstyle.
What I don't understand though is why they're not having some of the old event modes like Junkenstein or Lucioball in Arcade at all times.

Personally, I was thinking something like Unreal Tournament 99's Assault mode, where there are specific objectives (e.g. place explosive charges on key places, destroy a gate, capture a certain area, etc. with the other team trying to prevent the attacking team from achieving them) would be extremely vitalizing for Overwatch's gameplay, and it would also be an awesome way to tell some lore without having to create a single player mode.

Tachya

Oct 25, 2017
They said something about why they didn't add CTF into the main mode rotation, iirc it's because it requires such a different playstyle.
What I don't understand though is why they're not having some of the old event modes like Junkenstein or Lucioball in Arcade at all times.

Personally, I was thinking something like Unreal Tournament 99's Assault mode, where there are specific objectives (e.g. place explosive charges on key places, destroy a gate, capture a certain area, etc. with the other team trying to prevent the attacking team from achieving them) would be extremely vitalizing for Overwatch's gameplay, and it would also be an awesome way to tell some lore without having to create a single player mode.

That's basically what Invasion in Halo Reach I was referring to did. In that game the Elites and Spartans were on opposing teams and each played slightly differently for an asymmetric experience with different objectives depending on the map, sorta like the differences between Terrorists and Counter Terrorists in Counter-Strike but to a greater degree.

It was round-based like CS, so you'd swap sides after a round was over for a Bo3 match or similar.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That's basically what Invasion in Halo Reach I was referring to did. In that game the Elites and Spartans were on opposing teams and each played slightly differently for an asymmetric experience with different objectives depending on the map, sorta like the differences between Terrorists and Counter Terrorists in Counter-Strike but to a greater degree.

It was round-based like CS, so you'd swap sides after a round was over for a Bo3 match or similar.

Right. I only ever played Halo... 2 I think? - on my then boyfriend's console, and it was some co-op mission thing, haha. I barely remember anything.

Oct 26, 2017
I hope they can turn it around

A friend of mine finally got a beefy PC and bought the game and we've been playing regularly with other friends. It's been a load of fun. They need something to attract new players and keep people. If only community servers with custom maps were still a thing :'(

Tachya

Oct 25, 2017
Right. I only ever played Halo... 2 I think? - on my then boyfriend's console, and it was some co-op mission thing, haha. I barely remember anything.

Yeah, either way the game mode isn't common now for whatever reason. It's probably pretty expensive to implement well in terms of dev resources — balance-wise for weapons, characters, etc. as well as for maps/objectives, and asset creation to have sufficiently large maps to support the mode as well as all the things in it (again weapons, other items, cosmetics, etc.)

Fancolours

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like the one thing that would make me interested in Overwatch again would be custom map making tools.

MissCauthon

Oct 25, 2017
Only issue I have with this game is, they charged me and have lootbooxes. Lootboxes have made them TONS of money, but yet they drip feed you content for the amount of cash that this is making. Content being added is SLOW as fuck. All the events pretty much repeat themselfs every year with nothing new other than skins.

MissCauthon

Oct 25, 2017

The unreal tournament suggestion you made would be AMAZING, As i remember in UT2k4 it was pretty amazing with the objective modes.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I love OWL, but the game is not fun to play anymore. It's just so samey and they move too slowly to adjust it.

I compare it to siege, which gets 8 new characters a year and 4 maps (effectively).
JUST when I start to tire of a season, it's time for a new one. It's perfect, in that way.

Harken Raiser

Oct 25, 2017
If they shifted their focus to more co-op stuff like Archives, they could please most of the people demanding more story. I also think that the game might benefit from a more drawn out and strategic mode like Tachya suggested, or a Moba-ish mode, at this point in it's life to shake things up. If they could do both of those (assuming they had the manpower) along with a relaunch of the game, they could breath some new life into it.

Also they need player run servers and custom maps, those have kept Team Fortress 2 alive for over a decade.

NeoRaider

Feb 7, 2018
I honestly don't know. I really don't know what to think. But OW is becoming really stale and it's just not fun like it used to be.

It doesn't help that i am getting such a long queue times in last few weeks and that games are usually bad and that one bad player can ruin the match and experience for everyone.

I hope that they can revive and refresh this game somehow but i doubt it. It looks like many players left and are just not interested anymore.

Imo. biggest issues were/are: Weird balance decisions, too much focus on OWL and merch and not trying to make the game better and more fun, recycled events, slow content release like heroes, maps, modes... etc., a lot of promises about new features and content that never happened... There are a lot of issues with OW rn. and i understand why players are giving up on it.

Young Liar

Nov 30, 2017
I've played Overwatch since it came out, and even to this day, when you're with a good team matched against another good team, and everyone is playing to the best of their abilities and communicating clearly, it's an amazing experience that still gives me a rush like no other.

It's just too bad that this ideal situation doesn't happen as often as it should. It's not too surprising given how teamwork-oriented and objective-based the game is so playing with strangers online so easily disrupts that dynamic.

As excited as I am for OWL S2, I honestly don't see it being as successful as Blizzard (and Activision-Blizzard's greedy as fuck executives and shareholders) expect it to be, especially with how much production and expansion money they've poured into it.

99% sure it's not happening but I think the only way to reinvigorate the game and public perception of it is to create a full-on, lengthy PVE story mode. The audience that loves the universe and the characters above all else would go wild over that, and the major shift of a strictly multiplayer game to having fleshed out campaigns with a narrative would get the entire industry talking and attract completely new players.

I don't know if there's anything that can be done with the PVP multiplayer to grow its playerbase short of introducing a battle royale mode that's better and more innovative than the competition. Not sure if it can pull off a Siege either unless Blizzard significantly ramps up the pace of releasing new heroes and maps.

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
Battle Royale with specific OW characters ASAP. If they aren't already working on it, they are screwed. It has to be out within a year at most. Apex is the game they should have made with OW IP. It's the natural evolution of it.

The biggest asset of OW is its characters, people love(d) them to insane extent more than any other game that I can think of. They can take advantage of that to launch more games. Hero/moba shooter wave is over, it was short lived one too, general populace aren't that interested in required team work. They need a game that can capture and hold the interest of 12+ yo. OW objectives and team synergy is too restrcitive and complex for that and even then it's not necessarily fun. In Apex for example, every character is basically same except with three unique abilities. They all have same hp and dps so you don't really care who picks what, let's just have a good time.

Yukinari

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Danger Zone
I think i played the lunar new year event and got so fed up with comp CTF and the wait times that i just bought boxes and stopped playing.

Dont even know why i bought an OWL season 2 pass either. This game is a shell of its former self. Meanwhile everytime i boot up TF2 which is a supposed "dead" game i get 10 times more enjoyment out of pubs and the characters are timeless.

Winter-John

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 6, 2018
I've been playing since the beta and really enjoyed the game over the last few years but I deleted it last weekend. It's become stale and I haven't liked most of the new characters apart from the metal cow. I'd jump back in they offered a mode where you could play the original version of OW, but for now I'm done with it.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
If Overwatch ever becomes f2p then my life is ultimately fucked. I had to sell my copy of the game and not bother renewing my PS+ subscription just to kick my addiction of that game.

GooZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly at this point, not sure what can they do to bring me back. They honestly need to do a major overhaul to the game to make it appealing again.

The way they balance characters is ridiculous, all champs are at risk to being nerfed suddenly or even the whole playstyle of that character. The meta is stale, and revolves around using certain tanks to win when tank roles have the lesser variety of characters to use from compare to DPS.

Events are an absolute joke, no new mini-games this year and it's just the same old thing that occurred last year but with newer skins, it doesn't feel special anymore.

I did had some glimpse of hope that they'd improve the game with lots of updates in 2018 and the lore will be more touched on but none of that happened and left me disappointed.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I've been playing since the beta and really enjoyed the game over the last few years but I deleted it last weekend. It's become stale and I haven't liked most of the new characters apart from the metal cow. I'd jump back in they offered a mode where you could play the original version of OW, but for now I'm done with it.
I mean, OG Overwatch also had Ms. "Hide & Rez" Mercy, so I'm not sure.

Deleted member 15440

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
even asking for more and faster character releases seems like the wrong call when most of the post-release heroes have been badly designed and widely disliked

OW was kept afloat by a high level of polish, a really good premise, and people really wanting to fuck most of the cast but almost all of the content and balance changes have been straight up bad

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
even asking for more and faster character releases seems like the wrong call when most of the post-release heroes have been badly designed and widely disliked

OW was kept afloat by a high level of polish, a really good premise, and people really wanting to fuck most of the cast but almost all of the content and balance changes have been straight up bad
Really? Most of them have been widely disliked? Nah

Ana: Seen as meta or very close to it. Not disliked.
Sombra: Not super meta, but not disliked much either.
Orisa: Can be used occasionally, but no one is really complaining about her.
Doomfist: Too powerful and then now too underpowered, and people found him glitchy, but few were ever like "he ruins the game". Actually, no, I guess there was like a...2-3 month point where people said he was causing too much bounce, but that's kinda minor in the grand scheme of things since he was so hard to play right.
Moira: Seen as meta or close too it. Not disliked.
Brig: Yes, widely disliked, gets a lot of flack for messing with meta.
Hammond: Rarely used, but not disliked.
Ashe: Used sometimes with DPS, but not disliked.

It's much moreso a case of "the entire game has a massive, massive issue with balance and only 7-8 characters being meta at any one time" than the new ones being particularly egregiously unliked (outside of Brig).

Shinrou

Oct 28, 2017
Finland
I wish they would rework ultimates across the board to weaken them all. I personally think the game hangs too much around the use of ultimates.

Also this GOATS-meta has been mind numbingly boring.

I also love the ping system of Apex so much that I wish there was one in OW as well.

As much as I played OW just a few weeks ago, I think Apex has taken my interest now for the time being. Let's see how things play out with OW.

RoboitoAM

Oct 25, 2017
Last time I played was about a month ago but it seemed alive and kicking on PC at least. I'm not sure what it's like on consoles these days.

data west

Oct 25, 2017
Really? Most of them have been widely disliked? Nah

Ana: Seen as meta or very close to it. Not disliked.
Sombra: Not super meta, but not disliked much either.
Orisa: Can be used occasionally, but no one is really complaining about her.
Doomfist: Too powerful and then now too underpowered, and people found him glitchy, but few were ever like "he ruins the game". Actually, no, I guess there was like a...2-3 month point where people said he was causing too much bounce, but that's kinda minor in the grand scheme of things since he was so hard to play right.
Moira: Seen as meta or close too it. Not disliked.
Brig: Yes, widely disliked, gets a lot of flack for messing with meta.
Hammond: Rarely used, but not disliked.
Ashe: Used sometimes with DPS, but not disliked.

It's much moreso a case of "the entire game has a massive, massive issue with balance and only 7-8 characters being meta at any one time" than the new ones being particularly egregiously unliked (outside of Brig).
Only reason Sombra's not widely disliked is because they purposefully keep her underpowered.

There was like a week where they buffed her damage/spread along with the hack cooldown and IMMEDIATELY got flamed to shit because she is, on paper, the worst hero for the game's health. She's just too weak most of the time to make it apparent.

I would say the problem with most the new heroes isn't that they're hated. It's that they're underwhelming in the meta. Boring, even.

GuitarGuruu

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah I really don't play it at all anymore whereas it used to be a daily thing. It's just not fun when you lose honestly and the toxic community doesnt help either. I think someone did a good video on why OW isn't fun to lose in but I forget who.

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
doomfist and sombra are not "disliked"? in your alternate dimension maybe. They have nerfed both of them hard last year because people HATED them on the forums and reddit. They are designed to not let you play the game, obviously going to be hated.

Ana was also very bad for the game when she was first added, she was completely broken with her nade and healing, let alone the og nanoboost that was laughably broken. Their balance quality has been a joke overall.

They pushed the og absurd valk mercy to live and for the most part she made it to OWL even after months of outrage, they changed it like 8 months later. I feel the game never recovered from that period. It was so horrible and the damage was permanent, people left the game right there. Then Brig made it even worse.

Last edited:

AaronMT

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
I don't play as often anymore. My dilemma, in Platinum, people still have no incentive to win. In Quickplay, there is no incentive to win. The reward isn't worth the struggle.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
So of the 8 characters, 1 is widely disliked, and then 2 were briefly disliked, aka, what happened to a bunch of other non-new characters. That's still less than half, and doesn't indicate any issue with them being new. There are still issues, but new ones in particular get an especially high degree of ire or being particularly poorly designed isn't one of them.

ChrisJSY

Oct 29, 2017
I'm not too fussed about regular updates to anything other than maps and characters; you can't expect them to keep coming up with fresh ideas when the whole genre is stale in ideas. Capture Point, King of the Hill, DM, TDM, CTF etc what else is there? Battle Royale for the sake of BR I don't think would work well unless they introduce an ow twist to it.

I enjoy the game more than others, especially BR because I don't have to fuck around with inventory.
Everyone is on the same playing field, no messing items, no "oh that dude found a yellow shield and I've got a shitty white one", just...play the game.

Yes I'm referencing Apex which I'm actually having fun with, the first BR game to do that, but yeah... what can they do?
What's the point of OW2 if it'll just be the same game when they can just carry on with the existing.

I would love to see them try some more PVE Stuff but that would sound like an entirely new game, I can't remember the name of the event but that one PVE event Blizz said took them a long, long time to get made because the game originally was not set up for it.

Which is strange considering they have AI already and can make scripted events.

Dartastic

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
...I still play the game almost daily and love it a lot. It's unlike anything else on the market. *shrugs*

borat

Banned
Jan 2, 2018
Played Overwatch on PS4 for a while but stopped. With each update it started to feel less fun and I can't put my finger on why. Maybe too much of a good thing? Who knows but vanilla Overwatch was the shit.

polished into blandness. stale meta. blizzard aren't great at balancing competitive games either.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
Brig haters are intent on makong this game another COD generic shooter.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
They need a massive overhaul and the changes needed would be too drastic for people to accept for a game that has such a huge fanbase and has been around for a few years now. I think they need to just focus on Overwatch 2.

Some things they could do with the current game is:

- Add a role queue with separate SR for each role. Also, add a "preferred" option that would display your preferred heroes for each role to other players to counteract private profiles. You would still have a problem with sub roles but it's better than what we have now and no solution will be perfect. There will be naysayers like those that didn't want the one hero limit but most people are coming around to the idea of a role queue now and it would be an overall improvement to game quality.

- Add ping system like Apex. This needs to be the gold standard for all multiplayer shooters going forward.

- Remove rewards from ranked other than the season and top 500 profile icons.

- Add an unranked mode that has the exact same rules as ranked but auto-fills for leavers. As the time investment is longer, add more XP for this mode.

- Add more unique weapon skins like gold guns that can be applied to any skin and purchasable with standard OW currency/coins. Make golden guns available to all for currency/coins.

- Add map voting to all modes

- Delete 2CP

- Forget about arcade mode. Let people setup and join custom games for that and focus all your development resources on the main game/modes and Overwatch 2.

Septy

Prophet of Truth
Nov 29, 2017
United States

I miss invasion so much. That was my most played game type on Reach. It's so disappointing that the game mode has never made a return despite how popular and great it was. Reach is coming up on 9 years too.

Tachya

Oct 25, 2017
I miss invasion so much. That was my most played game type on Reach. It's so disappointing that the game mode has never made a return despite how popular and great it was. Reach is coming up on 9 years too.

Yeah like I said though, I think the resources need to create and maintain such a mode with updates are considered too high to be worth the return on investment. Especially when there's a whole lot of other game to go around (campaign and all the other multiplayer modes). Especially if your bar for quality work is high.

Ze_Shoopuf

Jun 12, 2018
i used to play all the events to get the skins, but since they've been lazy repeat events i'm finding i just can't anymore.

like the christmas and new year events, i played the first day they were out, but then kinda forgot to play after that. oops.

the maps are so stale after all these years, and i don't like all the extra booping abilities they added to characters. and i hate torbjorn's rework.

they need to add some *new* permanent game modes. it's sooooo stale now.

Oct 25, 2017
Battle Royale with specific OW characters ASAP. If they aren't already working on it, they are screwed. It has to be out within a year at most. Apex is the game they should have made with OW IP. It's the natural evolution of it.

The biggest asset of OW is its characters, people love(d) them to insane extent more than any other game that I can think of. They can take advantage of that to launch more games. Hero/moba shooter wave is over, it was short lived one too, general populace aren't that interested in required team work. They need a game that can capture and hold the interest of 12+ yo. OW objectives and team synergy is too restrcitive and complex for that and even then it's not necessarily fun. In Apex for example, every character is basically same except with three unique abilities. They all have same hp and dps so you don't really care who picks what, let's just have a good time.

Yeah, I think BR Overwatch would be great. It could be a good bit more freeform than the current gameplay, which is growing increasingly ridged. With the push for 'removing' every current meta, and going in the eventual direction of locking comps to 2/2/2, much of the fun of experimentation will be gone at that point.

Which, on a similar note, I have never cared about the game competitively, and I feel like the massive focus on OWL and the comp scene is ruining what I like about the game. Ever since OWL took the spotlight, they don't seem to care about anything else.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
I'm glad I'm in high-gold. No one is playing GOAT, so many compositions are viable and will be picked. The game still amazes me. I stopped playing for a year because I was abroad with nothing to play it on, now that I'm back there is so much to discover and I like almost every hero. And all that value for 40 bucks (now 20). I also love the classic modes. Plain old and simple (team) deathmatch is great as I; no objective, just shooting and killing.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
They need a massive overhaul and the changes needed would be too drastic for people to accept for a game that has such a huge fanbase and has been around for a few years now. I think they need to just focus on Overwatch 2.

Some things they could do with the current game is:

- Add a role queue with separate SR for each role. Also, add a "preferred" option that would display your preferred heroes for each role to other players to counteract private profiles. You would still have a problem with sub roles but it's better than what we have now and no solution will be perfect. There will be naysayers like those that didn't want the one hero limit but most people are coming around to the idea of a role queue now and it would be an overall improvement to game quality.

- Add ping system like Apex. This needs to be the gold standard for all multiplayer shooters going forward.

- Remove rewards from ranked other than the season and top 500 profile icons.

- Add an unranked mode that has the exact same rules as ranked but auto-fills for leavers. As the time investment is longer, add more XP for this mode.

- Add more unique weapon skins like gold guns that can be applied to any skin and purchasable with standard OW currency/coins. Make golden guns available to all for currency/coins.

- Add map voting to all modes

- Delete 2CP

- Forget about arcade mode. Let people setup and join custom games for that and focus all your development resources on the main game/modes and Overwatch 2.
Role queue seems to be one of the biggest request in this thread. But as mentioned earlier, I don't think we'll get an Overwatch 2 for a long time if we consider how Blizzard handles sequels for their other IPs.

Blizzcut

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
The Community (at least on console) continues to get worse and worse as time goes on, every-time I get back on I get continually reminded why I took a break in the first place. Maybe the game will get good again with more content drops/balance patches (RIP my Mercy Main) but I think at this point its a pipe dream, this shit ain't never getting fixed... and no one STILL wants to PTFO! No one cares if you got the most team elims if you lost the damn match in the process!

Last edited:

Xwing

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
What fascinated me the most about Overwatch on release was definitely the characters and world. They have not advanced or developed the characters in any meaningful way since launch. They just keep adding more back story and supporting characters. It felt like when they first launched that they had some kind of plan to tell a story and maybe eventually release a single player campaign, but it has become increasingly clear that that is unlikely.

In addition, as others have pointed out, Blizzard seems to be at a complete loss as to how to actually balance the game at this point now that they have grown the roster size so big and lopsided to DPS characters.

It really feels like a lack of a long term plan has hurt them.

Who knows though, maybe they have something cooking that will prove me wrong.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
i used to play all the events to get the skins, but since they've been lazy repeat events i'm finding i just can't anymore.

like the christmas and new year events, i played the first day they were out, but then kinda forgot to play after that. oops.

the maps are so stale after all these years, and i don't like all the extra booping abilities they added to characters. and i hate torbjorn's rework.

they need to add some *new* permanent game modes. it's sooooo stale now.
I feel like most of the modes they do add (CTF, Deathmatch, etc.) are mostly for Arcade. A new Quickplay/Competitive mode would honestly go a long way in making things feel fresh.

Harken Raiser

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like most of the modes they do add (CTF, Deathmatch, etc.) are mostly for Arcade. A new Quickplay/Competitive mode would honestly go a long way in making things feel fresh.
I know I'd definitely hop back in if CTF or some other modes got added to the main rotation. They should be using Arcade and holiday event modes as opportunities to test and decide what new modes get permanently added to the core game.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I know I'd definitely hop back in if CTF or some other modes got added to the main rotation. They should be using Arcade and holiday event modes as opportunities to test and decide what new modes get permanently added to the core game.
CTF is honestly a few fixes away from being viable for competitive play, but I get that it kinda deviates too far from the pre-existing structure (hence why they use the Elimination maps for CTF).

Harken Raiser

Oct 25, 2017
CTF is honestly a few fixes away from being viable for competitive play, but I get that it kinda deviates too far from the pre-existing structure (hence why they use the Elimination maps for CTF).
Yeah, but that's why I like it. CTF is the only mode where you have to attack and defend simultaneously, in all the main modes (2CP/Payload/HotH) you're only doing one or the other. But they don't specifically have to add CTF to the rotation to make me happy, just something new.