• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Is Metroid a sandwich?

• Yes

Votes: 1,316 78.8%
  • No

Votes: 354 21.2%

• Total voters

Vaser

Oct 31, 2017
I didn't watch the show and I just saw the game announcements... Yeah, that was fuckin bad.

Majora's Mask

Oct 26, 2017
Overall, I'd say it was a good show. Probably a 7.0/10.0

Obsidian's new game, Marvel Ultimate Alliance and MK11 were my personal highlights. The orchestra was awesome, there were far less akward moments than last year so that was good.

All in all, though, I will say that it feels like the industry is already transitioning to the next gen consoles. Even when Phil Spencer was talking about 2019 games he didn't mention Halo Infinite, so I would expect that to be at the very least cross-gen.

I'm wondering if we will have a small event for Sony at the beginning of next year; we still need to know when are Death Stranding, TLOU Part II and Ghost of Tsushima hitting, among other seemingly 3rd parties exclusives.

DeadlyVirus

Oct 29, 2017
I'm sad Spider-Man didn't got any. But the competition is too tough
It was a year packed with great games.
Some years we have RDR2, GoW and Spiderman.
Other years we have Shadow of Mordor or Dragon Age Inquisition as winners

Edit: not trying to knock these 2 games, but they are not as critically acclaimed as Spiderman

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
The Game Awards will never truly be seen as legit until it stops being a gaming advertisement reel pretending to be an awards show. The focus on ads and trailer reveals is so gross.
Nah. It's true that it's not just an awards show, but so what. It's a celebration of gaming where people also actually join in. What you want is probably BAFTA:s. But as you can see, most people even on enthusiasts forum don't seem to care. https://www.resetera.com/threads/bafta-games-awards-2018.35738/
Compare the traffic these two threads got. I wonder how many of the people in this thread complaining about The Game Awards watch Baftas, or even check up the winners later on. Hell or know what it is and that it exists.
It was a year packed with great games.
Some years we have RDR2, GoW and Spiderman.
Other years we have Shadow of Mordor or Dragon Age Inquisition as winners

Edit: not trying to knock these 2 games, but they are not as critically acclaimed as Spiderman
https://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/dragon-age-inquisition
https://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/marvels-spider-man

Are you sure about that?

Edit: Even Shadow of Mordor critical consensus is just few points below Spiderman and Xbox version scoring the exact same as Spiderman. Spiderman isn't some once in a lifetime event, it's pretty run-of-the-mill big budget action game, altough with really talented devs with a lot of passion for the IP behind it. So don't get me wrong, it's really good, but didn't exactly set the world on fire or break new ground.

Last edited:

Barneystuta

Nov 4, 2017
I am watching it now. Unfortunately most of the big announcements have been spoilt, but so far, it seems a solid show.

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I missed the whole show but managed to see all the trailers playlist spoiler-free.
Damn this was better than last year and all the trailers were just amazing..I am actually surprised how good that went.

The Doctor

Jan 17, 2018
I said 1 week ago that Prime 4 is being witheld to e3 2019 and people laughed at me lol
Hahaha, man it was a crazy week.
I was chase with cynicism and hostility by posters who just couldn't believe that I was skeptical about Metroid showing up. They felt attacked in some way, like if I insulted their Tokyo's gods by simply stating that I felt like Nintendo wasn't going to show anything. Of course their argument always was "but [nick of an Insider] practically confirmed already!"

pewpewtora

Nov 23, 2017
Connecticut
It's great to see folks rewarded for their hardwork, but man I was bored to tears by this show. By the time Joker was revealed in Smash I had already tuned out.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
Wait a minute!

Why didn't Insomniac use TGA to announce their third dlc for Spider-Man? I was convinced it was gonna be there, I mean is supposed to be out this month.

Procheno

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Well done show Geoff Keighley. I can only imagine the difficulty of running such a show without a hitch, getting all the people there, organizing the orchestra and reveals, the whole deal. Your show keeps on getting better and better each year. What I'd give to help out in the future in some capacity

shuno

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
All in all a weak show. Nintendo prefers to pump the money into tiresome Smash Bros ads instead of optimizing their online mode. The "World Premieres" were bad, apart from a few Indies. Content Creator was rather Fortnite Creator, Esport as always too little appreciated and then still bad winners. Especially the Furry Guy managed to raise the cringe level to Spike Awards level. Plus the penetrating penetration of Epic and their disgusting moneyhattig, which only lets hope that the studios that are plugged into it burn down and perish. Ninja, Pepe, weak orchestra versions. At least the musical interlude of the RDR2 OST was premium. The only real highlight. Still sorry for Lena Raine and her amazing work on celeste, but its just unfortunate to run into RDR2.

Asmar

Oct 27, 2017
I just realized that we didn't get a Conan O'Brien segment this year, why?
I thought his segments were one of the best things about the previous years shows

someday

Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed the show, including the reveals. I don't spend as much time as others searching for upcoming games so this was a one-stop shop for me.

Highlights of the night otherwise were, "read it boy", Sonicfox, and the orchestra doing the Red Dead song.

But I think the moment that I appreciated the most was having the heads of Nintendo, Sony, and Xbox all on-stage stating unequivocally that gaming was for everyone. It was a rebuke to the sexist, racist, homophobic gamer dudes that have been so vocal lately whenever anything other than straight white men are the center of gaming. I want more of that and hope they follow through on making their systems, and gaming at large, inclusive at every step. It meant a lot to me.