The Game Awards 2018 |OT| Not Ready For Prime Time Players

Is Metroid a sandwich?

• Yes

Votes: 1,309 78.8%
  • No

Votes: 352 21.2%

• Total voters
Oct 27, 2017
The fault lies with the show, not my hopes. Metroid Trilogy HD is such an easy win, it should have been there. Not everyone wants to play smash, which I personally think is a horrid game And NO KOJIMA is crazy. Although it was really nice to see MK 11 come and kick the shit out of all the twee indie crap.
I know same, but after years and years of hype for these type things only to come up empty you get used to it, I am also not a smash gamer, so roll on MK 11, i think or hope there will be some Playstation conference early 2019 with Death Stranding and possibly ps5 Announced.

I was hoping for one mor Nintendo Direct before this year is out if not maybe January?

The last one was so packed I expect good things especially now Smash is out of the way.

Oct 25, 2017
Glad family responsibilities kept me from watching this show (only caught the Smash announcement to the end.) Sounds like a massive disappointment especially compared to last year. Joker on Smash was like the one thing I did not see coming (did anyone?).

Oct 25, 2017
That was a really great show this year! The production was smooth, engaging, and it kept moving a long without getting dragged down. I'm really pleased to see what TGA has become, and I can't wait to see what the future looks like for the show!
Polite Disagree. It was long winded and full of constant ads and cringe.

Maybe I'm just getting old but it was more a celebration of marketing than it was gaming. Epic swinging its money around constantly and a PUBG Trailer followed by a PUBG Trailer? Really?

At least indie studios got to make a good debut for their games.

Mato

Oct 27, 2017
Boo at the Metroid no-show. Nintendo really ought to dash such baseless rumors when they take over social media. A simple message two months ago would have been enough to save us the drama.

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly the show was okay, but I probably won't watch next year(something that I probably said last year)

Last year was better, schick hydrostick and all. False rumours aren't the shows' fault it's yall fault
lol 😆 next year they will tease some big game and everyone will tune in.

Oct 29, 2017
The fault lies with the show, not my hopes. Metroid Trilogy HD is such an easy win, it should have been there. Not everyone wants to play smash, which I personally think is a horrid game And NO KOJIMA is crazy. Although it was really nice to see MK 11 come and kick the shit out of all the twee indie crap.
So the fault is for the show because of something that was never announced?

Sounds like you expected too much

Oct 25, 2017
Omega
I enjoyed the awards, a lot of the games shown look really good and there's a lot of games in the coming future to look forward too. The orchestra performances were great, and something they should keep doing every year.

Oct 27, 2017
I know same, but after years and years of hype for these type things only to come up empty you get used to it, I am also not a smash gamer, so roll on MK 11, i think or hope there will be some Playstation conference early 2019 with Death Stranding and possibly ps5 Announced.

I was hoping for one mor Nintendo Direct before this year is out if not maybe January?

The last one was so packed I expect good things especially now Smash is out of the way.
MK11 saved the show for me

So the fault is for the show because of something that was never announced?

Sounds like you expected too much
Sounds like you're right.

Oct 29, 2017
Brazil
Congrats Geoff on the show! Having followed your journey to get everything ready makes me appreciate it even more. Keep going!

Aside from the weird ads and thinking the show was a bit too long, it was honestly great!

Love the way it branched into every aspect of gaming, from the actual awards, to music, indie devs, representation and reveals. Not to mention the awesome start with Reggie, Shawn and Phil.

Tux_

Nov 5, 2017
Production values were off the charts, great job to Geoff and team. How fucking far they've come since the first one, damn.

I do wish their were more big announcements, but obviously studios are holding big announcements back for next gen.

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Tampa, FL
Boo at the Metroid no-show. Nintendo really ought to dash such baseless rumors when they take over social media. A simple message two months ago would have been enough to save us the drama.
Or, people could just learn to keep their hype in check over things that have absolutely no guarantee of happening.

Oct 25, 2017
Twas a bust for me. None of the content, be it the "World Premiers" or the games being awarded themselves interested me in the slightest. Definitely not sure I'll tune in next year, especially with the whole "boy who cried wolf" thing going on with rumors this time around.

Nov 2, 2017
I feel like I say this every year, but, It had it faults, and it was definitely the best one yet. Nice work Geoff!!

I would really love for Daniel Lanois to tour that Red Dead shit around. I would definitely pay good money to see that live.

E.T.

Oct 25, 2017
I would hope people realise and appreciate just how difficult it is to organise and host an event that is the equivalent of the oscars for the gaming industry. Could be a bit tighter in spots sure, but what Geoff has accomplished is nothing short of miraculous. A few more comedic bits would be welcome.

Oct 22, 2018
I'm sorry to everyone who let Boogie and Ninja into their living rooms in hope of a promise of some level of hype and found few announcements. I know already it can't have been worth it. :(

Oct 25, 2017
It’s not Nintendo’s responsibility to shoot down every baseless rumor surrounding their software.

What you all need to stop doing is taking the nonsense Twitter “teases” seriously.

There are even mods on this forum who engage in this practice,, so you’re just going to have to start ignoring these “insiders” entirely if you want to keep your sanity.

Now, if they want to actually go beyond pointless teases and drop some actual information, that’s different. And if they’re wrong, they can maybe be a bit open and honest with the community as to what happened. Most (not all) can respect and understand the occasional mistake.

Nov 2, 2017
I'm sorry to everyone who let Boogie and Ninja into their living rooms in hope of a promise of some level of hype and found few announcements. I know already it can't have been worth it. :(
I don't think Boogie was on the show, unless I missed it. I just watched because it was fun...don't care about Ninja, but he didn't come off offensively.

Nov 3, 2017
Then they should keep it to themselves. Period. If they want to share, they should have a definitive source.

If someone is hinting as a user here, they should have to verify their source with a mod. One strike, you're out and can't spread rumors any more.

They all want all of the fame with none of the work of actual journalism/networking/sourcing/research/digging.
As someone still bitter at the GCN Virtual Console Rumor being debunked I know how you feel, but Direct Feed was hinting that there was no metroid at TGA itself, just that it was coming soon. I do agree about having random users that share rumors vet with mods first, but still, this is also why people in general need to keep expectations in check.

Benji

US Sales Insider
Oct 25, 2017
Overall that was a great show. At times the pacing felt like it dragged just a bit, and I felt the 2nd half of the show was a lot stronger than the 1st half in terms of both reveals, and giving the winners more time on stage to talk.

So yeah, another great year for the industry and the show.

Oct 29, 2017
Really great show. Expected it to be cringe, but it was good. The winners and performers were genuine and looked like they had a great time. The orchestra was amazing. Was really happy about obra Dinn, Astro bot, God of War, and sonicfox winning, among others.
I feel like this is what Geoff has been working towards the last years. Sort of like Kojima to finally be able to get all of the people he wanted into his game.
Only a few years ago he stood there in some crappy studio with Joel McHale saying stupid shit. And now he got Hans Fucking Zimmer, Russo Brothers, Jeff Kaplan, the CEOs of the big three, and half of Hollywood in there for.....video games.
Geoff Keighley loves this industry more than most on era do.
Getting people in from Hollywood that don't even give a sh*t about gaming isn't the way to go . Looking at a half drunk Jonah Hill giving away an industry icon award isn't pleasing to me or most of the gamers around the world I hope. Got to say the best segments were from Facebook gaming which were ads I presume

Oct 27, 2017
From marketing standpoint it makes sense that the game was a no show with Smash launching today. Why send mix marketing? Reggie was there to sell a product coming out immediately. I had hoped there would be something today as well but early next year let's see where we are by the second week of Jan.

Oct 25, 2017
Dayum, the Smash announcement is dominating Twitter's Worldwide trends with more than 600K tweets. I think it's fair to say it was the show's megaton and it wasn't even close.

For comparison's sake, Derrick Henry is at 99K (123K if you add "Jags").

Last edited:

Mato

Oct 27, 2017
It’s not Nintendo’s responsibility to shoot down every baseless rumor surrounding their software.
I disagree. The Metroid-TGA rumor specifically was very prominent and enduring. It concerns a considerable subset of their fan base. I'm sure Treehouse has been aware of it. Something laconic like "We have no plans to show anything Metroid related at TGA" would have sufficed.

Oct 25, 2017
I disagree. The Metroid-TGA rumor specifically was very prominent and enduring. It concerns a considerable subset of their fan base. I'm sure Treehouse has been aware of it. Something laconic like "We have no plans to show anything Metroid related at TGA" would have sufficed.
Not their job.

Jan 2, 2018
The best show in terms of pacing and flow. Much better advertisement segments as well. Bit weaker in terms of reveals but not by a whole lot. Only suggestion would be to completely axe the developer interviews. If you decide to throw up a cgi trailer that shows nothing you shouldn’t be allowed to then talk it up with buzzwords trying to convince people to be interested in a game that doesn’t yet really exist to us.

The interviews with people like Reggie Shawn and Phil are totally fine imo if they’re geared toward talking about the industry as a whole and the direction they intend to go in a meaningful way. But most of the interviews came off like Geoff was playing PR setup man. Totally unnecessary and every time it happened I’d mentally tune out.

Oct 31, 2018
Get in God of War of Boy of Dad. So well deserved. My favourite game ever beating the last of us. But they got robbed out of that music award. But 2 awards plus the main one I'll take that. What a year for the ps4, what a time to be alive.

AAnd lol at spidey getting nominated for everything but winning nothing. Life is cruel!

Black Ops 5?

Oct 25, 2017
We’ll simply have to agree to disagree.

Nov 15, 2017
Might get flack for this, but I think Nintendo chose the right things to announce here as far as timing.

Avengers fever is HIGH. Especially if we're getting the trailer tomorrow. Smart to announce the Ultimate Alliance game here. They'll definitely be giving it a full marketing push. It's a HUGE get for them and since they're publishing it, it must be one of their big games for next year.

And Smash launched mere minutes after that Joker trailer. It was brilliantly timed, really. The hype is incredible and the internet has reacted really positively to his inclusion.

Would I have loved Metroid? Of course. But what we saw tonight was nice. We'll see Metroid in due time.