The Game Awards 2018 |OT| Not Ready For Prime Time Players

Is Metroid a sandwich?

• Yes

Votes: 1,309 78.8%
  • No

Votes: 352 21.2%

• Total voters
Oct 25, 2017
The show was awesome! Geoff and his team continue to get better every year - those orchestral arrangements were absolutely phenomenal. I heartily enjoyed my annual tradition of smoking a bit of hookah and enjoying the festivities of it all!

Oct 31, 2018
Dayum, the Smash announcement is dominating Twitter's Worldwide trends with more than 600K tweets. I think it's fair to say it was the show's megaton and it wasn't even close.

For comparison's sake, Derrick Henry is at 99K (123K if you add "Jags").
The twitter home page is covered with God of War stuff. Smash is launching tonight so a lot of the tweets are for the launch not from the game awards.

God of War beating RDR2 is a legit megaton and well-deserved. My favourite game ever beating the last of us.

Nov 13, 2017
I mean other than not having Metroid what was wrong with the event? It wasn’t hollow or soulless. It felt genuine. The people seemed happy to be there and to accept the awards.

I get there probably wasn’t anything like Bayonetta 1+2 and Bayonetta 3, or the From Software teaser or a death stranding trailer like last year, that was some truely epic shit.....and won’t ever be topped honestly. But we did get

A Crash Team Racing reboot!
The Outer Worlds
Persona x Smash! That’s fucking huge.

So yeah I enjoyed it.

Oct 29, 2017
I disagree. The Metroid-TGA rumor specifically was very prominent and enduring. It concerns a considerable subset of their fan base. I'm sure Treehouse has been aware of it. Something laconic like "We have no plans to show anything Metroid related at TGA" would have sufficed.
If they shut it down now they will have to shut down every rumor (true or false) in the future or people will know a rumor is true if they don't shut it down. And will bring more work for them and ill will when they deny rumors that turn out to be true shortly after.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
As a dev, I really enjoyed the show this year. There was good balance between premiere videos, giving devs time to talk with the awards, and the musical bits. I found the GGC bits to be really great as they showcased some really cool people.

There wasn't much cringe at all. At least, there was mostly only cringe in the "this is an award show" sense. I'm glad this seems to be trending in the right direction. I'm just genuinely happy to see members of the dev community get recognition on a stage like this.

Was every trailer I wanted to see shown? No. But man there was a whole lot of really cool looking stuff I didn't even know about.

Overall really enjoyed it. Kudos to Geoff Keighley for putting this on and improving on it year after year.

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle, WA
I thought the show was great. They have really improved the pacing between awards and announcements, it was the smoothest it's ever been. And God of War winning GOTY is the cherry on top.

Oct 26, 2017
Biggest disappointments of the night:

1. No Death Stranding
2. No Metroid Prime 4
3. No Avengers

Highlights:

1. God of war winning GOTY, talent wins etc etc
2. The 3 console kings together
3. The RDR2 music orchestra

Cringe awards:

1. My Devil Trigger live
2. The best e-sports player fox something (though I really liked him)
3. Joseph Fares again

Mato

Oct 27, 2017
If they shut it down now they will have to shut down every rumor (true or false) in the future or people will know a rumor is true if they don't shut it down. And will bring more work for them and ill will when they deny rumors that turn out to be true shortly after.
Not every rumor. Only the biggest, most fake ones. I just think they need some kind of an internal mechanism to deal with these things so that long-time fans like me who are invested aren't left feeling bitter and disappointed. It's literally just a message on the treehouse twitter account. That's all it would take.

I don't understand why this event was important enough for Reggie to show up to it.
Exactly.

Oct 25, 2017
The twitter home page is covered with God of War stuff. Smash is launching tonight so a lot of the tweets are for the launch not from the game awards.

God of War beating RDR2 is a legit megaton and well-deserved. My favourite game ever beating the last of us.
Even if you remove all the tweets that contain "Smash", the announcement is still at 296K tweets -- second only to the awards' hashtag. God of War is at 62K.

Oct 25, 2017
Outer Worlds was the only exciting "new" premiere for me, looking forward to that one. Happy that God of War won GOTY and the orchestra performances were cool. CG trailers for games where you don't even know what the hell it is didn't do anything for me.

Disappointed about no Metroid, since it seemed like lots of people were teasing it like a sure thing. But I don't blame the show or Nintendo for that one.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Just caught up.

The announcement I'd have been most hyped for was Ultimate Alliance 3, but I got monkey's pawed! Congrats to Nintendo for that get. Crazy stuff.

Oct 31, 2018
Even if you remove all the tweets that contain "Smash", the announcement is still at 296K tweets -- second only to the awards' hashtag. God of War is at 62K.
That's not all them. For instance there's 120k tweets so far under the section for "god of war beats red dead for GOTY."

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Tampa, FL
Not every rumor. Only the biggest, most fake ones. I just think they need some kind of an internal mechanism to deal with these things so that long-time fans like me who are invested aren't left feeling bitter and disappointed. It's literally just a message on the treehouse twitter account. That's all it would take.

Exactly.
Blizzard got ahead of Diablo 4 not being at Blizzcon and people still got unreasonably upset that it wasn't there when the conference ended. Regardless of whether or not Nintendo says anything there are going to be a decent number of people that will choose to believe what they want, and then when their expectations aren't met they will still get unreasonably upset.

Oct 29, 2017
Managing expectations is a part of any big publisher's job.

Notice how a company like Rocksteady just went ahead and cleared the air about their next game NOT premiering at the TGAs. Blizzard went ahead and confirmed Diablo 4 would be a no-show at Blizzcon.
Notice how From Software didn’t say anything about Bloodborne 2. Or Kojima about Death Stranding.

Oct 31, 2018
Cool, but I'm talking about worldwide trends only. And even with the 120K..... still not close. It's literally taking 5/10 spots.
I'm not an expert on twitter but when I set it to WW trends the feature at the top is god of war and number 2 behind the game awards itself is God of war. I don't know how their algorithm works but they view God of war as more important.

Mato

Oct 27, 2017
Blizzard got ahead of Diablo 4 not being at Blizzcon and people still got unreasonably upset that it wasn't there when the conference ended. Regardless of whether or not Nintendo says anything there are going to be a decent number of people that will choose to believe what they want, and then when their expectations aren't met they will still get unreasonably upset.
No, if they say something is not happening and stick to their word then people like me will eventually learn to take their word for granted.

Dec 7, 2017
The Game Awards will never truly be seen as legit until it stops being a gaming advertisement reel pretending to be an awards show. The focus on ads and trailer reveals is so gross.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not an expert on twitter but when I set it to WW trends the feature at the top is god of war and number 2 behind the game awards itself is God of war. I don't know how their algorithm works but they view God of war as more important.
That's because the Smash announcement is being divided into several parts (Edit: and to be fair, so is GoW, but the Smash "pieces" are large enough to take half of the Worldwide trends spots). Smash + Persona 5 + Joker + ペルソナ (Persona) + ジョーカー (Joker), and so on.

Oct 25, 2017
Notice how From Software didn’t say anything about Bloodborne 2. Or Kojima about Death Stranding.
Neither of those were heavily rumored to make an appearance.

Even still, Kojima tweeted that he was not attending the TGAs yesterday.....which pretty much everyone understood to mean that Death Stranding would be a no-show:

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Tampa, FL
No, if they say something is not happening and stick to their word then people like me will eventually learn to take their word for granted.
"They need to debunk rumors, but I still won't believe what they say because of course they would say that, unless they do it multiple times, but what if there's a chance they're lying this time"

Mato

Oct 27, 2017
"They need to debunk rumors, but I still won't believe what they say because of course they would say that, unless they do it multiple times, but what if there's a chance they're lying this time"
Hm, that's rude. Stop trying to put words in my mouth. I don't care enough to try to convince you. I've made my point, I'm done for now.

Oct 29, 2017
But then they would still have to comment on every rumor and giveaway their reveals. Where is the line for how big a rumor has to be? Anything they don't shutdown will be seen as verified but at least some which will lead to the rumor growing until it eventually passes any arbitrary threshold. Nintendo, like any company, does not comment on rumors precisely for people like you to get burnt and stop trusting random (or specific) people on the internet. Don't blame Nintendo for misleading you. They never did. The people who mislead you are the person starting the leak and yourself for believing it. This also holds true for leaks/rumors of other companies.
I am a bit disappointed myself that we did not get to see anything about Metroid. But I don't blame Nintendo for it. At least not more than any other random day without news about Metroid.
And Reggie was there because Nintendo is one of the main sponsors of this event, if I remember correctly.

Oct 27, 2017
Would anyone happen to know why Spider-Man wasn't a nomination for Best Action? It ended up not winning any awards but I think it would have easily won Best Action if it was actually in the category.

Oct 31, 2018
So show was overhyped? Who would of thought.
Maybe in threads over hyping it but in general I don't think so. I didn't read any of these hype threads and I thought it was a good solid awards show with some good gaming filler and promotional material in between.

Nov 4, 2017
Are we starting a new thread to list who was robbed?

It was Christopher Judge...

Interesting show, I could only listen to it because I was at work. I look forward to seeing some video recaps later.

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Tampa, FL
Hm, that's rude. Stop trying to put words in my mouth. I don't care enough to try to convince you. I've made my point, I'm done for now.
Did you not say "people like me will eventually learn to take their word for granted"? Implying that even if they were to debunk a rumour, you wouldn't believe them until they met some arbitrary metric of yours?

Mato

Oct 27, 2017
Did you not say "people like me will eventually learn to take their word for granted"? Implying that even if they were to debunk a rumour, you wouldn't believe them until they met some arbitrary metric of yours?
As it happens they have a bad track record of occasionally shooting down a rumor and then doing the opposite. It doesn't mean they can't find a different way of doing things in the future. And they do need to do things differently, there's space for improvement.