The Game Awards 2018 |OT| Not Ready For Prime Time Players

Is Metroid a sandwich?

• Yes

Votes: 1,309 78.8%
  • No

Votes: 352 21.2%

• Total voters
Mar 21, 2018
Celeste winning an award is good - even two, nice. Should've been game of the year tho. :P

No, if they say something is not happening and stick to their word then people like me will eventually learn to take their word for granted.
Yes. Please do so. Start doing so right away, in fact. If gamers in general could actually DO this, we'd be spared so many stupid outrages (like the Diablo one). If a company says "no x", believing otherwise and then raging is just silly.

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I was super sad at the lack of Metroid but the show itself was incredibly well done. It didn’t drag at any moment (well, maybe the DMC song..yikes) and just generally felt very professional. Absolutely the best one yet despite what was largely underwhelming game reveals for me. Joker in Smash was a very cool surprise though. Hopefully they put P5 on it..I’d probably double dip.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Neither of those were heavily rumored to make an appearance.

Even still, Kojima tweeted that he was not attending the TGAs yesterday.....which pretty much everyone understood to mean that Death Stranding would be a no-show:

Kojima has a history of horsing around/lying about these kinds of things for effect. A tweet like that shouldn't be trusted when Geoff responded to it with 🌈.

Speaking of that emoji, Geoff and Kojima were having a back and forth on Twitter in the lead up to TGAs using that Death Stranding rainbow emoji motif, and even The Game Awards twitter account replied to Kojima with the rainbow. The Game Awards trailer had massive Death Stranding related themes such as the explosion and the rising rock particles that have been present in previous Death Stranding trailers, as you can see here:

No matter the spin, Geoff and Kojima teased it heavily in the lead up. Kojima only bothered to seriously inform people in detail about his (and Death Stranding's) absence from the TGAs, after it had finished. It reminds me of that story of boy who cried wolf. Pretty disappointing.

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Tampa, FL
As it happens they have a bad track record of occasionally shooting down a rumor and then doing the opposite. It doesn't mean they can't find a different way of doing things in the future. And they do need to do things differently, there's space for improvement.
What needs to be done differently is that people need to learn to check their hype so that we don't have people posting meltdowns every time something doesn't go the way they expected based off of something they heard. Hearing a rumor and holding out some small hope for it to be true, but being mildly disappointed in the end is fine. Calling for heads over a bogus roster leak or a fucking trailer not showing up is childish as hell.

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Polite Disagree. It was long winded and full of constant ads and cringe.

Maybe I'm just getting old but it was more a celebration of marketing than it was gaming. Epic swinging its money around constantly and a PUBG Trailer followed by a PUBG Trailer? Really?
These were ad breaks — the show has to get paid for somehow. It’s very common for the same car commercial to air five times during a sporting event. This was no different.

Mato

Oct 27, 2017
What needs to be done differently is that people need to learn to check their hype so that we don't have people posting meltdowns every time something doesn't go the way they expected based off of something they heard. Hearing a rumor and holding out some small hope for it to be true, but being mildly disappointed in the end is fine. Calling for heads over a bogus roster leak or a fucking trailer not showing up is childish as hell.
I didn't ask for anyone's head, not sure why you said that. It's much easier for a corporation to refine their tactics than it is to change people.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
So I was in the Boogie thread earlier and I must say that the show did good, based on what I catched from it. I was hoping charity/raising awareness and the show did highlight some good things. Also there was decent amount of diversity on stage. I think the show overall was positive vibes. So thanks for the show Geoff Keighley, you did good.

Edit: Was Aisha Tyler there though? I couldn't catch the whole show and didn't see her.

Last edited:

>__

Oct 28, 2018
Honestly the reveals were surprisingly good:
Obsidian game
Smash challenger
CTR
MK11

Hope they can build off for an even better next year or keep it around the same. With next gen coming soon and big games coming in 2019, 2019 should be better.

Oct 25, 2017
That show was by far one of the worst i‘ve ever seen, and that‘s not even because of Metroid missing its chance to shine, but because of overhyping the show to something that it simply wasn‘t. And that also coming from the person responsible himself.

It felt rushed as hell, big game announcements and shockers were nowhere to be seen. I liked the Joker reveal, but that‘s literally one character in a game. The rest „big“ games were actually pretty small games. Good for them to have a place to shine, but for „big“ surprises and „worlds will change“ or whatever, it was overhyped.
Edit: Rushed in the sense of content sticked together too tight, some speaking too less, some to long and time fillers waaaaay to long. In a whole, too long show.

I don‘t even think i felt that bad after a single E3. The awards were more than predictable, with RDR2 and GOW fighting it out. As what i‘ve seen right now, i will never watch that show again. It got hyped up so fucking much, but it is what it is, just giving out some awards with trying to fit in some ads for games.

For big game reveals, i will watch something else. This was literally 3 hours down the pipe for me.

Geoff said he will bring people to tears this time, and i think i‘m literally close to cry because i want my precious wasted time back that i could‘ve slept.
This generation is basically over. Not sure why you expected a lot of big game announcements.

Oct 25, 2017
As the show wrapped up, let's see what worked and what didn't for me:

What worked
- Announcements: Sure, some of the stuff was leaked or teased already, but a new Marvel Ultimate Alliance out of nowhere? A new Mortal Kombat? A new post-apocalyptic Far Cry? Obsidian's new old-school-Fallout-meet-Borderlands RPG? Below and Ashen not only coming now but even part of Game Pass? The CTR Remake as a multiplatform game from the start, too? A new Dragon Age? Tons of exciting indies? Impressive, absolutely impressive.
- Something for all platforms: Looking at the announcements again, I feel like whether you own an Xbox One, a Switch, a PS4, a PC (unless you're a Steam devotee, heh) or are waiting for next-gen consoles, you kinda have plenty of things to look forward regardless, both in terms of exclusives and third parties. Sure, there were things missing (Metroid Prime, where art thou) but as someone who owns most platforms I walked away pretty confident about the next months/years of gaming after seeing these things, knowing fully well there's a lot of other things coming up we didn't see today (most Sony exclusives, Microsoft's long-term games like Halo and Fable, closer releases like Metro, etc.).
- The format: A pretty relentless barrage of announcements, awards, interviews and then some. Geoff held the stage well for most of the time, and the 3 hours runtime of the show felt definitely shorter given how action-packed it all was - and trust me, I would have felt if it was boring considering I woke up before 3am to watch this, so I was quite sleepy.

What sort of worked
- The orchestra: Having a full-blown orchestra doing classical renditions of videogame music is awesome and definitely adds value to the show. It's too bad they mainly preferred concentrating on the same refrains of the same games. I did not play RDR2 but by the end of the show I must have heard its theme song (or its most iconic song or whatever that is) like 5 times.
- Console war over?: Having some of the top men from Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo on the same stage at the same practically finishing each others' phrases is quite the memorable and potentially important moment, but I felt that they haven't said anything particularly meaningful or impactful for it to really matter. They could have made major points about inclusiveness, cross-play and such, but it felt like generic "gaming's awesome" prep talk. Could have been better.
- Smash x Persona: I understand this is a big deal for Persona fans, but wasting a fake blackout announcement out of nowhere for a DLC character seems like a missed opportunity, such a slot could have been used for a huge reveal like that Obsidian game or something. Last time such a fake "hacking the scene" thing happened at a major event we had a world premiere reveal of Cyberpunk 2077, which was quite a bigger deal.

What didn't work
- Awards remain the least exciting part: When your big hyped blockbusters of the year scoop up 80% of the eligible awards again, it becomes far less exciting. There's so little chances for outlier wins in this show, which is too bad. It's like you could know what games were going to be picked for all major categories (bar a few indies like Celeste) without fail prior to their release: RDR2 was always gonna win half the awards, Forza was always going to be nominated meaningfully only as a racer and not as a "game", Fortnite and its streamers were obviously getting a huge advantage from the get go, and so on. Predictable and not particularly exciting.
- Forced gamer humor: When all your VIPs force the same Fortnite jokes or talk about their hardcore "gamer" past when they clearly have no fucking clue about what the consoles and games were called, it becomes rather obvious they're in this for some quick cash and have little to do with gaming. There are actual VIPs, sports players, celebrities who actively game, but apparently they preferred kinda faking it out instead. Too bad.
- Inclusiveness: They clearly tried hard to get some positive message across, but not only SonicFox's speech was trying a bit too hard, but even worse they decided to honour a mysogynist and toxic player like Ninja, plus showering RDR2 with awards where even an actual person who worked on it went on stage and "jokingly" reminded us that he worked late hours on many days for this title. When they so openly support toxic behaviours it comes off as fake and forced when they try and push positive messages unfortunately - too bad because there were some good ones, like the whole section with female devs or that disabled gamer (I'm sorry I don't know the name, I don't follow gaming personalities much).

Overall, this was a fine show. The awards were mostly predictable and straightforward, but even with the leaks Geoff delivered on his promise and brought us tons of exciting new games we've never seen before, which is not easy given how leaky today's industry is. The pace of the show was good, and while there were some questionable moments and choices, plus maybe a few disappointments based on odd rumors (good thing for me I care little about Metroid), I feel like it was one of the strongest live gaming shows I remember watching in this decade. There's definitely a lot to work on, especially to make the gamer culture feel less cringey on live TV, but I was entertained and overall satisfied. It was worth waking up at 3am and sleeping like 3 hours all night with work to do today.

Oct 31, 2018
That's because the Smash announcement is being divided into several parts (Edit: and to be fair, so is GoW, but the Smash "pieces" are large enough to take half of the Worldwide trends spots). Smash + Persona 5 + Joker + ペルソナ (Persona) + ジョーカー (Joker), and so on.
As I said I'm no twitter expert so I'll take your word for it. If true then that's insane publicity persona 5 just got. I know it already sold very well but it should get a nice boost of sales from all this.

Oct 27, 2017
Fuel how? If they phrased their message in such a way that leaves no doubt over the presence of Metroid in TGA there would be little room for discussion.
So when Nintendo said (for multiple E3 shows now) that they will focus on games "releasing this year", people stopped discussing and stopped with outrageous "predictions" for E3?

That was bad, who thought a smash DLC fighter was worth dimming the lights Cyber Punk style for.
Guess you have no knowledge of Persona 5, eh? That was straight out of the game. Also, probably the biggest "news" that came out. For how boring the show felt to a lot of people, that seems to be the one that has folks "shook".

Personally I thought it was just okay. Feels like they spent too much time with guests up front and that reduced the time some of the main awards winners had later on. The industry icon award was cool, and the RDR2 performance was neat, but overall I felt like some of it was a bit odd like omitting games in certain categories so other games could win? Idk, felt weird.

Oct 25, 2017
Overall the show was good for me. The format worked well enough, the musical performances were good imo. Some genuinely cool looking games got shown. I got what I was hoping for with Obsidian's new game and MK11. I don't play Persona or Smash but that was still a cool announcement to see, and a great get for the show.
It may helped that I watched it with friends this time so it was harder to be bored.

Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
Nah he was making it seem like it was finally going to be announced. Between his tweets and Borderlands 2 PSVR, it seemed like the series was making a big comeback
I think he has one shot of presenting Borderlands 3, just right. One wrong move and itll get swallowed whole. Just this show alone had 3 post apocalyptic 1st person shooters, all look fantastic. Whoever they are partnering with (Sony?) for marketing probably shut it down to wait for a bigger stage.

He just better make sure BL3 is off the fkn hook, cause Far Cry: New Dawn, Rage 2 and The Outer Worlds are looking pretty good.

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Question.

I'm watching the award ceremony after the fact(I was busy at the time). The guy for celeste said if the game helps you with mental illness then that was on you since the change came from inside(good stuff). What I was wondering is what about that game is about mental illness? I thought it was some platformer and I'm assuming there's some story to it now.

TI92

Oct 25, 2017
phew, had to leave about halfway through and just finished it. What a goddamn good show Geoff.

Now when is Persona and The Outer Worlds going to be announced for Switch :)

Oct 31, 2017
The Game Awards will never truly be seen as legit until it stops being a gaming advertisement reel pretending to be an awards show. The focus on ads and trailer reveals is so gross.
But that’s what it is intend to be and people love it. See how many comments are about stuff that wasn’t even shown?

I mean, I don’t think the Oscars is a good show or anything but at least there aren’t comments like “why wasn’t the new infinity wars trailer shown!!” on the day after.

This is a marketing event and people love it because gaming culture is all about hype cycles and people getting excited for logos and brands and all of that. It’s the culture video games have.

What annoys me the most is, despite this, people wanting to claim how this is a serious award show like the Oscars and how it’s so legitimate and all of that. Again, the Oscars are a low bar and all of that but comparing this to the Oscars just makes this look bad. Just call it a marketing event and give GOTY so people can fight about it and call it a day.

Oct 25, 2017
Question.

I'm watching the award ceremony after the fact(I was busy at the time). The guy for celeste said if the game helps you with mental illness then that was on you since the change came from inside(good stuff). What I was wondering is what about that game is about mental illness? I thought it was some platformer and I'm assuming there's some story to it now.
The game uses Celeste Mountain, its setting, as something of a metaphor for both our own and the main character Madeline's struggles with self acceptance and dealing with depression, anxiety, and other mental disorders. The game includes all sorts of story beats that show off the main characters insecurities and vulnerabilities, and the internal and external sources of them. Sometimes this metaphor works, sometimes it seems a little strained.
She goes beyond self acceptance to treating her own strong overpowering negative emotions as a partner. Madeline befriends her own negativity. This always rung hollow to me. I don't suffer from depression or anxiety like this, but I can't imagine warming up to your own self loathing.

Despite the fact that the metaphor seemed at times strained, the story was touching and I don't doubt many people found a little comfort in it. I enjoyed it quite a bit myself.

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
The game uses Celeste Mountain, its setting, as something of a metaphor for both our own and the main character Madeline's struggles with self acceptance and dealing with depression, anxiety, and other mental disorders. The game includes all sorts of story beats that show off the main characters insecurities and vulnerabilities, and the internal and external sources of them. Sometimes this metaphor works, sometimes it seems a little strained.
She goes beyond self acceptance to treating her own strong overpowering negative emotions as a partner. Madeline befriends her own negativity. This always rung hollow to me. I don't suffer from depression or anxiety like this, but I can't imagine warming up to your own self loathing.

Despite the fact that the metaphor seemed at times strained, the story was touching and I don't doubt many people found a little comfort in it. I enjoyed it quite a bit myself.
I'll have to check it out sometime then. Sounds interesting!

Thanks for the response!

Oct 25, 2017
I'll have to check it out sometime then. Sounds interesting!

Thanks for the response!
I recommend it. Besides having a cute story with charming characters it has fun hard as nails platforming, a flexible assist system to let you mitigate the game's difficulty, and a delightful soundtrack.

One of my favourite things I played this year.

Dec 21, 2017
Of all the places I would have thought of seeing this image, LOL
Hahahaha good thing i decided to go to sleep after that.

No, it's not Nintendo's fault people believed some baseless rumor.

It's just that people don't learn to take rumors with a grain of salt.
Yes, and to be fair i keep saying this all year (even though i wanted to believe):

All these Metroid rumors and even the Star Fox GP one keep appearing without a single proof, nothing concrete, basically someone throws it in and literally every leaker and even gaming websites immediately jump on board just for the clicks.

So do a favor to yourself, don't believe them. (anyone really, cause every time people start to dream just because X popular leaker said it)

That said Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 looked cool.

Slightly disappointed by the Smash DLC, it's more becoming a third party thing than anything else. Persona isn't coming to the Switch, so i'd have preferred a character from SMT series.

Claven

Game Localization
Verified
Aug 22, 2018
Could we have OP updated with the winners and new announcements?
People in Europe slept through the whole thing and fishing for info in 20 threads is no fun, it would be great if there was place where we can find it all.

Oct 25, 2017
The Game Awards will never truly be seen as legit until it stops being a gaming advertisement reel pretending to be an awards show. The focus on ads and trailer reveals is so gross.
The Game Awards wouldn't exist without the ads and trailer reveals. They are what fund the show. A "legit" gaming awards show, in the vein of the Oscars, would draw about 12 viewers.

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
Trying to catch up on announcements but can't find a list of who won awards anywhere.

Anyone got a link up who won what?
Borrowed from this post by FriskyTanuki over at cheapassgamer:

Award Recap:

• Best Action Game: Dead Cells
  • Best RPG: Monster Hunter World - Some new, related announcement in a few days
  • Best Student Game: Combat 2018
  • Best Narrative: Red Dead Redemption 2
  • Industry Icon Award - Greg Thomas, Visual Concepts
  • Best Performance - Roger Clark, Red Dead Redemption 2
  • Best Score/Music: Red Dead Redemption 2
  • Best Audio Design: Red Dead Redemption 2
  • Best Art Direction: Return of the Obra Dinn
  • Best Mobile Game: Florence
  • Best VR/AR Game: Astro Bot Rescue Mission
  • Content Creator of the Year: Ninja
  • Best eSports Player: SonicFox
  • Best Debut Indie Game: The Messenger
  • Best Fighting Game: Dragon Ball FighterZ
  • Best Family Game: Overcooked 2
  • Best Strategy Game: Into the Breach
  • Best Independent Game: Celeste
  • Games for Impact: Celeste
  • Best Sports/Racing Game: Forza Horizon 4
  • Best Game Direction: God of War
  • Best Action Adventure Game: God of War
  • Best Ongoing Game: Fortnite
  • Best Multiplayer Game: Fortnite
  • Game of the Year: God of War
Announcements:

• Journey to the Savage Planet - PS4/XB1/PC
  • The Stanley Parable: Ultra Deluxe on consoles, PC
  • Among Trees - Steam Early Access 2019
  • Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 - Switch Exclusive - Team Ninja as developer
  • Rocket League - McLaren 570S Car Pack - Available Tonight
  • Far Cry New Dawn - Post apocalypse Far Cry - 2/15/19
  • Hades, new Supergiant games title - Epic games store Earl Access right now
  • Ancestors: The Humankind Odyssey - Patrice Desilet game (Assassin's Creed)
  • Scavengers
  • Dead by Daylight - Darkness Among Us
  • Crash Team Racing: Nitro Fueled - PS4/XB1/Switch - 6/21/19
  • The Outer Worlds - Obsidian's new RPG - PS4/XB1/PC - 2019
  • Dauntless - PS4/XB1/Epic
  • The Last Campfire - Hello Games short
  • PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds - Winter map - January on PS4/XB1
  • Atlas - Pirate MMO - PC/XB1 First
  • The Dread Wolf Rises
  • The Pathless - Giant Squid game (Abzu) - PS4/Epic
  • Survived By - Steam
  • Stranger Things 3: The Game - Switch/XB1/PC
  • Mortal Kombat 11 - 4/23/19
  • Psychonauts 2 - 2019
  • Fortnite The Block, Creation Mode
  • Rage 2 - 5/14/19
  • Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - Persona 5's Joker as DLC character

Oct 28, 2017
Good choices for the winners.
Happy for Celeste and Into The Breach.
No Metroid or Bayonetta though but Nintendo gotta maximize Smash sales.

Oct 31, 2017
Wasnt expecting Marvel Ultimate ALliance 3, really excited about it!

Also, almost had an heart attack when Joker appeared. Will buy the godamn dlc but man, was I expecting a Persona game lol