• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Is Metroid a sandwich?

• Yes

Votes: 1,316 78.8%
  • No

Votes: 354 21.2%

• Total voters

Carm

Oct 27, 2017
Indiana
So, since the thread has slowed down a bit, anyone know why this thread doesn't show up on the forums or can't be added to your watch list? Only way I found the thread was on the main forums portal where it has one thread linked under each section of the forums?

Deleted member 8674

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Metroid was never going to be announced outside of a Nintendo Direct. Fucking Persona in Smash was the real megaton of the night. I have never switched my opinion from "not buying" to "take my money now" so fast ever in my life. My jaw hit the floor when I saw the Smash logo.

With all the Nintendo characters not convince you to get the game, Joker announcement what changed your opinion? lol

Recluse

Oct 25, 2017
Not played any of the games mentioned tonight outside of the fighting category.

Was hoping for some cool reveal but eh, nothing really there for me either. It helped pass a few hours though, so... whatever.

Orbit

Banned
Nov 21, 2018
giphy.gif

dude/dudette...you are my hero for this! haha

edit: and who is the guy to the right who looks like he just walked off the set of a The Office episode?

corasaur

Oct 26, 2017
Sonicfox comments were great. More people need to make a habit of calling America's biggest hate group out on what it is instead of letting disingenuous fucks pretend it's a functional political party.

Also holy crap thought red dead was gonna sweep.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not going to stick around, I just wanted to say I thought the orchestra did a fantastic job tonight. FANTASTIC!

bigstef71

Banned
Jul 5, 2018
Chicago
More than that, we didn't even get any word on the Avengers game. Just that awful looking Switch excuse of a Marvel Ultimate alliance game. I'm fairly certain its using assets from one of the F2P or mobile games of recent, it looked very familiar.
It's a damn shame honestly. I've been waiting so long for that avengers game and that rocksteady. Every game awards and e3 I'm left disappointed because nothing is ever shown. I just want a good ensemble superhero game with a big budget. At this point I have no idea when they're going to show something. I was expecting allot I guess from these awards. Honestly the spike awards were probably better because we got Arkham city phantom pain and the last of us announcements in consecutive years I believe. Now everything gets leaked before the show and half the stuff is wrong. Yeah mu3 looks rough and I'm kinda irked it's exclusive to the switch because I really liked the first two games. They honestly probably took assets from the marvel heroes f2p that got shit down earlier this year

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Very good show. I feel like I might prefer last year's show a little more but at a certain point, it probably becomes the difference between how happy I was with the game announcements.

MasterChumly

Oct 25, 2017
Bought into the Nintendo hype and was extremely disappointed to see Reggie's big reveal of a DLC character...... I mean ok? You couldn't even announce persona 5 to go with it?

Bob Beat

Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys, I can't find the metroid announcement/video trailer thread. Did someone not post it? I missed it.

Jam

Oct 25, 2017
So are these "insiders" going to be allowed to carry on bullshitting fans with bollocks teases?

The teases were not at all subtle.

Yeah I'm tired of so called insiders.

I stick by these people should have their accounts held to account. If you want to be an 'insider' and tease then verify your position/source whatever with an admin. Sometimes plans change but if you're legit and unofficially verified that's fine.

Issue is with randoms just pretending to know stuff to feed the hype machine and there's no recourse for leading people on. If you make an unsubstantiated insider claim and refuse to verify with an admin, and it turns out to be wrong, you should get banned.

It's not even about entitlement, it's just tiresome at this point. I'm not even a switch owner who was hyped and expecting Prime to be there, but I totally understand their sentiment.

LabRat

Mar 16, 2018
it was a good show but in terms of announcements it was really disappointing. maybe i expected to much but a TGA without kojima and a long kojipro trailer doesn't feel right

also where was alien blackout and metroid? what about borderlands 3? i'm not even a fan of that series but wasn't there a lot of teasing about that?

Deleted member 2340

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The highlights of the game awards for me were Joker being announced for Smash, Ultimate Alliance for the Switch, and God of War winning game of the year. I'm happy for Cory it's well deserved and a fantastic game.

Oh! And Boy! Read it! Whatever he said. I lost it

mario_O

Nov 15, 2017
the best way to describe this show is: when ads pretend to be entertainment
the awards felt like filler content with geoff quickly reading the winners of many categories.

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017
That was a really great show this year! The production was smooth, engaging, and it kept moving a long without getting dragged down. I'm really pleased to see what TGA has become, and I can't wait to see what the future looks like for the show!

Ryu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That show was by far one of the worst i've ever seen, and that's not even because of Metroid missing its chance to shine, but because of overhyping the show to something that it simply wasn't. And that also coming from the person responsible himself.

It felt rushed as hell, big game announcements and shockers were nowhere to be seen. I liked the Joker reveal, but that's literally one character in a game. The rest "big" games were actually pretty small games. Good for them to have a place to shine, but for "big" surprises and "worlds will change" or whatever, it was overhyped.
Edit: Rushed in the sense of content sticked together too tight, some speaking too less, some to long and time fillers waaaaay to long. In a whole, too long show.

I don't even think i felt that bad after a single E3. The awards were more than predictable, with RDR2 and GOW fighting it out. As what i've seen right now, i will never watch that show again. It got hyped up so fucking much, but it is what it is, just giving out some awards with trying to fit in some ads for games.

For big game reveals, i will watch something else. This was literally 3 hours down the pipe for me.

Geoff said he will bring people to tears this time, and i think i'm literally close to cry because i want my precious wasted time back that i could've slept.

Last edited:

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
Right, this thread was kind of a fucking shit show with the "this is getting too long" shit after an hour. The orchestra was awesome, some great speeches, some touching moments, and some cool ass surprises like Joker. Why do people hype themselves up and watch a 3 hour show for a 30 second trailer of a game they already know is announced and coming. The hype machine on Era needs to be put in check.
Yeah. I didn't understand the length complaints. I thought the length of the show was good and the balance between content (awards, reveals, game music) was surprisingly good too. It's also probably really hard to navigate all the various changes in tone and they did a pretty good job with that too.

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
That's my thinking as well. I hope you guys at least learned your lesson. Don't waste your time watching this trash "award" show.

I hate myself for having watched this. I was naive enough to expect some decent announcements or trailers during the show. What a waste of time.

I don't understand how anyone can enjoy this.

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
Honestly the show was okay, but I probably won't watch next year(something that I probably said last year)

Last year was better, schick hydrostick and all. False rumours aren't the shows' fault it's yall fault

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
That was a really great show this year! The production was smooth, engaging, and it kept moving a long without getting dragged down. I'm really pleased to see what TGA has become, and I can't wait to see what the future looks like for the show!

Totally agreed! There are definitely things they can improve on (I'd like to see a few more awards get presented, personally) but I imagine it's incredibly difficult to find a perfect balance for something like this.

Some fun announcements too. The biggest disappointments come from rumors that people bought into and that's not the show's fault.

Apr 8, 2018
Overall, I thought it was one of best Game Awards to date. A bit disappointed that some game announcement rumors weren't true, but hey what can you do. Thanks for the show Geoff! Can't wait for next year!

ChaosXVI

Oct 25, 2017
Overall, it was a pretty solid show with some pretty strong reveals, but I think last year's show was better. No Death Stranding was a surprise...

But man, I won't even lie, this one stings hard. I usually don't go for insiders but it seemed like literally all of them were on the Metroid train so I bought in hard...

I'm so disappointed...I was counting down the hours to finally see my favorite series of all time again. I don't get what happened, it was the perfect audience for it. I doubt we'll see it until E3 now. No way they show first gameplay in a Direct outside of E3.

Last edited:

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think insiders or teasers need to be banned or blacklisted (what would blacklisting even mean?).

I do think there needs to be consideration as to why hype and emotion is allowed to endlessly fester in days-long speculation threads, just because of an anonymous 4Chan/Reddit post or somebody's cutesy coy Twitter hints. If there's nothing really backing these rumors up then just lock the thread before things get out of hand.

Somehow we went from SamusThumbsUp.GIF to "OMG Nintendo announcing Metroid Prime 1-3 HD Remaster on Thursday!"

Starvigil

Oct 30, 2017
Really great show. Expected it to be cringe, but it was good. The winners and performers were genuine and looked like they had a great time. The orchestra was amazing. Was really happy about obra Dinn, Astro bot, God of War, and sonicfox winning, among others.
I feel like this is what Geoff has been working towards the last years. Sort of like Kojima to finally be able to get all of the people he wanted into his game.
Only a few years ago he stood there in some crappy studio with Joel McHale saying stupid shit. And now he got Hans Fucking Zimmer, Russo Brothers, Jeff Kaplan, the CEOs of the big three, and half of Hollywood in there for.....video games.
Geoff Keighley loves this industry more than most on era do.

CDV13

Jan 30, 2018
Was a good watch from what I could tune into.

I must say though, it's like some of you have never watched an award show. This is how they go. Hell, none of the other ones really even have cool ass reveals or trailers. I don't know what I'm the world you get in your heads that make you think this is going to be some kind of E3 barrage all the time. It is an awards show with added bonus of reveals. Those reveals will vary in quality every year.

Also, getting pissed because there was no Metroid, based off of random rumors you chose to believe, is just hilarious.

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
I feel this show will be short lived.

Disappointment at some hyped games being missing won't sit well with some fans.

3 and a half hours (including preshow) is far, far too long.

There were some cool moments but I feel 0 desire tuning in ever again.

Last year's show was a good one. This year has me regretting the effort to stay up.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People overreacting and being assholes here towards the insiders for Metroid not happening are why the insiders don't do much or barely share info to begin with because they get attacked the moment they do or if something doesn't work out 100%. :V Very upsetting to see.
They need to keep it to their selves if they don't have it properly sourced.

And they should have a one strike policy, get de-modded and/or banned for shit like this. People lost sleep over their bullshit.

Uncleslappy

Oct 28, 2017
NJ
I really appreciated Geoff's passion for this. You could see him getting emotional when he announced the orchestra performing the gane awards theme. Award shows are a weird format, and there's always awkward moments, but Geoff and his team put on an amazing, classy show that really respected the medium, and we got some cool announcements out of it.

This makes me proud of my favorite hobby.

Conrad Link

Oct 29, 2017
New Zealand
I'd love the 'insiders' to get called out for their stringing people along bullshit but they'll just brush it off going "Sorry guys my source said plans change you know?" or something like that and we'll go through the whole song and dance again next time there is something to pretend hype for clicks.

I WANTED METROID FFS. :(

Just gimme a Direct with Animal Crossing and Metroid and I'll feel better.