• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Is Metroid a sandwich?

• Yes

Votes: 1,316 78.8%
  • No

Votes: 354 21.2%

• Total voters

malik180

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Really great show. Expected it to be cringe, but it was good. The winners and performers were genuine and looked like they had a great time. The orchestra was amazing. Was really happy about obra Dinn, Astro bot, God of War, and sonicfox winning, among others.
I feel like this is what Geoff has been working towards the last years. Sort of like Kojima to finally be able to get all of the people he wanted into his game.
Only a few years ago he stood there in some crappy studio with Joel McHale saying stupid shit. And now he got Hans Fucking Zimmer, Russo Brothers, Jeff Kaplan, the CEOs of the big three, and half of Hollywood in there for.....video games.
Geoff Keighley loves this industry more than most on era do.
Getting people in from Hollywood that don't even give a sh*t about gaming isn't the way to go . Looking at a half drunk Jonah Hill giving away an industry icon award isn't pleasing to me or most of the gamers around the world I hope. Got to say the best segments were from Facebook gaming which were ads I presume

Oct 27, 2017
From marketing standpoint it makes sense that the game was a no show with Smash launching today. Why send mix marketing? Reggie was there to sell a product coming out immediately. I had hoped there would be something today as well but early next year let's see where we are by the second week of Jan.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Dayum, the Smash announcement is dominating Twitter's Worldwide trends with more than 600K tweets. I think it's fair to say it was the show's megaton and it wasn't even close.

For comparison's sake, Derrick Henry is at 99K (123K if you add "Jags").

Last edited:

Deleted member 11182

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's not Nintendo's responsibility to shoot down every baseless rumor surrounding their software.

I disagree. The Metroid-TGA rumor specifically was very prominent and enduring. It concerns a considerable subset of their fan base. I'm sure Treehouse has been aware of it. Something laconic like "We have no plans to show anything Metroid related at TGA" would have sufficed.

Brucey

Jan 2, 2018
The best show in terms of pacing and flow. Much better advertisement segments as well. Bit weaker in terms of reveals but not by a whole lot. Only suggestion would be to completely axe the developer interviews. If you decide to throw up a cgi trailer that shows nothing you shouldn't be allowed to then talk it up with buzzwords trying to convince people to be interested in a game that doesn't yet really exist to us.

The interviews with people like Reggie Shawn and Phil are totally fine imo if they're geared toward talking about the industry as a whole and the direction they intend to go in a meaningful way. But most of the interviews came off like Geoff was playing PR setup man. Totally unnecessary and every time it happened I'd mentally tune out.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Get in God of War of Boy of Dad. So well deserved. My favourite game ever beating the last of us. But they got robbed out of that music award. But 2 awards plus the main one I'll take that. What a year for the ps4, what a time to be alive.

AAnd lol at spidey getting nominated for everything but winning nothing. Life is cruel!

Black Ops 5?

-PyramidSong

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Argentina
K08HrPE.gif
Lmaooooo

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I disagree. The Metroid-TGA rumor specifically was very prominent and enduring. It concerns a considerable subset of their fan base. I'm sure Treehouse has been aware of it. Something laconic like "We have no plans to show anything Metroid related at TGA" would have sufficed.

We'll simply have to agree to disagree.

Piggus

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
Pretty amazing how far this show has come. Fantastic production values and good pacing. Great job Geoff! Looking forward to next year.

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
Might get flack for this, but I think Nintendo chose the right things to announce here as far as timing.

Avengers fever is HIGH. Especially if we're getting the trailer tomorrow. Smart to announce the Ultimate Alliance game here. They'll definitely be giving it a full marketing push. It's a HUGE get for them and since they're publishing it, it must be one of their big games for next year.

And Smash launched mere minutes after that Joker trailer. It was brilliantly timed, really. The hype is incredible and the internet has reacted really positively to his inclusion.

Would I have loved Metroid? Of course. But what we saw tonight was nice. We'll see Metroid in due time.

dreamfall

Oct 25, 2017
The show was awesome! Geoff and his team continue to get better every year - those orchestral arrangements were absolutely phenomenal. I heartily enjoyed my annual tradition of smoking a bit of hookah and enjoying the festivities of it all!

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Dayum, the Smash announcement is dominating Twitter's Worldwide trends with more than 600K tweets. I think it's fair to say it was the show's megaton and it wasn't even close.

For comparison's sake, Derrick Henry is at 99K (123K if you add "Jags").
The twitter home page is covered with God of War stuff. Smash is launching tonight so a lot of the tweets are for the launch not from the game awards.

God of War beating RDR2 is a legit megaton and well-deserved. My favourite game ever beating the last of us.

Aftervirtue

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
I mean other than not having Metroid what was wrong with the event? It wasn't hollow or soulless. It felt genuine. The people seemed happy to be there and to accept the awards.

I get there probably wasn't anything like Bayonetta 1+2 and Bayonetta 3, or the From Software teaser or a death stranding trailer like last year, that was some truely epic shit.....and won't ever be topped honestly. But we did get

A Crash Team Racing reboot!
The Outer Worlds
Persona x Smash! That's fucking huge.

So yeah I enjoyed it.

StormEagle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
If they shut it down now they will have to shut down every rumor (true or false) in the future or people will know a rumor is true if they don't shut it down. And will bring more work for them and ill will when they deny rumors that turn out to be true shortly after.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
As a dev, I really enjoyed the show this year. There was good balance between premiere videos, giving devs time to talk with the awards, and the musical bits. I found the GGC bits to be really great as they showcased some really cool people.

There wasn't much cringe at all. At least, there was mostly only cringe in the "this is an award show" sense. I'm glad this seems to be trending in the right direction. I'm just genuinely happy to see members of the dev community get recognition on a stage like this.

Was every trailer I wanted to see shown? No. But man there was a whole lot of really cool looking stuff I didn't even know about.

Overall really enjoyed it. Kudos to Geoff Keighley for putting this on and improving on it year after year.

nStruct

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Seattle, WA
I thought the show was great. They have really improved the pacing between awards and announcements, it was the smoothest it's ever been. And God of War winning GOTY is the cherry on top.

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Biggest disappointments of the night:

1. No Death Stranding
2. No Metroid Prime 4
3. No Avengers

Highlights:

1. God of war winning GOTY, talent wins etc etc
2. The 3 console kings together
3. The RDR2 music orchestra

Cringe awards:

1. My Devil Trigger live
2. The best e-sports player fox something (though I really liked him)
3. Joseph Fares again

Deleted member 11182

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If they shut it down now they will have to shut down every rumor (true or false) in the future or people will know a rumor is true if they don't shut it down. And will bring more work for them and ill will when they deny rumors that turn out to be true shortly after.

Not every rumor. Only the biggest, most fake ones. I just think they need some kind of an internal mechanism to deal with these things so that long-time fans like me who are invested aren't left feeling bitter and disappointed. It's literally just a message on the treehouse twitter account. That's all it would take.

I don't understand why this event was important enough for Reggie to show up to it.

Exactly.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The twitter home page is covered with God of War stuff. Smash is launching tonight so a lot of the tweets are for the launch not from the game awards.

God of War beating RDR2 is a legit megaton and well-deserved. My favourite game ever beating the last of us.
Even if you remove all the tweets that contain "Smash", the announcement is still at 296K tweets -- second only to the awards' hashtag. God of War is at 62K.

Hero of Time

Oct 25, 2017
Outer Worlds was the only exciting "new" premiere for me, looking forward to that one. Happy that God of War won GOTY and the orchestra performances were cool. CG trailers for games where you don't even know what the hell it is didn't do anything for me.

Disappointed about no Metroid, since it seemed like lots of people were teasing it like a sure thing. But I don't blame the show or Nintendo for that one.

Last edited:

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Still salty RDR2 won ost. Octopath ost is freaking insanely high quality. One of the best RPG ost's of all time

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Just caught up.

The announcement I'd have been most hyped for was Ultimate Alliance 3, but I got monkey's pawed! Congrats to Nintendo for that get. Crazy stuff.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Didn't see it, but congrats to Monster Hunter, Celeste, and Fortnite for the awards they won!

Also, will probably look at Florence now.

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Not every rumor. Only the biggest, most fake ones. I just think they need some kind of an internal mechanism to deal with these things so that long-time fans like me who are invested aren't left feeling bitter and disappointed. It's literally just a message on the treehouse twitter account. That's all it would take.

Exactly.
Blizzard got ahead of Diablo 4 not being at Blizzcon and people still got unreasonably upset that it wasn't there when the conference ended. Regardless of whether or not Nintendo says anything there are going to be a decent number of people that will choose to believe what they want, and then when their expectations aren't met they will still get unreasonably upset.

DeadlyVirus

Oct 29, 2017
Managing expectations is a part of any big publisher's job.

Notice how a company like Rocksteady just went ahead and cleared the air about their next game NOT premiering at the TGAs. Blizzard went ahead and confirmed Diablo 4 would be a no-show at Blizzcon.
Notice how From Software didn't say anything about Bloodborne 2. Or Kojima about Death Stranding.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Cool, but I'm talking about worldwide trends only. And even with the 120K..... still not close. It's literally taking 5/10 spots.
I'm not an expert on twitter but when I set it to WW trends the feature at the top is god of war and number 2 behind the game awards itself is God of war. I don't know how their algorithm works but they view God of war as more important.