• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Is Metroid a sandwich?

• Yes

Votes: 1,316 78.8%
  • No

Votes: 354 21.2%

• Total voters

Deleted member 11182

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Blizzard got ahead of Diablo 4 not being at Blizzcon and people still got unreasonably upset that it wasn't there when the conference ended. Regardless of whether or not Nintendo says anything there are going to be a decent number of people that will choose to believe what they want, and then when their expectations aren't met they will still get unreasonably upset.

No, if they say something is not happening and stick to their word then people like me will eventually learn to take their word for granted.

Oct 25, 2017
K08HrPE.gif
WTF lol

Asriel

Dec 7, 2017
The Game Awards will never truly be seen as legit until it stops being a gaming advertisement reel pretending to be an awards show. The focus on ads and trailer reveals is so gross.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not an expert on twitter but when I set it to WW trends the feature at the top is god of war and number 2 behind the game awards itself is God of war. I don't know how their algorithm works but they view God of war as more important.
That's because the Smash announcement is being divided into several parts (Edit: and to be fair, so is GoW, but the Smash "pieces" are large enough to take half of the Worldwide trends spots). Smash + Persona 5 + Joker + ペルソナ (Persona) + ジョーカー (Joker), and so on.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Notice how From Software didn't say anything about Bloodborne 2. Or Kojima about Death Stranding.
Neither of those were heavily rumored to make an appearance.

Even still, Kojima tweeted that he was not attending the TGAs yesterday.....which pretty much everyone understood to mean that Death Stranding would be a no-show:

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
No, if they say something is not happening and stick to their word then people like me will eventually learn to take their word for granted.
"They need to debunk rumors, but I still won't believe what they say because of course they would say that, unless they do it multiple times, but what if there's a chance they're lying this time"

Deleted member 11182

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"They need to debunk rumors, but I still won't believe what they say because of course they would say that, unless they do it multiple times, but what if there's a chance they're lying this time"

Hm, that's rude. Stop trying to put words in my mouth. I don't care enough to try to convince you. I've made my point, I'm done for now.

StormEagle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Not every rumor. Only the biggest, most fake ones. I just think they need some kind of an internal mechanism to deal with these things so that long-time fans like me who are invested aren't left feeling bitter and disappointed. It's literally just a message on the treehouse twitter account. That's all it would take.
But then they would still have to comment on every rumor and giveaway their reveals. Where is the line for how big a rumor has to be? Anything they don't shutdown will be seen as verified but at least some which will lead to the rumor growing until it eventually passes any arbitrary threshold. Nintendo, like any company, does not comment on rumors precisely for people like you to get burnt and stop trusting random (or specific) people on the internet. Don't blame Nintendo for misleading you. They never did. The people who mislead you are the person starting the leak and yourself for believing it. This also holds true for leaks/rumors of other companies.
I am a bit disappointed myself that we did not get to see anything about Metroid. But I don't blame Nintendo for it. At least not more than any other random day without news about Metroid.
And Reggie was there because Nintendo is one of the main sponsors of this event, if I remember correctly.

Deleted member 16657

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Would anyone happen to know why Spider-Man wasn't a nomination for Best Action? It ended up not winning any awards but I think it would have easily won Best Action if it was actually in the category.

Fantastical

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like a lot of shows have been very disappointing recently. Maybe it's just the spread out nature of announcements now, though.

JangleLuke

Oct 4, 2018
Wait, I just woke up, they didn't announce anything Metroid related?
HAHAHAHAHHAA.

(Joker in Smash tho, wow.)

Nov 4, 2017
Are we starting a new thread to list who was robbed?

It was Christopher Judge...

Interesting show, I could only listen to it because I was at work. I look forward to seeing some video recaps later.

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Hm, that's rude. Stop trying to put words in my mouth. I don't care enough to try to convince you. I've made my point, I'm done for now.
Did you not say "people like me will eventually learn to take their word for granted"? Implying that even if they were to debunk a rumour, you wouldn't believe them until they met some arbitrary metric of yours?

Deleted member 11182

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Did you not say "people like me will eventually learn to take their word for granted"? Implying that even if they were to debunk a rumour, you wouldn't believe them until they met some arbitrary metric of yours?

As it happens they have a bad track record of occasionally shooting down a rumor and then doing the opposite. It doesn't mean they can't find a different way of doing things in the future. And they do need to do things differently, there's space for improvement.

Deleted member 41271

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
Celeste winning an award is good - even two, nice. Should've been game of the year tho. :P

Yes. Please do so. Start doing so right away, in fact. If gamers in general could actually DO this, we'd be spared so many stupid outrages (like the Diablo one). If a company says "no x", believing otherwise and then raging is just silly.

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
No, it's not Nintendo's fault people believed some baseless rumor.

It's just that people don't learn to take rumors with a grain of salt.

ry-dog

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That was bad, who thought a smash DLC fighter was worth dimming the lights Cyber Punk style for.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I was super sad at the lack of Metroid but the show itself was incredibly well done. It didn't drag at any moment (well, maybe the DMC song..yikes) and just generally felt very professional. Absolutely the best one yet despite what was largely underwhelming game reveals for me. Joker in Smash was a very cool surprise though. Hopefully they put P5 on it..I'd probably double dip.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Neither of those were heavily rumored to make an appearance.

Even still, Kojima tweeted that he was not attending the TGAs yesterday.....which pretty much everyone understood to mean that Death Stranding would be a no-show:

Kojima has a history of horsing around/lying about these kinds of things for effect. A tweet like that shouldn't be trusted when Geoff responded to it with 🌈.

Speaking of that emoji, Geoff and Kojima were having a back and forth on Twitter in the lead up to TGAs using that Death Stranding rainbow emoji motif, and even The Game Awards twitter account replied to Kojima with the rainbow. The Game Awards trailer had massive Death Stranding related themes such as the explosion and the rising rock particles that have been present in previous Death Stranding trailers, as you can see here:

giphy-downsized-large.gif

No matter the spin, Geoff and Kojima teased it heavily in the lead up. Kojima only bothered to seriously inform people in detail about his (and Death Stranding's) absence from the TGAs, after it had finished. It reminds me of that story of boy who cried wolf. Pretty disappointing.

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
As it happens they have a bad track record of occasionally shooting down a rumor and then doing the opposite. It doesn't mean they can't find a different way of doing things in the future. And they do need to do things differently, there's space for improvement.
What needs to be done differently is that people need to learn to check their hype so that we don't have people posting meltdowns every time something doesn't go the way they expected based off of something they heard. Hearing a rumor and holding out some small hope for it to be true, but being mildly disappointed in the end is fine. Calling for heads over a bogus roster leak or a fucking trailer not showing up is childish as hell.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Polite Disagree. It was long winded and full of constant ads and cringe.

Maybe I'm just getting old but it was more a celebration of marketing than it was gaming. Epic swinging its money around constantly and a PUBG Trailer followed by a PUBG Trailer? Really?
These were ad breaks — the show has to get paid for somehow. It's very common for the same car commercial to air five times during a sporting event. This was no different.

Deleted member 11182

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What needs to be done differently is that people need to learn to check their hype so that we don't have people posting meltdowns every time something doesn't go the way they expected based off of something they heard. Hearing a rumor and holding out some small hope for it to be true, but being mildly disappointed in the end is fine. Calling for heads over a bogus roster leak or a fucking trailer not showing up is childish as hell.

I didn't ask for anyone's head, not sure why you said that. It's much easier for a corporation to refine their tactics than it is to change people.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
So I was in the Boogie thread earlier and I must say that the show did good, based on what I catched from it. I was hoping charity/raising awareness and the show did highlight some good things. Also there was decent amount of diversity on stage. I think the show overall was positive vibes. So thanks for the show Geoff Keighley, you did good.

Edit: Was Aisha Tyler there though? I couldn't catch the whole show and didn't see her.

Last edited:

>__

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 28, 2018
Honestly the reveals were surprisingly good:
Obsidian game
Smash challenger
CTR
MK11

Hope they can build off for an even better next year or keep it around the same. With next gen coming soon and big games coming in 2019, 2019 should be better.

Nihilus

Oct 28, 2017
Was not expecting but TGA is much more better than any gaming event e3 included. MK11, Outer Worlds, M:UA3... really good stuff

Oct 25, 2017
That show was by far one of the worst i've ever seen, and that's not even because of Metroid missing its chance to shine, but because of overhyping the show to something that it simply wasn't. And that also coming from the person responsible himself.

It felt rushed as hell, big game announcements and shockers were nowhere to be seen. I liked the Joker reveal, but that's literally one character in a game. The rest "big" games were actually pretty small games. Good for them to have a place to shine, but for "big" surprises and "worlds will change" or whatever, it was overhyped.
Edit: Rushed in the sense of content sticked together too tight, some speaking too less, some to long and time fillers waaaaay to long. In a whole, too long show.

I don't even think i felt that bad after a single E3. The awards were more than predictable, with RDR2 and GOW fighting it out. As what i've seen right now, i will never watch that show again. It got hyped up so fucking much, but it is what it is, just giving out some awards with trying to fit in some ads for games.

For big game reveals, i will watch something else. This was literally 3 hours down the pipe for me.

Geoff said he will bring people to tears this time, and i think i'm literally close to cry because i want my precious wasted time back that i could've slept.

This generation is basically over. Not sure why you expected a lot of big game announcements.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As the show wrapped up, let's see what worked and what didn't for me:

What worked
- Announcements: Sure, some of the stuff was leaked or teased already, but a new Marvel Ultimate Alliance out of nowhere? A new Mortal Kombat? A new post-apocalyptic Far Cry? Obsidian's new old-school-Fallout-meet-Borderlands RPG? Below and Ashen not only coming now but even part of Game Pass? The CTR Remake as a multiplatform game from the start, too? A new Dragon Age? Tons of exciting indies? Impressive, absolutely impressive.
- Something for all platforms: Looking at the announcements again, I feel like whether you own an Xbox One, a Switch, a PS4, a PC (unless you're a Steam devotee, heh) or are waiting for next-gen consoles, you kinda have plenty of things to look forward regardless, both in terms of exclusives and third parties. Sure, there were things missing (Metroid Prime, where art thou) but as someone who owns most platforms I walked away pretty confident about the next months/years of gaming after seeing these things, knowing fully well there's a lot of other things coming up we didn't see today (most Sony exclusives, Microsoft's long-term games like Halo and Fable, closer releases like Metro, etc.).
- The format: A pretty relentless barrage of announcements, awards, interviews and then some. Geoff held the stage well for most of the time, and the 3 hours runtime of the show felt definitely shorter given how action-packed it all was - and trust me, I would have felt if it was boring considering I woke up before 3am to watch this, so I was quite sleepy.

What sort of worked
- The orchestra: Having a full-blown orchestra doing classical renditions of videogame music is awesome and definitely adds value to the show. It's too bad they mainly preferred concentrating on the same refrains of the same games. I did not play RDR2 but by the end of the show I must have heard its theme song (or its most iconic song or whatever that is) like 5 times.
- Console war over?: Having some of the top men from Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo on the same stage at the same practically finishing each others' phrases is quite the memorable and potentially important moment, but I felt that they haven't said anything particularly meaningful or impactful for it to really matter. They could have made major points about inclusiveness, cross-play and such, but it felt like generic "gaming's awesome" prep talk. Could have been better.
- Smash x Persona: I understand this is a big deal for Persona fans, but wasting a fake blackout announcement out of nowhere for a DLC character seems like a missed opportunity, such a slot could have been used for a huge reveal like that Obsidian game or something. Last time such a fake "hacking the scene" thing happened at a major event we had a world premiere reveal of Cyberpunk 2077, which was quite a bigger deal.

What didn't work
- Awards remain the least exciting part: When your big hyped blockbusters of the year scoop up 80% of the eligible awards again, it becomes far less exciting. There's so little chances for outlier wins in this show, which is too bad. It's like you could know what games were going to be picked for all major categories (bar a few indies like Celeste) without fail prior to their release: RDR2 was always gonna win half the awards, Forza was always going to be nominated meaningfully only as a racer and not as a "game", Fortnite and its streamers were obviously getting a huge advantage from the get go, and so on. Predictable and not particularly exciting.
- Forced gamer humor: When all your VIPs force the same Fortnite jokes or talk about their hardcore "gamer" past when they clearly have no fucking clue about what the consoles and games were called, it becomes rather obvious they're in this for some quick cash and have little to do with gaming. There are actual VIPs, sports players, celebrities who actively game, but apparently they preferred kinda faking it out instead. Too bad.
- Inclusiveness: They clearly tried hard to get some positive message across, but not only SonicFox's speech was trying a bit too hard, but even worse they decided to honour a mysogynist and toxic player like Ninja, plus showering RDR2 with awards where even an actual person who worked on it went on stage and "jokingly" reminded us that he worked late hours on many days for this title. When they so openly support toxic behaviours it comes off as fake and forced when they try and push positive messages unfortunately - too bad because there were some good ones, like the whole section with female devs or that disabled gamer (I'm sorry I don't know the name, I don't follow gaming personalities much).

Overall, this was a fine show. The awards were mostly predictable and straightforward, but even with the leaks Geoff delivered on his promise and brought us tons of exciting new games we've never seen before, which is not easy given how leaky today's industry is. The pace of the show was good, and while there were some questionable moments and choices, plus maybe a few disappointments based on odd rumors (good thing for me I care little about Metroid), I feel like it was one of the strongest live gaming shows I remember watching in this decade. There's definitely a lot to work on, especially to make the gamer culture feel less cringey on live TV, but I was entertained and overall satisfied. It was worth waking up at 3am and sleeping like 3 hours all night with work to do today.

Tetrinski

Banned
May 17, 2018
Where can I find a good recap of all the trailers? Missed it for work and don´t care about the awards themselves.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
That's because the Smash announcement is being divided into several parts (Edit: and to be fair, so is GoW, but the Smash "pieces" are large enough to take half of the Worldwide trends spots). Smash + Persona 5 + Joker + ペルソナ (Persona) + ジョーカー (Joker), and so on.

As I said I'm no twitter expert so I'll take your word for it. If true then that's insane publicity persona 5 just got. I know it already sold very well but it should get a nice boost of sales from all this.

jariw

Oct 27, 2017
Fuel how? If they phrased their message in such a way that leaves no doubt over the presence of Metroid in TGA there would be little room for discussion.

So when Nintendo said (for multiple E3 shows now) that they will focus on games "releasing this year", people stopped discussing and stopped with outrageous "predictions" for E3?

Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley
That was bad, who thought a smash DLC fighter was worth dimming the lights Cyber Punk style for.
Guess you have no knowledge of Persona 5, eh? That was straight out of the game. Also, probably the biggest "news" that came out. For how boring the show felt to a lot of people, that seems to be the one that has folks "shook".

Personally I thought it was just okay. Feels like they spent too much time with guests up front and that reduced the time some of the main awards winners had later on. The industry icon award was cool, and the RDR2 performance was neat, but overall I felt like some of it was a bit odd like omitting games in certain categories so other games could win? Idk, felt weird.

BIGLukas

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Overall the show was good for me. The format worked well enough, the musical performances were good imo. Some genuinely cool looking games got shown. I got what I was hoping for with Obsidian's new game and MK11. I don't play Persona or Smash but that was still a cool announcement to see, and a great get for the show.
It may helped that I watched it with friends this time so it was harder to be bored.

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
Nah he was making it seem like it was finally going to be announced. Between his tweets and Borderlands 2 PSVR, it seemed like the series was making a big comeback
I think he has one shot of presenting Borderlands 3, just right. One wrong move and itll get swallowed whole. Just this show alone had 3 post apocalyptic 1st person shooters, all look fantastic. Whoever they are partnering with (Sony?) for marketing probably shut it down to wait for a bigger stage.

He just better make sure BL3 is off the fkn hook, cause Far Cry: New Dawn, Rage 2 and The Outer Worlds are looking pretty good.

Deleted member 12186

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Question.

I'm watching the award ceremony after the fact(I was busy at the time). The guy for celeste said if the game helps you with mental illness then that was on you since the change came from inside(good stuff). What I was wondering is what about that game is about mental illness? I thought it was some platformer and I'm assuming there's some story to it now.

TI92

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
phew, had to leave about halfway through and just finished it. What a goddamn good show Geoff.

Now when is Persona and The Outer Worlds going to be announced for Switch :)