• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Is Metroid a sandwich?

• Yes

Votes: 1,316 78.8%
  • No

Votes: 354 21.2%

• Total voters

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
The Game Awards will never truly be seen as legit until it stops being a gaming advertisement reel pretending to be an awards show. The focus on ads and trailer reveals is so gross.

But that's what it is intend to be and people love it. See how many comments are about stuff that wasn't even shown?

I mean, I don't think the Oscars is a good show or anything but at least there aren't comments like "why wasn't the new infinity wars trailer shown!!" on the day after.

This is a marketing event and people love it because gaming culture is all about hype cycles and people getting excited for logos and brands and all of that. It's the culture video games have.

What annoys me the most is, despite this, people wanting to claim how this is a serious award show like the Oscars and how it's so legitimate and all of that. Again, the Oscars are a low bar and all of that but comparing this to the Oscars just makes this look bad. Just call it a marketing event and give GOTY so people can fight about it and call it a day.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Question.

I'm watching the award ceremony after the fact(I was busy at the time). The guy for celeste said if the game helps you with mental illness then that was on you since the change came from inside(good stuff). What I was wondering is what about that game is about mental illness? I thought it was some platformer and I'm assuming there's some story to it now.
The game uses Celeste Mountain, its setting, as something of a metaphor for both our own and the main character Madeline's struggles with self acceptance and dealing with depression, anxiety, and other mental disorders. The game includes all sorts of story beats that show off the main characters insecurities and vulnerabilities, and the internal and external sources of them. Sometimes this metaphor works, sometimes it seems a little strained.
She goes beyond self acceptance to treating her own strong overpowering negative emotions as a partner. Madeline befriends her own negativity. This always rung hollow to me. I don't suffer from depression or anxiety like this, but I can't imagine warming up to your own self loathing.

Despite the fact that the metaphor seemed at times strained, the story was touching and I don't doubt many people found a little comfort in it. I enjoyed it quite a bit myself.

Deleted member 12186

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The game uses Celeste Mountain, its setting, as something of a metaphor for both our own and the main character Madeline's struggles with self acceptance and dealing with depression, anxiety, and other mental disorders. The game includes all sorts of story beats that show off the main characters insecurities and vulnerabilities, and the internal and external sources of them. Sometimes this metaphor works, sometimes it seems a little strained.
She goes beyond self acceptance to treating her own strong overpowering negative emotions as a partner. Madeline befriends her own negativity. This always rung hollow to me. I don't suffer from depression or anxiety like this, but I can't imagine warming up to your own self loathing.

Despite the fact that the metaphor seemed at times strained, the story was touching and I don't doubt many people found a little comfort in it. I enjoyed it quite a bit myself.
I'll have to check it out sometime then. Sounds interesting!

Thanks for the response!

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'll have to check it out sometime then. Sounds interesting!

Thanks for the response!
I recommend it. Besides having a cute story with charming characters it has fun hard as nails platforming, a flexible assist system to let you mitigate the game's difficulty, and a delightful soundtrack.

One of my favourite things I played this year.

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Of all the places I would have thought of seeing this image, LOL

Hahahaha good thing i decided to go to sleep after that.

No, it's not Nintendo's fault people believed some baseless rumor.

It's just that people don't learn to take rumors with a grain of salt.

Yes, and to be fair i keep saying this all year (even though i wanted to believe):

All these Metroid rumors and even the Star Fox GP one keep appearing without a single proof, nothing concrete, basically someone throws it in and literally every leaker and even gaming websites immediately jump on board just for the clicks.

So do a favor to yourself, don't believe them. (anyone really, cause every time people start to dream just because X popular leaker said it)

That said Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 looked cool.

Slightly disappointed by the Smash DLC, it's more becoming a third party thing than anything else. Persona isn't coming to the Switch, so i'd have preferred a character from SMT series.

Django.Mango

Jan 31, 2018
Is there any listed summary of announcements available as i dont have the urge to watch the whole show for these informations?

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Could we have OP updated with the winners and new announcements?
People in Europe slept through the whole thing and fishing for info in 20 threads is no fun, it would be great if there was place where we can find it all.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
The Game Awards will never truly be seen as legit until it stops being a gaming advertisement reel pretending to be an awards show. The focus on ads and trailer reveals is so gross.

The Game Awards wouldn't exist without the ads and trailer reveals. They are what fund the show. A "legit" gaming awards show, in the vein of the Oscars, would draw about 12 viewers.

RiPPn

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
Trying to catch up on announcements but can't find a list of who won awards anywhere.

Anyone got a link up who won what?
Borrowed from this post by FriskyTanuki over at cheapassgamer:

Award Recap:

• Best Action Game: Dead Cells
  • Best RPG: Monster Hunter World - Some new, related announcement in a few days
  • Best Student Game: Combat 2018
  • Best Narrative: Red Dead Redemption 2
  • Industry Icon Award - Greg Thomas, Visual Concepts
  • Best Performance - Roger Clark, Red Dead Redemption 2
  • Best Score/Music: Red Dead Redemption 2
  • Best Audio Design: Red Dead Redemption 2
  • Best Art Direction: Return of the Obra Dinn
  • Best Mobile Game: Florence
  • Best VR/AR Game: Astro Bot Rescue Mission
  • Content Creator of the Year: Ninja
  • Best eSports Player: SonicFox
  • Best Debut Indie Game: The Messenger
  • Best Fighting Game: Dragon Ball FighterZ
  • Best Family Game: Overcooked 2
  • Best Strategy Game: Into the Breach
  • Best Independent Game: Celeste
  • Games for Impact: Celeste
  • Best Sports/Racing Game: Forza Horizon 4
  • Best Game Direction: God of War
  • Best Action Adventure Game: God of War
  • Best Ongoing Game: Fortnite
  • Best Multiplayer Game: Fortnite
  • Game of the Year: God of War
Announcements:

• Journey to the Savage Planet - PS4/XB1/PC
  • The Stanley Parable: Ultra Deluxe on consoles, PC
  • Among Trees - Steam Early Access 2019
  • Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 - Switch Exclusive - Team Ninja as developer
  • Rocket League - McLaren 570S Car Pack - Available Tonight
  • Far Cry New Dawn - Post apocalypse Far Cry - 2/15/19
  • Hades, new Supergiant games title - Epic games store Earl Access right now
  • Ancestors: The Humankind Odyssey - Patrice Desilet game (Assassin's Creed)
  • Scavengers
  • Dead by Daylight - Darkness Among Us
  • Crash Team Racing: Nitro Fueled - PS4/XB1/Switch - 6/21/19
  • The Outer Worlds - Obsidian's new RPG - PS4/XB1/PC - 2019
  • Dauntless - PS4/XB1/Epic
  • The Last Campfire - Hello Games short
  • PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds - Winter map - January on PS4/XB1
  • Atlas - Pirate MMO - PC/XB1 First
  • The Dread Wolf Rises
  • The Pathless - Giant Squid game (Abzu) - PS4/Epic
  • Survived By - Steam
  • Stranger Things 3: The Game - Switch/XB1/PC
  • Mortal Kombat 11 - 4/23/19
  • Psychonauts 2 - 2019
  • Fortnite The Block, Creation Mode
  • Rage 2 - 5/14/19
  • Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - Persona 5's Joker as DLC character

Phabh

Oct 28, 2017
Good choices for the winners.
Happy for Celeste and Into The Breach.
No Metroid or Bayonetta though but Nintendo gotta maximize Smash sales.

Chackan

Oct 31, 2017
Wasnt expecting Marvel Ultimate ALliance 3, really excited about it!

Also, almost had an heart attack when Joker appeared. Will buy the godamn dlc but man, was I expecting a Persona game lol

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
The MK11 reveal pretty much confirms that WB is not going to reveal anything unless its ready to go within 6 months or less. Its an approach I can respect even if I don't like because I really want to freaking know what Rocksteady working on XD
They probably want to avoid the conundrum of Arkham Knight's delays.

ry-dog

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A completely out-of-left-field character reveal for the biggest fighting game in the world and one of the biggest releases of the year? Yeah why bother

Fortnite season 7 was a bigger announcement and that would have been just as disappointing as the final reveal. As someone not into smash that was about as exciting as a Forza car pack announcement

tiebreaker

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of fluffs. Guess it's expected for an award show.

But really, the show has been hyped to hell with Metroid Prime, Death Stranding, WB games, and a bunch of others before they all announced their non attendence.

At least we got CTR announcement!

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
A lot of fluffs. Guess it's expected for an award show.

But really, the show has been hyped to hell with Metroid Prime, Death Stranding, WB games, and a bunch of others before they all announced their non attendence.

At least we got CTR announcement!

We got a WB game. And Death Stranding has been at this show two years in a row.

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
On the lead up to EVERYTHING video game related why does the internet always hype up stuff to be more than the sum of its parts and it always ends up being disappointing. Particularly this forum is bad on this. Happens. Every. Time.

None of the stuff they announced was anything special or mind blowing or stuff we didn't know about already.. It wasn't much like the leaks either. All those rumours of stuff like Metroid Prime never even happened and the internet and this forum got hyped for it wasting everyone's time posting and speculating about nothing and making it more than the sum of its parts.

Other games stuff known or years away or just small indie stuff which can be cool but it hardly makes me get excited about it.

Like why does this forum always do this? It hypes stuff up like these Game awards and then it becomes a massive disappointment. Same thing happens with E3 and game releases like Red Dead 2 and anything else. It's good but not that good?

I dunno maybe I'm just being cynical and jaded with these kinds of things as I get older but it's hard not to get hyped into it when you see all sorts of rumours and leaks around the internet that either never happen or aren't even that big to begin with.

Do I really care about another Mortal Kombat? Or a inferior Mario Kart clone or a game 5 years away? We are making a sequel to a game but it's 5 years away. Yes you could probably apply that to any recent game series but for some reason it becomes pages and pages of news where really there's nothing to talk about.

Pooh

Oct 25, 2017
The Hundred Acre Wood
Fortnite season 7 was a bigger announcement and that would have been just as disappointing as the final reveal. As someone not into smash that was about as exciting as a Forza car pack announcement
Difference is everybody knows Fortnite season 7 is coming... NOBODY knew about the Smash X Persona thing

And there aren't any games that appeal to absolutely everyone, but sorry you were bored by it anyway? I'm just saying it makes sense that they did what they did if you step back from your own singular preferences

Bonfires Down

Nov 2, 2017
On the lead up to EVERYTHING video game related why does the internet always hype up stuff to be more than the sum of its parts and it always ends up being disappointing. Particularly this forum is bad on this. Happens. Every. Time.

None of the stuff they announced was anything special or mind blowing or stuff we didn't know about already.. It wasn't much like the leaks either. All those rumours of stuff like Metroid Prime never even happened and the internet and this forum got hyped for it wasting everyone's time posting and speculating about nothing and making it more than the sum of its parts.

Other games stuff known or years away or just small indie stuff which can be cool but it hardly makes me get excited about it.

Like why does this forum always do this? It hypes stuff up like these Game awards and then it becomes a massive disappointment. Same thing happens with E3 and game releases like Red Dead 2 and anything else. It's good but not that good?

I dunno maybe I'm just being cynical and jaded with these kinds of things as I get older but it's hard not to get hyped into it when you see all sorts of rumours and leaks around the internet that either never happen or aren't even that big to begin with.

Do I really care about another Mortal Kombat? Or a inferior Mario Kart clone or a game 5 years away? We are making a sequel to a game but it's 5 years away. Yes you could probably apply that to any recent game series but for some reason it becomes pages and pages of news where really there's nothing to talk about.
What were the rumours? I think it's a good showing with Dragon age, Outer worlds, Far Cry, Ancestors, Psychonauts.

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
The Bad:
The sound mixing in the devil trigger live performance was awful.

So..Soo much ads at some point I couldn't even tell if this was a Ad for a old existing game or was it a world premiere

The awards themselves felt like a after thought to the ads lol, last years show felt more like an award show than this year's

The good

Lots of new game reveals

Psrsona in smash and Mk11 was great the rest so so

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
TGA2018 was a great show, production improved yet again, pacing was good, OK mix between announcements and awards. It was an easy watch.

Great job Geoff. Keep it up.

OldMuffin

Nov 1, 2017
So question. Who won the best student game this year? I think they even announced they have a new name (possibly since they are going commercial with it)? I'm trying to look for footage or something from the game cause unlike last year, they didn't show any of the nominations in video form.

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Wait, where was that Alien Blackout game ? and what was that worlds collide thing? Was the collide thing just Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo on the stage?

Trice

Banned
Nov 3, 2018
Croatia
Partly related to TGA I've gotta say it's a great time to be a gamer. Next year looks insane and the games are getting bigger and better.

Cincaid

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
I woke up excited today that Borderlands 3 was hopefully revealed, but sadly that was not the case. I guess Pax East is the next possible event they would reveal it at, unless they do it outside of any big events. Only 111 days to go. :v

But other than that disappointment there certainly were some cool reveals. The game from Obsidian looks neat and the Dragon Age teaser was enough to get me excited. Sadly that game is probably several years away.

TheKeyPit

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I'm just happy that RDR2 won Best Score, and that Roger Clark was awarded for Best Performance. I never thought that Rockstar could find someone who could compete with Rob Wiethoff but they did. Roger Clark truly deserves that award.

SonicFox had the best speech, thumbs up.

What was up with the Fortnite guy?

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
>No real bangers (Metroid Prime 4, Death Stranding, Bayo 3 etc)
>Show was like 5 hours (wtf where they thinking why was this so long wtf)
>too many awards

3/10

Please next year be sensible and like 2 hour long.

ZeroNoir_

Oct 25, 2017
It's great the industry has this space and congrats to Geoff for pulling it out.

I still think that bringing people that have nothing to do with game such as Waltz, McHale and the Russos is dumb and unnecesary.

Trailers and anouncements were underwhelming but that's secondary

borat

Banned
Jan 2, 2018
Wait, where was that Alien Blackout game ? and what was that worlds collide thing? Was the collide thing just Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo on the stage?

probably. like i said earlier all these rumours about game reveals are a marketing ploy. and it worked because i watched this crap.