• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Out of those nominated, what's your pick for Game Of The Year

• Control

Votes: 368 9.8%
  • Death Stranding

Votes: 784 21.0%
  • Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

Votes: 999 26.7%
  • Resident Evil 2

Votes: 687 18.4%
  • Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

Votes: 627 16.8%
  • The Outer Worlds

Votes: 272 7.3%

• Total voters

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Kotaku is also riding the wave with this click-bait article: https://kotaku.com/death-strandings-nominations-at-the-game-awards-cant-he-1840005746. They should be above this.

This is such a disingenuous article lol:

released earlier this month to a split critical reception. I loved it. In my review for Kotaku, I called it a "fantastic mess." Meanwhile, IGN gave the game a 6.8 out of 10.

they managed to find the one other big name publication that gave it a lower score to mention along with their own name meanwhile completely ignoring the other 17 perfect scores and the ton of 8's and 9's the game has over its 110+ reviews. An 84/100 aggregate scoring game isn't split critical reception, it's unanimously good.

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This is such a disingenuous article lol:

they managed to find the one other big name publication that gave it a lower score to mention along with their own name meanwhile completely ignoring the other 17 perfect scores and the ton of 8's and 9's the game has over its 110+ reviews. An 84/100 aggregate scoring game isn't split critical reception, it's unanimously good.
Yup, it's a ridiculous article that does little to provide the actual facts and the ones it does are twisted to fit the narrative

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
omg! 3 nominations for sayonara wild hearts. that makes me so happy.
and what a year for nintendo. smash ultimate, astral chain, fire emblem, link's awakening, cadence of hyrule, luigi's mansion 3, mario maker 2, yoshi's crafted world, ring fit, tetris 99
all the family game nominees being nintendo games is pretty funny tho, lol

May 24, 2019
i have nothing but love for smash, but it boggles the mind to see a game whose heart and soul is match-based PvP gameplay up against these other narrative-focused games. of course smash is still a game, so there's no reason it shouldn't be nominated, but it just seems strange to include them when the nominees are otherwise heavily biased towards a certain type of AAA narrative-driven action game. of course those games are all different to each other in their own way, but many of the core features remain the same between them.

maybe in future years the nominations should be more representative of games in other genres (for starters, any non-action game)…

i guess they're probably referring to the reaction from the general audience rather than just the critical response, but the way it's phrased seems almost intentionally misleading, yeah. nvm, they actually do say 'critical reception'. that is disingenuous, yeah.

Last edited:

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
I didn't really notice Geoff hyping the show up this year, unless I missed those tweets. Most of the time he does tweet out that it'll be a special show and the amount of world premiers. Probably something he'll do next week perhaps?

trugs26

Jan 6, 2018
Don't really feel strongly for any of these nominees (other than against Resident Evil 2). Probably the weakest year we've had in a while.

unholyFarmer

Jan 22, 2019
Tommie Earl Jenkins as Die-Hardman from Death Stranding easily got robbed for best performance.

Imo the best performance of the year.
Die-Hardman tends to be overlooked, but I also think Tommie's performance is superb! Mads might be the most impactful one due to the role of his character, but Die-Hardman was the one that truly made Sam's journey more convincing to me. He is always there to give you directions, congratulate you for your efforts and shout you orders when something urgent needs to be done.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Die-Hardman tends to be overlooked, but I also think Tommie's performance is superb! Mads might be the most impactful one due to the role of his character, but Die-Hardman was the one that truly made Sam's journey more convincing to me. He is always there to give you directions, congratulate you for your efforts and shout you orders when something urgent needs to be done.
Im thinking since his best monologue is at the ending that it was the thing that made him didnt get the cut

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
Im thinking since his best monologue is at the ending that it was the thing that made him didnt get the cut
i think some people missed this, but for a lot of the "Orders for Sam" in the game (aka main missions), you could press the touch pad on the order screen and Die-Hardman would give you extra mission details and dialogue, similar to Ocelot giving mission briefings in MGSV

it's not much, but any extra DHM i could get was a plus

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
i think some people missed this, but for a lot of the "Orders for Sam" in the game (aka main missions), you could press the touch pad on the order screen and Die-Hardman would give you extra mission details and dialogue, similar to Ocelot giving mission briefings in MGSV

it's not much, but any extra DHM i could get was a plus
I always did those, but that wont change the fact that DieHardman was mostly (80%) a narrator than a character in the game

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The person that got robbed in the year MGSV was competing was definitely Robin Atkin Downes as Kaz Miller.

Such an excellent performance.

Tommie Earl Jenkins as Die-Hardman from Death Stranding easily got robbed for best performance.

Imo the best performance of the year.

He was great but Mads and his character are on another level.