• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Will Smash get nominated for GOTY? I feel like it deserves a nomination but will be forgotten like Xenoblade 2 was because it released in December.
New categories this year:
- Best Strand Game
- Best Connection Game
- Best Game from a new developer that once worked in a notorious japanese software house
- Best game with babies and cetaceans
- Most celebrity cameos in a game
- Special DHL Award
EI5pnmGU8AAsYa0

OP
OP
Empyrean Cocytus

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
At least if Smash doesn't score a single nomination we can definitively call December a dead month for these awards

It'll definitely at least get nominations for Best Family, Best Fighting, and Best Multiplayer. Best Family is pretty much the "Best Nintendo game" award anyway, Best Multiplayer is pretty much a given (even though it won't win because it isn't a shooter and the online is shit), and Best Fighting, there was pretty much only MK11, DOA6, and SamSho released this year so it'll probably get a nod for that reason alone.

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I had hoped on Jedi fall order but man...it's no goty, so janky

Sekiro [ even though I'll never beat this :( ]or Re2 ( yeah yeah it's a remake ) indeed are the only true goty

The 5 contender my guess : sekiro ( won't win cause most review outlets probably never will get 1/3 of the way through ), Re2Make, outer worlds ( also janky but people wanted this after all the other dissappointing WRPG this gen ) , disco elesiyum And death stranding ( also mixed but some outlets just love it also it's Kojima ..)

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Im not expecting any major announcements, i imagine most big non nintendo reveals are being held until the new consoles are officially unveiled.

May 5, 2018
Nominees imo:

resident evil 2
Sekiro
Death stranding
Control
Fire emblem
I'd substitute Control with Outer Worlds and that would look pretty dang reasonable. I say Outer Worlds Over Control because financially it was a bigger success. Although we'll see what they nominate tomorrow. Not too certain Fire Emblem gets nominated either (as much as I'd like to see it on the list). Wonder if they'll stick to 6 nominations like they did last year and if that last one could be Control, Outer Wilds, Disco Elysium or something else?

Ebtesam

Self-Requested Ban
Apr 1, 2018
Disco Elysium
Outer Worlds
Outer Wilds
Gears 5
Death stranding
Star wars : Jadi fallen order

OP
OP
Empyrean Cocytus

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
I'd substitute Control with Outer Worlds and that would look pretty dang reasonable. I say Outer Worlds Over Control because financially it was a bigger success. Although we'll see what they nominate tomorrow. Not too certain Fire Emblem gets nominated either (as much as I'd like to see it on the list). Wonder if they'll stick to 6 nominations like they did last year and if that last one could be Control, Outer Wilds, Disco Elysium or something else?

I'm really not getting any Fire Emblem vibes for GOTY - it's a niche franchise and a niche genre. It'll definitely get a best RPG nomination, but I don't see it beating way more mainstream RPGs like Outer Worlds or even Kingdom Hearts 3.

I'd love to be proven wrong, but these awards have shown in the past that unless Nintendo releases a game that absolutely requires recognition (like BOTW), then they will not receive any recognition.

Ozzie

One Winged Slayer
Jan 12, 2018
I know it won't win but I really hope Fire Emblem Three Houses gets nominated or at the very least win few awards such as best strategy.

May 5, 2018
For fun I'll throw in some predictions for some of the other categories that'll they present this year besides GOTY. Here we go:

Best Independent Game:
  • Baba is You (or Slay the Spire-one of these two will get nominated)
  • Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night
  • Disco Elysium
  • Outer Wilds
  • Untitled Goose Game
Best Sports/Racing game
  • Crash Team Racing: Nitro-Fueled
  • FIFA 20
  • GRID
  • PES 2020
  • NBA 2K20 (Feels like every year this category has a FIFA, PES and an NBA 2K game nominated)
Best Original Score:
  • *Ace Combat 7 Skies Unknown (OK this is wishful thinking, but I think it deserves the nomination)
  • Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night
  • Death Stranding
  • Fire Emblem 3 Houses
  • Kingdom Hearts 3
  • Outer Wilds
I'm really not getting any Fire Emblem vibes for GOTY - it's a niche franchise and a niche genre. It'll definitely get a best RPG nomination, but I don't see it beating way more mainstream RPGs like Outer Worlds or even Kingdom Hearts 3.

I'd love to be proven wrong, but these awards have shown in the past that unless Nintendo releases a game that absolutely requires recognition (like BOTW), then they will not receive any recognition.
I felt that way about Celeste last year (my GOTY of 2018). I thought "Man it would be cool if Celeste got a GOTY nomination, but if they had to pick an indie Dead Cells seems more likely as that seems more popular." Then Celeste managed to get a GOTY nomination. Celeste managed to sell half a million copies by the end of 2018. FE has sold over 2.29 million this year. Granted I don't want to say it's a lock for it to get a nomination, but I think it's chances are better than what I thought Celeste's chances were in 2018.

Last edited:

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
GOTY nominees predication:
  • Resident Evil 2
  • Sekiro Shadows Die Twice
  • Death Stranding
  • Outer Wilds
  • The Outer Worlds
Winner:Resident Evil 2,if most of the critics don't ignore it it because it is a Remake,if happens,Outer Wilds or Death Stranding is the next bet.

benzopil

Oct 25, 2017
Apex Legends
Resident Evil 2
Disco Elysium
Fire Emblem Three Houses
Control
Star Wars Jedi or Sekiro

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Is it today or tomorrow. In different time zone here.
Edit : Oh Nominees are going to be announced on Dec 12th. Shit read wrong.

mouzone

Oct 30, 2017
Obviously these awards are always a shitshow popularity contest but I hope Disco Elysium gets some awards just to get some well deserved recognition/publicity.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Very curious what games will be in the goty category.

My guesses...

Resident Evil 2 Remake
Devil May Cry V
Sekiro

Maybe Gears 5, maybe Death Stranding?

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
I can't believe I fucking forgot Kingdom Hearts 3 came out this year.

It's bound to be a nominee for something

Ryo

Oct 28, 2017
I hope it's Death Stranding or Sekiro, I enjoyed both more than anything else I've played in 2018 and 2019. It would be cool to see Fromsoft finally get the recognition they deserve on the big stage.

I have a feeling it will be RE2, also a worthy winner IMO.

Rosur

Oct 28, 2017
I suspect the GOTY nominee list to be something like:

Apex Legends
Death Stranding
Devil May Cry 5
Disco Elysium
Fire Emblem: Three Houses
Outer Wilds
Resident Evil 2 Remake

Also possible to be added Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order and Sekiro as suspect Disco Elysium will be skipped.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
This will be interesting. Imo not a single game this year deserves to be GOTY. They were all subpar in a way and remakes and expansions shouldn't be eligible. Guess it should default to Smash Ultimate.

MickZan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
there's so many other games that can be billed as "you like it or you don't", though. Fighting games in general have always had a helluva hard time winning GOTY awards. Even if you personally don't like it (which is fine!) I have to agree with the dude I originalyl quoted in that there really hasn't been another game that came out this year that's been as universally beloved across most gaming sub-communities as Smash Ultimate. Personally, my GOTY is Death Stranding. Usually my personal GOTY doesn't match up with whatever game wins the most GOTY awards anyways. That all being said, I really think that this Smash deserves a nomination moreso than any other game. Even the ones I personally enjoyed the most. Especially with all the crazy DLC fighters.

That's just my two cents though. I feel your comment about me considering the game to be the second coming of Jesus a bit unnecessary, though. Everyone knows that 1993's Cool Spot was the second coming. If anything Smash would be the third.

I agree. I absolutely feel Smash deserves the nomination. I just get the feeling Smash fans lose sight of reality, which is not everyone likes fighting games. Hell, most people don't looking at overal sales of fighting games. I mean i consider Football Manager basicly the best game every year, but ofcourse i'm not going to fight for it winning GOTY, cause even though it's the very best in it's genre, not everyone likes the genre. I trully believe Smash is the best fighting game ever made, but sadly fighting games are not mainstream enough to win these types of awards. If any fighting game could, it would be smash, but i'd be surprised if it happends. Especially in a year with tough competition.

Remeran

Nov 27, 2018
Sekiro wins game of the year or it's rigged! Seriously though, I didn't play anything better than sekiro all year.

Sep 19, 2019
Hamburg- Germany
This will be interesting. Imo not a single game this year deserves to be GOTY. They were all subpar in a way and remakes and expansions shouldn't be eligible. Guess it should default to Smash Ultimate.

I am with you in regards to remakes/remasters and expansions but even though the year might be low for you one of those games still can be considered "The Best"of all of them.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Smash deserves a nomination. Aside from that I don't expect any Nintendo games to be in the "GOTY" category. Only Fire Emblem Three Houses has a slight chance.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
  • Resident Evil 2
  • Sekiro Shadows Die Twice
  • Death Stranding
  • Outer Wilds
  • The Outer Worlds
Winner:Resident Evil 2,if most of the critics don't ignore it it because it is a Remake,if happens,Outer Wilds or Death Stranding is the next bet.

You have room for one more. They usually nominate 6 games, probably Fire Emblem or Luigi's.

Olaf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This really was a dire year for me. No game I played really deserves GOTY. I guess Sekiro is one, although I couldn't finish it myself.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
  1. Super Smash Brothers Ultimate
  2. Resident Evil 2
  3. Sekiro Shadows Die Twice
  4. Death Stranding
  5. Fire Emblem: Three Houses
  6. Devil May Cry 5
Year of Japan again.

(God what a timeline if DMC5 does get nominated)

Feb 26, 2018
Cant see Smash winning. Most of the journalist ignored it as a goty pick last year. It will probably be nominated tho

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
This will be interesting. Imo not a single game this year deserves to be GOTY. They were all subpar in a way and remakes and expansions shouldn't be eligible.

I have to agree with you. I honestly don't think I will even take part in the Resetera GOTY vote this year, because of all the games I played this year I don't think any is actually GOTY material and something that I'd firmly stand behind.

I still remember people last year saying 2018 was such a mediocre year and this year will be so much better. Crazy talk imo, with huge games like God of War, Red Dead 2 or Smash. This year has no games on that level.

Muntaner

May 12, 2018
Sekiro GOTY, Geoff invites Miyazaki in person to give the award to him personally and Elden Ring gameplay starts off after the award ceremony. Paradise.