• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

barksi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This year's show was definitely a step back from the previous one (2018). It was so weirdly paced which was underscored by the decision to have Fast and Furious game (that looks absolutely terrible and reminds some kind of cheap movie tie-in videogame from PS3/Xbox 360 era) as the last reveal. I mean...Batman game and laughable PR stunt from WB Montréal aside... there was absolutely shocking announcement of next gen Xbox alongside beautiful reveal trailer for Hellblade 2... they should ended the show with that instead but for some reason, they decided to end the show with Vin Diesel (and i feel like most gamers don't really care about some hollywood celebs...) oh well. The second half of the show was filled with repeating commercials and lackluster reveals... oh well.

And about that PS5 launch title Godfall... it looks like another super generic fantasy like slashing game... not interested at all

But I want to end on a positive note, so there are some of my personal highlights from the show:

• Xbox Series X + Hellblade 2 reveal
  • Some really amazing looking trailers - Ori 2, Gears Tactics, Ghost of Tsushima
  • Some interesting game announcements including Sons of the Forest (sequel to Forest), Ruined King (story driven game set in LoL universe), Weird West (debut title from ex-Arcane heads)
  • Reggie's speech was excellent
  • Global gaming citizens videos
  • Deserved award winners
Last year's show is still the best TGA imo. That being said, I just hope everyone enjoyed the show as much as possible. :)

Last edited:

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
The most important part of this TGA is that the best game outside of the GOTY pick aka Disco Elysium won the most awards. Such a step up in video game writing.

RockGun90

Jul 28, 2018
I am seriously wondering what Microsoft was thinking announcing their next-gen console at this show. Regardless of the quality of the announcements (I thought it was OK, not great but had some fun), they're going to get lost in a sea of news from this show.

Also, I'm calling it now. The name Xbox Series X is going to create WiiU level confusion for customers. We'll be seeing tons of stores with handwritten signs having to explain that it's not an additional piece of hardware for the Xbox One.

SleepSmasher

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
This final game announcement makes no sense at all. My guess is that the "one more thing" would be a closer look at Half-Life: Alyx, but Valve couldn't get whatever they were planning ready for the show.

Shini42

Jan 7, 2018
Most surprising thing was the announcement of PS5 game. How did Sony let this happen is beyond me. First Game Officially Announced fo PS5 and... it looks like total trash.

SleepSmasher

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I am seriously wondering what Microsoft was thinking announcing their next-gen console at this show. Regardless of the quality of the announcements (I thought it was OK, not great but had some fun), they're going to get lost in a sea of news from this show.

Also, I'm calling it now. The name Xbox Series X is going to create WiiU level confusion for customers. We'll be seeing tons of stores with handwritten signs having to explain that it's not an additional piece of hardware for the Xbox One.
They have an entire year to work on brand perception. And I don't really think that naming will be a problem at all.

Deleted member 9746

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This might have been the worst edition yet.

Way too many ads for way too little awards. I swear, there were like 4 awards in a minute followed by 20 minutes of advertisement. Not even Best Performance got an announcement on stage after the memorable moment of Viva Seifert winning for The Witcher 3.

I'll probably skip it next year and catch the trailers later.

Dogo Mojo

Oct 27, 2017
This show has always been so weird to me, it's "The Videogame awards" but so little time is actually given to the awards and the devs that win, or they announce a category and winner in 10 seconds as throwaways.Then they tout the world exclusives but never really have anything big enough to get people truly excited.

It just ends up feeling like the awards are basically secondary to the announcements abd ads but the announcements aren't really that impressive. I'm probably never going to switch to Xbox at this point so while I admit it was a pretty big deal it didn't do much for me, especially since I care more about the games than I do the box.

There were some announcements/trailers that I'm looking forward to, stuff like Dark Alliance,Braverly Default, Ghosts, and No more Heroes but I didn't need to sit through this to watch those.

admittedly we are kind in that weird spot before new consoles but this show always feels like it's trying to satisfy two separate types of groups in the gaming community (awards & dev recognition vs people only wanting announcements) and failing equally at making either happy.

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
There was no Joker in Smash moment. Each of the bigger awards arrived with a "oh, is this one of those?" attached, as it felt like the space for them was so selectively carved out between all the awards that are rushed through, the world premiers, and the ads. Everyone felt a little too rehearsed, like no one felt any room to make any given moment their own.

I dunno. It's weird: I find myself feeling compelled to compliment Geoff and his team for pulling off yet another impressive showing, because on several levels this was a well done thing, but also feeling that this might be the least compelling TGAs ever.

Sekiro winning GOTY will be the one thing I remember. Otherwise, the one word that comes to mind when I think of the past couple hours is "hollow."

Tanooki

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I'm still flabbergasted that Nintendo went from announcing Joker, the character to kick off the 3rd party DLC pack, to absolutely nothing.

May 5, 2018
I missed the show except I got to the ending and Vin Diesel read Sekiro's name for GOTY. Cool. FromSoftware got their DiCaprio moment. And I'm running through the awards and the winners were:
  • Smash won best fighting and Doug Bowser was there for the award.
  • Fire Emblem took home best Strategy and the People's Voice award (the people's champ). I imagine both were quickly announced by Keighley to save time.
  • Luigi's Mansion 3 won best Family game! Nice! Great to see that win an award.
  • I liked the Honeydew/Beaker bit where they were presenting Games for Impact.
  • Death Stranding took home Game Direction, Best Soundtrack and Mads with best performance. Kojima got an industry icon award too right?
  • Control won best art direction which I forgot that game has some style to it.
  • Disco Elysium won Fresh Indie Dev and Narrative and the developers seemed overwhelmed with the awards. Good for them :)

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I got My Friend Pedro from that Subway thing.

They're out of Disco Elysium codes for anyone curious.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
It's underneath where you would type a message.

I tried DE and it said it was out though.
There's no button on the bottom that reads "Let's Get Started"?

MzfYmHd.png

LMAO, now I see it

Edit. I was too slow and now codes are gone. I am an idiot lol

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Overall the show itself was weaker than past years but the stuff outside the show, with the demos, fan votes, and the hype leading up to it was pretty well done. Hopefully next year we see the show, or rather the idea of the show, continue to expand beyond just the Thursday night event because honestly the strongest parts are the things that don't happen on stage

+Disco Elysium getting recognized as much as it did, big surprise there
+Muppets/Goose bit
+Xbox Series X
+Reggie's speech was great and was the main thing that reminded me of how the show is attempting to legitimize the field, along with the global gaming citizens bits
+The demo festival is very cool and I'm glad that the show is still doing the Steam stream rewards, though unlike last year I didn't win anything there this year
+I got Disco Elysium for free thanks to the Subway promotion, so that's nice, uhh it kind of changes my whole perception of the show

-Games for impact was steamrolled this year and effectively ignored by introing it with the Muppets. No one was paying attention to the devs or what the game was saying because we were all memeing about the Muppets. I think it would have made perfect sense to switch that with Reggie's bit, which would have been perfect for the games for impact award too
-No industry icon award. Talking about the often unknown history of the industry was one of the highlights of past shows and not including it here at all, even with an abridged piece relative to previous years, is a huge step backwards. You need something like that to make an award show feel meaningful and it helps with pacing, breaking up the otherwise endless stream of trailers and ads.
-The non-orchestral music acts were odd, Grimes was on stage for less than half the song and Green Day should have either played 1 song or replaced the first one with a shorter one.
-Two of the best trailers (FFVII and NMH3), and probably the only ones that I will actually remember, were in the preshow and really should have been in the main show when their energy would have improved the pace.
-Please get rid of the World Premiere bumpers, it just wastes time and the show is already long enough as is
-Too many random celebrities and not enough industry figures, which makes it feel like the old Spike shows
-The Esports stuff should be its own show. Just running through them here doesn't do them justice and what they actually cover is too limited to really show the breadth of competitive gaming. Doing it on a separate night would allow them to breathe, expand to cover the fgc (badly needed), allow for niche groups to get a spotlight (like Classic Tetris and speedrunning), and make the event more than a one night affair. Do a shorter, more intimate show on a soundstage on Wednesday night and I think it would do a lot to increase engagement, not only with the esports stuff, but with the show as a whole
-The F&F reveal ending everything. I assume this was partially due to Valve dropping out, but it is still an incredibly weak way to end the show

El-Suave

Oct 27, 2017
My favorite part of the show itself was probably the Muppets bit. That was really well done and on point.

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
The amount of ads and products placement was just too insane for my taste..... it was big avertissement, not a show about rewarding best game.