• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kolibri

Nov 6, 2017
I fell asleep while watching it, so I just finished watching the rest this morning. Sorry for the negativity, but that... was really underwhelming...
No Zelda BotW2, no Bayonetta 3, no Metroid trilogy, no Smash Bros. DLC, no Elden Ring, no GhostWire Tokyo, no Mario Odyssey 2 tease, no new Crash, no tiny tease from Rocksteady, not even a Wii U port.

I realise some of those are kinda 'out there', and I definitely didn't expect all of these things, but I at least expected Smash DLC, and hoped for just 1 more thing.
While Reggie's speech was incredibly heartfelt, they should not have hyped him up so hard, only to have him announce the indie winner...

Xbox Series X, Bravely Default 2 and No More Heroes 3 were cool tho. Plus gotta give credit to Untitled Beaker Game lol, that was the best.
And I'm happy for all the wins for Disco Elysium got, and that Sekiro got GOTY.

But all in all, I am glad I didn't stay up for this.

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
For an event celebrating gaming, they sure glossed through everything fast.

No one found weird that the tie-in live add for Fortnite new Star Wars DLC took more time than any of the big awards?

Like I know they have to pay the bills but jeez....
Feels like the GaaS games take up quite a chunk. Every year there seems to be some Fortnite, Warframe, Apex Legends, Pubg stuff which fairplay to them they want to announce their crap but they constantly seem to be revealing new shit all the time I kinda don't have any interest for them at TGA's. Literally falling asleep at that Fortnite reveal.

In general the esports stuff is pretty bland. Does there really need to be an award for a coach, a team a fucking host. Ongoing game, community effort game, best supported game all seemed like an excuse to give each of these games an award for what felt like basically the same award. The categories need a godamn trim down.

Pretty tame show for me. Wolf Among Us, Hellblade 2, No more Heroes 3, Bravely Default 2 and I suppose more GoT trailer were my highlights.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For an event celebrating gaming, they sure glossed through everything fast.

No one found weird that the tie-in live add for Fortnite new Star Wars DLC took more time than any of the big awards?

Like I know they have to pay the bills but jeez....
that fucking samsung TV had more screen time than any game or developer

TubaZef

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
This year show felt like a big step back towards the Spike days IMO. Not talking about the awards or the announcements, Keighley don't have control over those, he can't demand companies to save up announcements for the TGA and even then, having the new Xbox there was already pretty huge.
But the show itself felt more soulless, comercial and even disrespectful. An important award like best score being awarded in the pre-show??? That's ridiculous, and then they go out talking about how music is important for them.

Last year it had a bunch of musical presentations featuring composers from the nominated games, it felt like a great way to celebrate video game music. On the previous years it had this special awards for industry veterans that had an impact in the industry. It was the most beautiful part of the show, why was this removed?

Of course the show is comercial, I'm not that naive, it's supposed to be one big ad, but on the previous years it also felt like a celebration of what games are and it was going on the right direction, this year that aspect seems to be completely removed.

Onikage

Feb 21, 2018
I think this was a great show.

People think it is supposed to be an E3. It is about the awards and developers, not announcements.
And even so, I think this was the game awards show with most announcements so far. We even had a new console and next generation games.

Nobody is expecting trailers in the Oscars, and even with so much news (bonus) yesterday people are still upset.
It is not E3, just a celebration to give awards and recognize great games and people.

I really get happy when I see developers getting recognized in this show. Just imagine, it is the time of their lives, specially for indie devs.
It is the only time in the year where they get some spotlight.

Last edited:

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Have to say it was really dissappointing there was no Industry Icon Award this year. I feel it was probably the most important award in the previous shows. I understand that it takes a lot of time from the evening and the bigger audience might not have similar interest for it as they do for the trailers, but for a show like this I feel it's essential. To celebrate and recognize people who have shaped the industry.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
- biggest night for esports
- all esports awards except one are given away in the preshow, with just the winner being read and no one there to accept an award

also super weird that the music award was just read, and there were no performance from the nominees. instead they have green day perform a super meh set, or chvrches who have been irrelevant since after their first album came out.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
We missed out on Sonic? Nooo.

So that Sonic Adventure remake teased by the chao's in space animation was real :P Look I really just want a Sonic Adventure 2 remake with an expanded chao garden

Because people ask for it. Just read the posts here lol.
People are complaining they didn't get enough annoucements.
They want it to be an E3 with 100 trailers and a PS5 reveal in the end.

Problem was the quantity of announcements but the quality even a few of them that could have been big were generic CG trailers.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Oh man, I agree with you! A few moments before the show ended Reggie said that the gaming industry had become bigger than the movie industry and then, the last award was handed out by a film star, who took the chance and promoted both the new film and the upcoming game (which btw. looks ridiculously bad). This moment was so full of shit, the most pathetic one of the show.

I really do think that most of these awards, if not all, should be presented by industry icons and not by people, who have nothing to do with video games. And as you just mentioned, someone like Reggie should have presented the last award, an industry icon, that knows the industry well. No surprise, that his speech was tonight's best by far. I really felt his speech and whenever he opens up his mouth you notice that he loves games as much as we do.

Mads Mikkelsen didn't pay a visit to the show I guess, which is why Best Performance wasn't presented on stage. But let's be clear about that, if someone can't or does not want to attend the show, under no circumstances should they be given an award.

Keighley is flat out terrible at understanding optics.

When he makes his announcement that the game awards will happen yesterday he also promoted multiple sponsors for making this happen among them THQ Nordic. This announcement was made within a week of the shooting that spurred Trump to start a shit storm conversation where the mainstream media was trashing videogames as influencers of violence. This was after THQ specifically signal boosted 8chan a social media platform for multiple forms of violence against humanity, child rape, swatting campaigns and doxxing campaigns.

Fucking moronic.

Earthed

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Sep 26, 2019
I fell asleep while watching it, so I just finished watching the rest this morning. Sorry for the negativity, but that... was really underwhelming...
No Zelda BotW2, no Bayonetta 3, no Metroid trilogy, no Smash Bros. DLC, no Elden Ring, no GhostWire Tokyo, no Mario Odyssey 2 tease, no new Crash, no tiny tease from Rocksteady, not even a Wii U port.

I realise some of those are kinda 'out there', and I definitely didn't expect all of these things, but I at least expected Smash DLC, and hoped for just 1 more thing.
While Reggie's speech was incredibly heartfelt, they should not have hyped him up so hard, only to have him announce the indie winner...

Xbox Series X, Bravely Default 2 and No More Heroes 3 were cool tho. Plus gotta give credit to Untitled Beaker Game lol, that was the best.
And I'm happy for all the wins for Disco Elysium got, and that Sekiro got GOTY.

But all in all, I am glad I didn't stay up for this.
All these companies still have their own events to populate with announcements, though.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
Have to say it was really dissappointing there was no Industry Icon Award this year. I feel it was probably the most important award in the previous shows. I understand that it takes a lot of time from the evening and the bigger audience might not have similar interest for it as they do for the trailers, but for a show like this I feel it's essential. To celebrate and recognize people who have shaped the industry.
I feel the same way. I literally made a thread where this was a big part of it. Geoff is still figuring things out I guess.

Kolibri

Nov 6, 2017
All these companies still have their own events to populate with announcements, though.
Yeah, that's true. And I am aware that it's a bit silly of me to be disappointed over this, since I know we're gonna see those games at some point anyway.
But since Nintendo has brought BotW, Smash, and Bayonetta to The Game Awards before, and all three of those franchises have something cooking, I really thought we'd see some cool stuff here.
Plus the fact that both Doug Bowser and Reggie were here, the latter who Geoff kept namedropping, made me think there was gonna be a 'one more thing' type of situation :P
Oh well, I'm sure the next Direct will deliver!

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They didn't need to i guess, they have their own thing, and everybody but Microsoft was shitty so this show is inconsequential for them, not even re3 was in

Now hoping for Bayonetta 3 in january...
TGA had 20+ million viewers last year. That's more than any direct, ever. It's just dumb to show basically nothing when you have an audience like that. Especially people that don't normally tune in to directs. If they don't show Prime 4 here they are dumb af.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
TGA had 20+ million viewers last year. That's more than any direct, ever. It's just dumb to show basically nothing when you have an audience like that. Especially people that don't normally tune in to directs. If they don't show Prime 4 here they are dumb af.
Yeah it would have been nice for them to show something, im just trying to guess their reasoning, obviously they saved the announcements for the next Direct because they felt TGA this year wasn't worth it, maybe even because they didn't win GOTY this year.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
Don't think anything has been announced yet but it's "Perfect for Switch"™

The only thing that gives me pause about Disco on Switch is that there's sooo much reading and that portable screen is so small.

The devs were smart and moved the text boxes over to the right-hand side of the screen, taking up about 1/3 of overall screen real estate. It makes reading far more natural like a page from a paperback vs. the more traditional text box at the bottom we see in virtually every other game.

Wonder if it will still be enough to maintain readability on the portable format.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah it would have been nice for them to show something, im just trying to guess their reasoning, obviously they saved the announcements for the next Direct because they felt TGA this year wasn't worth it, maybe even because they didn't win GOTY this year.
These things take planning in advance, and I really doubt NIntendo knew that long in advance if they'd win or not.

megalowho

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Last year it had a bunch of musical presentations featuring composers from the nominated games, it felt like a great way to celebrate video game music. On the previous years it had this special awards for industry veterans that had an impact in the industry. It was the most beautiful part of the show, why was this removed?
I don't have a strong opinion on the show and missed most of it, but the lifetime achievement stuff was the highlight in years past and went a long way towards making the show feel more like a celebration. Disappointed to hear it wasn't included.

TubaZef

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
We'll let you know after our award for Fresh Indie Game sponsored by Subway and a word from Linus on why you should game* on Samsung's Q series TV's.

*Gaming not available on sub $2000 Q50 and Q60 TV's

Disco Elysium devs thanking Karl Marx for wining the "Fresh Indie Game sponsored by Subway" was the best thing of the night

Geoff Keighley

The Game Awards Mastermind
Verified
Nov 12, 2017

Industry Icon will be back next year! Unfortunately what we wanted to do didn't come together this year.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
Really looking forward to GameXplain's recap of the show. None of their predictions came true, not even the "safe" predictions.

Maybe NMH3. That's it.

I hope they don't go easy on the Awards.

Linkhero1

Oct 25, 2017
Bay Area
I enjoyed the first half of the show and Reggie's speech was great, but the second half went downhill for me. Too many ads and the F&F bit was rather bad. I was actually shocked that all Nintendo brought to the table was MUA3 DLC, but that just tells me that they're going to open 2020 with a big direct. Still, it would have been nice to see something else from Nintendo.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
Industry Icon will be back next year! Unfortunately what we wanted to do didn't come together this year.
Thanks for the effort on these shows. It must be a bummer that Half Life was pulled last minute.

I do appreciate some of the surprise choices for some of the awards. It feels like games that might not get their due were celebrated.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I enjoyed the first half of the show and Reggie's speech was great, but the second half went downhill for me. Too many ads and the F&F bit was rather bad. I was actually shocked that all Nintendo brought to the table was MUA3 DLC, but that just tells me that they're going to open 2020 with a big direct. Still, it would have been nice to see something else from Nintendo.
i think bravely 2 can technically be counted as a nintendo announcement too, considering nintendo will most likely publish the game outside japan.

Linkhero1

Oct 25, 2017
Bay Area
i think bravely 2 can technically be counted as a nintendo announcement too, considering nintendo will most likely publish the game outside japan.
Ah. Didn't realize Nintendo was publishing this one. That makes sense. It pretty much puts Nintendo on par with what they brought last year (update on DLC content + new game shown).

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
That is good to hear. There are so many people out there who have shaped the industry into what it is and many of us know most of the big names - the Hideo Kojimas and Shigeru Miyamotos and Will Wrights - and that's why I always enjoyed this award finding and recognizing some of the people who haven't been in the spotlight much yet have had a massive impact on the gaming landscape.

Either way, it was still quite a good show and quite a wide variety of genres, themes, and experiences recognized and rewarded, which is all I could ask for.