• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 30, 2017
Bless Geoff for at least acting enthusiastic during some of those game trailer announcements. His energy is good, but the content vacillates between hype and ResidentSleeper.

No one asked for a 40+ hour Gears game.

anaa

Unshakable Resolve
Jun 30, 2019
Somebody explain how the 2016 film Hell or High Water with 0 wins was nominated for Best Picture but Best Makeup and Hair-styling winner Suicide Squad wasn't
This might be the worst post in the entire thread. I think I understand what you are trying to say, but if you are going to use the games to movies comparison you could have chosen something appropriately niche but cerebral for the best picture snub and not garbage d lister suicide squad. Like... I can't

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
My worry is that the blame all gets put on Geoff when it's almost undoubtedly not his fault.

And I feel guilty for contributing to it with all of my venting.

When devs are tweeting that we should expect something "huge" and either show something underwhelming or don't show at all, how does he control that? How is he supposed to react when Valve pulls out hours beforehand?

I'm still really frustrated with the show and mad at myself for staying up so late and expecting that any of the teases that I was excited for would show but I don't think it's the fault of the one person who puts all of his time and energy into making this thing exist in the first place.

Like Nintendo undervaluing the massive audience available to them is really bumming me out. And I don't even know where to start on the WB Montreal teases.

The only thing I would ask Geoff is what level of involvement or control does he have over the larger in-show advertising for battle Royale/F2P/Mobile games or is that how the show essentially gets funded??

Because I asked myself- would we really have been that mad at all those shovelware ads if Arkham or literally any major Nintendo announcement had happened? If the final announcement wasn't an extremely poor looking Fast and Furious game?

No. Probably not.

Last edited:

Rust

Jan 24, 2018
Industry Icon will be back next year! Unfortunately what we wanted to do didn't come together this year.
That's a shame; it's one of my favourite parts.

Just out of curiosity, when you design a single-winner award like Industry Icon, do you plan for a back-up just in case of fall through? I'm assuming this would be in conversation with the judges as well?

dantevsninjas

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe I'm just grumpy, but there is so much about this show that should have been torn out. Like all the music performances feel like Geoff having seen other award shows and going, "we need that too". Also, all of the awards that happened off-air, or as a throwaway moment. Glad we didn't see the best RPG award, because we definitely needed to televise the fucking esports award.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The only thing I would ask Geoff is what level of involvement or control does he have over the larger in-show advertising for battle Royale/F2P/Mobile games or is that how the show essentially gets funded??
Kevin+van+der+Kooi+Schick+Hydrobot+Game+Awards+NKfvifgEGPdl.jpg

These things aren't cheap, and I don't mind a bit of advertisement here or there.

I'll say this... we've come a long, LONG, LOOOOOOOOONG way from the Spike Video Game Awards, which was at one point the "best" award show the medium of gaming had available.
CYOOOfv.gif

What we have now is an insanely good balance of legit award recognition for the amazing games that inspired us and blew us away this year, along with several great teases and reveals of exciting upcoming hardware (Xbox Series X!), known games (hello Ghosts of Tsushima and Final Fantasy VII) and some legit stunning surprises (Oooh, Hellblade 2! The Wolf Among us 2! LOTS of intriguing new IPs as well!).

Couple that with some really good live orchestral performances and some awards that really highlight the value of games and developers with legitimately powerful stories to tell and messages to share, and I'm pretty grateful this all comes together as well as it does.

So... breathe a big sigh of relief, Goeff. This award show is great and worth all the work, setbacks, and last-minute changes.

Because I've seen the alternative...
ZZuOb.gif

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
Thinking back it didn't really feel like an award show. There were so many reveals. The awards took a back seat. I know a lot of you like that, but I think it took away from the point of the event. Well whatever Geoff is doing alright.

dantevsninjas

Oct 27, 2017
Hey, glad we got a 10 minute stage bit about Fortnite. It's nice to see that game finally get some recognition. /s

Also, if I wanted to see Grimes perform, I'd go to Elon Musk's house.

Last edited:

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure surprised people are negative about the announcements. Getting my first taste of next gen was awesome, I was so happy about Bravely Default II. I thought it was great.

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I'm sure surprised people are negative about the announcements. Getting my first taste of next gen was awesome, I was so happy about Bravely Default II. I thought it was great.

It's all about expectations. There were a lot of rumours swirling around for massive announcements from the big 3, which were evidently nonsense. Judging by the reaction on here, Twitter and Reddit, there were a sizeable number of people (vocal, even if they're a minority) who were tuning in pretty much for a Smash announcement. The Game Awards organisers are pretty far down the list of people to blame for this, in any case.

Conversely, some people appear to think that the Xbox Series X reveal was too big for TGAs, and that revealing the next-gen anywhere other than E3 is a marketing misstep .

Last edited:

Deleted member 179

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think the entire tune of how everyone feels would be different if Half Life Alyx wasn't pulled. Most likely would've been the end.

efr

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 19, 2019
Hey, glad we got a 10 minute stage bit about Fortnite. It's nice to see that game finally get some recognition. /s

Also, if I wanted to see Grimes perform, I'd go to Elon Musk's house.
The technology behind the Apex stage bit was awesome. I think you're confusing the quick fortnite/star wars crossover announcement with it.

Fortnite is the number one money producing game in the country, of course theyre going to promote it there.

Award shows have musical performances.
No one made you watch.

The entitlement in some of these posts are hilariously bad. No wonder game communities are some of the most toxic on the internet.

Deleted member 16365

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
To me this was a weaker show, but that's mostly because there wasn't a lot to announce. It's too early to show off games for XSX or PS5, and there probably aren't that many games left for 2020 that are either ready to show, or unknown. Even Nintendo seemed to bring something new to show simply because they needed to.

I enjoy TGA and applaud Geoff for his work on them, but this wasn't a great year.

dantevsninjas

Oct 27, 2017
The technology behind the Apex stage bit was awesome. I think you're confusing the quick fortnite/star wars crossover announcement with it.

Fortnite is the number one money producing game in the country, of course theyre going to promote it there.

Award shows have musical performances.
No one made you watch.

The entitlement in some of these posts are hilariously bad. No wonder game communities are some of the most toxic on the internet.

No, I was talking about the 10 minutes of preamble before the 3 second Fortnite announcement. Also, that Apex bit was cringey. I don't think it's entitlement to call a bad show bad, especially one that punted actual awards celebrating developers for screen time for an esports dork.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Silly question, but...

Anyone remember what that piece of music is called that was on that short PS4 ad featuring Death Stranding?

BIGLukas

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
My friend and I were laughing our asses off at revealing the new Xbox early on in the show and ending the same show with the reveal of a Fast and Furious video game. What a weird show.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Industry Icon will be back next year! Unfortunately what we wanted to do didn't come together this year.
Oh that's a bummer things didn't work out with it, glad that it will be back though. Thanks for the show, it's a must watch every year. Hope you keep doing Global Gaming Citizen and Games for Impact too! These things I'm always most looking forward to.

Last edited:

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
A little off-topic, but I was thinking of finally nabbing A Plague Tale.

Does it perform better on the Pro or X?

Aug 10, 2019
Did anyone else cringe at the whole bit between Vin Diesel and Michelle Rodriguez? It seemed like they were trying to have their Keanu moment but it felt cheap and forced. She mispronounced Tekken when "claiming" that they were gamers, and they where attempting to force hype when their game looked like ass.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
Did anyone else cringe at the whole bit between Vin Diesel and Michelle Rodriguez? It seemed like they were trying to have their Keanu moment but it felt cheap and forced. She mispronounced Tekken when "claiming" that they were gamers, and the game looked like ass.

It was an awful way to end the show, I agree.

I feel bad for Vin, though. The dude is a legit gamer. Rodriguez was the one faking it up. At first I thought she actually said "that Ken fighting game" referring to Street Fighter.

I'm sad that the Riddick franchise seems to be dead. Those games (and movies, IMO) were awesome.

Last edited:

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

I feel bad for Vin, though. The dude is a legit gamer. Rodriguez was the one faking it up. At first I thought she actually said "that Ken fighting game" referring to Street Fighter.

I'm sad that the Riddick franchise seems to be dead. Those games were awesome.
Vin Diesel is a gaming treasure, and Rodriguez has been involved in several games in the past as well. They're both legit.

Aug 10, 2019

I'm sad that the Riddick franchise seems to be dead. Those games were awesome.
I didn't know Diesel was a gamer, it would have been better if they had just said your people instead of our. I remember her voice acting in Halo 2 and that's a cool thing to bring up, but don't bullshit us, we can smell it coming from a mile away.

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
After trying out some of those indie game demos on Steam, I now know what my favorite part of this year's TGAs is: Yep, the Games Festival in cooperation with Steam. Some amazing stuff there. Games I was already interested in (like Haven) in and some games I completely overlooekd (like Westward) and immediatelly wishlisted. I hope they continue to do this.