• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MrS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No it's right to say so because it's my opinion that Nier had more impact on the industry - "importance" and "impact" don't have to be linked with sales or popularity. Nier is a way more important game because of what it did and also because of how it got made.
I love Nier: Automata too but the success of PUBG has created a new genre, or at least has mastered Battle Royale, in the way that GTA 3 did with open world. We will see loads of games try to replicate PUBG in the next couple of years - every publisher is watching this game and looking at ways to copy it and rip it off. To deny PUBGs impact on the industry is absurd. PUBG is way more impactful and influential than Nier: Automata.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
To those saying PUBG created a genre: it didn't. Battle royale games have been around for a few years. PUBG is like the Kardashians of video games. Famous for being famous, nothing of actual substance.

It was hilarious to see them try to sue Epic

Gonna suck for them when big studios start pumping out their own Battle Royale games.

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
To those saying PUBG created a genre: it didn't. Battle royale games have been around for a few years. PUBG is like the Kardashians of video games. Famous for being famous, nothing of actual substance.

No but it refined and pushed the genre to a level which has a huge impact on the experience.

Its like saying SF2,GTA3,Dota didnt create the genre.... None of them were the first. But they are by far the most influential.

Deleted member 4037

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ya wasnt the culling the same type of game and came out before pubg? If anything pubg just made the genre more popular than actually inventing it.

-aigis, imo

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Why people like and praise PUBG has little to do with sales and everything to do with gameplay

I said once on the other forum that PUBG is the accessible middleground between ARMA's intense tactical combat and Battlefield's hectic causal fun

I'd recommend checking out these
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/20...grounds-is-easy-in-ways-other-games-are-hard/
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/07/25/the-tactics-and-tension-of-playerunknowns-battlegrounds/

Parenegade

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's influential and popular sure, but it's not important. It has no real value as an important game for the medium as some semi fun social game that you get bored with in a few hours.

That YOU get bored with in a few hrs. I've played it for like 80 hrs and am planning on playing more. How the hell do you decide what's important or not?

Deleted member 32679

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
No it's right to say so because it's my opinion that Nier had more impact on the industry - "importance" and "impact" don't have to be linked with sales or popularity. Nier is a way more important game because of what it did and also because of how it got made.

Nier Automata is a genre defying masterpiece with one of the most important narratives in the medium and is overall one of the best games to ever come out in years - and it had no business being made, almost didn't get made, and through word of mouth alone found significant popularity to the point where it saved Platinum Games and positively effected Square Enix's outlook on continuing to put out single player traditional Japanese games and not focus entirely on mobile.
9S campaign almost made me quit playing. The combat in general was shallow.

Oct 28, 2017
how the fuck is Overwatch F2P

do you know what F2P means?

someone give me back my $60

I know exactly what is an F2P game and Overwatch fits that criteria in every single way. Just because they charged you $40-$60 for the base game does not make it a fully fledged game in the likes of Uncharted 4. Its a shame that Blizzard charged that much for a game that offers as much as any other F2P game (example: WarFrame).

Niceguydan8

Nov 1, 2017
When it's described as "action genre focused on combat" I think of games like Nioh, Devil May Cry, Ninja Gaiden, Bayonetta, Nier Automata etc.

Not...fucking Destiny LOL.

"Action" is a really broad term. Destiny absolutely is an action game. The games you are talking about are typically labeled character action games, which fall under action games.

Mostly, Action games encompass a ton of different genres and Destiny absolutely falls into the category of an action game.

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
It's influential and popular sure, but it's not important. It has no real value as an important game for the medium as some semi fun social game that you get bored with in a few hours.

Yes that is your opinion. Not the opinion of the 2 million concurrent players. Or the opinion of people who have put in hundreds of hours into it.

If PUGB won, would it change gaming like league did for MOBAs?

PUBG is doing that already. Regardless if some random Award shows recognizes them for it or not.
VGA doesn't have as big as an impact as you are assuming.

At best , these award ceremonies help out smaller titles get more sales due to recognition.
But its not going to affect sales of big 10m+ Sellers.

Mark H

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure why people are unhappy that PUBG is in there?
Early access doesn't mean much when the game is available to buy for anybody, gameplay looks really solid to the point it gained huge player numbers from wom, and its influence in the industry is unquestionable where it has created its own genre.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
nioh won my heart and I went into it thinking it would be a generic souls clone
it deserved more nominations

Oct 28, 2017
Lol, such a bland, condescending statement. Let alone, wrong.

Its condescending but justified based on the fact that Overwatch oversells itself as this game that "consistently" offers content such as characters and maps. In reality, they give off breadcrumbs worth of content to players and say "look, here is the dlc we promised!" to make it seem like that $40 purchase was justified. I won't even get into the issue of their exploitation of lootboxes.

pulga

Banned for alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I know exactly what is an F2P game and Overwatch fits that criteria in every single way. Just because they charged you $40-$60 for the base game does not make it a fully fledged game in the likes of Uncharted 4. Its a shame that Blizzard charged that much for a game that offers as much as any other F2P game (example: WarFrame).

Yeah you don't know exactly what that means, like, not at all

I'm not even going to bother with your assertion Overwatch is not a fully fledged game lmao, first game I've ever poured over 200 hours into, vs. a one and done 8 hour game

Please be a better GamingEnthusiast

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If PUBG can get in by popularity and influence, why weren't games like King of Glory, Pokémon Go or Fate Grand/Order running for GOTY? They are huge in popularity, defined/popularized/mastered their genres and impacted the whole industry. Just seems like PUBG is getting a pass because it catters to the main demographics watching the show and isn't really a game being nominated for its quality.

Z..

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Prey got one nomination and that's for Best Action game.

Not Best Art...not best Music....

Disgusting

--

Anyway GOTY this year is pretty clear cut. Gonna be between PUBG and a Nintendo game

As someone who quite enjoyed Prey, it just didn't stand a chance, sadly. Take solace in the fact that the awards are meaningless and devoid of any actual worth or prestige.

MrS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yep, Fortnite is already starting to eat PUBG's lunch as well. When more studios put out more well made battle royale games I can see people moving on from PUBG.
Fortnite Battle Royale will be in my top 10 games of the year list. That thing is like crack. Solos and Duos are so much fun. Add in the fact that it's free and I can't really say a bad word about the game. Epic has a great opportunity to make Fortnite the de facto Battle Royale game on PS4 as the Microsoft/PUBG fuckery continues.

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
"Action" is a really broad term. Destiny absolutely is an action game. The games you are talking about are typically labeled character action games, which fall under action games.

Mostly, Action games encompass a ton of different genres and Destiny absolutely falls into the category of an action game.

Categories are always tough. I mean, what defines adventure. Destiny 2 is also very much an adventure based game.

I don't know, given the popularity of the genre I don't know why they don't just have "First Person Shooter." Every year, there would be plenty to fill up on that.

Whereas action I see Nioh, Nier Automata, Horizon Zero Dawn, Cuphead etc.

Like, Nioh's fucked. There is no way it's winning that category on public popularity content vote when it has to go up against the Coca - Cola of video games that is Destiny 2. Which is a shame, since - in my opinion, it's the truest representation of 'action' as I see it.

Deleted member 4037

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Its condescending but justified based on the fact that Overwatch oversells itself as this game that "consistently" offers content such as characters and maps. In reality, they give off breadcrumbs worth of content to players and say "look, here is the dlc we promised!" to make it seem like that $40 purchase was justified.
I dunno, overwatch as a whole is pretty tight mechanically which most F2P type games dont really offer and they do come out with content for free. They engage with the community and dont have a pay to win economy like some other games (*cough* SWBF2 *cough*). If you dont think what is there is worth the price tag thats up to you, but I wouldnt label it a F2P type game.

-aigis, imo

Deleted member 426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man this is just 'Lets all shit on great games that aren't the one I'm most emotionally attached to: the thread', isn't it?

Courage

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
It's famous for a reason. Playerunknown is the pioneer of the genre and PUBG is what made it mainstream. He refined what was there in other games and made THE Battle Royale game, not another mode in an existing game that wasn't built for it.

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
If PUBG can get in by popularity and influence, why weren't games like King of Glory, Pokémon Go or Fate Grand/Order running for GOTY? They are huge in popularity, defined/popularized/mastered their genres and impacted the whole industry. Just seems like PUBG is getting a pass because it catters to the main demographics watching the show and isn't really a game being nominated for its quality.

Pretty much.

You wouldn't have seen games like League,Dota 1 nominated for any awards back in the day. But once it became so huge , you did see those games show up.
Thats why you also see the sudden rise of eSports awards and awards for GaaS.

These awards are usually just more or less marketing tactics based on demographics. It is pretty hard to objectively compare a game across different genres. That is why its usually the same safe genres that win everywhere. Except when there is a major breakthrough in something else like OW,PUBG..etc.

SgtCobra

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine PUBG winning, death threats everywhere!
I expect and even hope that Mario Odyssey wins, that game was great.

Incredible that a PC exclusive is on that list. Not bad for a dying platform.
I know you're kidding but this whole "PC is dying" sentiment has died off like 7 years ago.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PUBG has 24h player peaks of 2.5 million players on Steam, with 20 million copies sold to date. It's more popular than most of the other GOTY candidates put together.

And for some reason people are surprised this game is on a GOTY list.

chirt

Oct 25, 2017
Anything but PUBG and I'll be happy. I like the game but it is just not complete or stable yet.
I've played the other 4 and they were all amazing. My personal pick is Persona 5 but by the slimmest margins.

SnowCrow

Oct 25, 2017
Nice to see some Japanese games for GOTY there again after their absence last year.

Personally hoping for Persona 5 to win. Haven't played Odyssey, Breath of the Wild, or Horizon yet but I'm sure they're great as well.

Not interested in PUBG winning honestly. Though if winning makes it so more devs make Battle Royale games then I'm all for it. Less realistic BR games like Fortnite are the type I like better.

The_Strokes

Oct 25, 2017
México
Its condescending but justified based on the fact that Overwatch oversells itself as this game that "consistently" offers content such as characters and maps. In reality, they give off breadcrumbs worth of content to players and say "look, here is the dlc we promised!" to make it seem like that $40 purchase was justified. I won't even get into the issue of their exploitation of lootboxes.

First of all, you're overlooking the fact that Overwatch is leaps and bounds more polished in terms of gameplay than your standard free to play and the fact that the lootboxes have an incredibly inconsequential meaning to it.

What's your issue with cosmetic lootboxes? Is it as destructive as nearly every other lootbox system implemented in F2P or (now) 60 dollars game? How do you justify the fact that based on gameplay alone I've invested 400% more of my time on OW rather than a halfassed copy like Paladins? Explain to me how do you quantify the true value of a videogame based on amount of content and not the quality of it.

I'm all ears.

Niceguydan8

Nov 1, 2017
Yep, Fortnite is already starting to eat PUBG's lunch as well. When more studios put out more well made battle royale games I can see people moving on from PUBG.

Yeah, one of my concerns with PUBG is that I don't think it will be really memorable after a big studio comes along and puts out a really polished version of essentially the same game.

I really love PUBG, but I think the janky design of the game will really hurt its long term legacy.

Deleted member 225

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PUBG is fun to play, but it's also one of the most boring games aesthetically and stylistically. It has no personality, especially when you compare it games like Odyssey, Breath of the Wild, and Persona 5 which all have a great look, on top of being great games.

Mark H

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, I wouldn't exactly object if any of the titles you mentioned were included, especially Pokemon GO which became a social phenomenon.
Maybe it might be better to have a separate category like "Most influential title".

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah you don't know exactly what that means, like, not at all

I'm not even going to bother with your assertion Overwatch is not a fully fledged game lmao, first game I've ever poured over 200 hours into, vs. a one and done 8 hour game

Please be a better GamingEnthusiast

Uncharted 4 is not a "one and done 8 hour game" by any stretch of the imagination. The single player campaign is lengthy and much more than 8 hours. Don't forget the countless of hours that Uncharted's multiplayer can offer to its players.

Just because you spend 200 hours on a game does not mean the game is fully fledged full of content that isn't offered by other well known F2P games. The fact that WarFrame exists and still hasn't asked players to give them $40 just to access their base game confirms my statement regarding Overwatch being a glorified F2P shooter.

It doesn't mean its a bad game though.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
hmm...trending gamer. is there gonna be a description of about how these people affected the industry? i honestly don't recognize anyone except Andrea and she's been around for awhile. Ablegamers seems like the default choice though.

Mik317

Oct 25, 2017
PUBG is going to win (and due to its impact/popularity it isn't that bad of a choice regardless if I get it or not; i dont) and people are going to lose their shit

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I'm just confused by Breath of the Wild making it onto the best OST nominations. Sound design is fair and well deserved, but there's at least 10 better choices for soundtrack.

Courage

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
PUBG is fun to play, but it's also one of the most boring games aesthetically and stylistically. It has no personality, especially when you compare it games like Odyssey, Breath of the Wild, and Persona 5 which all have a great look, on top of being great games.
I actually like the way it looks. It plays the premise straight and thus looks like a grounded military shooter. Not everything has to be heavily stylized. It makes the goofy shit that happens in the game even funnier due to that contrast.

FromAshesRise

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The majority of that does not make the game "important."

It means you liked it and you're happy it got made.

You're describing Nier's importance to the publisher that made it and perhaps to you personally. Yes, it changed Square Enix's outlook on what games they produce.

PUBG impacted the industry as a whole and essentially created a genre that will continue to grow over the next few years. The game is a phenomenon.

(Of course, you also said that Odyssey was more important too, which again seems silly. Odyssey is not more important to the industry than PUBG.)

This entire post is full of so many logical fallacies that I'm not responding to you seriously anymore.

I love Nier: Automata too but the success of PUBG has created a new genre, or at least has mastered Battle Royale, in the way that GTA 3 did with open world. We will see loads of games try to replicate PUBG in the next couple of years - every publisher is watching this game and looking at ways to copy it and rip it off. To deny PUBGs impact on the industry is absurd. PUBG is way more impactful and influential than Nier: Automata.

That YOU get bored with in a few hrs. I've played it for like 80 hrs and am planning on playing more. How the hell do you decide what's important or not?

9S campaign almost made me quit playing. The combat in general was shallow.

Yes that is your opinion. Not the opinion of the 2 million concurrent players. Or the opinion of people who have put in hundreds of hours into it.

PUBG is doing that already. Regardless if some random Award shows recognizes them for it or not.
VGA doesn't have as big as an impact as you are assuming.

At best , these award ceremonies help out smaller titles get more sales due to recognition.
But its not going to affect sales of big 10m+ Sellers.

Not a single iota of anything here is some kind of axiomatic fact. Your opinion isn't fact. What someone decides to present an award to is THEIR OPINION. It's not a denotation of fact. This strawman bullshit of "hurr that's ur opinion but the fact is that this boring third person arma mod* is da most important game of 2017" doesn't change the fact that this is your opinion - just like it's my opinion that Nier is a better and more important game because it's a better game by miles.

My initial response was to someone's claim that PUBG was the most important game of 2017, or one of the most, which I don't agree with. Especially if the reasoning is founded upon the game's popularity, which doesn't even fall into the DEFINITION OF THE WORD 'IMPORTANT'. None of this conversation or discussion is cemented on fact. Again "UR JUST STATING UR OPINION BUT DA FACT IS THIS" is not a coherent or logical defense.

*obviously a joke

Last edited: