• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 28, 2017
First of all, you're overlooking the fact that Overwatch is leaps and bounds more polished in terms of gameplay than your standard free to play and the fact that the lootboxes have an incredibly inconsequential meaning to it.

What's your issue with cosmetic lootboxes? Is it as destructive as nearly every other lootbox system implemented in F2P or (now) 60 dollars game? How do you justify the fact that based on gameplay alone I've invested 400% more of my time on OW rather than a halfassed copy like Paladins? Explain to me how do you quantify the true value of a videogame based on amount of content and not the quality of it.

I'm all ears.

you-got-me.gif

FromAshesRise

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So you just have no idea what you're talking about. The post you responded to had no logical fallacies. Your post, however, is built upon one. You can think that Nier is a better game than PUBG. Whether it's more important than PUBG isn't even up for debate. It's not. And if you believe otherwise, that doesn't make you just another person with an opinion. That makes you ignorant, period.

Of course it's up for debate. The fact that you even think it's some kind of axiomatic rule of law is kind of horrifying. Like, it only takes a few seconds of your time to look up what the word "important" means. It's entirely subjective.

I said it before and I'll say it again, if this was a discussion about the game's popularity or sales, I would agree that these are hard facts. There's no denying that PUBG is one of the biggest selling games of this year (and I only say 'one of' because we don't get all the hard sales numbers for the big tentpole AAA games like COD and BattleFront II - it's entirely possible that PUBG was the top selling game this year period). But that doesn't necessarily equate to "importance". GTAV outsold A Link To The Past, but I'd argue that A Link To The Past is more important by a mile.

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
I could see PUBG losing because the other games were definitely more popular among the Target Audience for this show.

A huge percentage of PUBG population is in China. Also most gamers who play these MP focussed games like Pubg,Dota,league..etc , typically dont really give a shit about Game awards and what not.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I'm really bummed that the other voters didn't put Statik into the running for Best VR Game. Solid noms list otherwise. Happy that Tooth & Tail and Pyre broke through, though I'd have loved to see Pyre in the "best sports" category, since it's one of the best three-on-three team video games of all freaking time.
Do people still play Pyre online?

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
I sometimes wonder whether people who say things like, "2012/13/14/15/16/17 was a bad year for games" actually, you know, play games. How do people... fail to remember the actual games that were released in a particular year?

Don't feel like completely shitting on your post, so I will just respond to this bit.

Yes, I play games.

I beat DA:I despite it being completely unfun for me to play through, and no I would not say it is the best game that released that year. I had a lot going on in 2014 so it's hard to remember every little piece of media that released that year. I forgot Bayo 2 dropped that year, but yeah; robbery.

Not sure why you are naming all those years when I specifically said 2014. Where are all these post saying those other years you named were bad?[

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
First of all an early access title has no business being on a game of the year list. Standards? Like come on. That's like putting a movie on TV then wanting an academy award. It wasn't released theatrically/officially. Geoff I'm disappointed. Second of all even if PUBG had released this year, it still isn't on the level of Mario, Persona or Zelda.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Quite a lot since I have friends that stream it. I respect how big the game has grown, but I think the game is complete shit.

Hold on everyone, he knows people who play it.

So obviously he's in a position to call it "complete shit."

Yeah, if it wasn't obvious before that this guy has some sort of strange seething anger towards PUBG because it's popular, it should be now.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Of course it's up for debate. The fact that you even think it's some kind of axiomatic rule of law is kind of horrifying. Like, it only takes a few seconds of your time to look up what the word "important" means. It's entirely subjective.
"of great significance or value; likely to have a profound effect on success, survival, or well-being."

Would you like to explain to me how that definition is intrinsically subjective?

No, you don't have to. It's not relevant. You can keep pointing out how the definition of 'importance' is subjective from your perspective, and I can call out your insistence that games which have had far less impact and presence in the industry and within gaming communities are 'more important'. If you can't qualify that statement against the apparent realities of PUBG's ongoing success and influence, then it doesn't matter if importance is subjective, because in that case, I'm calling you out on how you have not begun to justify that opinion.

FamousLastX

Oct 25, 2017
Persona 5 is my personal game of the year, but I'm sure that Mario or Zelda take it. All fantastic games though and can definitely see arguments being made for all of them. Hopefully they all manage to win at least one award of some kind in the various categories, because they're all deserving.

JayCB64

Oct 25, 2017
Wales
Breath of the Wild should win this easily. Mario is the only competition there, and I say that as someone who adored Horizon.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Literally every sentence is a straw man fallacy here.

You keep throwing out terms without knowing what they mean.

I literally quoted you. That isn't a straw man. You literally said you knew about the game because you have friends who play it. And then managed to somehow decide it was "complete shit."

You're trolling a game that you haven't played. (Or, I'll try to give you the benefit of the doubt, perhaps played for a few minutes.)

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Don't feel like completely shitting on your post, so I will just respond to this bit.

Yes, I play games.

I beat DA:I despite it being completely unfun for me to play through, and no I would not say it is the best game that released that year. I had a lot going on in 2014 so it's hard to remember every little piece of media that released that year. I forgot Bayo 2 dropped that year, but yeah; robbery.

Not sure why you are naming all those years when I specifically said 2014. Where are all these post saying those other years you named were bad?[
Because it doesn't matter what year you said. Literally any year would be equally as ludicrous. You can pick a random year, and that year had fantastic games released in it. Just because you or I didn't personally like some of those games, or even all of those games, doesn't change that fact. The entire premise of "Was X year a bad year" is incredibly dumb because every year for the past 20 odd years has had amazing games being released every year.

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I bet the crowd that keeps saying Horizon is a bad game and does not deserve to be nominated is the same that kept pushing the narrative that the game would suck ("Guerrila never made a good game!!!") and be a critical flop before the release.

Oct 29, 2017
I am feeling a strong Zelda on this one.

Horizon and PUBG are great games but they don't have enough time as franchises to back them up and establish a real foundation in the community yet. Persona 5 is too niche, and Odyssey just feels a little too iterative.

BOTW has a nice foundation in the respected Zelda line of games, well also bringing new ideas that are a "breath" of new life into the series.

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
in terms of volatility im thinking:

pubg > horizon > P5 > mario > zelda

-aigis, imo
I would agree with this, except I think you should definitely swap Horizon and P5 .. I feel like Horizon has a lot of support as Sony's major first-party prestige release for 2017, and has also been gaining mindshare as the year progresses thanks to great support from GG and the recent single player DLC. Plus it is in a very GOTY-friendly genre.

On the other hand, Persona is more niche and I feel like there is a growing backlash against the game even among its core fan base.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I said it before and I'll say it again, if this was a discussion about the game's popularity or sales, I would agree that these are hard facts. There's no denying that PUBG is one of the biggest selling games of this year (and I only say 'one of' because we don't get all the hard sales numbers for the big tentpole AAA games like COD and BattleFront II - it's entirely possible that PUBG was the top selling game this year period). But that doesn't necessarily equate to "importance". GTAV outsold A Link To The Past, but I'd argue that A Link To The Past is more important by a mile.

I see your point, but I don't see how PUBG's explosive popularity, its omnipresence on streaming outlets leading to the sudden clamor for what's generally regarded as a new genre of multiplayer game, it's ability to bring millions of new PC gamers into the fold, and it's sustained growth doesn't put it up there in terms of importance with games like BoTW and even Nier which are generally considered 'important' for their design, execution, and for, in their own way, bringing new players into the fold. PUBG has been the most watched and talked about game of 2017 by a pretty wide margin, and other developers are keen on emulating the PUBG experience in some way. It's got influence.

FromAshesRise

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"of great significance or value; likely to have a profound effect on success, survival, or well-being."

Would you like to explain to me how that definition is intrinsically subjective?

No, you don't have to. It's not relevant. You can keep pointing out how the definition of 'importance' is subjective from your perspective, and I can call out your insistence that games which have had far less impact and presence in the industry and within gaming communities are 'more important'. If you can't qualify that statement against the apparent realities of PUBG's ongoing success and influence, then it doesn't matter if importance is subjective, because in that case, I'm calling you out on how you have not begun to justify that opinion.

Yes, because concepts like significance and value are subjective and are inherently dependent on the person that finds significance or value in the first place? Are you serious?

I already justified my opinion. Nier Automata is a more complete video game that does more from both a narrative and a gameplay perspective that is fresh, and fundamentally different from most - if not all games that came out this year. The exact same can be said about Mario, Zelda, etc. In all 3 of these cases, they helped saved the companies that made them, so their development and release stories are a neat little ribbon to the whole thing from an industry standpoint.

Super Mario World probably had less "presence" within "gaming communities" than PUBG, would you say Super Mario World is less important than PUBG?

MrS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I bet the crowd that keeps saying Horizon is a bad game and does not deserve to be nominated is the same that kept pushing the narrative that the game would suck ("Guerrila never made a good game!!!") and be a critical flop before the release.
People see different things in different games. It's not that Horizon is bad, I just don't think it was as good as others do based on my time with it. It looks beautiful but it was ultimately an empty experience and the combat wore thin after 20 hours. I would have liked more side quests and more world building. I thought the mini dungeons were fantastic and that there should have been a lot more of them. Without wanting to sound to down on the game, I thought it was pure style over substance. I enjoyed it but it's not a top 5 game this year for me.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, because concepts like significance and value are subjective and are inherently dependent on the person that finds significance or value in the first place? Are you serious?

I already justified my opinion. Nier Automata is a more complete video game that does more from both a narrative and a gameplay perspective that is fresh, and fundamentally different from most - if not all games that came out this year. The exact same can be said about Mario, Zelda, etc. In all 3 of these cases, they helped saved the companies that made them, so their development and release stories are a neat little ribbon to the whole thing from an industry standpoint.

Super Mario World probably had less "presence" within "gaming communities" than PUBG, would you say Super Mario World is less important than PUBG?
Even though I consider Super Mario World to be far more of a design achievement than PUBG for its time... I would say that Super Mario World may be less important than PUBG, if I'm speaking strictly on both its contemporary and lasting impact and influence in the industry. Which is usually the judgement criteria for what constitutes an 'important' game in gaming discussions before qualifiers are introduced. Consider, for example, how many developers have cited SMW specifically as inspiration for their games, against the clear upcoming wave of BR modes and games which will almost unanimously find themselves derived from PUBG as a base. but I'd really have to think about it, given that's the flagship Mario game for Nintendo's 16 bit console, which means it's important in other contexts. From that same perspective, though, I'd say that PUBG is definitely more important than Nier, and Nier doesn't have the same importance within the context of the PS4's library to tip the scales.
I'd consider Super Mario Bros 1 and 3 to be more important than PUBG, for what it's worth. They laid the framework for and popularized what was, for a long time, console gaming's dominant genre, while helping to make Nintendo into a household name.

Last edited:

Deleted member 4037

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would agree with this, except I think you should definitely swap Horizon and P5 .. I feel like Horizon has a lot of support as Sony's major first-party prestige release for 2017, and has also been gaining mindshare as the year progresses thanks to great support from GG and the recent single player DLC. Plus it is in a very GOTY-friendly genre.

On the other hand, Persona is more niche and I feel like there is a growing backlash against the game even among its core fan base.
P5 is so different from the other titles that it wouldnt cause more of a shock wave than "my game didnt win". If Horizon were to win you know the comparisons to botw would be thrown in there immediately to explain why Horizon sucks and botw is a way better game on top of everything else. Im sure Sony fans would still take P5 as a win anyways as it is a Sony exclusive.

-aigis, imo

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017

Are you seriously saying when SMW came out in the 90s , it had less presence than PUBG does now? Wtf?

And yes SMW is less important than PUBG. SMB1 and Mario 64 are far more important games than SMW or PUBG.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It was a nice surprise to see a kinda competent list in the handheld section for once. I was happy to find Monster Hunter Stories there... But had to give Metroid my vote.

It was great to see Night In The Woods and even Golf Story too! I voted for them in Thought Provoking and Best Debut Indie game respectively.

As for the more "mainstream" awards, I voted Persona 5 for almost every category, I actually thought they wouldn't nominate it at all. Where the hell was Yakuza 0 though? Absolutely disgusting. Wish Dragon Ball Fighterz was part of the Most Anticipated category too.

Also, where do I vote so they can eliminate that trending gamer nonsense? I don't know any of those people but I have to assume at least one of them is a nazi lol.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz

Making it to the NBA means you're one of the better if not best basketball players in the world. It doesn't however mean you're gonna play on the Olympic team or be voted an all star. Horizon is your run of the mill NBA player. When you stand among giants you begin to feel small. It deserves the nomination but not the win.

FromAshesRise

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You keep throwing out terms without knowing what they mean.

I literally quoted you. That isn't a straw man. You literally said you knew about the game because you have friends who play it. And then managed to somehow decide it was "complete shit."

You're trolling a game that you haven't played. (Or, I'll try to give you the benefit of the doubt, perhaps played for a few minutes.)

You quoted me and made bullshit, illogical assumptions based on the quote that don't actually refer to what I said. I'll spell it out for you.

I said I know a lot about the game because I have friends that regularly stream it. I of course have played it myself, and feel like the game is trash. That's my opinion. You're welcome to disagree - and if you do, I'm glad you like it. Not that it matters, because whether or not I even played it in the first place is completely irrelevant to my point - which goes back to the fact that I don't consider a game's popularity and financial success to solely determine whether or not a game should win an award. So again, the fact that this discussion of whether or not I even played the game is even being discussed is a strawman fallacy as well.

Then you randomly claimed I have "seething rage" or whatever because I don't like a game, which is both hyperbole (ironic) and a strawman fallacy. I couldn't give less of a shit about PUBG or whether or not you like it.

So again, please don't bother replying with your illogical, incoherent arguments please.