• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

魑魅魍魎

Oct 25, 2017
dahell2.png

Dont be upset if horizon zero dawn wins.

Parenegade

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Of course it's up for debate. The fact that you even think it's some kind of axiomatic rule of law is kind of horrifying. Like, it only takes a few seconds of your time to look up what the word "important" means. It's entirely subjective.

I said it before and I'll say it again, if this was a discussion about the game's popularity or sales, I would agree that these are hard facts. There's no denying that PUBG is one of the biggest selling games of this year (and I only say 'one of' because we don't get all the hard sales numbers for the big tentpole AAA games like COD and BattleFront II - it's entirely possible that PUBG was the top selling game this year period). But that doesn't necessarily equate to "importance". GTAV outsold A Link To The Past, but I'd argue that A Link To The Past is more important by a mile.

lol what do YOU think important means?

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Because it doesn't matter what year you said. Literally any year would be equally as ludicrous. You can pick a random year, and that year had fantastic games released in it. Just because you or I didn't personally like some of those games, or even all of those games, doesn't change that fact. The entire premise of "Was X year a bad year" is incredibly dumb because every year for the past 20 odd years has had amazing games being released every year.

But Inquisition won. That makes it one of the worst GOTY winners ever!

Yes I know a ton of games release every year, yes the best game doesn't always win, yes it has to do with demographics, and yes the award means fuck all if you're able to deduce your own list of what games had an impact on you that year. I can go on and on. But I shutter to think that when we look back at 2014, I'll see Inquisition's box art in a frame.

You can look back at 2014 and this past year and clearly see that this year was FAR better for games. So yeah, if there aren't a lot of top notch games in a given year, it's safe to say it was a weak year even if there were one or two standout titles. Especially this year, where Mario and Zelda are going head to head when they could've contended any other year without having to meet head to head and win it.

Shayla

Oct 27, 2017
Since everyone will inevitably post their opinions as facts, I shall do the same and post what's wrong with these nominees.

*Please note despite the sorta sarcastic paragraph above, these are my 100% true opinions.

-Splatoon 2 not being a nominee for GOTY. It has become my favorite game of all time at 310+ hours played. The amount of fun I've had is unmatched.

-Splatoon 2 not nominated for best ongoing game. I don't know much about the other games, but as far as I'm aware PUGB has only had bugfixes, a few weapons, and cosmetics. So it should be replaced. Splatoon 2 has had two new maps, two retro maps from Splatoon 1, new Co-Op map, a new weapon type, a new special, and a new weapon set each week. This is truly a travesty.

-The handheld category not having Splatoon 2, Mario Odyssey, and BOTW on it. All 700+ hours on my Switch have been on portable, therefore Switch is a dedicated portable. What's even the point of this category when it's already dead next year? Shameful.

Danganronpa V3 not being in best story. The final chapter is the single greatest story event in all of gaming. I don't even know why any others get nominated here. They all lose.

And Finally: Yomawari: Midnight Shadows as well as A Rose in the Twilight not being in GOTY, best art, best sound, and best experience. A failure to end all failures.

Seriously though. I don't connect with most of these but mostly nice choices I guess.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
lol what do YOU think important means?

It means the game he liked the best.

He's used words like "illogical," "strawman," and "fallacy" in every post, hoping it would eventually be true. The same likely applies to "important."

He's absolutely ridiculous and it reached meltdown status a while ago.

I almost want PUBG to win now and I don't even think it should be allowed to be nominated!

NullPointer

Oct 27, 2017
Mars
Dont be upset if horizon zero dawn wins.
Even better is not being upset at any of them winning. Its not like any of them are bad games, and none of them are without their share of issues.

Its actually kindof sucks that gaming is so much about picking a one-true-winner, when every game on those lists, as well as others that didn't make it, are worthy of recognition and praise. Especially since its so common to see games lifted up by way of crapping on the others.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Since everyone will inevitably post their opinions as facts, I shall do the same and post what's wrong with these nominees.

*Please note despite the sorta sarcastic paragraph above, these are my 100% true opinions.

-Splatoon 2 not being a nominee for GOTY. It has become my favorite game of all time at 310+ hours played. The amount of fun I've had is unmatched.

-Splatoon 2 not nominated for best ongoing game. I don't know much about the other games, but as far as I'm aware PUGB has only had bugfixes, a few weapons, and cosmetics. So it should be replaced. Splatoon 2 has had two new maps, two retro maps from Splatoon 1, new Co-Op map, a new weapon type, a new special, and a new weapon set each week. This is truly a travesty.

-The handheld category not having Splatoon 2, Mario Odyssey, and BOTW on it. All 700+ hours on my Switch have been on portable, therefore Switch is a dedicated portable. What's even the point of this category when it's already dead next year? Shameful.

Danganronpa V3 not being in best story. The final chapter is the single greatest story event in all of gaming. I don't even know why any others get nominated here. They all lose.

And Finally: Yomawari: Midnight Shadows as well as A Rose in the Twilight not being in GOTY, best art, best sound, and best experience. A failure to end all failures.

Seriously though. I don't connect with most of these but mostly nice choices I guess.

I think it's kind of crazy that Splatoon 2 (a finished product) isn't making the cut, but PUBG just slides up in there because of the traffic it generates.

Deleted member 4037

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ya that category is a joke this year, they left out P5 even which is primarily a narrative driven game. I kind of figured Danganronpa V3 was too small to get their attention, but it deserves a nod dammit.

-aigis, imo

FromAshesRise

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Even though I consider Super Mario World to be far more of a design achievement than PUBG for its time... I would say that Super Mario World may be less important than PUBG, if I'm speaking strictly on both its contemporary and lasting impact and influence in the industry. Which is usually the judgement criteria for what constitutes an 'important' game in gaming discussions before qualifiers are introduced. Consider, for example, how many developers have cited SMW specifically as inspiration for their games, against the clear upcoming wave of BR modes and games which will almost unanimously find themselves derived from PUBG as a base. but I'd really have to think about it, given that's the flagship Mario game for Nintendo's 16 bit console, which means it's important in other contexts. From that same perspective, though, I'd say that PUBG is definitely more important than Nier, and Nier doesn't have the same importance within the context of the PS4's library to tip the scales.
I'd consider Super Mario Bros 1 and 3 to be more important than PUBG, for what it's worth. They laid the framework for and popularized what was, for a long time, console gaming's dominant genre, while helping to make Nintendo into a household name.

But all of these points you are making are your opinion. In fact, you even qualify every single point with "I'd say" or "I would say" - further confirming this whole time your holier than thou crusade against my opinions was complete bullshit.

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Making it to the NBA means you're one of the better if not best basketball players in the world. It doesn't however mean you're gonna play on the Olympic team or be voted an all star. Horizon is your run of the mill NBA player. When you stand among giants you begin to feel small. It deserves the nomination but not the win.

Talk about pretentious lmao

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Even better is not being upset at any of them winning. Its not like any of them are bad games, and none of them are without their share of issues.

Its actually kindof sucks that gaming is so much about picking a one-true-winner, when every game on those lists, as well as others that didn't make it, are worthy of recognition and praise.

What, literally every medium has their own award show thingy. Gaming isn't alone in this. As long as you like what you like it's all good, right?

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I think Nioh should've replaced Wolfenstein in regards to Game Design. Simply for the ki pulse alone. Such a great, new mechanic, and twist to stamina management.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
yea, no Splatoon 2 for ongoing game is weird.

I mean, Splatoon 1 was the same concept so it's not like it's unknown.

FromAshesRise

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It means the game he liked the best.

He's used words like "illogical," "strawman," and "fallacy" in every post, hoping it would eventually be true. The same likely applies to "important."

He's absolutely ridiculous and it reached meltdown status a while ago.

I almost want PUBG to win now and I don't even think it should be allowed to be nominated!

Nothing gets past you, sleuth.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But Inquisition won. That makes it one of the worst GOTY winners ever!
Just because you don't like Inquisition doesn't mean it wasn't worthy of GOTY. It's like getting upset that The Witcher 3 won GOTY when it was "so totally overrated, guys!"

You can look back at 2014 and this past year and clearly see that this year was FAR better for games.
Matter of opinion. I think what this boils down to is that 2017 had more games that YOU liked. You didn't like Dragon Age: Inquisition. You'd probably be flabbergasted if DA: I won GOTY over something like Breath of the Wild. Is Breath of the Wild a good game or a bad one? Does it deserve GOTY more than Shadow of Mordor, another acclaimed title with a rocky post-honeymoon period, did? Matter of opinion.

End of the day, each year has consistently quality games regardless of whether we personally liked them. One could argue that 2014's Wolfenstein: The New Order was a better game than anything 2017 had to offer. That would be a valid opinion. Which one is "better" is purely subjective.

Get Even had arguably the best story, acting, and soundtrack of a videogame of 2017. You don't see me getting ratty because it was "robbed" of its GOTY nominations.

FromAshesRise

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Game Awards has categories for games to be valued specifically as art.

That's not really the stated purpose of the GOTY category.

Oh shit Geoff, thanks for clearing this up for me. Since you wrote the categories for the awards yourself 1)where can I find "the stated purpose" of said categories and 2) why would you only have one category that recognizes an artistic medium as art?

orthodoxy1095

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Oh shit Geoff, thanks for clearing this up for me. Since you wrote the categories for the awards yourself 1)where can I find "the stated purpose" of said categories and 2) why would you only have one category that recognizes an artistic medium as art?
They're literally on the goddamn website smartass.

And there are multiple categories for "artistic" aspects.

Majik13

Oct 27, 2017
Having played 3 of those, HZD, BoTW and Mario, and only finishing BoTW so far. My prediction is that it will be BoTW.

KamenRiderEra

Oct 25, 2017
All amazing games that easily should win on that Dragon Age Inquisition year....... Now it's between Mario and Zelda, honestly.

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I was hoping Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice would sneak into some major site's GOTY lists...

Xwing

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
Things repeated multiple times in this thread I agree with:

1. PUBG shouldn't be nominated before an actual final release

2. Splatoon 2 not being nominated for any category is fucked up. Edit: Nevermind, someone pointed out the Multiplayer and Family categories that I somehow missed!

3. I'd be happy if Zelda, Mario, or Persona 5 won. While Horizon Zero Dawn is a really good game, does not stack up to those three.

Last edited:

Hazz3r

Nov 3, 2017
Actually, does anyone know the nomination criteria? This can't just be a popularity contest. There needs to be some sense of impartiality.
Nominees for The Game Awards are selected by an international jury of 51 global media and influencer outlets, selected for their history of critically and editorially evaluating video games. The list of outlets is available here.

Each outlet completes a confidential, unranked ballot based on the collective and diverse opinion of its entire editorial staff, listing their 5 picks in each category. These ballots are tabulated, and the five games that appeared on the most ballots receive a nomination. In the event of a tie, six (or more) nominees will be announced in a category.

A separate esports jury, comprised of leading media outlets focused on esports coverage, determines the nominees in the three esports categories.

Outlets are given the opportunity to vote in every category, but also encouraged to leave the ballot blank in certain categories if they are unfamiliar with all the eligible titles.

Given the sheer number of game released each year, as well as the extended time required to fully evaluate said products, a "voting outlet" approach allows for the widest possible critical assessment. A ballot submitted to The Game Awards represents the collective opinion of an entire outlet, not one individual's point of view.

Are early access games eligible for The Game Awards?
Yes, any games available for public consumption by the deadline are eligible for potential nomination. It's up to the jury to decide if a title warrants nomination for creative and/or technical excellence in any given year.

Source: http://thegameawards.com/faq-rules/

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
Yakuza 0 not getting a GOTY nom is disappointing, but expected. But Y0 not even getting a nom for Best Narrative? What a farce.

Filament Star

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I didn't like the ending of D3 at all personally. I was pretty disappointed that they went with that kind of twist.

Regardless, the answer to "why isn't niche game nominated" is 99% of the time that none of the panelists played it.

That's a problem with video game awards. I mean all award shows are just a group of people's opinions, but at least with something like the Oscars there's an understanding that they watch everything (I think.) Whereas there's no chance anyone involved in this production touched "Yomawari: Midnight Shadows."

Parenegade

Banned
Oct 25, 2017