• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

HDMF76

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My vote goes to Breath of The Wild, a really amazing experience, and also a happy game which feels good to play and a sense of child-like wonder was often felt while exploring the world. Can't wait for the DLC.

HylianHero12

Oct 27, 2017
Ohio
Another Ryujehong fan! I am really surprised--happy, but surprised--that a support player is being recognized with the nomination. I mean, I think it is 100% the right choice as far as Overwatch players go, but I would have expected a dps player and/or famous streamer to get the recognition. The choice speaks well for whatever the nominating process is that they are using.
I think he's probably one of the best if not the best player in the game. He flexes quite often. I remember one game where he started on Zarya, switched to Widowmaker on point B, and ended the match on Soldier.

Apenheul

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
Lots of games that former colleagues worked on are nominated (Horizon Zero Dawn,, Resident Evil 7, Monster Hunter World, Destiny 2, Hidden Folks) but I tried to net let that influence my voting. Also in some categories I haven't played a single game so I didn't vote for those categories.

Game of The Year
• The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Nintendo EPD / Nintendo

Best Game Direction

Best Narrative
• NieR: Automata - Platinum Games / Square Enix

Best Art Direction
• Horizon Zero Dawn - Guerrilla Games / Sony Interactive Entertainment

Best Score / Music
• NieR: Automata - Platinum Games / Square Enix

Games for Impact
• Night in the Woods - Infinite Fall

Best Ongoing Game
• PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds - PUBG Corp.

Best Mobile Game
• Hidden Folks - Adriaan de Jongh / Sylvain Tegroeg

Best Handheld Game
• Metroid: Samus Returns - MercurySteam / Nintendo

Best VR / AR Game
• Resident Evil 7: Biohazard - Capcom

Best Action Game
• Nioh - Team Ninja / Sony Interactive Entertainment

Best Action / Adventure Game

Best Role Playing Game
• Divinity: Original Sin 2 - Larian Studios

Best Fighting Game
• Injustice 2 - NetherRealm Studios / Warner Bros. Interactive Ent

Best Family Game
• Super Mario Odyssey - Nintendo EPD / Nintendo

Best Strategy Game
• XCOM 2: War of the Chosen - Firaxis Games / 2K

Best Sports / Racing Game
• Forza Motorsport 7 - Turn 10 Studios / Microsoft Studios

Best Multiplayer
• PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds - PUBG Corp.

Most Anticipated Game
• Red Dead Redemption II - Rockstar Games

Best Independent Game
• Night in the Woods - Infinite Fall

Best Esports Game
• League of Legends - Riot

Best Esports Player
• Lee sang-hyeok "Faker" - SK Telecom 1, League of Legends

Best Esports Team
• SK Telecom 1

Best Debut Indie Game

• Hollow Knight - Team Cherry

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Again I'm not making the sales argument, the guy I quoted was. Sales may not matter but influence sure as shit should. It's the biggest game in the industry right now. Regardless of sales.

Anime is a niche art Style that a lot of people dont like. It doesn't have mass appeal like pubg. Mass appeal to the point if influencing their competitors is pretty huge. It's the market leader, it's innovatve and people are flocking to it. Fuck the sales, pubg is the game of the year.

And yeah, creepy kids. Anime is always about young children and to a lot of people, it's fucking creepy. You can call it shallow but it is the reality here. Anime comes off as creepy.

It's creepy to have stories about teenagers? That's even ignoring the slew of anime that doesn't involve "children."

Also "anime artstyle" is weird as anime is incredibly varied.

Like I understand that there are aspects of anime people dislike, goodness knows there are plenty of shows I like that I'd probably not recommend to certain people. But throwing all of it into the same category is shallow.

Your original post was that "anime" being GotY was "disgusting" which is some ridiculous hyperbole.

Also your post seems to imply there's some sort of universal rule set for GotY. There isn't. People have different taste and their vote will show that. So while you think pubg and it's influnce justifies it being goty as someone who only plays a few multiplayer games I don't care and would sooner vote for Persona or Zelda.

MagnesG

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Why AC:origins and Witcher 3 are not being compared to those two games? because they didn't release one week from the other two and they don't have the exclusive tag attached to them to encourage this quite honestly tired and obvious two sides arguing over their favorite exclusive. I don't mean you or anyone in particular but the arguments have been overly done after 8 months.
For the sake of record, but I thought Horizon comparison started already before BOTW even launched, saying it gonna top this and that.

Still a great game. But if people still want to play mainstream rehashed open world games without breakout I can only smh.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
Anime is always about young children.
DTVZWhs.png

Deleted member 19213

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
While I like watching these awards for new announcements, I kind of feel like it's the "Spread the love" awards than a real award show. It's the type of award show that will grant Zelda GOTY, but Mario Odyssey the best Switch game.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Pyre got robbed from Best Sports Game >:(
Should've been in Best Sound Design and Best Soundtrack too even if I wasn't necessarily gonna vote for it.

Not sure if you're being facetious but it doesn't have online.
Oh that's odd, I remember now. Does it have a good bot mode at least outside of the campaign?

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
While I like watching these awards for new announcements, I kind of feel like it's the "Spread the love" awards than a real award show. It's the type of award show that will grant Zelda GOTY, but Mario Odyssey the best Switch game.

That happens lots and lots of times. IGN are notorious for it, giving GOTY to a multiplat game and then giving 'best x platform' game that their GOTY is on to something else.

It bugs me lol.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm cool with this tbh. I'm more into these as a celebration of games rather a bloody showdown.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Going by their own voting tally, since i cant vote i'll just put my views here

GOTY : Zelda

Best Game direction : Nier Automata

Best Narrative : Nier Automata

Best Art direction : Persona 5

Best Music : Nier Automata

Best Audio Design : Zelda

Best Mocap : Hellblade

Best Message : Hellblade

Best Ongoing game : Overwatch

Best Action game : Nioh

Best Action ADventure : Zelda

Best RPG : Persona 5

Best fighting game : Injustice 2(although T7 is close second)

Best family game : Mario Odyssey

What i'm looking for out of this awards show : Nier A to win a single category

Oct 28, 2017
Poland
My picks:

GOTY: Persona 5
Best Game Direction: Super Mario Odyssey
Best Narrative: Nier: Automata
Best Art Direction: Persona 5
Best Score/Music: Persona 5
Best Audio Design: Hellblade
Best Performance: Melina Juergens, Hellblade
Games for Impact: Hellblade
Best Ongoing Game: Overwatch
Best Mobile Game: Fire Emblem Heroes
Best Handheld Game: Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadow of Valentia
Best VR/AR Game: Resident Evil 7
Best Action Game: Wolfenstein II
Best Action/Adventure Game: Super Mario Odyssey
Best Role Playing Game: Persona 5
Best Fighting Game: Tekken 7
Best Family Game: Super Mario Odyssey
Best Strategy Game: Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle
Best Sports/Racing Game: Forza Motorsport 7
Best Multiplayer: Splatoon 2
Most Anticipated Game: The Last of Us Part II
Best Independent Game: Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice
Best Esports Game: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
Best Debut Indie Game: Hollow Knight

Dubloon7

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I haven't played 90% of these AAA nonsense games throughout 2017 but I did play (from the list): Nioh and Nier: A.

I would possibly recommend Nioh for action but neither stand out as outstanding. I can't say much about what I heard from the nominated games.

I think this dumb "GOTY" circlejerk of Keighley sucking off the industry bigwigs and overhyped Kojima is not needed for the industry

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Best Ongoing Game

How in ze world is Overwatch, Pubg, and Destiny 2 in the best ongoing game list? Just seeing Overwatch in that list made me stop, laugh a bit in shock, and think about what could have possibly caused the nomination. Then I glanced and saw Destiny 2 (not 1) in that list too and everything went out the window. Overwatch just above 1 year old added 4 characters, 5 with this new person (right?), and some maps and experimental modes. it always seemed very very slow on content to me, especially when Sombra was spread out to a snail pace of a launch. In comparison, games like Paladins have so many extra characters since it launched, and Paragon had a new character every 3 weeks (though still in beta tag).

Then someone pointed out that Pubg is in the list too... hahaha

Edit: I actually wonder how Warframe got on the list now that I think about it. Why not Path of Exile, or a healthy and popular Moba, MMORPG, or something?

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
It's no different from what I'm doing: (lack of) emotional impact -> attempt to explain why I (don't) like thing

The argument that priorities are different in Horizon is weak. We shouldn't have to factor in development realities when assessing a game's quality, it's not my problem if they have to compromise one aspect to focus and refine others.

I didn't mention development realities once in my posts re-horizon but I saw it being mentioned in this thread so I get your point and no that shouldn't factor in Goty votes.

For the sake of record, but I thought Horizon comparison started already before BOTW even launched, saying it gonna top this and that.

Still a great game. But if people still want to play mainstream rehashed open world games without breakout I can only smh.

We literally had a thread(previous site) with 100s of posts saying ti's going to be the biggest flop and be a bad game.
Regarding "rehashed open world games" I think Horizon brings few good iterations to the table like Tallnecks for towers and overriding. Also Zelda is more mainstream and most likely sold better. There is nothing wrong with using the tried and true formula for games. For example, Mario Odyssey perfects the Mario 64 formula.

Oct 25, 2017
Again I'm not making the sales argument, the guy I quoted was. Sales may not matter but influence sure as shit should.

All I was doing was contesting your "niche" argument. 2 mil+ is not niche no matter how much you want it to be.

Also, influence isn't necessarily an indicator of quality. On an individual level, neither are reviews, but they certainly help in determining a consensus, and Persona 5 is the 4th best reviewed game of the year. To say P5 is completely devoid of mainstream appeal is ludicrous when it was a big name for the year even outside the most hardcore bubbles that the series has been part of until now.

And by your influence argument, Pewdiepie would get gamer of the year award every single year considering his influence is far and away above any of the other nominees. Critiquing a product should be divorced from any external factors regarding said product. A popularity contest is not becoming of a good award show, even if many are.

Also you seem to have this weird vendetta against anime that isn't even accurate. Anime has very much entered mainstream pop culture, whether it be Bill Burr talking about One Punch Man, Arby's constantly tweeting about, or Attack on Titan just entering the social conciousness in general. You don't have to like it to see A LOT of other people do.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Isn't it interesting watching exactly which aspects of realism are important to people to fit their argument?
y'know, I was just arguing with that guy but I'll switch gears and defend him for a moment.

The person originally responded to wasn't making an argument centered around realism. They were trying to make the point that the sheer amount of intuitive action->reaction mechanics and details in BoTW do help, in a pretty focused manner, to enable the sensation of an organic, holistic video game 'world' to a greater degree than most games seek to. I agree with that, even if I don't think that makes BoTW the end-all-be-all video game. All that shit services BoTW's design in a specific way. Most of that shit wouldn't service the design of the next game I play, so I don't necessarily miss that shit if it ain't there.

Last edited:

Deleted member 3853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ez pubg goty vote. came out of nowhere and dominated steam by word of mouth. and with all of it's flaws people just can't stop playing.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Hell blade better fucking win something . And where the hell is rime for the best soundtrack or most impactful game ?

SnowGhost

Oct 27, 2017
the North
Loved Breathe of the Wild, it will be no shock to me or anyone here, if it wins GOTY. I definitely wouldn't be upset if any of the other nominations won either.

Currently playing Odyssey, and what a breathtaking game it is. Never got to playing Persona 5, but will give it a go during the holiday.

Oct 25, 2017
Alright.
Game of the Year: Super Mario Odyssey
Best Game Direction: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Best Narrative: Nier: Automata
Best Art Direction: Persona 5
Best Score/Music: Super Mario Odyssey
Best Audio Design: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Best Performance: Ashly Burch, Horizon: Zero Dawn
Games for Impact: Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice
Best Ongoing Game: Overwatch
Best Mobile Game: Super Mario Run
Best Handheld Game: Ever Oasis
Best VR/AR Game: Resident Evil 7
Best Action Game: Wolfenstein II
Best Action/Adventure Game: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Best Role Playing Game: Persona 5
Best Fighting Game: ARMS
Best Family Game: Splatoon 2
Best Strategy Game: Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle
Best Sports/Racing Game: Forza Motorsport 7
Best Multiplayer: Splatoon 2
Most Anticipated Game: Red Dead Redemption
Best Independent Game: Cuphead
Best Esports Game: Rocket League
Best Debut Indie Game: Golf Story

When was the last time out of all the nominees one wasn't a FPS?

Actually, only the VGAs 2016 had FPS games in the GOTY nominees with DOOM and Overwatch.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
y'know, I was just arguing with that guy but I'll switch gears and defend him for a moment.

The person originally responded to wasn't making an argument centered around realism. They were trying to make the point that the sheer amount of intuitive action->reaction mechanics and details in BoTW do help, in a pretty focused manner, to enable the sensation of an organic, holistic video game 'world' to a greater degree than most games seek to. I agree with that, even if I don't think that makes BoTW the end-all-be-all video game. All that shit services BoTW's design in a specific way. Most of that shit wouldn't service the design of the next game I play, so I don't necessarily miss that shit if it ain't there.
It's the same reason why people enjoy immersive sims or roguelikes like Nethack and Dwarf Fortress. In that, they are built on interlocked systems that interact in logical and intuitive ways, which allows for emergent gameplay interactions due to the understanding of the logical and predictable results. For example, I read that someone completed a puzzle in Zelda in a different way by laying down a line of metal weapons and it worked because electricity travels through metal in the game world

Or in Dwarf Fortress, cats that can't drink alcohol were dying from alcohol poisoning because they were cleaning themselves and thus ingesting the spilled beer from puddles in taverns that got on their paws

MagnesG

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
We literally had a thread(previous site) with 100s of posts saying ti's going to be the biggest flop and be a bad game.
Regarding "rehashed open world games" I think Horizon brings few good iterations to the table like Tallnecks for towers and overriding. Also Zelda is more mainstream and most likely sold better. There is nothing wrong with using the tried and true formula for games. For example, Mario Odyssey perfects the Mario 64 formula.
Seriously the game is still awesome. Sorry I maybe replied to wrong post.
Cause the last post I made was replying to people not fond open world formula from BOTW, then immediately regards this kind of mechanism is better off from this world

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Glad Hellblade is up there for some things. My personal GOTY, but I never expected in to be in the main category, of course. I think it's deserving of a win in all of the categories it's nominated for in a more objective sense, though.

Rooting for BotW for those listed for GOTY. It's just a fucking marvel. Wouldn't be mad at any of them winning, though. How could I be? 2017 has been batshit good.

Oct 31, 2017
Now that I think about it FFXV got robbed by not being in the Best soundtrack nominations (instead nominated for best RPG), guess everyone on the panel forgot about it

Blackbird

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I'll post my votes as well, even knowing that most people will mostly try to kill me because of the first pick:

GOTY - PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds
Best Game Direction - Resident Evil 7: Biohazard
Best Narrative - Wolfenstein II
Best Art Direction - Cuphead
Best Score/Music - Cuphead
Best Audio Design - Resident Evil 7: Biohazard
Best Performance - Brian Bloom, Wolfenstein II
Games for Impact - Night in the Woods
Best Ongoing Game - Rainbow Six: Siege
Best VR/AR Game - Resident Evil 7: Biohazard
Best Multiplayer - PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds
Most Anticipated Game - God of War
Best Action Game - Wolfenstein II
Best Independent Game - Night in the Woods
Trending Gamer - Andrea Rene
Best Debut Indie Game - Cuphead

Keep in mind that, obviously, i only voted for things i actually played this year and unfortunately i don't have a Nintendo Switch. But about PUBG, it was easily one of the best experiences i had this year, and honestly, it's easily the most impactful/game changer title inside this gen. I know it's in early access, but people like me have been playing it since the first half of the year and it can provide a full title experience even with it's own limitations, so i thinik it's fair to be up there.

Also, RE7 wasn't on the GOTY list, sadly.

Last edited: