• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
VxcDDgF.png

I got to see an early screening of Game Changers last week.
Fantastic documentary, with many genuinely funny parts.
It will be on Netflix starting today!

The focus is clearly on plant based athletes and that fabled protein. But it does tie it all together with environmental concerns and animal welfare at the end too.

Debunks so many common misconceptions and shows how a plant based diet is a) the fuel we are evolved to run on and b) no matter what more healthy and beneficial.

Some interesting tid bits I thought were interesting and want to highlight
  • I had no idea animal feed is now fortified with B12, because animals no longer get the B12 producing bacteria from their environment anymore either. - Also due to Antibiotics in raising animals.
  • One of the worlds strongest men is plant based, Patrik Baboumian he seems like the nicest guy!
  • A variety of world class athletes started to beat their own personal bests late in their career once they switched to a plant based diet.
  • Animals are really just middle-men that take protein, amino acids, vitamins already present in plants; add nothing of value; but plenty things of detriment to the meat that is then consumed.
  • Men's erections are harder and last longer on a plant based diet. (I kid you not, it's a pretty funny part of the program)
  • Someone on a plant based diet that switches to white meat just once a week increases their cancer markers by a whopping 25%
  • Speaking of soy; soy contains phytoestrogens, which actually prevents real oestrogen to take effect. There is no difference in testosterone levels between carnivores and people on a plant based diet.
  • The CO2 footprint of the meat and dairy industry is as large as all forms of transport combined (planes, shipping, cars, trains, cruise ships, everything!)
  • Firefighters who switched to a plant based diet for just a week saw their cholesterol level drop like a stone partially by over 100 points.
  • The dead animal & dairy industry is following the tobacco industries playbook in obfuscating scientific evidence that only points in one direction.
It's a great movie, I highly recommend it, check it out on Netflix.

My favorite quote from the movie.
p4AD7AS.png

Paz

Nov 1, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
Yeah I caught a screening of this with some friends and it was fantastic, so thoroughly well rounded and convincing that my friends have made the switch to a plant based diet; they've always been health focused and in recent years struggled with recovery due to injury so the focus on the film on inflammation and reduced recovery time really sold them.

The bit about how various industries are trying to muddy the waters by funding endless studies and cherry picking results was pretty damming, hiring the same folks who came up with all the studies on cigarettes being healthy etc.

Tenck

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I caught a screening of this with some friends and it was fantastic, so thoroughly well rounded and convincing that my friends have made the switch to a plant based diet; they've always been health focused and in recent years struggled with recovery due to injury so the focus on the film on inflammation and reduced recovery time really sold them.

The bit about how various industries are trying to muddy the waters by funding endless studies and cherry picking results was pretty damming, hiring the same folks who came up with all the studies on cigarettes being healthy etc.

Don't know if you've come across this, but the research team behind The Game Changers helped WP with this story

MrT

Oct 27, 2017
Watched it with my wife, really enjoyed it and thought it was done very well. Seems like it's a bit harder to argue with than some previous documentaries.

MeatSim1

Banned
Aug 15, 2018
  • One of the worlds strongest men is plant based, Patrik Baboumian he seems like the nicest guy!
  • A variety of world class athletes started to beat their own personal bests late in their career once they switched to a plant based diet.
  • Animals are really just middle-men that take protein, amino acids, vitamins already present in plants; add nothing of value; but plenty things of detriment to the meat that is then consumed.
  • Men's erections are harder and last longer on a plant based diet. (I kid you not, it's a pretty funny part of the program)
  • Someone on a plant based diet that switches to white meat just once a week increases their cancer markers by a whopping 25%
  • Speaking of soy; soy contains phytoestrogens, which actually prevents real oestrogen to take effect. There is no difference in testosterone levels between carnivores and people on a plant based diet.
  • The CO2 footprint of the meat and dairy industry is as large as all forms of transport combined (planes, shipping, cars, trains, cruise ships, everything!)
  • Firefighters who switched to a plant based diet for just a week saw their cholesterol level drop like a stone partially by over 100 points.
  • The dead animal & dairy industry is following the tobacco industries playbook in obfuscating scientific evidence that only points in one direction.
That's some amount of Sh!te if ever I've heard it, many unproven "facts" being dishes out.

Pretty much everything above is false.

Deleted member 18407

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's some amount of Sh!te if ever I've heard it, many unproven "facts" being dishes out.

Not sure I can trust someone named MeatSim1 on this topic.

KoolAid

Oct 25, 2017

MeatSim1

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
Watched the first half. Some nice people in there.
And great to see Conor McGregor get choked out.
Will watch the rest tonight. Will not take it for gospel (i very much doubt the integrity of food-documentaries from the US) but i'm trying to make a bigger portion of my meals plant based. Convinced more veggies will be good.

MrT

Oct 27, 2017

Care to dismantle them one by one then?

OP
OP
FliX

FliX

Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
I re-watched it again with the missus yesterday, it's really fun. Not sure why this thread got no traction. Check it out Era!

FinKL

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished that Paul Rudd series and was looking for something, looks up my alley thanks.

I know that LeBron has switched to "natural" sources for protein a couple of years ago so I'm curious about it. Home boy is old but still dominating

MeatSim1

Banned
Aug 15, 2018
I re-watched it again with the missus yesterday, it's really fun. Not sure why this thread got no traction. Check it out Era!
Because its bullsh*t and propanganda for a vegan way of life. Seriously saying cattle is no.1 cause of global warming and not transport/ industrialisation? C'mon.

Its not even worth watching

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
So how legit is this?
Are the people behind this in some pro-vegan lobby or something like that? Or is this really well researched and actually true?

Oct 25, 2017
So how legit is this?
Are the people behind this in some pro-vegan lobby or something like that? Or is this really well researched and actually true?

It is bullshit and one sided. Pretty much as unbalanced and persuasive a documentary can get. They set out to demonize meat and act like eating any plant product leaves you healthy, which is obviously not the case. I read up about this but also there is a Joe Rogan podcast up now and I am going to give that a listen.

kortvarsel

Avenger
Dec 11, 2017
So how legit is this?
The biggest critique I could find after watching the doc was Men's Health, which got a response from one of the doctors appearing in the doc here.

The two people ranting in this thread about this being lies have yet to provide anything of substance. Well except for the one talking about the exaggerated impact on the climate. According to the UN, the meat industry is responsible for 14.5% of man made GHG emissions (2013). Make of that what you will.

OP
OP
FliX

FliX

Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
So how legit is this?
It's hard to see how NFL doctors would be champions of a plant based diet if there was not enough science to back it up. That organization certainly does not seem to be associated with common vegan causes.

Goda

Oct 26, 2017
Toronto
It is bullshit and one sided. Pretty much as unbalanced and persuasive a documentary can get. They set out to demonize meat and act like eating any plant product leaves you healthy, which is obviously not the case. I read up about this but also there is a Joe Rogan podcast up now and I am going to give that a listen.

Wait how is this documentary bullshit? They actually went out and performed scientific tests with real athletes to prove the findings.

Oct 25, 2017
Wait how is this documentary bullshit? They actually went out and performed scientific tests with real athletes to prove the findings.

Some of it is deceptive and straight up lies. Agriculture does not exceed transportation CO2 emissions. CO2 emissions by transportation is not even accurately measured because of how huge/complex it is.

They claim peanut butter has as much protein as steak does. But they ignore the amount of peanut butter you would have to eat to achieve the amount of protein a steak has, not even considering the low bioavailability of protein from peanut butter compared to the high availability from steak.

They use the f-ng RDA as a guideline for how much protein you need. That is basically the bare minimum you need to not be deficient. For athletes you need closer to double if not triple the RDA. I think most people understand that the RDA is a joke and for athletes is not informative even slightly.

Is it any surprise that James Cameron owns a multi-million dollar (projected billion dollar) plant based protein company? Or that nearly all the scientists interviewed in the film are pro-vegan? And yet still has the stones to claim that recent science exonerating cholesterol/fat being linked to heart disease is tainted because it is funded by XYZ meat companies, etc.?

Do not get me wrong. I actually have no problem with vegan dieting or vegans (I eat a ton of veggies). But the information here is just straight up deceptive or lies, if not laughably concerning when it comes to informing people about health choices. Plant based craze is the new fat free craze. This film is just great marketing for that. I hope it does not take hold because it does not have a balanced approach that lets people evaluate the weight of both sides.

They do point out that there is an issue with agriculture causing CO2 emissions, but the solution is not going vegan which is not even economically viable due to the amount of space you would require to grow that much food.

This podcast is covering a lot of this and I learned a thing or two as well.

As for these supposed scientific tests, well I doubt they are very reliable. I am certain you can find tests supporting carnivore diet for the same way. One thing I believe about humans is that there is not one diet that fits for everyone because we all evolved a bit different nutritionally. People living in the mediterranean vs people living in land locked locations ate very different kinds of foods and they did this for thousands of years.

To reiterate, I got nothing against eating vegan. You can do it successfully, although I imagine it is way harder requiring more supplementation and careful sourcing. But I do not think it is inherently healthier than paleo or keto or mediterranean dieting, for example.

Lastly, that quote about an ox eating meat? They also do not eat soy protein shakes! They also evolved to eat food that is different from us! Ruminant animals being compared to humans is a joke. We cannot digest cellulose. The so called middle men cattle, they can! And they turn the food into something highly bioavailable and valuable that humans can digest and absorb.

Last edited:

The Boat

Oct 28, 2017
Did you watch the doc?
Nah, which is why I said it sounds like bs, not that it is :p. Afaik, there is consensus that humans couldn't always digest meat and that eventually we evolved to be able to do so. And we know this because... it's what we do.
So, we also evolved to run on meat, even if that doesn't necessarily mean meat should be such a big part of our diets. If by plant based diet you mean mostly plants with the possibility of some meat, then yeah, I suppose you can say that.

I will watch the doc when I can, sounds interesting.

statham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FloRida
Watched it a few days ago, and it changed my mind. I know alot of it is one-sided, but I've been wanting to get off meat for awhile, this helped push me there. Bought some veggies burgers and crumbs, almond milk, and protein powder. Lets go!

Rocket Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This was actually a very good documentary. After doing some subsequent research, I'm not convinced that I should completely get off meat, but I will definitely reduce meat consumption by a significant amount.

OP
OP
FliX

FliX

Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Watched it a few days ago, and it changed my mind. I know alot of it is one-sided, but I've been wanting to get off meat for awhile, this helped push me there. Bought some veggies burgers and crumbs, almond milk, and protein powder. Lets go!
This was actually a very good documentary. After doing some subsequent research, I'm not convinced that I should completely get off meat, but I will definitely reduce meat consumption by a significant amount.
Nice! It's really not so bad and these days we are spoiled for choice all over the place. Was much harder even just a few years ago.

Say hello here if you ever have any questions or comments. ✊🌱😊
www.resetera.com

Vegan ERA |OT| Eat your veggies

Welcome to the VeganERA OT, a thread for vegans and sympathisers. Whether it’s to help build a balanced diet, share recipes, discuss Vegan friendly places - This is the place! Veganism FAQ Q. So wait, what is Veganism? A. Veganism is a practice and philosophy that mainly advocates abstaining...

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Netflix made the best food show and the best documentaries.

Does anyone watched it and if so, do we see female athletes?