• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ekim

Oct 26, 2017
The following examples are just a small selection.

First of all, many translations don't really make sense, sound funny, have bad grammar and/or miss punctuation.
bNiB0ny.jpg

on762S0.jpg

SCHLEIF DIE HÖLLE! lol
jr4poRI.jpg

Their German translation for Roguelikes is also... interesting and a literal translation
n4tJUEg.jpg

Some UI elements were not designed for other languages and are getting out of bounds:
gY6Niba.jpg

There is no consensus on the translation for certain terms or on the usage of formal/informal speech:

Here they are using formal speech talking to the player (note the usage of FPS here)
Hl9qlC8.jpg

But just a few tabs before they are using non-formal speech
zuBq00L.jpg

Here in the filter section they are using BpS instead of FPS and wtf at literally translating "Smart Delivery" which is a feature name:
GUROObJ.jpg

Either they are using a translation bot as a fallback for non-translated strings or the person/team responsible for the translations are no gamers, hence the mixups and different approaches to the translation.

Is this also as bad in other languages than English?

Oct 25, 2017
湘南
Can't say I'm surprised. Wasn't too long ago on here that someone pointed out how bad the Spanish localization for Halo Infinite is (was?).

8bit

Oct 27, 2017
It's probably machine translated where no official materials have been provided.

Sec0nd

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not having that many issues with the Dutch translation. Apart from the fact that most achievement titles are literal translations which often times doesn't work, especially because they are often puns and/or expressions or sayings.

GTAce

Oct 27, 2017
Bonn, Germany
Hahaha, this is amazing. One of the reasons why I always use everything in English, even my Windows 10.
SCHLEIF DIE HÖLLE!!!

lexony

Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft does in general a very bad job in translating their stuff considering how big they are. It is the reason why I use Windows in english at home and at work.

Clown_im_OP

Oct 28, 2017
Hooked my Series S up for the first time a few days ago and got lots of "möglicher weise" and question marks for umlauts.

Bill Gaitas

Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft has turned up the machine translation dial quite a lot lately. The Portuguese (Portugal) translation isn't much better. Especially the Xbox Insider app translation, oh boy.

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
Yes, it is machine translated.
It is kinda crazy if you think about it, MS is an international company.

I'm pretty sure it is the same for a lot of languages.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
Damn those are bad.
How hard can it be to get those translated by a native speaker?
As a German / American dual citizen I could probably translate that stuff in less than a week depending on how extensive the UI is.
I barely use my XSX so I don't really know how much text there actually is but it can't be that much.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Swedish is a mess as well. :D You get one sentence in English and another in Swedish. It's quite funny, actually! :D

Erdnuckel01

Oct 29, 2017
It's not only the user Interface, email support is machine translated as well. I for whatever reason can't use the rewards program and contacted support on the xbox homepage. The answers were a sight to behold, not helpful, but clearly machine translated.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know about Xbox, but the Dutch Switch UI is pretty funny in spots as well. Like, some words you should simply not translate and accept as loan words, lmao.

Microsoft has a pretty comprehensive store of translated software terminology, so my expectation would've been that they're better about it.

Last edited:

starblue

Oct 28, 2017
Spanish (Spain) is "okayish" but still... there are mistakes and mixing with Spanish from LATAM and some strings in English.

donpureevil

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
It's not only the user Interface, email support is machine translated as well. I for whatever reason can't use the rewards program and contacted support on the xbox homepage. The answers were a sight to behold, not helpful, but clearly machine translated.
Yeah it´s really bad. I got an answer from somebody called Rye and at then end of the mail their name was translated to Roggen (the german word for the grain).

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
How would you translate this? Google is giving me grind hell but not sure if I see what's funny about that.
because it's utter nonsense. "schleifen" is grinding in the literal "work with tools" sense, like you would sand off the rough spots of a piece of wood or something, that's where "schleifen" means the same thing as "grinding" - you literally cannot "grind hell"

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
because it's utter nonsense. "schleifen" is grinding in the literal "work with tools" sense, like you would sand off the rough spots of a piece of wood or something, that's where "schleifen" means the same thing as "grinding" - you literally cannot "grind hell"

Ah okay. Thanks for the context.

donpureevil

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
How would you translate this? Google is giving me grind hell but not sure if I see what's funny about that.
that´s the problem. there aren´t good german words for a lot of gaming terms, everybody just uses english for those things. i get the grind -> schleifen translation, but in german it just means making something smooth (as in sandpaper or with other tools)

Rafavert

Oct 31, 2017
Portugal
I don't know about Xbox, but the Dutch Switch UI is pretty funny in spots as well. Like, some words you should simply not translate and accept as loan words, lmao.

Microsoft has a pretty comprehensive store of translated software terminology, so my expectation would've been that they're better about it.

Microsoft used to be a reference. A few years back, though, they started working almost exclusively with machine translation (and machine translation post-editing).

Most Microsoft help pages in Portuguese are downright gibberish. They're useless. So it doesn't surprise me that Xbox suffers from the same issue.

underFlorence

May 19, 2019
Germany
Yeah, as others have said, "Grind Hell" is a statement that I don't think can really be directly translated into German (I think the closest would be something like "Mach die Hölle heiß!" or something, at least as far as getting the meaning across). "SCHLEIF DIE HÖLLE" is technically correct in that "Schleif" means grind and "Hölle" means hell, but it's not something anyone would ever say.

Feb 19, 2020
Every app/game has their own translation team, that is quite common for software development. Seems like they have no proper over-arching structures for translation syncs though.

Sachiel

Oct 31, 2017
I would've guessed it said "Raze hell" in english, obviously a pun on "raise hell" so not really translateable.

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
The following examples are just a small selection.

First of all, many translations don't really make sense, sound funny, have bad grammar and/or miss punctuation.
bNiB0ny.jpg

on762S0.jpg

SCHLEIF DIE HÖLLE! lol
jr4poRI.jpg

Their German translation for Roguelikes is also... interesting and a literal translation
n4tJUEg.jpg

Some UI elements were not designed for other languages and are getting out of bounds:
gY6Niba.jpg

There is no consensus on the translation for certain terms or on the usage of formal/informal speech:

Here they are using formal speech talking to the player (note the usage of FPS here)
Hl9qlC8.jpg

But just a few tabs before they are using non-formal speech
zuBq00L.jpg

Here in the filter section they are using BpS instead of FPS and wtf at literally translating "Smart Delivery" which is a feature name:
GUROObJ.jpg

Either they are using a translation bot as a fallback for non-translated strings or the person/team responsible for the translations are no gamers, hence the mixups and different approaches to the translation.

Is this also as bad in other languages than English?

As someone who did German in school and has forgotten 99% of what I learned - is there a general approach for formal and informal address when it comes to things like websites and (in this case!) video game menus?

Clown_im_OP

Oct 28, 2017
The low effort translation would be to put the adjective "höllisch" before literally any noun that has anything to do with Doom.

OP
OP
ekim

ekim

Oct 26, 2017
As someone who did German in school and has forgotten 99% of what I learned - is there a general approach for formal and informal address when it comes to things like websites and (in this case!) video game menus?

For stuff directed at younger people and for casual things (like gaming), I'd use informal speech but it's up to the company whether to go formal or informal. The problem here is the inconsistency.

donpureevil

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Not really, but you should stick to one way. Switching between formal and infromal feels disjointed. But that is really the smallest of the translation problems going on here.

Nightfall

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Normally stuff like this is not formal at all and uses "Du" instead of "Sie". It is very uncommon to be this formal in relation to gaming (outside of actual stories and dialogue).

OP
OP
ekim

ekim

Oct 26, 2017
If they would've used DeepL it would've been a tad better:
SItFvE5.png

ZERSTÖRE DIE HÖLLE! would have been apt although it would not address the pun in the original term.

Oct 28, 2017

that´s the problem. there aren´t good german words for a lot of gaming terms, everybody just uses english for those things. i get the grind -> schleifen translation, but in german it just means making something smooth (as in sandpaper or with other tools)

Schleifen does have another meaning, though. "Eine Burg schleifen" would be "Raze a castle to the ground", and the original seems to be Raze Hell.

So technically it's an accurate translation, Schleifen is the correct term... It's just that outside of history books nobody uses it in that sense any more, and of course you lose the Raise/Raze pun, so it sounds weird.

Turrican2

Oct 28, 2017
Hamburg

It always depends on the target group of the brands and subbrands.
As somebody who works in advertising for global companies I can only advise to always be consistent in the way you communicate.
For example when we worked for Microsoft some years ago we would use informal adress on all kinds of materials for Xbox and formal address for brands like Office and Surface.

Arubedo

Unshakable Resolve
Dec 24, 2018
Morocco
French translation of the UI is also an absolute disaster, especially on the Microsoft Store, why can't Microsoft hire actual translation teams like Sony and Nintendo for the UI?

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Schleifen does have another meaning, though. "Eine Burg schleifen" would be "Raze a castle to the ground", and the original seems to be Raze Hell.

So technically it's an accurate translation, Schleifen is the correct term... It's just that outside of history books nobody uses it in that sense any more, and of course you lose the Raise/Raze pun, so it sounds weird.
Granted, I never studied history but I've never ever encountered that archaic use of "schleifen" in my entire life lol. Amazing.