• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017
An older article but fascinating none the less. What say you era, where is it all going?
https://www.google.com/amp/s/slate.com/business/2018/12/industrial-glitter-mystery.amp

Grab your tinfoil hat and walk with me down sparkle way. In the Dec. 21 New York Times, Caity Weaver has a rollicking dispatch from the Glitterex glitter factory, which reveals the true nature of glitter—aluminum metalized polyethylene terephthalate—before hinting at a greater mystery: a top-secret industrial glitter use that accounts for most of the company's sales.

The following exchange ensues when Weaver asks Glitterex manager Lauren Dyer why she can't disclose this enigmatic buyer:
Dyer: "Because they don't want anyone to know that it's glitter."
Weaver: "If I looked at it, I wouldn't know it was glitter?"
Dyer: "No, not really."
Weaver: "Would I be able to see the glitter?"
Dyer: "Oh, you'd be able to see something. But it's — yeah, I can't."

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
I remember when this blew up back then and a lot of the most likely responses were like, explosives, toothpaste, something with aerospace coatings, or money.

Cation

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Prob US military - bombs

Maybe even money on a second thought. Cause if people find out, it could cause the counterfeiters to get an edge

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
It's probably edible and people have been consuming it for decades. It's like candy frosting or something ridiculous.

Chojin

Oct 26, 2017
People? Come on ERA. Get that no funny bone out your ass. Moar jokes!

^^^^^

Proof I don't read. Carry on.

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It must be something we consume regularly if they are so secretive about it. Probably used as a filler?

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
It's for cars (or anything with "expensive" paint) and most likely, fake gold on food stuffs.

Maolfunction

Oct 27, 2017
I remember reading somewhere a theory that's it's the government building a giant mirror so we can't see UFOs and I'm sticking with that until proven otherwise.

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
I really hope it's metallic flakes in the car paint, and not something that's being added into food.

Oct 29, 2017
Fishing boat paint....

e481653b29aedb266b6ec762d827c1499563e00b.pjpg

Bramblebutt

Banned
Jan 11, 2018
The article's first guess seems the most likely. It would not shock me to learn that Glitterx is manufacturing low-cost chaff for export to foreign governments.

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
Why would anyone really care if it's paints or anything like that though? Of course the metallic bits in car paint are glitter, what else would they be? It seems like it could be government related, like money or military use as some sort of anti-radar chaff, but both of those seem like they fall afoul of "you wouldn't know it's glitter looking at it". So I'm going to guess it's either something ingestible like toothpaste (though could they get that past the FDA without having to label it?) or it's some luxury product where gold or gemstones are being punched up with glitter and they don't want you to know.

War Peaceman

Oct 28, 2017
maybe it is what gary glitter is made of, explains why they dont want to admit that they created that monster