• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
dKV4HFx.jpg

An unfortunate event brings the firm together, along with the prospect of a new name partner, Liz Reddick-Lawrence. Meanwhile, Diane struggles to grapple with the insanity of the world and Maia is confronted with another hurdle in her parents' scandal.
The Good Fight streams on
US: CBS All-Access (starts March 4)
UK: More4 (starts March 15)
Nordics: HBO Nordic (starts March 4)
Multiple markets across Latin America and Europe: Amazon Prime Video (starts ???)
G3AGFk8.jpg

2a5j1eI.jpg
mXquNT1.jpg
0FuQSfX.jpg
RHxnJxb.jpg

Christine Baranski | Cush Jumbo | Rose Leslie | Audra McDonald
HPl9xP8.jpg
icPwP28.jpg
S1S1y9R.jpg
hyr1cDA.jpg

Delroy Lindo | Nyambi Nyambi | Sarah Steele | Michael Boatman
z22DkvF.jpg

The Guardian: The new season of The Good Fight declares war on Trump
AV Club: Death looms over the balanced, foreboding season two premiere of The Good Fight [A]
Indiewire: CBS All Access' Underrated Drama Is Still Really Mad About Trump [A-]
Entertainment Weekly: "I was pleasantly surprised by how much fun it found in how insane this world has become" [A-]
Elwl45x.jpg

Daily Beast: 'The Good Fight' Season 2 Eviscerates Trump—And Searches for the Pee Tape
NYT: 'The Good Fight' and 'The Chi,' Near Neighbors and Worlds Apart
THR: 'The Good Fight' Creators Take Swings at Trump and Cues From Their "Best Season"
Variety: Stars, Producers Talk Tackling Dark, Funny Material and Trump
vkhPZTL.jpg

Last edited:

RellikSK

Nov 1, 2017
Subbed. Last season was ok, better than the later seasons of The Good Wife, hoping for improvements in this one.

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I will definitely watch. The wife and I loved The Good Wife overall(last season was not good). The first GF season was pretty good.

OP
OP
berzeli

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
Finished the first episode, and dammit I'm so glad the show is back. And the title sequence got even better, I'm putting it in spoiler because seeing it for the first time was very cathartic:
GxBii0x.gif

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
lmao good first episode. Lockhart is great. I have mixed feelings on the season coming up preview but solid start.

RellikSK

Nov 1, 2017
Finally watched it. It was good, plenty of funny moments. Not sure about the whole lawyer murderer plot line that they seem to be going with by the previews. Looking forward to some actual cases.

iiicon

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Solid start to the season. My partner and I have been watching The Good Wife every Sunday since S2 so honestly it's just nice to have our routine back.

DoubleG

Oct 29, 2017
Germany
Finished the first episode, and dammit I'm so glad the show is back. And the title sequence got even better, I'm putting it in spoiler because seeing it for the first time was very cathartic:
GxBii0x.gif
The intro was very powerful and surprising. Liked it more than last season.
After watching the first episode, i'm so happy to be back in the good wife/fight universe. It is such a good show.

I'm not so sure about the preview for the season though.
I hope Diane's mushroom addiction is not really an issue this season.
Besides of that it looks like an exciting season. Can't wait for the next episode.

TripOpt55

Oct 25, 2017
GxBii0x.gif
Damn. That is great. I will probably be cheap and wait until all the episodes are up to catch up. I really liked Season 1 though, so I'm excited for more.

Sloane

Oct 25, 2017
Decent episode but, yeah, I'm not entirely sold on the possible season arc just yet -- and all the Barrack / Trump stuff felt a bit cringy, similar to the political storylines of TGW. Wish the writers would finally figure out to focus on what they do best.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Watched the second ep. Season might be a bit lukewarm so far for me. With the arrest
of her dad
maybe we can move on a bit from that plot and get back to taking cases. I kinda like this show the most when it's more serialized.

Sloane

Oct 25, 2017
Watched the second ep. Season might be a bit lukewarm so far for me. With the arrest
of her dad
maybe we can move on a bit from that plot and get back to taking cases. I kinda like this show the most when it's more serialized.
The Good Wife was virtually the only show I kinda liked better the lesser it was serialized, at least towards the end of its run. Might have been because most of the ongoing storylines had become crap after season 5 though.

As for the second episode, yeah, I'm kinda glad the Daddy storyline seems to be coming to an end although how they caught him felt a bit too easy and made the trial seem pretty pointless in retrospect. Was nice to see the judge again though. Still not sure about the "Kill all lawyers" stuff, hope everything becomes a bit clearer and more structured soon.

OP
OP
berzeli

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
of her dad
The Good Wife was virtually the only show I kinda liked better the lesser it was serialized, at least towards the end of its run. Might have been because most of the ongoing storylines had become crap after season 5 though.

As for the second episode, yeah, I'm kinda glad the Daddy storyline seems to be coming to an end although how they caught him felt a bit too easy and made the trial seem pretty pointless in retrospect. Was nice to see the judge again though. Still not sure about the "Kill all lawyers" stuff, hope everything becomes a bit clearer and more structured soon.
I think Janusfilmfan means less serialised and more case of the week stuff. Which I think The Good Fight is going to do less than The Good Wife, but you know I'm one of the weird ones that liked the politics arcs (well, maybe not season 7) on The Good Wife so I'm not complaining.

The Maia subplot had already ran its course so I don't really mind it getting wrapped up even if it is doing so in quite the neat manner. "The kill all lawyers" stuff seem to be less the work of a serial killer which is where I was dreading they would take it, so I'm cautiously optimistic that it's a play on the paranoia that is a weirdly normal undercurrent in today's political/social climate.

Sloane

Oct 25, 2017
I think Janusfilmfan means less serialised and more case of the week stuff. Which I think The Good Fight is going to do less than The Good Wife, but you know I'm one of the weird ones that liked the politics arcs (well, maybe not season 7) on The Good Wife so I'm not complaining.
Ah, yeah, that makes more sense.

I think part of what made The Good Wife so great for me was how it often did... I'm not sure how to put this... serialization without serialization? Or how the writers serialized the show's universe maybe. So you would often get a case of the week but then a judge from before would show up, or a lawyer that Alicia had fought before, or a client -- those usually were the most entertaining parts (office politics in the earlier seasons aside) and a refreshing change from the usually completely independent case of the week other procedurals tend to do.

The Good Fight has been trying that at times and I'm not against more serialization in general but its world and tone feel a bit scattered so far.

As for the "kill all lawyers" -- yeah, maybe. During the first episode I kinda expected them to kill of Erica Tazel's character and drop that into Diane's lap but I guess she has had her send-off.

Oct 26, 2017
I don't understand why they picked now as a good time to take The Good Wife off Netflix UK. I was going to finish watching that show then move onto this one.

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think part of what made The Good Wife so great for me was how it often did... I'm not sure how to put this... serialization without serialization? Or how the writers serialized the show's universe maybe. So you would often get a case of the week but then a judge from before would show up, or a lawyer that Alicia had fought before, or a client -- those usually were the most entertaining parts (office politics in the earlier seasons aside) and a refreshing change from the usually completely independent case of the week other procedurals tend to do.
I completely agree with this. I enjoyed having Denis O'Hare in the second ep and Hesh from the Sopranos in the first. I really want the Maia stuff to be over, as it has just consumed the first two episodes. Office politics is fine, but I'd like to see them take on different ethical situations in fun ways. I always enjoyed them putting Alicia in different types of courts too.

OP
OP
berzeli

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017

The Good Fight has been trying that at times and I'm not against more serialization in general but its world and tone feel a bit scattered so far.

As for the "kill all lawyers" -- yeah, maybe. During the first episode I kinda expected them to kill of Erica Tazel's character and drop that into Diane's lap but I guess she has had her send-off.
The "persistent alternate universe" (I'm also not sure how to put it) with the fictional companies, attorneys, judges, etc. was indeed one of the best things about The Good Wife. I continue to be impressed by how surprisingly fleshed out they managed to make it feel.

They haven't quite nailed the more serialised nature of the show, but it works surprisingly well for me so far. I enjoyed the first season of Good Fight more than 6-7 (maybe even 5) of Good Wife.

I'm not sure where they are going with it, but it hasn't been what I expected/feared it would be based on the trailers.
I completely agree with this. I enjoyed having Denis O'Hare in the second ep and Hesh from the Sopranos in the first. I really want the Maia stuff to be over, as it has just consumed the first two episodes. Office politics is fine, but I'd like to see them take on different ethical situations in fun ways. I always enjoyed them putting Alicia in different types of courts too.
They did hint at wrapping up the Maia stuff early on, and so far that seems to be the case.

They did do a nice version of the death penalty episodes in Good Wife (i.e. court cases with fairly extreme time pressure) with the doctor assisting a surgery on a terrorist. Hopefully we'll get something of the same type of time pressure this season, death penalty episodes were some of my favourite ones from Good Wife.
I don't understand why they picked now as a good time to take The Good Wife off Netflix UK. I was going to finish watching that show then move onto this one.
It's still on Amazon Prime UK if I got it right, so if you have access to that you can still finish it.

Wowfunhappy

Oct 27, 2017

Have you watched through the end of season 5? If you have, you can skip everything else. (If you haven't watched through the end of season 5, find a way to do that immediately.)

The Good Wife was virtually the only show I kinda liked better the lesser it was serialized, at least towards the end of its run.

That's probably because season 6 and 7 of the The Good Wife sucked. Season 5 is very serialized and absolutely fantastic for it. Whatever—I've decided they don't exist in my headcanon.

Anyway, episode 2 was great. I'm loving this season. Season 1 was good, but it felt a little "safe". I think with season 2, they've found their groove with the spinoff. The tone is darker in an appropriate way.

I'm not convinced the Maia plotline is over. It'll go away for a bit so the show can focus on other things—then it will come back to haunt them. That's how this show works.

Did anyone else notice how openly Diane and Liz were talking in the bar? Dianne literally says "why are you slipping us information?" Liz responds that she is "gunning" for the attorney's office. It's an open bar—anyone could have heard and recorded them, or testified to what they were saying. Couple this with how noticeably well-prepared Maia and Lucca were for Dianne Lockheart's "surprise" testimony—the judge remarks on how well they did—and the prosecution's assertion at the beginning that Maia's firm shouldn't be allowed to represent her at all due to Liz's partnership... I bet someone at the ASA's office is going to do some digging.

Still not sure about the "Kill all lawyers" stuff, hope everything becomes a bit clearer and more structured soon.
I'm not either, but I trust The Good Wife's writers to take it somewhere good. They've never let me down before, because remember, season 6 and 7 don't exist. :D

OP
OP
berzeli

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, I'm officially on board for this season. This episode won me over completely. I won't get any more specific since I'm aware we get the episodes early in the Nordics (bless you HBO Nordic, for once you do something right). But Rob Reiner's judge is up there with some of the best ones from The Good Wife, it does some lovely persistent alternate universe callbacks (including some meta commentary), and it does what is one of the best f-bomb drops I've seen on TV for a while.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Okay, I'm officially on board for this season. This episode won me over completely. I won't get any more specific since I'm aware we get the episodes early in the Nordics (bless you HBO Nordic, for once you do something right). But Rob Reiner's judge is up there with some of the best ones from The Good Wife, it does some lovely persistent alternate universe callbacks (including some meta commentary), and it does what is one of the best f-bomb drops I've seen on TV for a while.
I agree. Just finished it. Best so far this season. Taking cases. Marissa is getting laid. I'm a happy camper.

Also those scenes from the next on..
ELSBETH!!!!

Last edited:

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I'm liking this thrend of the episodes just getting better and better. So yeah, really liked today's ep.

What do y'all think is happening with Diane exactly? I'd like to hear what y'all think. I mean, my best estimate, is that she's suffering from ptsd, from trump being president? I dunno.

adg1034

Oct 25, 2017
I'm liking this thrend of the episodes just getting better and better. So yeah, really liked today's ep.

What do y'all think is happening with Diane exactly? I'd like to hear what y'all think. I mean, my best estimate, is that she's suffering from ptsd, from trump being president? I dunno.
I was just taking it as the combination of Trump + the
microdosing
+ the string of lawyer killings that was shaking up her life.

And it was great to see even more familiar faces this episode! Seems like they're being pretty judicious in how often they roll out the other Good Wife alums.

iiicon

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
The latest episode might be the best episode of the series yet. It felt like something out of peak Good Wife: structurally playful, principled cases about invested people, with larger character arcs developed throughout.

Wafflinson

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
I was a massive fan of The Good Wife, and I was hyped when this show was announced.

... then I read and premise on wiki and noped out because it was so moronic.

Maybe I can talk myself into giving it a shot.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I was a massive fan of The Good Wife, and I was hyped when this show was announced.

I mean, if you were a massive fan of the good wife then there's a great chance that at the very least, you'll dig the show. It has very similar vibes.

OP
OP
berzeli

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah this season keeps on getting better.

Also, I just have to share these photos from the Russian remake of The Good Wife
1558.jpg

1325.jpg

Deadline initially incorrectly asserted in their article that this is the first international version (they fixed it now but I checked with google cache and they did screw up), it is the second. There is also a K-drama remake of the same name, but I was only able to find parts of the first episode with good subtitles and it wasn't that good.

I wasn't on board at first because of the premise but it works really well, it is easily on par with The Good Wife.

Wowfunhappy

Oct 27, 2017
Have to agree this episode was great. I generally get kind of annoyed when they try to cram two cases into a single episode, but it really worked here. Both cases felt well developed and the interplay between them was a lot of fun.

I'm surprised Adrian would want to just shut down that website, though. What a dick move. It seems highly unlikely to actually take away business.

Uh, by premise, you mean the Rendell scandel? What about that is moronic?

Deadline initially incorrectly asserted in their article that this is the first international version (they fixed it now but I checked with google cache and they did screw up), it is the second [international remake]. There is also a K-drama remake of the same name, but I was only able to find parts of the first episode with good subtitles and it wasn't that good.

What is with this, by the way? I was under the impression TGW's ratings were never all that great to begin with, so it doesn't seem like something that other studios would be chomping at the bit to remake.

BTW, worth watching? Or does it feel too similar?

Last edited:

ody

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sucks to see this thread dead. I've been enjoying this season much more than the first

Wowfunhappy

Oct 27, 2017
Sucks to see this thread dead. I've been enjoying this season much more than the first
Well The Good Wife never seemed to have a big following on Neogaf to begin with, probably due in no small part to how stupid the show's name was.

And then with The Good Fight, they've just made the thing so damn hard to watch. I actually buy all my shows on iTunes, so I didn't think the All Access thing would affect me—but then CBS seems to have decided to not put the show on iTunes either this season. I had to make a Canadian account and then coordinate with a friend to get a gift card...

Last edited:

Sloane

Oct 25, 2017
Well The Good Wife never seemed to have a big following on Neogaf to begin with, probably due in no small part to how stupid the show's name was.

And then with The Good Fight, they've just made the thing so damn hard to watch. I actually buy all my shows on iTunes, so I didn't think the All Access thing would affect me—but then CBS seems to have decided to not put the show on iTunes either this season. I had to make a Canadian account and then coordinate with a friend to get a gift card...
Yeah. The title, airing on CBS, and being considered a procedural meant some people would never watch TGW, no matter what, and now the audience is even smaller. Hope CBS still loves the show and that Access thing enough to continue making it.

As for the last episode, I definitely liked it, even though it felt a little too much at times. Was nice to see so many familiar faces again but some were a little wasted -- I probably would have preferred them focusing entirely on the first case and have it play out with a little more nuance instead of just having them find the smoking gun relatively quickly, but oh well.

OP
OP
berzeli

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
I continue to be impressed by this show, there were so many ways this episode could have missed the mark and it didn't. Well it was a touch nice to the Chicago PD but the ripped from the headlines case was handled rather well especially the subplot they had for Boseman.

Deleted member 5167

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I love this show and am glad its back.

As mentioned above, they're all on Amazon Prime, so I figure its just part of that shitty shadow war the various UK streaming services have going on with each other.
Better than being locked to NowTV at least.

The name and synopsis ("Plucky female lawyer stands by her man, sex-scandal politician and resumes her career after being a stay at home mom!") couldn't be less representative of what the show was actually about or more off putting to, I dunno, people who aren't menopausal.

RellikSK

Nov 1, 2017
I was interested in The Good Wife for a while, was looking for a good law type show after Suits got boring to me. The one thing that stopped me from jumping in on the show much earlier was the name. Eventually I started it and binged watched the whole thing on Netflix UK.

I really liked the lastest episode, well any episode with Elsbeth is going to be good atleast and am so glad they resolved the whole Maia family situation. I feel like the show can finally move on from that and be great.

OP
OP
berzeli

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
Woops missed this post;
What is with this, by the way? I was under the impression TGW's ratings were never all that great to begin with, so it doesn't seem like something that other studios would be chomping at the bit to remake.

BTW, worth watching? Or does it feel too similar?
The Good Wife did earn quite a bit of acclaim and did sell to multiple countries. I don't know if it set the world on fire in terms of ratings in any of them but it's not a totally unknown quantity. It's also a premise that is easy to translate to another country.

Eh. The bits I saw were fine but not exactly worth putting in effort to chase down. Supposedly it devolves into some k-drama tropes that don't gel with the overall format and it didn't get renewed iirc.

Dio

Oct 25, 2017
it's unbelievable how much better this show can be without Julianna Margulies doing politics behind the scenes. really liking this season so far.

Sloane

Oct 25, 2017
Good episode!

Had they hinted at Luca
being pregnant
before or was her looking stuff up on her phone the first time? Think I missed or forgot something there.

Not sure how to feel about all the Trump stuff. On the one hand, I can totally relate to Diane's Trump "fatigue" -- on the other hand, the show is essentially becoming part of what it's accusing. Wasn't a big factor this episode, just two scenes, but I really wish I wouldn't have to see the fucking guy everywhere. Politics has always been a (often too) big part of TGW / TGF obviously but it still felt mostly in its own universe until season 7 or so when Peter was supposedly running against O'Malley or whatever it was.

Also, I would totally watch another spin-off of just Marrissa and Jay doing their thing.

Wowfunhappy

Oct 27, 2017
What the F is up with Dianne? Is she actually going crazy?

That bit with two Trumps (?) dancing in the window...

Also, do you guys buy the police officer's explanation as to why he stole the jewels?

Sloane

Oct 25, 2017
What the F is up with Dianne? Is she actually going crazy?

That bit with two Trumps (?) dancing in the window...

Also, do you guys buy the police officer's explanation as to why he stole the jewels?
Considering he had that photo, I think we are supposed to buy his story. Doubt they would have stolen the stuff otherwise with Maia around, and it made sense to show that Maia, who suffered the entire first season from other people jumping to conclusions, isn't above that herself.

As for Diane, I was happy she at least did something other than laughing hysterically this episode. Not sure where they are going with her character and the whole microdosing thing though; to me, she's the least interesting / important character at the moment, which feels a little weird. Hope this (and Tulley and Kurt) leads to anything.

Wowfunhappy

Oct 27, 2017
As for Diane, I was happy she at least did something other than laughing hysterically this episode. Not sure where they are going with her character and the whole microdosing thing though; to me, she's the least interesting / important character at the moment, which feels a little weird. Hope this (and Tulley and Kurt) leads to anything.

Speaking of the microdosing actually... now that Dianne has revealed herself to be an unreliable narrator, I'm wondering if the guy who sold her the substance was real in the first place. I mean, that's a little weird, this random bartender randomly offering to sell an illegal drug to Dianne and no one else.

I agree she's the least interesting character at the moment, but I think (?) it's leading somewhere?

I'm actually not pleased at the cheating-on-Kurt plot line. It feels too standard and predictable for this show. I actually thought she was going to just tell Kurt last episode, which would have been nice as opposed to dragging this out...

Last edited:

Deleted member 5167

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of the microdosing actually... now that Dianne has revealed herself to be an unreliable narrator, I'm wondering if the guy who sold her the substance was real in the first place. I mean, that's a little weird, this random bartender randomly offering to sell an illegal drug to Dianne and no one else.

I'm watching in the UK, so I dunno how many episodes I am behind, but we just had the fake ricin attack episode and at the end when marissa and maia are getting drunk theres the same bartender at that bar, and he also asks if they want something stronger

Wowfunhappy

Oct 27, 2017
Hey, so does anyone here have TV show recommendations for someone who loves TGW/TGF but has trouble finding much else to watch?

I really enjoy the "backstabbing" on this show—but combined with the fact that most of the characters are generally "good" people, as opposed to something like House of Cards. It also manages to strike a nice balance of being consistently exciting without being overly stressful.

I buy everything on iTunes (or disc), so it doesn't matter if a show is on a particular streaming service.

Last edited:

2pac_71

Oct 25, 2017
Hey, so does anyone here have TV show recommendations for someone who loves TGW/TGF but has trouble finding much else to watch?

I really enjoy the "backstabbing" on this show—but combined with the fact that most of the characters are generally "good" people, as opposed to something like House of Cards. It also manages to strike a nice balance of being consistently exciting without being overly stressful.

Have you watched Damages with rose byrne and Glenn close ? One of my favourite shows. Not sure where it streams though. Might be hard to track down.

Deleted member 5167

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I buy everything on iTunes (or disc), so it doesn't matter if a show is on a particular streaming service.

Suits is absolutely full of backstabbing fuckery, and lawyery in-fighting

Status
Not open for further replies.