• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

EzekelRAGE

Nov 3, 2017
I'm done with Trump being the subject of every conversation.
Yea, it's getting really stupid. It seems they have nothing for Diane to do . I like the trump stuff in regards to Julius/Geoffrey. But the angle with Diane/Kurt sucks.

This episode felt like filler. Only like 15 minutes of stuff I cared about. Firm/courtroom stuff.

They are overdoing the sheen thing a bit, but for the most part I like it. I thought he would be like Lizbit?(red head from true blood) awkward way of doing things but is very smart. Seems he is just a crazy scumbag?

I loved the thing he and Maia did in court with the folder of coupons/menus.

I'm assuming since they got that actor for Geoffrey, that isn't the last we see of him.

Didn't like the scene with her and the baby.

Wowfunhappy

Oct 27, 2017
I don't agree with you guys at all—Trump, semi-ironically, feels like what this show needed. Focusing on him is what saved the show in season 2 (I enjoyed the first season well enough, but I think most will agree the Bernie Madoff-esque plot wasn't working).

Anyway, this episode was a dud for me. I didn't like that new lawyer Maia worked with at all. Maia should get rid of the lollipop and then report him to the judge. :/

Separately, I apparently need to educate myself more on Roy Cohn. I knew he was Trump's lawyer and did some shady stuff, but not much else? Any good podcast episodes on the subject I can listen to? (Needs to be audio.)

Last edited:

Haribokart

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really liked it as a one off during season 2 but now I fucking hate the musical interludes being in every episode. They are shit.

OP
OP
berzeli

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
I don't agree with you guys at all—Trump, semi-ironically, feels like what this show needed. Focusing on him is what saved the show in season 2 (I enjoyed the first season well enough, but I think most will agree Bernie Madoff-esque plot wasn't working).
Yeah, being unabashedly Trump centric and amping up the surrealism of living under the Trump administration really works for me as well. But then again, I was one of those who really liked the politics subplots in The Good Wife.
Separately, I apparently need to educate myself more on Roy Cohn. I knew he was Trump's lawyer and did some shady stuff, but not much else? Any good podcast episodes on the subject I can listen to? (Needs to be audio.)
Oh, Roy Cohn was the devil. I don't know any good long form podcast on him, but this is a neat 26 minutes that is based on an Esquire profile. It kinda only gets into some of the basics of what he did, but it paints a rather vivid portrait of him as a person.
Cohn is also a pretty central figure in Angels in America, which is a terrific play, that also has a terrific HBO adaptation with Al Pacino as Cohn, featuring Merryl Streep and Emma Thompson, and is directed by Mike Nichols.

EzekelRAGE

Nov 3, 2017
I like the trump/politics stuff when it is serious. For example the Julius stuff/ mags from last season vetting the firms for a potential impeachment etc.

The trump/ political dynamics within the firm I like.

The stuff with Diane/Kurt/hunting is just a waste for me.

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
Maia's new, err... teacher? didn't quite work for me.

I echo the sentiment that I'm tired of Trump and Diane stuff. Does she even go to court anymore? When her teacher went full alt-right out of nowhere I thought she was still doing mushrooms.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
It feels like there's a place they're trying to get Diane, but they're not sure how to do it. I do love me some Kurt/Diane scenes, but it does feel very forced. I think maybe they're trying to get her to a point where she's this show's Peter Florrick - legal person who's getting into politics - but it's harder to do because SA-Governor-Presidental Candidate was a natural flow, whereas whatever route they push Diane feels off. I'm hoping that the leaflet she picked-up at the end of the last episode signifies the start of the final part of this arc for her, and it becomes more focussed. Having her run as a Senator or Presidential Candidate would be a nice echo of her respect for Hillary that's been noted a few times in the past.

Musical interludes are... Okay. They're a bit "eh, whatevs", and break the flow of the show, but also somewhat informative, so. *shrugs*

Nov 1, 2017
This show is pretty clearly ABOUT Trump now, specifically about living and trying to stay sane while he's president. If you're getting tired of it, you might as well stop watching because it doesn't seem like it'll let up anytime soon.

To me, the Trump stuff makes the show feel much more relevant and interesting than the original premise of a Bernie-Madoff-type scheme, which felt completely outdated even before Trump happened.

Haribokart

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd rather they were not there at all but if they have to be, feel they would be better at the end of the episodes instead of the middle.

Sloane

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't a huge fan of the first two episodes but this one was pretty good.

Things I like about the season so far:
- Maia is a main character again, maybe even the lead? End of the episode with Sheen was fantastic.
- They've completely forgotten about whatshisface... Colin? Glad they didn't even try to drag that out.
- The latest campaign storyline might not suck with Marissa running things.
- The NDAs / pay-offs from the first ep actually having consequences.
- Watching Boseman is always fun even if he doesn't get a lot meaningful to do.

Things I don't like:
- Diane's entire storyline is crap and feels incredibly naive at times.
- Sheen's character is way too much, even for this show.
- The "Shorts" are an awkward excuse for having to lay so much pipe. (Although "having to" is arguable when it comes to NDAs or troll farms.)

Overall, my feelings about the show haven't changed much from last season. All the stuff in the firm and the court room works (Sheen shenanigans aside) but they have no idea what to do with Diane and the political aspects often feel forced.

I'm still looking forward to every new episode though, something I can't say for many shows!

pj-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
no idea wtf they are thinking with michael sheen's character

the voice, the mannerisms, the behavior

ridiculous and distracting

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Michael Sheen feels like a character from Boston Legal that ended up in wrong show

All the stuff in the firm and the court room works (Sheen shenanigans aside) but they have no idea what to do with Diane and the political aspects often feel forced.
Is really the same for the firm politics and cases they take tend to be fun while Diane stuff can be annoying

It's not even a trump thing I don't think because I like it when it has to do with ths firm

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
The Trump stuff is so pointless, but I think I enjoy how stupidly weird the show has been this season. It's all style and no substance, but whatever. lol

Also at least Maia is a person again even if, for some reason, she has nothing to do with any of the other characters.

Last edited:

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
The whole "resistance club" thing is killing me. I'm back to thinking Diane is hallucinating it, 'cause it's just so much.

Surely a lawyer can find a better path of resistance than making troll farms...
Michael Sheen feels like a character from Boston Legal that ended up in wrong show
It's funny because it's true. He's like the Good Wife's most ridiculous characters amped up, then fused together. He's a despicable character, but it's great that they're letting Maia grow because of him.

Overall I wish they just had more episodes. You can tell they want to juggle all of the big plot threads flying around each episode with some nice procedural lawyerin', but there simply isn't enough time to make that matter. Like Maia's trial has 0 mention of the clients, when that's traditionally been a cornerstone of the cases (well, in TGW, at least).

OP
OP
berzeli

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
Look, I get that we're not going to agree about the Trump focus or Michael Sheen being awesome. So to all my detractors:
90RNI4F.gif

Ok. So a more serious take, I just love this show. Yes it has gone totally absurdist. Yes, Michael Sheen isn't just chewing on a bit of the scenery but rather gulping down the entire set in one go (but then again with the week of Avenatti we had before, he seems less of a caricature in comparison to that real world person).
And this just make me love the show more.

The whole Michael Sheen musical bit at the end is probably going to end up as a personal highlight of the year. Unless the show tops itself, and considering we're just 3 episodes in it certainly has the opportunity to do so.

edit: I got so caught up with Michael Sheen I forgot about the NSA guys. I love how they are back. Goats > Clowns though.

Last edited:

ody

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Im still enjoying it as well :) My only complaint are the cartoons being in every episode. I preferred when they were fun little surprises.

Wowfunhappy

Oct 27, 2017
I thought the second episode was a real downer, but this third one was awesome again. I really hated the Roy Cohen-esque character in the second ep (I assume from the conversations here he's the guy played by "Michael Sheen"?), but the character totally worked for me this time around.

Early on in the ep, I was worried that juggling three big plots would be too much, but they made it work. It helped, I'm sure, that the episode was a full hour long.

Don't know how I feel about Marissa running Julius's campaign. I love Marissa, but I hate Julius because he voted for Trump.

Surely a lawyer can find a better path of resistance than making troll farms...

No, that's the point—all the lawyerly stuff has already been tried. Trump is immune. A new tactic was needed.

I don't know that a counter troll farm is as original an idea as the show made it out to be, but I found it believable enough.

They want to distract you from the fact that they don't know what to do with the show after the first season.

I mean, I think they had absolutely had a plan—keep going with the Maia case. They just changed their minds and wrapped up the case because they thought they had a better idea. :P

It's interesting... I seem to remember the reaction to the Trump stuff being much more positive in last season's thread. (But, I haven't gone back and looked.)

I preferred when they were fun little surprises.
There was only ever one before this season. :P

I really like them. Yes, they're kind of random, but I enjoy going into each episode wondering when the song will pop up and what it'll be about. I also think the consistency of having one per episode makes them feel less out of place overall, if that makes sense.

Look, I get that we're not going to agree about the Trump focus or Michael Sheen being awesome. So to all my detractors:
Perfection.

Last edited:

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
No, that's the point—all the lawyerly stuff has already been tried. Trump is immune. A new tactic was needed.

I don't know that a counter troll farm is as original an idea as the show made it out to be, but I found it believable enough.
It just bothers me a lot because it's such a toothless conclusion to the whole "Diane needs to fight back" arc. Like... when the system is broken, you play by the new broken rules--that's the conclusion The Good Fight came to and it's awful.

All this time I was really hoping for some kind of higher meaning, or twist or something, but this last episode has really cemented that "fighting the good fight" just means playing by the opponent's rules. It idealises a sort of naive resistance that will only ever achieve convenient victories. TGF has twisted "resistance" into a hobby.

Wowfunhappy

Oct 27, 2017
All this time I was really hoping for some kind of higher meaning, or twist or something, but this last episode has really cemented that "fighting the good fight" just means playing by the opponent's rules. It idealises a sort of naive resistance that will only ever achieve convenient victories. TGF has twisted "resistance" into a hobby.

I agree with this in principle.

But... look at it from this perspective: the idea that you can't win without adopting your opponent's rules is one of the most central themes in The Good Wife. Alesha starts out as an idealist who strives to do "the right thing", particularly in light of what happened to her husband. But Alesha also wants to win, and as time goes on, she adopts increasingly underhanded tactics out of necessity. For the most part, this works, at least at first—Alesha wins cases, moves up in her company, and gains notoriety. By the end, however, Alesha is really no better than her husband.

I don't expect Dianne will get away more easily. We're still early in the season, let's see what happens.

Nov 1, 2017
Counterargument: Becoming entirely focused on Trump was a great pivot for the show and everything about the Rindell Fund storyline sucked ass and was so goddamn boring. The show is going insane because living in Trump's America makes you feel insane. And both seasons have pretty well-defined themes of their own and season 2's resolved pretty clearly. So it's not pointless or rudderless at all imo!

Jury's still out on Blum tho. I get that he's based on a real person but it's still just so out there. I like how Maia and Diane played off of him in this episode tho and I think he'll work much better as an opponent.

(Also, Jane Lynch's character in S1 was less believable than Sheen's)

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
The very first shot of the show was Diane watching the tv, bewildered, at trump becoming president. Her trump storyline makes complete sense, and is a appropriate storyline to have for her.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
The problem with a Trump storyline for me is that it just traps you, much like when Sorkin decided to make The Newsroom based on real life instead of inventing news like he did with The West Wing. At least if it was a Trump-analogue, then they could actually go places with the story. If Trump wins in 2020 and the show is still around, will it just be four more years of Diana being frustrated and not being able to do anything?

EzekelRAGE

Nov 3, 2017
Is really the same for the firm politics and cases they take tend to be fun while Diane stuff can be annoying

It's not even a trump thing I don't think because I like it when it has to do with ths firm
Yea trump stuff + firm stuff is ok.
Firm stuff is good

Diane +trump stuff is what is dragging this show down for me..

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
The rest of the episode was excellent. I'm not sure about Marissa running Julius' campaign, it starting to feel like she can do pretty much anything.

Yeah, it's a bit much, but it's also a perfectly natural step for her, given she's Eli Gold's daughter. Rewatching The Good Wife, and there's plenty of points where she has a clear idea of what she'd do in Alicia's SA campaign. It'd be interesting if they got Alan Cumming to guest as Eli at some point, though given he's starring in some FBI profiler series (or something?) as the main character, it seems unlikely.

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The rest of the episode was excellent. I'm not sure about Marissa running Julius' campaign, it starting to feel like she can do pretty much anything.

I was just waiting to see if she was going to ask to get paid to do it. You would think Julius is just going to count it as part of her regular job with the way the scene was edited.

OP
OP
berzeli

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
This is still very much working for me, the Coulton cartoon about irony poisoning and pepe the frog was the best one yet (including the one from last season), the white woman calling the police on Lucca only missed one of those cutesy nicknames for the white woman, the pay disparity issue got a tonne more nuance than they needed to do with it and was all the better for it, the resistance group starting to show its ugly side was inevitable but it's interesting to see Liz get dragged into it, that Taylor Swift analogue genuinely had me pausing the episode for a minute so I could breathe and not die from cackling, Julius got a really good character beat standing up for Marissa, and holy shit look at that Maia has an actual character arc this season. This is madness.

Last edited:

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
I can see it now, someone is going to open their own firm. Lucca, Maia, something disruptive is about to happen.

waffleboy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm still enjoying the show, but I'm sorry the Jonathan Coulton animated bits make me want to turn it off.

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This is still very much working for me, the Coulton cartoon about irony poisoning and pepe the frog was the best one yet (including the one from last season), the white woman calling the police on Lucca only missed one of those cutesy nicknames for the white woman, the pay disparity issue got a tonne more nuance than they needed to do with it and was all the better for it, the resistance group starting to show its ugly side was inevitable but it's interesting to see Liz get dragged into it, that Taylor Swift analogue genuinely had me pausing the episode for a minute so I could breathe and not die from cackling, Julius got a really good character beat standing up for Marissa, and holy shit look at that Maia has an actual character arc this season. This is madness.

One of the Youtube videos said "Polly Playground" was the name of the white woman.

This season has been solid, but I really enjoyed the way the race pay disparity issues were handled. Very multilayered and no easy answers.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Did they just write Maia out? Or is she going to partner with Blum or something...

ody

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just now getting to this weeks episode...

the lady calling the cops LOL

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
This is probably the best episode this season so far

Even the Diane story is entertaining