• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 5167

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So the points thing is a double bluff, right?
We know there's an altruism element to earning points, and that if you're doing good deeds to earn points you won't earn points, which is why Michael & Janet don't think they're earning points any more.
But then they told them that knowing about the points system means they're excluded from earning points.
And they're now doing good deeds under the belief that they definitely cannot be earning points from doing so.

...they're earning points.

Fireblend

Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
We know there's an altruism element to earning points, and that if you're doing good deeds to earn points you won't earn points, which is why Michael & Janet don't think they're earning points any more.
But then they told them that knowing about the points system means they're excluded from earning points.
And they're now doing good deeds under the belief that they definitely cannot be earning points from doing so.

100%

jmood88

Oct 28, 2017
1. I thought the stuff about Chidi's body in the earlier seasons were just jokes, but damn. I felt like I immediately had to go to the gym after that episode.

2. The way "what the hell is this?" about the dot over Bearimy was delivered made me laugh really hard.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Knowing it to be a fact removes any faith involved. There's a difference between fully believing in something blindly and suddenly knowing it to be a fact, more so for people on the fence or that didn't believe before.
Also I doubt a lot of religious people get in because they probably let in people who did good deeds because they genuinely believe in good deeds regardless of religion

Not people who think they get religious brownie points

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Also I doubt a lot of religious people get in because they probably let in people who did good deeds because they genuinely believe in good deeds regardless of religion

Not people who think they get religious brownie points

That's rather my point, y'see. So much of religion is predicated on the notion as "You must act this way, else you'll go to The Bad Place"; I don't think knowing the end result affects the motivation rule.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Shirtless Chidi broke me.

As did Jeremy Bearimy. The dot over the I lmao

OgTheEnigma

Oct 27, 2017
Liverpool
I'm curious about what will happen to people who die in the future after earth timeline has passed the final y in Jeremy Bearimy. Will they just end up lost in time and space?

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

If you do a good deed knowing that your motivation is tainted by knowing about the point system and your points don't count, but you did them anyway making them count, and you knew that they'd count anyway (or at least guessed that they would) if you kept doing them with the knowledge that they wouldn't count, would they count?

Deleted member 5167

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you do a good deed knowing that your motivation is tainted by knowing about the point system and your points don't count, but you did them anyway making them count, and you knew that they'd count anyway (or at least guessed that they would) if you kept doing them with the knowledge that they wouldn't count, would they count?

I think its pretty clear the 'system' knows why people do what they do, and if their good deeds aren't done out of altruism they don't count.
Thats pretty much literally why Tahani ended up in the bad place in the first place, because her lifetime of charitable works were done to stick it to her family not out of any particular interest in helping anyone.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I exclaimed at the dot over the I as soon as I saw it, and then Chidi walked up and said the same thing. Amazing moments.

OP
OP
StarCreator

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
I like that in the beginning of the episode Eleanor's threat to get Michael to talk was that Chidi would beat him up if he didn't. Just like she did countless times in the afterlife, she apparently had his physique in mind even then.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Can sum up the whole page with this
tenor.gif

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
Speaking of thirsty people, Janet has been rather thirsty for Jason all season so far. Hopefully she gets her man.

OP
OP
StarCreator

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
Interview with William Jackson Harper on The Undefeated
Q: Chidi appears shirtless in the latest episode, much to the excitement of several of my fellow female critics. How do you feel about becoming a sex symbol?
A: Oh, I don't think that's going to happen. I think I'll take off my shirt and I'll look average, and that will be fine. I did work out and I did diet, but that was only so I could keep my body as neutral as possible. You know? Try to remove some unwanted lumps? But I was trying to make my body so there will be no comments whatsoever. Honestly, that frightens me a little bit. I hope it's not like, 'Oh, snap, what's happening underneath that shirt is not right.' That's what I'm a little afraid of.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think that's a miss he did hit it but it went outside the stadium
The pitch he was trying to hit was "average body unworthy of comment," that he missed.

Maybe he thinks everybody else on earth looks like something out of Riverdale, but no, even by those standards dude looks great.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Can't decide if the manifesto totally ends up with an earlier version of Michael+Janet thanks to how we now know time works, or if it will be immediately just be a fake out into something else.

or if it'll end up with, say, past Jason instead

(or if, say, it already did, etc. etc. etc.)

There's also the whole thing about "starting a new timeline" that could lead to some trouble there, if another version of them gets saved due to that Michael+Janet but they're still doomed...

When Chidi called his students "my little chili babies", I lost it.

This episode is just so good. Such an amazing return to form.

Those lines were amazing.

I've enjoyed the season a lot so far but I far prefer this kind of characters embarrassing themselves over Eleanor last episode, which I had to keep pausing before resuming...

I agree, but I think this is more another thing that will introduce conflict/make them panic than something that will necessarily save them?

Once they realize this loophole it stops working because they're doing it for the sake of earning points. But if they keep doing good despite that, it's still the same loophole of doing things without expecting a reward, isn't it? So at some point, can you even tell if you're doing good selflessly or not? Hmm.

Alternatively, there's also, say... what if Eleanor thought the loophole through in advance, and actually proposed still doing good so that the others would get points even if her thinking about it means she can't, except that would be a selfless sacrifice that she cannot tell any of the other humans about and would therefore be a very good thing, and...

but I trust them to execute things better than my spitballing, hah

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I totally agree with what someone suggested earlier.

The 4 of them will do all of these selfless things and actually get enough good points to go to the good place, but before they die they accidentally leak the scoring system to the rest of the world, invalidating the system and sending everyone to the middle place, where season 4 will involve the characters trialling out a new system

Oct 25, 2017
Liked the episode, but loved that when Chidi is checking out at the supermarket you can see that he was purchasing, in addition to all the chili stuff, a very large quantity of almond milk. It was the one thing that really cemented his breakdown.

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
I totally agree with what someone suggested earlier.

The 4 of them will do all of these selfless things and actually get enough good points to go to the good place, but before they die they accidentally leak the scoring system to the rest of the world, invalidating the system and sending everyone to the middle place, where season 4 will involve the characters trialling out a new system
only 2 of them could possibly screw up Eleanor or Micheal
but i think micheal will somehow be shown outside his human wet suit

Nelo Ice

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Just finished the episode. Good lord Chidi is jacked. He wasn't indecisive there. Also lol totally forgot Larry existed.

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
Probably my favorite performance from Chidi, just great delivery in his breakdown. Sometimes his indecisiveness can be too much of a stretch for me, but everything he was doing was gold. He is a good teacher as well, the way he snapped out of his chili craziness and just broke down those 3 schools of philosophy effortlessly or the impact he has had on Eleanor.

Jason's throwaway lines are always great - like he how suggest putting Tahani's money on a Gamestop gift card if it would be easier or his gaming the 1 lollipop rule.

Luke_wal

Oct 25, 2017
This episode was amazing and really ranked up there with some of my favorites. The level of creativity that this show consistently aspires to and hits is amazing to me. This show will truly go on to be a classic.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I'm curious about what will happen to people who die in the future after earth timeline has passed the final y in Jeremy Bearimy. Will they just end up lost in time and space?

It loops back from the y to the J. Hence the weird cursiveness lol.

I think the dot will end up being the "loophole" they need to break out of their current situation, like a place that exists outside of the Earth timeline and the Afterlife timeline.

fieldafar

Jan 23, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
Another great episode, especially Chidi's breakdown.

And I just love seeing how my home country (full of criminals and spiders) is being portrayed in the show. If only supermarkets here actually did sell Peeps.

Luke_wal

Oct 25, 2017
It loops back from the y to the J. Hence the weird cursiveness lol.

I think the dot will end up being the "loophole" they need to break out of their current situation, like a place that exists outside of the Earth timeline and the Afterlife timeline.

Oh wow, that'd be genius if Chidi's seemingly throwaway freakout was actually the solution!

I'm also just waiting for the moment where Michael and Janet realize they have no money and nowhere to live on Earth and have to start basically living as normal humans.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Oh wow, that'd be genius if Chidi's seemingly throwaway freakout was actually the solution!

I'm also just waiting for the moment where Michael and Janet realize they have no money and nowhere to live on Earth and have to start basically living as normal humans.

It's literally a loop within a very long loop lol
There must be something there :P

Michael would be very excited to do all sorts of Earth things. I don't think they'll stay in the situation for too long though, at least I have faith in the writers not to.

principal

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Feb 14, 2018
Sitting in the back seat of a taxi in Straya. Only an American would do that.

Not Asleep

Oct 25, 2017

This post should've been much harder to follow than it was, lol.

Random: I read somewhere (AVClub?) that Michael Schur had talked through the show with Damon Lindelof because of thematic and structural similarities to Lost and The Leftovers. This immediately struck me as very true and completely absurd simultaneously. Anyway, the guy asking Chidi if he wanted to see god was apparently a reference to The Leftovers. I also read that there are bunch of other Leftovers references in the pilot, which I'll now have to rewatch...