• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
That was... somehow disappointing to be honest. We didn't get to see the Good Place and the episode ends with them jumping into yet another portal somewhere, so they may finally accomplish something (This time for real because the season is almost over).

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
I really missed The Good Place. Such a great episode, I was smiling the whole way through.
Jason's line about refugees at the very beginning just killed me. Probably because of the current political climate.

I think they've used the line before but possibly only in the extended versions. It's a great line and more pertinent now than it was then, so it makes sense that they wanted to get it in the 'official' releases.

Francesco

Nov 22, 2017
Once again the Eleanor and Chidi love story proves to be one of the most forced and awkward relationships ever shown on thelevision.

Eleanor being one of the most underwritten personalities doesn't help either. Rewatching her on s01e01, s02 and now just shows how lazy they've been with her character development.

Not to mention how most episodes have just been having the main cast stand in a line in empty rooms for two seasons.

They should make this the Michael and Janet show. They are the only interesting characters on it, and the only ones with whom they actually try to be creative.

The world building is still strong and where most of the show shines but the protagonists are bland and their relationships utterly underdeveloped and unbelievable, the jokes unfunny and the camerawork and staging is often as lazy as a sitcom's. I'm starting to hate this show.
S1E1 was never surpassed.
Thank god 99 was picked up again.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
They already addressed that based on the rules, he was doing well because he didn't know the rules to get in.
That shouldn't matter. It's still his intent to do good for the sake of a reward. That's why none of Tahani's accomplishments mattered. She was doing it FOR something, not because it was the right thing to do.

I did find it pretty clever the point system's flaw is because it's nearly impossible to not benefit from someone's misery past a certain cap in history. Kinda lends to how bad we are today at punishing corporations for underhanded tactics and poor conditions for workers because it'd be inconvenient but still perceive ourselves as good people.

lacer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Once again the Eleanor and Chidi love story proves to be one of the most forced and awkward relationships ever shown on thelevision.

Eleanor being one of the most underwritten personalities doesn't help either. Rewatching her on s01e01, s02 and now just shows how lazy they've been with her character development.

Not to mention how most episodes have just been having the main cast stand in a line in empty rooms for two seasons.

They should make this the Michael and Janet show. They are the only interesting characters on it, and the only ones with whom they actually try to be creative.

The world building is still strong and where most of the show shines but the protagonists are bland and their relationships utterly underdeveloped and unbelievable, the jokes unfunny and the camerawork and staging is often as lazy as a sitcom's. I'm starting to hate this show.
S1E1 was never surpassed.
Thank god 99 was picked up again.
jeez it must suck being forced to watch something you dislike so much. i hope your captors release you soon

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I am getting a little bored with the whole 'stuck in one place for an episode then portaling out' formula, but the writing is consistently making me laugh so it's hard to be mad. I'm hoping they're working toward a conclusion with Season 4 though.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Just watched the episode. I do agree with Francesco that Eleanor's character is somehow the least complex of everyone in the group, but Kristen Bell buoys that by just being so damn good at what she does.

Overall, really loved the episode, and glad the plot is just continuing to keep moving at the pace it needs to.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure I'm in love with the anticapitalist take on what the point system implies, honestly. The whole thread there was that the people making those point value decisions are wrong. That there may or may not be ethical consumption under capitalism, but it's wrong to condemn people for participating in the systems as they exist. There's definitely a jab at capitalism in there, but it's made murky by the show-specific stuff going on.

Hardan

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not sure I'm in love with the anticapitalist take on what the point system implies, honestly. The whole thread there was that the people making those point value decisions are wrong. That there may or may not be ethical consumption under capitalism, but it's wrong to condemn people for participating in the systems as they exist. There's definitely a jab at capitalism in there, but it's made murky by the show-specific stuff going on.

Isn't that the exact point that the show is trying to make? That the points system has become outdated for the complexity of the system we live in?

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't that the exact point that the show is trying to make? That the points system has become outdated for the complexity of the system we live in?
Yeah, that's the show's point - but that makes the takes emphasizing the anticapitalist nature of the episode sort of an overstatement. All I was getting at.

Nov 1, 2017
Very down with the anti capitalism implications. Will be curious to see if they lean into that or if they go with the broader "the dang world just got too complicated"

The thing about Doug Forcett doesn't bother me. Unless I'm forgetting something, he's not explicitly doing it for the reward of the afterlife, he's doing it because it's the way he thinks the universe is supposed to work. By that metric, nobody who
follows any religion would make it into their respective afterlife.

Biggest plot hole for me right now is Mindy St Clair.

AquaRegia

Oct 25, 2017
Mindy gets the consequential points for helping people, but not the negatives for whatever exact way they were helped.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
Watched 3 episodes (first season). Didn't really enjoy, don't really think it is a bad show. How long till it clicks?

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Watched 3 episodes (first season). Didn't really enjoy, don't really think it is a bad show. How long till it clicks?

I liked it from the start, but Episode 7 was the one that got me thinking that this was something pretty special. That said, I thought the end of episode 3 should at least have left you curious about where everything's going!

Oct 25, 2017
Mindy gets the consequential points for helping people, but not the negatives for whatever exact way they were helped.

Mindys plan apparently would have corrected enough of the worlds brokenness to make up for a lot of stuff. Perhaps her plan would have fixed enough of the systems that create so many knock-on effects and unintended consequences.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Very down with the anti capitalism implications. Will be curious to see if they lean into that or if they go with the broader "the dang world just got too complicated"

The thing about Doug Forcett doesn't bother me. Unless I'm forgetting something, he's not explicitly doing it for the reward of the afterlife, he's doing it because it's the way he thinks the universe is supposed to work. By that metric, nobody who
follows any religion would make it into their respective afterlife.

Biggest plot hole for me right now is Mindy St Clair.
I feel like they have to go with the broader heading. 600 years ago meant the world was still pretty firmly pre-capitalist, as it's mostly understood. The bigger problem being that people are too interconnected to judge any given individual by all their downstream effects is more in keeping with how it was presented, too.

Sai

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
Is there a gif yet of Tahani holding the 'til death do us part' certificate with 'cancelled' stamped on it yet???

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
So if nobody has gotten into the Good Place in 500 years, was Michael lying in Season 1 when he said every President except Lincoln was in the Bad Place?

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
Yeah and Lincoln's motivation for fighting the Civil War might be a tad dubious under Good Place rules, given he was doing it to preserve the Union first and foremost, with emancipation a secondary concern.

I think it works best if you just ignore it and assume Michael was lying to Eleanor.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
That shouldn't matter. It's still his intent to do good for the sake of a reward. That's why none of Tahani's accomplishments mattered. She was doing it FOR something, not because it was the right thing to do.

I did find it pretty clever the point system's flaw is because it's nearly impossible to not benefit from someone's misery past a certain cap in history. Kinda lends to how bad we are today at punishing corporations for underhanded tactics and poor conditions for workers because it'd be inconvenient but still perceive ourselves as good people.

This would be akin to "there's no such thing as a selfless good deed, because it makes you feel good so it's selfish"

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like early on it can be explained away as a part of his lies, but also it seems he was being lied to

Pretty much. Nothing said by Michael in season 1 should be taken as empirically true, since half the point of his explanations was to gaslight the gang.

But it's likely that his own knowledge of the point system and internal Good Place/Bad Place politics is also fundamentally flawed.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This would be akin to "there's no such thing as a selfless good deed, because it makes you feel good so it's selfish"

No, it's more akin to "I'm doing the right thing because I'm legally required to." As far as Doug is concerned, he doesn't have a choice. Once he gets into the good place, his incentive to do good is gone.

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no
Yeah and Lincoln's motivation for fighting the Civil War might be a tad dubious under Good Place rules, given he was doing it to preserve the Union first and foremost, with emancipation a secondary concern.

I think it works best if you just ignore it and assume Michael was lying to Eleanor.

Eh... The 2nd Season made an effort to show that nothing Michael said about how the afterlife works was a lie, though. There was no reason to lie about Lincoln getting in, especially since he was the sole example of a Good Place inductee until this season.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
Eh... The 2nd Season made an effort to show that nothing Michael said about how the afterlife works was a lie, though. There was no reason to lie about Lincoln getting in, especially since he was the sole example of a Good Place inductee until this season.

Having had a think on it, Michael might actually think Lincoln did indeed go to the Good Place, since he had no clue no one had gotten in for 500 years. The Bad Place may be lying to its own people in order to stop them questioning how the system benefits them.

May 10, 2018
Jason is definitely my least favorite of the group. Not saying he has to become a genius overtime or anything but the whole "being an idiot just to be an idiot" thing got old fast.

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no
Having had a think on it, Michael might actually think Lincoln did indeed go to the Good Place, since he had no clue no one had gotten in for 500 years. The Bad Place may be lying to its own people in order to stop them questioning how the system benefits them.

Michael probably guessed about Lincoln, but I don't see why the Bad Place would have any reason to hide that, or at least for any moral reasons. Maybe just to keep it quiet so the Good Place never catches on, but definitely not for moral reasons. Michael's defection seems like a first for them.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
Yeah maybe they legitimately don't know and just guess. Maybe they don't want to alert the Good Place (even though you'd think they catch on after half a millenia).

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
Jason is definitely my least favorite of the group. Not saying he has to become a genius overtime or anything but the whole "being an idiot just to be an idiot" thing got old fast.

As much as I love this show, i have to agree with you. I feel like at one point Jason's stupidity almost translated into a form of direct emotional honesty. Where on some level the rest of the cast was hiding their personalities behind some pretense or defense mechanism, Jason kind of knew exactly what he wanted and what he was. This made him a good foil, but as with most shows character traits get exaggerated and now he is mostly just a joke.

I do wish they would just let him stay together with Janet at this point. It would actually be fun to see what their relationship would look like after all this time.

platypotamus

Oct 25, 2017
I think you all trust the good place a little too thoroughly. I think the characters in the show do too though. I await the heel turn of the actual good place