• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
44402521_10161539546975112_4073970814641242112_n.jpg

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Ripped Chidi is the biggest reveal on this show since the season 1 final.

I didn't see them coming.

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no

Huh. I didn't even realize this. That's a nice callback!

It's probably more the actor is buff than the character was in mind

Dear white people also had a black nerdy character that is timid like Chidi but then he goes shirtless and is super buff

They explained away that he does karate as a kid that made think that the actor was buff and it's not something the creators had in mind

That's my guess. Chidi was just written as a moral philosopher, & there's nothing about his personality that suggests he works out much until that joke earlier this season. Now that the show's 3 seasons in & they're well aware that Harper is ripped, that bit about him working out may have been just like the karate nerd there, too.

Always thought it was obvious Chidi was jacked.

giphy.gif
200.gif
giphy.gif

We always knew he was slim, but nothing about these image really show you how toned he is.

Coldman

Oct 25, 2017
That was my favourite episode in a while. Chidi losing his mind was incredible, just a shame we didn't have Simone there to react to it too.

also god damn get Chidi a bra

Kasai

Jan 24, 2018
I loved this part. It showed Eleanor picking up Chidi from his low point, just as he helped her through hers.

It was a nice bookend.

I also really liked the explanation of having their motivations corrupted simply by learning that both Places exist.

I dont know. There is a lot to unpack from this episode, since it was so joke dense.

sabrina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
newport beach, CA
Eleanor's rant about America was pretty cutting, too. No lies detected.

In America, everyone does whatever they want, society did break down, it's terrible, and it's great! You only look out for number one, scream at whoever disagrees with you, there are no bees because they all died, and if you need surgery you just beg for money on the internet.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
I also really liked the explanation of having their motivations corrupted simply by learning that both Places exist.

Strictly speaking, doesn't that mean that you're guaranteed to go to the Bad Place just for believing in religion?

Buried in Discworld there's the notion that you'll basically get whatever afterlife you believe you deserve (which leads to the punchline "Which is why you should shoot missionaries on sight"); I think perhaps the same could be construed as being the case here.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strictly speaking, doesn't that mean that you're guaranteed to go to the Bad Place just for believing in religion?

I think the implication is that because the four have learned the legitimate truth about the Good and Bad Place given to them by actual representatives of those places, as opposed to just a religious idea or interpretation created by humans, that's what's disqualifying them.

Eulala

Aug 8, 2018
Thank God Chidi went shirtless.

I've been trying to confirm how ripped the actor is, but his social media has been so low-key. And WHAT A CONFIRMATION.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
It's probably more the actor is buff than the character was in mind

Dear white people also had a black nerdy character that is timid like Chidi but then he goes shirtless and is super buff

They explained away that he does karate as a kid that made think that the actor was buff and it's not something the creators had in mind

Another recent example of an actor's body not fitting the character would the the nerdy main character in Santa Clarita Diet. He's supposed to be a nerd that doesn't do sports nor exercise, gets taunted by his step dad in Season one, and suddenly you see that he has a six pack when he takes off his shirt.

It's probably because actors need to look better and have better bodies these days, regardless of their role. Especially if it's a tv series and not a movie where they might method act and change their bodies to fit the role.

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Extended episodes are on the NBC app. You typically need a cable login to use it. I think S1 and S2 eps are up but I don't know about S3.

W-00

Oct 27, 2017
How are they going to release a longer version? Like on the DVD set?
If you have a cable service that includes free NBC On-Demand it will probably show up there eventually. Most of the episodes of the first two seasons have had extended episodes that showed up there.

Luigi87

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
You put the Peeps in the chili pot and eat 'em all up~

This episode was great. The whole season has been thus far, but dang I love this show.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017

tryagainlater

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like Chidi's Ned Flanders body was established or maybe I've just been imagining him topless this whole time.

Kasai

Jan 24, 2018
When Chidi called his students "my little chili babies", I lost it.

This episode is just so good. Such an amazing return to form.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
I think the implication is that because the four have learned the legitimate truth about the Good and Bad Place given to them by actual representatives of those places, as opposed to just a religious idea or interpretation created by humans, that's what's disqualifying them.

Sure, but if you truly believe, what's the difference?