• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ShaggsMagoo

Oct 28, 2017
They need to find a way to bring Real Eleanor back. Vicki would work too I guess, but I miss Real Eleanor.

Mar 9, 2018
I like the season so far but it's lacking something.

I think they are too goofy given that they are in the "real world". Some of the goofiness before felt like it "matched" the goofiness of the universe.

Speaking of which, I also miss some of the weirder things that were possible in the "good place" like the huge shrimp.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
I'm very curious if Chidi's behaviour when tired was actually a signifier of some other form of manipulation going on - particularly his slight confusion on arriving at Eleanor's being not quite sure how he got there, and not quite knowing where to go 'out' from the study room.

Sure, on the one hand, it absolutely could just be representing exhaustion. But on another... we didn't see how he got there, it was behind a cut. We didn't see him exit the study room. Okay, we shouldn't need to... but could it be lampshading something else.

So here's the craziest theory:
Is he seeing the cuts, the mechanics of TV? Is the character developing some kind of awareness that he's in a sitcom? And what the hell could that actually represent?

(Extremely likely to be utterly bullshit, but it's an idea that's stuck with me)

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm very curious if Chidi's behaviour when tired was actually a signifier of some other form of manipulation going on - particularly his slight confusion on arriving at Eleanor's being not quite sure how he got there, and not quite knowing where to go 'out' from the study room.
When he says he doesn't know how he got there and why he has a socket wrench......that seemed like a pretty big tipoff that something is going on. I just assumed it was some kind of other outside manipulation or time travel that will have to be explained later on.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
When he says he doesn't know how he got there and why he has a socket wrench......that seemed like a pretty big tipoff that something is going on. I just assumed it was some kind of other outside manipulation or time travel that will have to be explained later on.

Oh, I meant to add that the other thing that struck me: Eleanor's apartment having a big picture of a koala on the wall. I can't figure out if it's too on-the-nose or just how we're expected to accept this universe working.

In non-wackadoodle theories territory, I *really* liked how part of Trevor's plan was to get Tahani and Jason drunk and sleeping together, and Jason spoiling the plan simply by being a good friend. That's another way the group's inherent dynamics were rebelling against the influence of The Bad Place.

They need to find a way to bring Real Eleanor back. Vicki would work too I guess, but I miss Real Eleanor.
On the subject of Vicki... I can't help but look at Simone and wonder. They don't necessarily need to have the same body, after all, and she was working on her Australian accent...

OP
OP
StarCreator

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017

Sure, on the one hand, it absolutely could just be representing exhaustion. But on another... we didn't see how he got there, it was behind a cut. We didn't see him exit the study room. Okay, we shouldn't need to... but could it be lampshading something else.

Is he seeing the cuts, the mechanics of TV? Is the character developing some kind of awareness that he's in a sitcom? And what the hell could that actually represent?

(Extremely likely to be utterly bullshit, but it's an idea that's stuck with me)
An in universe explanation was given - unless I misheard, I think Simone had taken the liberty of calling a car for him in advance - but it doesn't explain the socket wrench, no.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017

I mean... the Judge has been said to be television-obsessed. Maybe she's fucking with things.

Heynongman!

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, I meant to add that the other thing that struck me: Eleanor's apartment having a big picture of a koala on the wall. I can't figure out if it's too on-the-nose or just how we're expected to accept this universe working.
The magazine she was reading had an ad for a ridiculous luxury boomerang on the back. It's definitely over the top lol

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
So it's probably open spoilers in here so I'm blindposting, but now that season 2's on Canadian Netflix I started it and halfway through the first season I'm really enjoying it. It's charming, got a fantastic visual design, and there's something a little sinister about the whole setup that I'm into and hope gets expanded upon.

But.

If there's one weak link, it's Kristen Bell. I just don't think her face is capable of making her look like the asshole the character is. She's just too genuine. Someone like Kaitlin Olson or Kristen Wiig feel like they would have been a better fit for playing a scumbag in life. Does she improve at all, or does the character at least get away from being an unrepentant forkhead?

OP
OP
StarCreator

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
If there's one weak link, it's Kristen Bell. I just don't think her face is capable of making her look like the asshole the character is. She's just too genuine. Someone like Kaitlin Olson or Kristen Wiig feel like they would have been a better fit for playing a scumbag in life. Does she improve at all, or does the character at least get away from being an unrepentant forkhead?
I can't say I've had the same issue. There isn't supposed to be a correlation between physical looks and behavior in reality either.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
I can't say I've had the same issue. There isn't supposed to be a correlation between physical looks and behavior in reality either.
I don't really mean just her features. I am just finding her to not quite have the acting chops for it. It comes off as more like slightly flippant than the uncaring ass she was in life. Take, for example, Ann Dowd, who is the sweetest woman in the world

is absolutely masterful and in her more prominent appearances the last few years has played absolute monsters. She completely nailed it.

That all said I'm a few episodes further in and Eleanor is now beginning to act at least somewhat selflessly so I answered my own question.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
God, the prop department on this programme is *ridiculous*.

AE4mLlI.png

VyFhUqb.png

And now you're wondering: It was mentioned, it was in the menu, but *what* would the Fourth of July *look* like?

64gccyo.png

(All from Kristen's instagram feed)

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
I forgot what episode of the podcast it was in, but i loved they got nick offerman back to record a commercial for the swanson safe company

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

AE4mLlI.png

VyFhUqb.png

And now you're wondering: It was mentioned, it was in the menu, but *what* would the Fourth of July *look* like?

64gccyo.png

Good lord, look at all this. This show really is something else.

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
I know I am extremely lttp on this but just watched the first season on netflix and my god that was a good twist!! O_O

Treestump

Mar 28, 2018

AE4mLlI.png

VyFhUqb.png

64gccyo.png

It's the things like this that just help make a show, ya know. Love this.

brinstar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, are there more than 1? I'm only recognizing the Paunch Burger.
That's the only one there, but there's also magazine ads that can be seen in other episodes by Dennis Feinstein and Jean-Ralphio and Ron Swanson's family seems to have designed the safe that Jason died in lol.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
The best part is that many of us saw it coming after the first episode, but the show did a remarkable job convincing us otherwise.

One of the first things that crossed my mind me, after only having read the premise, is that it struck me as an inverse Old Harry's Game, a rather good BBC radio sitcom set in hell. OHG has a similar - if somewhat broader - approach to exploring morality, with the intensely moral character often trying to prove to Satan the good that people are capable of.

Because I had that framework in mind, the idea of possible twists and subversion of the apparent premise had already crossed my mind, but the narrative of the season did an excellent job of diverting me from it.

Holmes

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Apparently the next episode leaked early on iflix. I have a friend in Pakistan who's seen the episode. So jealous.

I need my #TahaniTime.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
Welp, caught up on season 2. Forking love it. The ups and downs and rapid shifts of status quo completely solved the earlier character issues I was having. Now I gotta see how to watch the first few season 3 episodes in Canada. Hopefully it's on demand somewhere.

For shirts and gigs I was looking at imdb to see what some of the less famous actors had done, and fun fact that I hope I'm not repeating in case anyone else noticed: https://www.imdb.com/name/nm2860379/?ref_=tt_cl_t2
William Jackson Harper, AKA, Chidi Anagonye. Two of the first three things he's most famously credited as have this as poster art:
MV5BMTUzODA4Nzk0OF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNzE1MDIwMDI@._V1_UX148_CR0,0,148,216_AL_.jpg
MV5BMTcwMjIyMTc2Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwOTQyMzc5Mw@@._V1_UX148_CR0,0,148,216_AL_.jpg

The middle of the three is The Good Place, and that's the exact same post Chidi and Eleanor were in when she confessed her love for him in The Middle Place during one of the reboots.

Just thought it was weird. Anyway, I'll catch up on season 3 and suffer along with the rest of you week to week soon!

Edit: Holy shirt there's a TGP podcast and Marc Evan Jackson hosts it. That's gonna be some sweet AC Odyssey background audio.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Did the video skip out or did the judge just "The World" Adam Scott out of existence?

Edit: Okay the video did skip. Honestly it would've been even funnier if the skip was intentional.

Geist

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Blake Beartles was amazing, I'm glad everyone recognized it as the highlight of the episode.

Poor Larry Hemsworth.

HammerFace

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad the ending happened the way it did. Michael's actions were starting to get on my nerves. Also Janet not acting like a complete robot anymore is getting to me a bit as well.

Nelo Ice

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
That episode was amazing. Michael could use Blake Beartles. And that fucking cliffhanger.

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
The show continues to surprise and switch up the format in glorious ways.

Tahani explaining Heir bnb was great.

Tahani: Simple get-together, come as you are

Brainy Bunch walks into a party with everyone in formal wear.

Chidi: I guess they came as they were?

Larry Hemsworth was great, with his almost 8 pack and being a pediatric surgeon.

Also loved Tahani not realizing 18K was a large sum of money to win and telling Eleanor "Sorry, next time"