• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
I constantly find myself appreciating the decisions made by the writing team.

For example, most recent episode, Michael didn't want Eleanor to see how mean he used to be. Eleanor was just like "Don't worry about it" instead of doing what a normal show might do and create unneccessary drama.

And all the time jumps. The show just moves so fast. I really love it.

The one I really liked was in S1, when the show looked like it was setting up a direct feud between Tahani and Eleanor competing for the same man, and then instead they say "No, we're not going to do this", have a bonding session where they both enjoy things the other likes, ending up with them both being amused and snarky at Jason's wedding.

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
These last few episodes with Eleanor's mom and everything in the library/burger place (as well as Tahani's stuff) just got to me :c

I'm not even watching it for the comedy but for the characters at this point.

Eleanor and Chidi are a boring relationship but still very cute together

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
Poor Jason. Stuffed like Bortles in the 2018 NFL season.

EDIT: And yeah, just when you thought Janet couldn't be any more awesome, this happened.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That Lost-esque opening was great lol

Also Chuck! And badass Janet! And wow that ending

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
Like Elanor, I also thought Janet was hot, lol. :D

Also, wow, does this show keep moving us along. So good. With most shows, it'd be like season 7 before we got here.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Janet made this episode.

Oh and that ending that was so anti-climatic in the best climatic way possible.

W-00

Oct 27, 2017
FINALLY! The Earth arc is OVER!!!

There were a few good episodes in there (this episode and the previous one among them), but that arc went on for way too long.

Nelo Ice

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
No kidding Eleanor. Janet was hot this episode. And god damn that ending!.

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
She's just awesome lol
For sure. To me, she's been the breakout role. She's upstaged Danson and Bell quite a few times, and they were the much bigger names in the cast.

I know they went to the joke a lot, but it used to slay me when she'd chime in with a "Again, reminder: I'm not a woman." And her and Jason trying to figure out sex was too funny.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
For sure. To me, she's been the breakout role. She's upstaged Danson and Bell quite a few times, and they were the much bigger names in the cast.

I know they went to the joke a lot, but it used to slay me when she'd chime in with a "Again, reminder: I'm not a woman." And her and Jason trying to figure out sex was too funny.

Pretty much all of her gags landed for me, especially the "I'm not a woman" one, or when she'd casually remind them that she does in fact know everything

And her and Jason trying to figure out sex was too funny.

Came full circle with that boyfriend she made for herself too

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
Pretty much all of her gags landed for me, especially the "I'm not a woman" one, or when she'd casually remind them that she does in fact know everything

Came full circle with that boyfriend she made for herself too
That's a good point. I can't think of anything with her that I didn't actually like.

Oh man, I forgot about the sex stuff with the boyfriend she made. <3 Janet.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
The one I really liked was in S1, when the show looked like it was setting up a direct feud between Tahani and Eleanor competing for the same man, and then instead they say "No, we're not going to do this", have a bonding session where they both enjoy things the other likes, ending up with them both being amused and snarky at Jason's wedding.

Best part was how Chidi had 3 women confess to him then later on reject him within the same day.

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
Janet kicking ass like that was unexpected, but great to see. I also like the disappointment she has when Michael tries to improvise.

Michael McKean is a really good actor, but seeing him as Doug all I could think was that no way does Chuck deserve to get into the Good Place. Not with the way he treated Jimmy.

The point system is definitely flawed. I remember listening to Binge Mode with Mallory/Jason where they recapped the first couple seasons and brought up that point a lot.

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
my takeaway from the entire episode is that eleanor has this uncanny ability to point out someone looks hot the exact moment I think the same thing

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Janet remains best character, wow *_*

Love that whatsherdemonface immediately got punched out by Eleanor in her one moment during the fight.

(That LOST opening ahahaha!)

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
So, what's the secret about the point system?

- We already know it's screwed and only the very best get in
- We already know if you aware of the point system you can't go to the good place, hence why Doug was screwed (Why didn't Michael catch on it?)

I've seen the "The Good Place doesn't exist" theory floating around but I don't buy it - I don't think it really fits with everything we have seen and it would be too predictable.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2017

- We already know if you aware of the point system you can't go the good place, hence why Doug was screwed (Why didn't Michael catch on it?)

I've seen the "The Good Place doesn't exist" theory floating around but I don't buy it - I don't think it really fits with everything we have seen and it would be too predictable.
Well Doug didn't really "know" in the way the main cast do, but it's an open question as to whether his motivations undoes the value of his good deeds in the same way Tahani's did. In addition to the "happiness pump" they overtly mentioned, the show also used Doug to take on Pascal's wager: Doug states that he can't risk losing points when the bad outcome is so immense. If it is the case that reasoning one's way into good behaviour is automatic grounds for denial of entry into the good place (Michael did say a lot of philosophers were in the bad place) then Michael should have a good case for reforming the system.

Incidentally, I can see the writers using that arc to advocate for social critique on two levels: the obvious "reform the broken system" metaphor and the argument that the standards for entry into the good place would largely limit it to people who were a combination of fortunate in their background/opportunities and had to some extent an uncritical worldview. Then again with how this show goes it's just as likely (ie not very) that Michael will never be able to present his argument and they end up setting up their own good and bad place system in Janet's void to try to test alternatives.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I didn't know who was cast as Doug before the episode but as soon as it showed his body I was hoping it was Michael McKean and was so happy when they showed his face.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I tried to continue yesterday, but it turns out I finished watching all episodes till the end. And now the waiting game for new episodes begin.

fieldafar

Jan 23, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
So Chuck McGill didn't die, he just faked his death to move to Canada, so he could try his best to get in the Good Place...

Great episode, especially that Janet fight scene. I don't blame you, Eleanor. Loved the LOST homage as well.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Don't know if posted, but I came across this on Twitter, seems behind the scenes there's not much of a difference!

Nov 1, 2017

- We already know if you aware of the point system you can't go to the good place, hence why Doug was screwed (Why didn't Michael catch on it?)

Doug doesn't "know" about The Good Place's point system per se, it's just that his personal belief system almost matches up completely with the way it actually works. Since he has no actual confirmation of The Good Place, he's basing everything off of faith, which I think would make his actions count. Being told exactly how it works by somebody who knows would be an entirely different situation.

My guess is that maybe the demons have skewed the point system somehow so that they get more souls to torture.

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018

They would have to retcon the show for the Good Place to not be real. When we were watching Michael with the other architects, they mentioned that they had to steal Good Janet from the Good Place. That wasn't something the humans overheard, so it wasn't a lie presented to them.

At the very least, if there's no Good Place, that knowledge would have to be a bit higher up the chain than Michael, and given everything else, that just doesn't seem to be the case.

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
They would have to retcon the show for the Good Place to not be real. When we were watching Michael with the other architects, they mentioned that they had to steal Good Janet from the Good Place. That wasn't something the humans overheard, so it wasn't a lie presented to them.

At the very least, if there's no Good Place, that knowledge would have to be a bit higher up the chain than Michael, and given everything else, that just doesn't seem to be the case.
If that's the angle they're taking I'm guessing its that there's like...three people total in the Good Place

W-00

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, that wouldn't fit at all. If there were no Good Place, then why would there be good Janets? How could the Judge have even considered letting them in? What about the Good Place representative in Mindy's video? There has to be an actual Good Place or the show just doesn't make sense.

It has to be something about how the points system is rigged. Like the Bad Place managed to subvert the Accountant or the reason that the system is so lopsided is that the folks from the Good Place are just so gentle that they let the Bad Place demons walk all over them when it comes to determining who goes where.

SuperPac

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA

Well, he was posing as a reporter in front of Doug. Technically if time is Jeremy Bearimy Michael could also not know that Doug is headed for the bad place. Did someone confirm to Doug that his guess was correct, therefore disqualifying him from the good place?