• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
If that's the angle they're taking I'm guessing its that there's like...three people total in the Good Place
Yeah, I'm not really sure where they are going with this angle, but I'm interested to see. I'm sure it's something like the accountant, or a demon, or something has changed the way points work. Or heck, maybe they are going to say the system has been broken all along; that could be a reason why none of the religions have ever gotten it right.

I'd bet on the former, though, since apparently Doug did get it right back in the 70s.

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I'm not really sure where they are going with this angle, but I'm interested to see. I'm sure it's something like the accountant, or a demon, or something has changed the way points work. Or heck, maybe they are going to say the system has been broken all along; that could be a reason why none of the religions have ever gotten it right.

I'd bet on the former, though, since apparently Doug did get it right back in the 70s.
Doug just guessed how the system worked, this week was about showing that knowing that doesn't even get you into the Good Place and that trying to basically ruins his life. I'm pretty sure what Schur is building to is the idea that the entire good place/bad place point system has always been horrible and unethical

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They would have to retcon the show for the Good Place to not be real. When we were watching Michael with the other architects, they mentioned that they had to steal Good Janet from the Good Place. That wasn't something the humans overheard, so it wasn't a lie presented to them.

At the very least, if there's no Good Place, that knowledge would have to be a bit higher up the chain than Michael, and given everything else, that just doesn't seem to be the case.
It can exist but just be empty.

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
Doug just guessed how the system worked, this week was about showing that knowing that doesn't even get you into the Good Place and that trying to basically ruins his life. I'm pretty sure what Schur is building to is the idea that the entire good place/bad place point system has always been horrible and unethical
I can see that. If it ends up being that the system was always wrong, and they are going to try to fix/break it, that will be very interesting for sure, and a bigger story than I thought they were telling.

Since they are already getting ready to head to the Accountant, I wonder where the show would go after that. Of course, that's one thing I've loved about this show ever since Elanor got the note under her door.

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
So, what's the secret about the point system?

- We already know it's screwed and only the very best get in
- We already know if you aware of the point system you can't go to the good place, hence why Doug was screwed (Why didn't Michael catch on it?)

I've seen the "The Good Place doesn't exist" theory floating around but I don't buy it - I don't think it really fits with everything we have seen and it would be too predictable.
Doug wasn't screwed b/c he only guessed the point system he didn't know. Micheal does what he always does and ruins things for Doug

Opto

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It could be that the architecture of the Good Place is there including "angels" but that the point system is so rigged that literally no one has gotten there. Tahani arguably did the most good of the four but her reason for being the Bad Place was because there was selfish intent despite the philanthropic outcomes. Since doing good deeds always has some sort of self-gratifying effects, no one can get there

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
No, Doug was screwed anyway because he did everything with the intention of getting into The Good Place. That renders it hollow, like Tahani.

SuperPac

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
It could be that the architecture of the Good Place is there including "angels" but that the point system is so rigged that literally no one has gotten there. Tahani arguably did the most good of the four but her reason for being the Bad Place was because there was selfish intent despite the philanthropic outcomes. Since doing good deeds always has some sort of self-gratifying effects, no one can get there

Could be. Have they ever made reference to any inhabitants of the real good place in dialogue? I know we'd seen a (fake?) leaderboard in S1.

Hecht

Too damn tired
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
No, Doug was screwed anyway because he did everything with the intention of getting into The Good Place. That renders it hollow, like Tahani.
That's possible, but as mentioned above, he doesn't actually "know" how the system works, his belief just happens to coincidentally align with it. He just follows a very strict form of utilitarianism - i.e. perform actions that increase the total happiness of the majority, rather than just one person (such as yourself).

I think the main point of it all was more "if the only way to get into The Good Place is to reduce yourself to a miserable, shell of a human being who is acting out of pure utilitarianism, thereby ruining your earthly life, why is that system so fucked up?"

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I think that the fact that Mindy *almost* made it does sort of discredit the idea that it's impossible. She was for real selfish her whole life and got enough credit from inspiring a really good charity that she got an entire new place for herself, if the standards were *that* high she'd have still ended up in the Bad Place.

But now that I type that, maybe the only reason Mindy's points counted as much as they did is because she wasn't alive to enjoy helping people. Maybe personal upside from good deeds is *so* toxic to the current scoring system that even second-hand points while dead count for more.

Ooof

Kasai

Jan 24, 2018
That was amazing.

I loved how Vicki was there for like half the episode, and she didn't have any lines. Rhe fighting was incredible, and the snail first aid with Janet was terrific.

I hope next weeks episode can top this, especially with that last second snap.

Hecht

Too damn tired
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
That was amazing.

I loved how Vicki was there for like half the episode, and she didn't have any lines. Rhe fighting was incredible, and the snail first aid with Janet was terrific.

I hope next weeks episode can top this, especially with that last second snap.
There were a lot of great moments, but Eleanor punching Vicky and then returning to her monologue without skipping a beat was hilarious

Infi

Oct 27, 2017
I think that the fact that Mindy *almost* made it does sort of discredit the idea that it's impossible. She was for real selfish her whole life and got enough credit from inspiring a really good charity that she got an entire new place for herself, if the standards were *that* high she'd have still ended up in the Bad Place.

But now that I type that, maybe the only reason Mindy's points counted as much as they did is because she wasn't alive to enjoy helping people. Maybe personal upside from good deeds is *so* toxic to the current scoring system that even second-hand points while dead count for more.

Ooof
I'm thinking that the demons did something to the accountants or the system after what happened with Mindy so now everyone goes to the bad place.

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
when Doug dies he's going to get his own medium place

i'm leaning towards this is all a Bad Place simulation to ruin only Micheal for his real failure some undetermined time before the show began. So the last season of the show would be Micheal's real first attempt at his fake God Place plan with the 4

W-00

Oct 27, 2017

Could be. Have they ever made reference to any inhabitants of the real good place in dialogue? I know we'd seen a (fake?) leaderboard in S1.

There's at least one person in the Good Place: Abraham Lincoln. In season one Michael said that every president except Lincoln is in the Bad Place, and since Mindy is the only one with a Medium Place, process of elimination says Lincoln had to make it into the Good Place. Unless they're going to throw a new place at us.

Opto

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Ooof
Yeah plus her plan was part of a cocaine bender and not her sober self, questioning if your more base layers of consciousness are important than a mind that's thinking about and reflecting on their actions.

SuperPac

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
There's at least one person in the Good Place: Abraham Lincoln. In season one Michael said that every president except Lincoln is in the Bad Place, and since Mindy is the only one with a Medium Place, process of elimination says Lincoln had to make it into the Good Place. Unless they're going to throw a new place at us.

I dunno that I'd trust anything Michael said to the humans pre-reveal in S1 to be true - was Janet next to him when he said that? If I remember correctly he said that as he was walking Eleanor around the neighborhood and not when Janet was present (where she might've corrected him if it was a lie).

W-00

Oct 27, 2017
"Let's fight!"

Well I certainly did not see that coming!
Why not? It wasn't the first time Janet has kicked demon ass.

I didn't see it coming either, but that's because I thought they were going with the tired "Bad guy easily overpowers good guys who should be able to fight back" trope. Right up until Janet said that, I was thinking, "Come on, fight back!" And then I was pleasantly surprised.

I dunno that I'd trust anything Michael said to the humans pre-reveal in S1 to be true - was Janet next to him when he said that? If I remember correctly he said that as he was walking Eleanor around the neighborhood and not when Janet was present (where she might've corrected him if it was a lie).
Most of what Michael told the humans in season 1 about how the afterlife worked was true, though. He explained in season 2 that it was easier to make lies convincing if there was truth mixed in.

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
Love this show, hate Jason. Like they wrote a one-note character for a few laughs and it's three seasons in and we're stuck with him.

Kasai

Jan 24, 2018
My question is this.

We know her powers come back just by going in the door. Does this mean shes been updated with what has happened in the world since she left the Judges office?

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto

CypherSignal

Oct 25, 2017
For a comedy, the fight scenes were pretty well done.
I seldom listen to the official podcast, but I'm definitely inclined to give this week's a listen just to talk about how much was Darcy and how much was a stuntperson, etc. I was surprised, most of all, how often they didn't try and mask Janet's face; i.e. that Darcy was doing a lot of the moves.

Last edited:

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If you replace happiness with efficiency, the happiness pump description is a great descriptor for hardcore mmorpg players.

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no
Gonna echo everything about Janet's fighting. I did not see it coming, but that was cool!

Love this show, hate Jason. Like they wrote a one-note character for a few laughs and it's three seasons in and we're stuck with him.

I don't hate Jason; he's sweet & hilarious. But I agree, he does need some development, & possibly to be a bit more grounded.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Doug wasn't screwed b/c he only guessed the point system he didn't know. Micheal does what he always does and ruins things for Doug

It's not the knowledge of the good place that invalidates your points, it's how knowledge of the good place influences your decisions. Doug is only doing what he's doing because he thinks he's getting rewarded at the end of it all and THAT'S why he's screwed. If Doug had decided that good deeds meant that you got a free sandwich after you died and that was his motivation he'd still be screwed.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Houston
It's not the knowledge of the good place that invalidates your points, it's how knowledge of the good place influences your decisions. Doug is only doing what he's doing because he thinks he's getting rewarded at the end of it all and THAT'S why he's screwed.
But he doesn't know for a fact his points will get him in from all the negative things he did before mushrooms. That's why he still worries even after 40 years of doing it. If he was confident then it would be invalid but now he still has doubt. The Soul Squad know for certain in all ways they can't get there so they aren't the same

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
But he doesn't know for a fact his points will get him in from all the negative things he did before mushrooms. That's why he still worries even after 40 years of doing it. If he was confident then it would be invalid but now he still has doubt. The Soul Squad know for certain in all ways they can't get there so they aren't the same

He actually does. Remember that he has a book that he seems to note his actions in. My guess is that he's keeping track of the points, but is too paranoid to risk coming in slightly above the line. Either way it doesn't matter because he's not doing what he does for the sake of being good, which is the problem. Everything he does for the sake of the point system is null, because as much as he's figured out what deeds are good and what deeds are bad, he hasn't figured out WHY

If Doug had been that way beforehand then he'd be fine because the knowledge of the good place didn't impact his inherent behavior. Similarly, like Michael said, the point system doesn't deal well with the idea of redemption. It functions on an assumption that humans must be near perfect and doesn't do enough to take into account flaws.

The thing about perfection is it's unknowable. It's impossible but it's also right in front of us all the time. They didn't know that because the judge didn't when the system was built.

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
He's only 92% (Micheal's number) right so he's just as wrong as everyone else in the world. Since he's only partially right and even Micheal doesn't know the thing that could keep him out is he has to be happy as well.

Terraj_RSL

Feb 8, 2018
He reminds me a lot more of Philip J Fry than Peter Griffin, because Jason is good and not terrible
He's the nicest person in the group
[This is a reply to both quotes]
I didn't mean Jason is like Peter Griffin personality wise, I like Jason as a character, he's endearingly naive, his "make your own rules" Pool game was great.

My problem is when the writers use Jason as a "stupidity trope", making him say/do unrealistically "dumb" things for a cheap laugh.

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
I didn't mean Jason is like Peter Griffin personality wise, I like Jason as a character, he's endearingly naive, his "make your own rules" Pool game was great.

My problem is when the writers use Jason as a "stupidity trope", making him say/do unrealistically "dumb" things for a cheap laugh.
Donkey Doug and Florida raised him, he's actually smart in comparison

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
I'm thinking that Jason is actually correct. Just destroy all the records of the point system!

Enzom21

Oct 25, 2017
So the running theory is the demons somehow gerrymandered the points system so they would always win? So the bad place is run by a bunch of republicans... makes sense.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
I don't know if you treat the written intros and outros of the podcast as canon, but if you do, Jimi Hendrix and Mozart are both in The Good Place and have their own music podcast.

So that's three?

Hasemo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Amazing episode, I was laughing through most of the fight scene, just because it was so out of left field.

platypotamus

Oct 25, 2017

I know! I mean 2 factories I understand, but 3?!?!

I'm sorry, if gags like that are wrong. I don't wanna be right

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Clearly the reason Doug's screwed is that Michael and Janet met him and caused him to murder that snail, setting him down a path that will unbalance his point total.

life is simply unfair don't you think

BarrBarr

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone else think that the Janet that came out of the portal isn't the same one that went in? She was oddly quiet when she came out, and I swear that Shaun was about to out her right before Janet kicked him through that portal.