• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

lacer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
'Twas me actually, and clearly the server going down an hour or two ago was my fault as I combed through the thread adding them.

I don't think the reader view works quite like I intended, but it's a good way to quick jump to discussion that was happening around the airing of a particular episode.
cool, purdy header image too. great work

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
The Good Place is back tonight for one episode before the Winter break. This is the 10th episode of the 13 episode season.

Janet(s)

While Eleanor and the gang contend with an intense out-of-body experience, Michael hatches a plan with Janet's help.

The show also received Golden Globe nominations as "Best Television Series – Musical or Comedy" and for Kristin Bell ("Best Performance by an Actress in a Television Series – Musical or Comedy ") this morning.

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
The last we saw of them was being teleported into Janet's void, killing them. The void is also part of the afterlife, so they need either a hiding place or a disguise to leave the void so that made me think maybe they'll be disguised as Janets? The audience could still see the actual actors but within the show they'd be Janets, this is obviously not a longterm solution but it could be used to get to the accountant or wherever they plan to go next.

lacer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
they had the patience to sit on that burner for a whole year and managed to get popped in less than 15 minutes, which is honestly kind of impressive, but didn't even deliver anything juicy! cmon ya'll gotta do better with these, at least aim to entertain

lacer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
this is the most bonkers episode of TV i've seen since the reboot episode

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
That was a perfect cliffhanger for our month long wait for the next episode. Only 3 episodes left this season.

StarCreator I love your use of threadmarks.

Link

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Can we just give D'Arcy Carden the Emmy for that episode? Such spot on impressions of everybody. Plus Neutral Janet. So good.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
JHIT6UV.gif

Whoever made this decision deserves to go to the Good Place!

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Onion A|V Club review
A|V Club: The Good Place's latest gambit was over a year in the making
Schur said he instructed Carden to prepare for the episode—in which the show's four human protagonists hide in Janet's void, thus rendering them into Janets themselves—in March, four months before the episode actually filmed. The cast started rehearsing the episode earlier than they would have for one with a more conventional script, and those rehearsals and blocking were filmed, so Carden could watch ("1 million times," she says) how the actors moved and spoke—and so the movements could later be mapped for special effects. Carden also made an audio recording of the cast during the table read.

According to Schur, one of the reasons he knew the show could pull off something so challenging was because, "Orphan Black did it 100 times." That being said, both Carden and Schur acknowledged that there were multiple times during filming that the writers and crew would look at each other after shots and ask, "that was fun, but what if none of this makes any sense?"
Sepinwall's review
Mike Schur on how they filmed the Janet-only scenes: "We did the scenes a few different ways — some had multiple D'Arcy-heighted stand-ins, for eye-lines, and sometimes she was just by herself in a white room, acting to no one. It was wild. There was also a pole with a weird lip mold so she could 'kiss herself.' I think she went a little crazy. In a fun way!"

Last edited:

Tater

Oct 30, 2017
This show just keeps delivering in ways I didn't think I wanted. I hate to say it, but I hope it doesn't go on too long - I'd rather have it end before it loses its mojo.

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
Oh man that was so much fun. I miss Orphan Black's shenanigans!

Same here. Sara pretending to be Rachel or Cosima pretending to be Allison.

Such a great showcase for D'Arcy. Even before the clothes swap she was nailing the different versions.

All the talent involved with creating this episode should reward themselves with a nice piece of corner cake.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This just might've been the best episode of the series since the S1 twist. Just god-tier stuff, and Janet is now definitively the best character on this show.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This episode is made even better by the fact that Janet felt a tad underutilized this season (the bar fight aside). It made up for it, and then some

Aarglefarg

Oct 27, 2017
But the podcast suggested that Jimi Hendrix was in the good place because of his podcast with Mozart.

EDIT: Oh right, Mozart falls into the last 500 (227) years too!

Last edited:

lacer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This episode is made even better by the fact that Janet felt a tad underutilized this season (the bar fight aside). It made up for it, and then some
i was gonna mention this. i noticed it and i've seen a few people ITT and reviews mention the lack of Janet this season, so i wonder if that was a deliberate to lull people into expecting a dearth of Janet before having her play every main character at the same time. i loved this episode

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
But the podcast suggested that Jimi Hendrix was in the good place because of his podcast with Mozart.
Oh no my podcast lore :(

Fucking fantastic episode though. Darcy nailed it. Like, this show's so strange and powerful that one actor pretending to be two characters and a hundred extras in a weird exploding white CG room managed to make me almost tear up. Ain't nothing else like it.

Last edited:

OgTheEnigma

Oct 27, 2017
Liverpool
Wow, that was such a good episode! D'Arcy Carden's performance as the various Janets was brilliant, and Stephen Merchant was a great surprise.

OP
OP
StarCreator

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
Oh no my podcast lore :(

Fucking fantastic episode though. Darcy nailed it. Like, this show's so strange and powerful that one actor pretending to be two characters and a hundred extras in a weird exploding white CG room managed to make me almost tear up. Ain't nothing else like it.
With the way Jeremy Bearimy works, you could make the argument that the 500 years bit was referring to time as the afterlife perceives it and not as Earth does; in which case they basically skim a little bit off the top of Earth's dead on every pass.

There's a few reasons I can think of to make this theory fall apart, but it's not really something written to be airtight anyway.