• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Nov 1, 2017
I am glad they announced a fourth season already, otherwise I would be pretty worried about this show's future. Ratings are down, and they're shifting it around in the schedule.

The ratings were still above average for the network and apparently it does great on streaming and internationally. That, plus critical acclaim, plus NBC not wanting to endanger their relationship with Schur means it was never really in danger.

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
Getting into the Good Place be like

121837.jpg

3bdelilah

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
We've been bingewatching The Good Place and it's fucking amazing. Just finished season 3 and to our horror there's no season 4 yet :(

Tagesreste

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ok, now who was the last / most recent person to get into The Good Place? There has to be a deliberately chosen answer to that question, right? I can't imagine Schur just picking 500+ years out of thin air for no reason!
Someone mentioned earlier that 1497 was when the first modern circulation of "money" that we use now became globalized.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Money existed before the church issued Medina del Campo, this just made a common currency a bunch of people used. Would be a weird thing to cut from.

Somebody mentioned the possibility that somebody bad got into the Good Place and gamed things so nobody else got in, and, well, there is a Borgia in the death list on Wikipedia...

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
There's going to be a very brief period when this show and Brooklyn Nine-Nine are airing at the same time.

It's going to be magical.

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
Oh man, this episode was fun. Janet's actress pulled this off really well. Loved the thumbs up with "Nope!" :D

Also, I loved the accountant.

Finally: Props to everyone who guessed that nobody is getting in the Good Place. And fuck yeah, Michael.

Sai

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
Jason-Janet was the best thing I've seen in my entire forking life. She nailed that shirt lmao.

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe their best episode yet.

Also, there is no way Jason got put into a girl body and didn't immediately at least try to masturbate.

platypotamus

Oct 25, 2017
Lmao, if Schur turns this into a big anticapitalist thing in the final season that will be a HELL of a turn.

Seems very much to be heading that way and I love it. The whole accountant thing in general. The head accountant's line about doug's total being good, "oh wait he's 68, he's doomed" thing seemed pretty obviously a retirement metaphor.

The Climaxan

Oct 27, 2017
NC-USA
*ENTERS THREAD WITH EYES CLOSED

Just started watching The Good Place last night and watched all the way through the Jason reveal. This show is so fucking good.

BORTLES!

*LEAVES THREAD WITH EYES CLOSED

OgTheEnigma

Oct 27, 2017
Liverpool

Just started watching The Good Place last night and watched all the way through the Jason reveal. This show is so fucking good.

BORTLES!

You've made a good choice to start watching! The show's 20 minute episodes also do lend quite well to binge watching, so you could catch up fairly quickly.

The best (and lots of it) is yet to come in later episodes!

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

BORTLES!

I didn't want to quote you about what an amazing fucking ride you got yourself on because I know you'd be stressed about possibly stressed about seeing spoilers ITT because getting quoted just made you open the thread again, but since 3 people quoted you already, I'll just add to the bandwagon and say I'm really happy for you and I hope you enjoy the wild fucking ride.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
Money existed before the church issued Medina del Campo, this just made a common currency a bunch of people used. Would be a weird thing to cut from.

Somebody mentioned the possibility that somebody bad got into the Good Place and gamed things so nobody else got in, and, well, there is a Borgia in the death list on Wikipedia...

That was me, and I'm sticking with it just on the long long odds that it's right.

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Oh shit, Jameela was a English as a foreign language teacher after being hit by a car at 17 and not being able to walk for a year. And that job got her use to dealing with people

Oct 25, 2017
(a) If you don't listen to the podcast for this show, you should. Marc Evan Jackson (who plays Shaun) is the host and it's fantastic.

(b) If you don't listen to podcasts at all, you should listen to just the most recent episode to hear D'Arcy talk about the experience in much more detail. It's great.

RetroMG

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I am glad they announced a fourth season already, otherwise I would be pretty worried about this show's future. Ratings are down, and they're shifting it around in the schedule.

Whoa I did not realize this was getting another season! I actually thought I had heard that this season was deliberately going to be the last.
I'm honestly kind of torn. On the one hand, yay, more Good Place, but one the other hand, I worry that the show will become stale if they drag it for too long.
But, on the strange glowing third hand I just grew, I also originally thought this show was going to be dull after two episodes, and it's been nothing but delightful, so maybe I should just relax.

Last edited:

lacer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I worry that the show will become stale if they drag it for too long.
this is a totally fair concern, but listening to the podcast has made me confident that Mike Schur and company can handle it. it seems like he has had a vision as to where the show would end up since the beginning (i might be mis-remembering, but i think he's said he had ideas for five season mapped out in his head) and any time it's started to feel like it might be spinning it's wheels, it does some insane shit like the reboots, or the most recent episode.

as a big... "fan" of Lost, i've got a built-in skepticism towards those kind of reassurances, cuz lord knows i've been down the "no really, we know where this is going" road before - but Schur has mentioned he's consulted Damon Lindelof specifically on how to avoid those pitfalls. that doesn't necessarily preclude those potential flaws, knowing that those issues are present in the minds of the people running the show assuages my concerns a bit

Nelo Ice

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Just caught last week's episode. Holy forking shirt balls at D'arcy Cardenas performance. Janet Jason slayed me. Lets do white people things!.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Whoa I did not realize this was getting another season! I actually thought I had heard that this season was deliberately going to be the last.
I'm honestly kind of torn. On the one hand, yay, more Good Place, but one the other hand, I worry that the show will become stale if they drag it for too long.
But, on the strange glowing third hand I just grew, I also originally thought this show was going to be dull after two episodes, and it's been nothing but delightful, so maybe I should just relax.

Im not that worried about it. Underneath all the afterlife weirdness this is a show about ethics and what it really means to be a good person. No shortage of narrative ground there

It's not "friends" or similar where the relationship drama is the point and the show runs out of gas after strip mining "will they won't they" as much as possible.

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
I think the writers mentioned having plans for at least 6 seasons? Or something like that?

Did I imagine it?

It's obvious the show isn't just about getting these people to heaven anyway, but reforming the whole system, which could easily take a lot of seasons.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
D'arcy was on Keep It!

And she was a crazy good guest, too. Honestly it was like there was just suddenly a 4th host in the room.