• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
That's actually an interesting idea... especially if one of the ones that doesn't improve ends up being Chidi, somehow. Now that would be a stressful but interesting setup.

I could honestly see this happening. Eleanor's affection for Chidi is making her forget why he was sent to the bad place in the first place. He is a good teacher, but without being confronted with his flaws, he will never grow past his devout Kantian perspective.

Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix
Brett called Simone a bitch.

It was bench.

I'm half expecting some kind of tie, where two of the people show real improvement and two don't or are worse.

My guess is that the results turn out to be comparatively unimportant to the overall narrative since the next episode is supposed to be the last day of the experiment.

I think that between Michael giving Bad Janet the manifesto and Glenn we are seeing the seeds of potential insurrection in The Bad Place so even if the Judge decides to send everyone to The Bad Place the rules of the place now operate much differently.

Infi

Oct 27, 2017
Tahani telling Chidi that a unicorn had just died then correcting herself to say "not a unicorn, it was a normal horse that someone stabbed in the head" was brilliant.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The Brett stuff finally reached a boiling point, to the point where even Chidi had enough of his shit, wonder where they're going with his character

SixtyFourBlades

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
There's no redemption for Brett. Not in my eyes at least. Dude is insufferable. Mild catharsis when Chidi punched him.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
Podcast is still good. A lot of this Brent stuff was directly referential to the Kavanaugh hearings. Grim.

I can totally hear that actor saying "I like beer!" at the beginning of a rant about how he's so unfairly treated.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
I'm surprised the other 2 experiment people and Chidi haven't realized that they're not in the Good Place yet. I guess no one is as perceptive as Eleanor.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
I'm surprised the other 2 experiment people and Chidi haven't realized that they're not in the Good Place yet. I guess no one is as perceptive as Eleanor.
Eleanor has long since been really perceptive. I think the show framed it as her constantly being on the defensive and having an all-time bullshirt detector.

OP
OP
StarCreator

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
New episode tonight:
Help Is Other People
On the last day of the experiment, Chidi is faced with one final ethical dilemma.

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
Because:
People being used to torture each other in Hell, which of course was the whole setup of the show, is the premise for Sartre's play "No Exit." It's about that exact thing, a small group of people who are in a room with each other, but there's no physical torture, demons, or anything. They are each other's torture.

The most quoted line from the play is "Hell is other people." For a bit more dialogue, "So this is hell. I'd never have believed it. You remember all we were told about the torture-chambers, the fire and brimstone, the "burning marl." Old wives' tales! There's no need for red-hot pokers. HELL IS OTHER PEOPLE!"

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
Because:
People being used to torture each other in Hell, which of course was the whole setup of the show, is the premise for Sartre's play "No Exit." It's about that exact thing, a small group of people who are in a room with each other, but there's no physical torture, demons, or anything. They are each other's torture.

The most quoted line from the play is "Hell is other people." For a bit more dialogue, "So this is hell. I'd never have believed it. You remember all we were told about the torture-chambers, the fire and brimstone, the "burning marl." Old wives' tales! There's no need for red-hot pokers. HELL IS OTHER PEOPLE!"

Interesting, thanks! I'd never heard of that.

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
Interesting, thanks! I'd never heard of that.
You bet! :) Speaking of this:

Way back at the very start of the show, in either the pilot or episode 2, Elanor is talking about her (presumed) dead parents with Chidi. And she says to him, "I bet they are both in the Bad Place. They could be used to torture each other...that would work."

I wasn't clever enough to pick that up the first time. But when I went back to rewatch this show in anticipation for this season, I was like :O

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
Wow, Chidi came closest to figuring it out without knowing it.

Edit: HE FIGURED IT OUT! And the first one to do it too. I don't think he ever figured it out in the previous experiments.

Last edited:

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
I liked the Simone turn. That throws the whole thing on its head when any points gained could be rendered moot depending on how much she actually believed it. And hey, Brent actually was in the middle of genuinely apologizing. I wonder if that's going to turn into a Neville Longbottom "last 10 points" sorta thing.

Good episode. I'm excited for it to jump off. That half the season was just in the town makes me think they focused the budget in realm-hopping in the last seven episodes.

Hecht

Too damn tired
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
I kinda saw that coming, but man the double evil laugh LOL

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Really loved this episode. Simone revealing her thoughts on the experiment while the Jason lie got revealed was the energy this season has been missing. Was hooked on the ep from that scene all the way to the end

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Another great episode. As far as I can tell, they're all fucked. Simone has had ulterior motives and has been playing along the entire time. Both her and John left Brent to fall into hell as far as they know. And with Brent, it's hard to see how that one sincere apology, assuming it's even counted, is supposed to make up for how awful he is, especially when they're still using that points system.

Then again, they're not in the real world where just existing basically prevents you entering the Good Place, so maybe it's not as bad as it looks...

I kinda saw that coming, but man the double evil laugh LOL

That was some damn good fanservice lmfao

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
LOVED this episode, this should've been the plot from episode 5. It took way too long for us to get here, but I'm glad we still have a lot of episodes left to deal with this fallout.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
It's obvious the big fuckup is that 4 didn't know they were at risk of going to gell unlike the original 4 where two of them or at least eleanor got better because they were afraid of going to hell so they had an incentive to improve

Great episode nonetheless

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
That was a great episode. Great cliffhanger. I don't know how we still have, what, 7 episodes left?

Sai

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
Holy fucking lol at the double cackle. That was incredible. And Eleanor doing her best season 1 Michael impression is so, so good.

also huge lol @ Chidi finding Michael's lyrics.

OP
OP
StarCreator

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
It's obvious the big fuckup is that 4 didn't know they were at risk of going to gell unlike the original 4 where two of them or at least eleanor got better because they were afraid of going to hell so they had an incentive to improve

Great episode nonetheless
Yeah, it seems to me they focused too much on creating situations designed to nurture their improvement rather than situations designed to take them out of their comfort zone.

AquaRegia

Oct 25, 2017
In a show all about philosophical truth, Jason's speech about prevent defense was the truest thing ever said.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
That was a great episode. The double evil laugh was amazing. Can't wait to see the next one.

I honestly don't know how things will shake out.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
That was a pretty great episode! The double evil laugh was so good. It also felt like Brent was going to say sorry to Chidi but I bet he'll actually be saying something like "I'm so so so sorry you feel that way" or "I'm so so so pissed that I ended up in The Bad Place!"

Now that the experiment is finally wrapping up, I can't wait to see how the rest of this season will play out.

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
So...hmmm..if what it took for Brent to realize that he needed to apologize was the literal threat of damnation, that sort of...validates the existence of the bad place in a way. Like that's very old-school Christian "only the perils of hell keep Man in line"

The motivation to be a better person shouldn't be that you'll be punished if you don't, which is something the show has been pretty good at expressing in the past. I wonder if there's another swerve coming

Frankish

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Great episode. Maybe the judge will be convinced by Chidi's improvement that the system is rigged. It only takes one person to show it's possible and it would make him the hero.

W-00

Oct 27, 2017
So...hmmm..if what it took for Brent to realize that he needed to apologize was the literal threat of damnation, that sort of...validates the existence of the bad place in a way. Like that's very old-school Christian "only the perils of hell keep Man in line"

The motivation to be a better person shouldn't be that you'll be punished if you don't, which is something the show has been pretty good at expressing in the past. I wonder if there's another swerve coming
I don't think it was the threat of damnation that got Brent to apologize (if that's what he was going to do). They weren't being threatened with it, after all. It was something that was, as far as they knew, going to happen anyways. Brent had no reason to think that apologizing to Chidi would help him. I think it was that faced with proof that the very laws that govern the universe had determined that he was an ashhole, Brent finally had a moment of self-reflection and wanted to try to make amends for the sake of it.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017

It's not the threat to hell that made him realize he had no benefit to apologize at that point

It just him finally having a moment of self reflection and realizing that he's an asshole

Which in hindsight what they should have done make him self reflect instead of babying the humans which ironically what Simone said

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it seems to me they focused too much on creating situations designed to nurture their improvement rather than situations designed to take them out of their comfort zone.

This is absolutely it. The only times we really saw development in the characters were when they introduced direct conflict. They needed to do that more, and that's why the experiment didn't progress as smoothly as they had hoped.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
Can we talk about Disco Janet? Because I want to talk about Disco Janet.
Okay, so this is maybe going to be the nitpickiest thing I ever say, but since nobody's gone to the Good Place in 500-odd years, nobody in their timeless community should ever have been made aware of disco, so there should be no Good Janet outside of our own that should ever find reason to go full disco.

(Ignore me. It was a fun gag.)

VioletVVitch

Oct 27, 2017
Okay, so this is maybe going to be the nitpickiest thing I ever say, but since nobody's gone to the Good Place in 500-odd years, nobody in their timeless community should ever have been made aware of disco, so there should be no Good Janet outside of our own that should ever find reason to go full disco.

(Ignore me. It was a fun gag.)

But all Janet's know everything.